20 replies to this topic

#1 AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hello, I am a new user and i am now so confused. I have been reading for the past 6 hours on using tftp server across the network and try to get my Toshiba Portege working again. Please excuse my ignorance but here it goes.
I have a portege M200 tablet pc. I have to install windows on this unit. as you already know, there is no cd nor floppy. i tried to boot from an external dvd but it would not work. so then I tried to boot from the network by using tftp as my server. okay. I am very confused on what and how to use these files...
<<< Extract the pxe loader:
cabextract <Source dir>/i386/STARTROM.N1_

- Modify the name of the loader from NTLDR to XPLDR:
sed -i -e 's/NTLDR/XPLDR/gi' startrom.n12 >>>
okay, how do i go about extracting these files so that we can edit and rename??? I have searched all over and I can not find a cab tool to extract and edit. i have found a Cabviewer and thats all it does - it veiws!!!
Okay, I did get the unit setup where it sees my server and it has been issued a ip address but then it comes back and says: pxe-E32: tftp open timeout?????? WTH!!!!!
these are the file that I have in my root: my winxp folder (shared), memdisk, pxelinux.o tftpd32.exe, pxelinux.cfg (folder), nu2boot.imz Now my m200 is seeing the server but thats all its doing. any help from anyone out there that can be of assistance. I am stuck. I really don't know what else to do. Thank you so much in advance!!!!

#2 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

• Which guide are you following?
  • Have you seen Sherpya's guide[1]
  • Have you seen diddy's guide[2]?
  • Is a TFTP service running on your server? (If not, that's your PXE-E32 error explanation.)

[1] RIS for Linux
[2] Setting Up A Windows XP PXE Server

#3 AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Shao,
Thanks for the reply to my thread. I did look at sherpya's post and this is where I was totally confused as to what tools I needed to get and from where. I was getting confused as to what it was asking plus, it was about 4am this morn that I had found it. I did not see Diddys guide but I am going to review this today and hopefully, when I get home this eve. I will know more of what to do...
I also do have the TFTP Service running on one of my units that I am using for this task. the Toshiba unit is seeing it and the TFTP Server is broadcasting a IP address and it is connecting, However, it sits there and then times out. almost like as if the default file in the cfg folder is not pointing to my boot file, but it is!!!! thats what is so confusing as to why its not connecting. I am liking Diddy's Post and will rewrite everything to accomodate his instructions and will see what happens on that!!!!
( I might be down, but I will never Give UP!!!!)

Thanks Again!!!!!
AnthonyJ

#4 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

The DHCP service (or ProxyDHCP service a.k.a. "PXE service", if you have one) tells the PXE client at least two important things:
  • A boot filename
  • The TFTP server to download from
Please don't confuse DHCP and TFTP, even though both services can reside on the same server. Your error suggests that the PXE client cannot connect to the TFTP service. This could be because:
  • You have no TFTP service running
  • You have not specified the TFTP server to use in the DHCP parameters
I think that you think that pxelinux.cfg/default has something to do with your error, but it doesn't. You don't even get as far as downloading that file, and that file is not a DHCP parameters file.

#5 AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

hmmm, interesting. I will look more into this service and make sure that I am running it. in my root folder i have the tftpd32.exe file. what I am doing is clicking on this file, and i setup my parameters, boot file, ip address, etc. then I will save it, shut the prog. down and restart. then I let it run.. is this my tftp server??????????

#6 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

TFTPD32 provides both DHCP as well as TFTP services, yes. Add it as an exception in the Windows Firewall, if you have one.

#7 AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Okay no firewall running. at least i am okay on that end of it......now when the computer connects to the server, does it go directly to the pxelinux.o file and then to the confg file????? thats why i thought maybe it wasnt connecting on that end but you said that its not even getting that far???? I am determined to get this!!!!!

#8 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

If you see the PXE-E32 error, the BIOS'/NIC's PXE stack has not gotten as far as downloading pxelinux.0. Perhaps you could paste your TFTPD32's .INI file here inside code /code tags? Like [tag]...[/tag]

#9 AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

up ohhhhh, I dont have a tftpd32.ini file in my root dir - in fact no where that i know of?????

#10 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

Save settings and close the program, then it should be in the same directory TFTPD32 was run from.

#11 AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

wow, I have looked and there is definitely no .ini file!!!! Could this be a problem for my connectivity????

#12 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

Maybe you are using a newer version than I have and it doesn't use an .INI file. It's hard to say, in that case. Do any DHCP leases show up in the program when it's running and you PXE-boot your troubled computer? Do you see anything useful in the TFTP logs? Are your server's IP address and subnet mask congruent with the parameters you have chosen for the troubled computer? Go ahead and share your server's IP params and those that you are choosing in TFTPD32, if you like.

