18 replies to this topic

#1 stonesonnow

stonesonnow

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

I tried a lot of combinations but didnt work except this one worked 50% with me using grub4dos menu list:

I extracted the (kav_rescue_10.iso) image into the USB stick and also I copied the iso image to the USB, so I have both the ISO image and the exctracted image both on the USB and I edited my menu.lst as follows:

title Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2010
find --set-root /kav_rescue_10.iso
map /kav_rescue_10.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

it worked fine during booting and everything went smooth until i reach the desktop and here i have the problem, first thing i face that EULA empty editable and does not close, so i have to minimize it, and when i try to start the kaspersky rescues program nothing happens!! :cheers:

I tried a lot of combinations in my menu.lst but all didnt work or at the best they gave me same result to what i mentioned.

SO, please anyone could help me with this without posting any links to things that dont work because i reviewed all links about this subject, and nothing works, please anyone has a solution just post his working menu.lst complete and with no mystery words or nonsence links, I would be very thankfull to him. :cheers:

#2 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:09 AM

@stonesonnow

What file-system did you format your USB device with?
If using FAT32 it won’t work :cheers:

Please format your USB device using NTFS as file-system :cheers:

Note: you can reduce ISO-file and only having folder “boot” left in ISO-file.
Folder “rescue” and files “image.squashfs” and “livecd” should be extracted to the root of USB - as you correctly already have done.

yggdrasil

#3 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:29 AM

It can be used as ISO:
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=97266

#4 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:39 AM

@ilko

Great that you managed to get Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2010 up and run using the “free lunch”-alternative – because I don’t :(
And further more – I cannot use FAT32 as file-system – must use NTFS.

If using the “free lunch”-alternative (map ISO as it is) and only have file “livecd” on the root of USB, I always have problem that knoppix can't find “image.squashfs” :cheers:

Note: I have tested this to USB stick and to a USB harddrive same problem occurs. But using method I mentioned, it always works for me – so it’s no big deal :cheers:

Regards yggdrasil

#5 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

@ilko

Great that you managed to get Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2010 up and run using the “free lunch”-alternative – because I don’t :(
And further more – I cannot use FAT32 as file-system – must use NTFS.

If using the “free lunch”-alternative (map ISO as it is) and only have file “livecd” on the root of USB, I always have problem that knoppix can't find “image.squashfs” :cheers:

Note: I have tested this to USB stick and to a USB harddrive same problem occurs. But using method I mentioned, it always works for me – so it’s no big deal :cheers:

Regards balder

I have just tested and followed the linked instructions to the letter. Empty liveusb file in root and rescue folder with the renamed to rescue.iso file inside, on 2GB USB stick.

In both FAT32 and NTFS everything went smoothly. Updated databases and scanned a directory on NTFS partition.

No idea what is going wrong in your case.

#6 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:30 AM

@ilko

I followed your instructions to 100% - including new download (using link you provided) and same thing happens :cheers:
By the way – my motherboard only supports USB-1.1 speed at boot time – which means loading to RAM takes a loooong time - but I can use plop to activate USB-2 at boot time as option :(

But no success :cheers: And if I’m not totally wrong out here – it seems that @stonesonnow have similar problem :cheers:

However – I use my method that works “bullet-proof” for me.
And its no harm if I point out my problem (and how I solved them) – or don’t you agree @ilko :cheers:

Regards yggdrasil

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14258 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

because i reviewed all links about this subject, and nothing works

Yep :cheers:, the post ilko gave a link to must have been fabricated overnight...:cheers:

:(
Wonko

#8 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

@ilko

I followed your instructions to 100%

They are not mine :(

By the way – my motherboard only supports USB-1.1 speed at boot time – which means loading to RAM takes a loooong time

Do not load in RAM, defragment your ISO if needed to be able to load it NOT using --mem option in grub4dos map command.
The line:
map /rescue/rescue.iso (0xff) || map --mem /rescue/rescue.iso (0xff)
will attempt to load the ISO NOT in RAM first and ONLY if fails (fragmented file for example) will load in fully in RAM.

- but I can use plop to activate USB-2 at boot time as option :cheers:

Can you try without PLoP?

#9 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

@ilko

Here is the report:

Test 1:
Launch kaspersky using “RAM-approach” with plop activated (on my “old” machine).
No success – cannot find “image.squashfs” :cheers:

Test 2:
Launch kaspersky using “RAM-approach” without plop activated (on my “old” machine).

Test 3:
Launch kaspersky not using “RAM-approach” with plop activated (on my “old” machine).
No success – cannot find “image.squashfs” :(

Test 4:
Launch kaspersky not using “RAM-approach” without plop activated (on my “old” machine).

Also done test to an “e-machine” (Psss – it’s my wife’s desktop-computer - don’t tell anyone :cheers: )
But same results.

However - as I pointed out – no problem as my method works for me as long as I don’t need to use two “knoppix-folders” at the root – if so – I use the “2-partition philosophy arrangement”.

Note: of course I have run defrag as well – this is not the problem. The problem is more like this; I have never succeed launching “Knoppix-system” using the “free lunch”-way, it always ends up with searching for the “base-file” (the whole folder knoppix or similar) :cheers:

Regards yggdrasil

#10 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

How exactly to you launch it? Where is the ISO file, did you rename it, what are contents of menu.lst, what grub4dos version are you using?