#13 AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

here is my logview.txt file:
Rcvd DHCP Discover Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 00:0E:7B:47:DC:93 [11/06 13:49:04.500]
DHCP: proposed address 192.168.0.255 [11/06 13:49:06.750]
Rcvd DHCP Discover Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 00:0E:7B:47:DC:93 [11/06 13:49:06.828]
DHCP: proposed address 192.168.0.255 [11/06 13:49:08.750]
3704 Request 2 not processed [11/06 13:49:08.828]
3704 Request 2 not processed [11/06 13:49:08.890]
Rcvd DHCP Rqst Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 00:0E:7B:47:DC:93 [11/06 13:49:10.484]
Previously allocated address 192.168.0.255 acked [11/06 13:49:12.750]
3704 Request 2 not processed [11/06 13:49:12.828]

#14 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

If you are using the subnet mask 255.255.255.0, then the IP address you are assigning to the client is illegal. Having all-ones in the host portion of an IP address is reserved for the broadcast address. Even .254 would be fine.

#15 Nightshifter

Nightshifter
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

I've been able to boot my server blade from a windows 7 x64 ultimate machine running tftpd, and I'm using the dhcp server, no firewalls etc.
But when I get into the Windows PE prompt ie. x:\windows\system32_ ... i can't do anything because for some reason i'm no on the network ...
I mean i can use the commands, but if i try to ping another IP, or use net or netsh, it's all errors because the volumes or ip's don't exist, which they don't because i'm not on the network for some reason, but i'm in the windows PE. I wish someone could help me figure that out, been stressing over it for days now... :/

#16 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:07 AM

...I wish someone could help me figure that out, been stressing over it for days now... :/

Always good to ask, but maybe in your own thread? :)

I would have to guess that your PE does not have your NIC driver, or is not starting it. You can look in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ for your NIC driver.

#17 Nightshifter

Nightshifter
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:26 AM

Sorry about that. Tried to start my own thread, seems I'm not allowed yet since I just signed up. NIC driver issue eh ? Which NIC driver, the target machine or the machine with tftpd32 on it ? If so, where do i put the inf files, what directory ? thanks :)

#18 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:33 AM

...Which NIC driver, the target machine or the machine with tftpd32 on it ?

...have to guess that your PE does not have your NIC driver...

If so, where do i put the inf files, what directory ? thanks :)

I have no idea about Windows > Server 2003, sorry. For XP/2003, .INF files typically go in the \Windows\Inf\ directory. .SYS files typically go in the \Windows\System32\Drivers\ directory. Good luck.

#19 Nightshifter

Nightshifter
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:39 AM

Oh, the server machine is using windows 7 x64 ultimate. I get a command prompt on the client .... x:\windows\system32_ .. but when i type ipconfig /all i just get, Windows IP Configuration .. that's it. Ah, so when the client machine is booting, it needs those NIC drivers, or it won't be on the network when the command prompt comes up in the PE...
so the nic drivers for the client need to be put in some directory or loaded from a USB drive on the client ? sorry about this .. sick pup i am, on too many meds :/

#20 AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:04 AM

Shao - You will never guess what happened. I got it to work using diddo's Tutorial. I wont lie that I was lost but after some sleep and a little bit of rest, I finally got it figured out. Just a little background, I have a Tshiba Portege with of course, No cd nor a floppy. System files were corrupted badly due to a Virus being on this machine. I went and bought a Portable usb DVD Drive for this unit. By the way, it don't work. come to find out, for this particular model _ m200 _ there is no driver avail to make the dvd be read in dos !!!!! so now, my only other alternative was to try and reinstall windows by means of the Network. there for a while i kept getting the PXE-E32: TFTP open Timeout. Error. I realized that my server was talking to it but my laptop was not talking back!! Come to find out it was because of my IP Address that I had assigned. the ip addresses cant be no more than 5 apart. in other words, if you set it up your Server on192.168.0.50 then Your Host computer can't be no more than 192.168.0.55 got the two numbers within one of each other and now they are talking to each other. I am Loading Win XP Tabalet pC Edition and I keep getting Errors during the install and from time to time I get the Blue Screen of Death. I kept my Core File and deleted the I386 Folder and put a Different , Newer, (sp3) tablet edition and still the same type of situation. just different files. so then I loaded Winxp SP3a and I am still getting the same type of situation. anyway, that is a whole new situation. I'm thinking that the Memory may be bad. Ima Buy one tomorrow for 25 bucks.
Thank You Shao. You were really a Big Help in leading and directing me in the same direction.

#21 jiggy

jiggy
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

• Which guide are you following?
  • Have you seen Sherpya's guide[1]
  • Have you seen diddy's guide[2]?
  • Is a TFTP service running on your server? (If not, that's your PXE-E32 error explanation.)

[1] RIS for Linux
[2] Setting Up A Windows XP PXE Server

i followed diddy`s guide, (awesome) but i have 1 a problem. when i boot i get the menu and my seletion, i hit enter and then pops up with tftp failed.

i have followed the guide to the t, even delete it all and redid the whole process, but still getting the same error.

any help please :dubbio:
thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users