#11 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

@ilko

Quote: ” How exactly to you launch it? Where is the ISO file, did you rename it, what are contents of menu.lst, what grub4dos version are you using?

What grub4dos version are you using? I’m using grub4dos-0.4.4
I only use the file “grub” on the root of USB – in case you wonder
Note: Grub is not unfamiliar to me – used this “boot manager” for several years.

Please note, I have followed you tutorial to 100% :cheers:
How exactly do you launch it? I launch from USB using your tutorial :cheers:
Where is the ISO file? In folder rescue. I repeat - I follow your tutorial :cheers:
did you rename it? Yes, I follow your tutorial :cheers:
Here is the content of menu.lst

default 0
timeout 10
gfxmenu = /wallpaper/boot.gfx.gz (note: I even removed this line from time to time to see if it affects it anyway – but not. And it shouldn’t make any difference)

title Start from harddisk
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader +1
boot

title KAV 2010 Rescue.iso
map /rescue/rescue.iso (0xff) || map --mem /rescue/rescue.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title Launch support for USB2.0
root (hd0,0)
kernel /iso/plpbt.bin

title Reboot
reboot

title Shutdown computer
halt

The only thing I think can be the problem, is the version of grub-file :cheers: (size to mine is 214 kb. Version: 0.4.4). If you have a different (better) grub file – I would highly appreciate if you can point me to download location for this file :(
-----------------------
Regards yggdrasil

#12 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

Interesting...

Grub4dos download links:
http://diddy.boot-la...files/links.htm
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list
http://nufans.net/grub4dos/tinybit/

Grub4dos guide:
http://diddy.boot-la...os/Grub4dos.htm

I guess the file is grldr, not grub, you need only it from the zip files in the links above.

However, I don't think it's grub4dos version the issue, but what else it could be :(

And again, for the record, the "tutorial" is not mine, credits go where they belong to, I only posted a link to it.

#13 kDn

kDn

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

FYI:
Go to the http://devbuilds.kas...s/RescueDisk10/ download actual version (Version kav_rescue_10.iso: 10.0.20.6)

check and read file:
\kav_rescue_10.iso\rescue\help\English\help.chm

section

"Writing Kaspersky Rescue Disk to a removable drive -> Writing Kaspersky Rescue Disk"

Help is updated and corrected. You can speed up yours iso loading by truncated boot-iso-file.

#14 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

@kDn

As far as I can read in help (which I should have done before :cheers: ) is that this is exactly the way I use – this steps:

Open kaspersky.iso-file and extract folder “rescue” and file “image.squashfs” and “livecd” to the root of USB.
Delete folder “rescue” and file “image.squashfs” and “livecd” in kaspersky.iso-file and save it as kav.iso (or whatever you like).

You can put kaspersky.iso-file wherever you like for example in a folder “iso” - I use a folder “iso”. So my simplest menu.lst looks like this:

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /iso/kav.iso
map /iso/kav.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
boot

But I use NTFS as file-system as I haven’t read how to fully modify ISO-file :cheers:
Works great :cheers:

Thanks @kDn for info
yggdrasil
-------------------------------------
@ilko

Quote: “I guess the file is grldr, not grub”

Of course – I wrote the wrong text (one text in the brain and another on keyboard – he, he not my best reply :( )

Note: I have tested different grldr-files (including the one in grub4dos-0.4.5b) and same result.

Strange is that you can launch a “knoppix-system” using the “free lunch”-alternative (directly map ISO-file) – but I cannot with this knoppix :cheers:
Very frustrating as it’s more complicated to have several “knoppix” on same root.
But as always – there is workaround for that problem as well :cheers:

Okay – let’s leave this for the moment, as I successfully can use my own way to solve this issue :cheers:

Thanks for your cooperation @ilko :cheers:

Best regards
yggdrasil

#15 stonesonnow

stonesonnow

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

thnx , but am lost still :(

#16 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

@stonesonnow

Read HERE
:(
yggdrasil

#17 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hello,

When I try to boot from a KAV Rescue Disk 10 in native mode, I get a white blank screen that sits there for a few moments and then linux starts booting. After the boot is done, I end up with a black screen. If I do the same thing under Vmware workstation, I get the KAV display screens. Anyone know why the screens are not displayed in native mode?

The Avira rescue disk uses a different linux and that works great in virtual and native modes. Has anyone had success with the KAV rescue disk booting from a ThinkPad T500?

Thanks..

#18 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hello,

When I try to boot from a KAV Rescue Disk 10 in native mode, I get a white blank screen that sits there for a few moments and then linux starts booting. After the boot is done, I end up with a black screen. If I do the same thing under Vmware workstation, I get the KAV display screens. Anyone know why the screens are not displayed in native mode?

The Avira rescue disk uses a different linux and that works great in virtual and native modes. Has anyone had success with the KAV rescue disk booting from a ThinkPad T500?

Thanks..

Fixed with KRD ver. 10.0.26.6

#19 markhelp

markhelp
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:37 AM

how can you do this with syslinux?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users