Build 048 - log of changes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

Build 048 - Log of changes in this release

Link to download page

MD5 check: 06B15B2ED57CBCA3DE80A7CC6DAC50A7 OpenBuilder048.zip

- Fixed misplaced image when processing scripts in maximized mode

- Processing image is now rescaled and proportional to fit a smaller frame

- plugin support: the registry hives were not being loaded as supposed - fixed

- Exchanged the position of sources tab with options tab in the script windows

- Fixed ExtractAllFilesIfNotExist, it wasn't working.

- Interface web links are using Verdana as the default font

- processing sections from interface buttons will no longer push automatically the view for the log window

- Added %username% to reflect the current name of the user logged in

- Added %userprofile% where all files and settings from the current user are located

- Added %tag% on the right click menu on source editor

- Added %day% %month% %year% to support date handling

- New interface component: FileBox, wich allows to select a file

- Exit command will only force exit from current script and will continue to process other scripts

- Added %version% to display the version of openbuilder

- Added a new interface component: Filebox, wich allows to select files or folders from the interface.

- Fixed right-click menu options "Uncheck selected" and "Check selected" they weren't working properly

- Added new command StrFormat, with four functions: date - to format a string into a date, and bytes - to convert a value in bytes to easier to understand values like Kb, Mb, Gb.., inc and dec to respectively increase or decrease the value of a variable

- Fixed a problem when trying to change the process level on links

- OpenBuilder window no longer freezes whenever it's running scripts

- Added a button to stop the script processing at any given moment

- Encoded files window has nicer icons and the size of the window was also adjusted

- Added PicoXP project by psc

- Adapted the standard and picoxp projects to work together based on psc developements

- Copy&expand script is using psc's workaround to the mouse issue

- Added the explorer shell script by Ove

- Removed nanoXP from the projects

- Removed xoblite and a43 scripts

- 048 zipped distribution is now 3,10 Mb

The overall result is a much more stable openbuilder release.

Openbuilder itself had a lot of bugfixes that were reported by users, now the application itself runs in multithreaded mode, wich allows to follow the log window while the scripts are being processed. This has also the advantage of adding a stop button to quit the execution of the process at any moment. The program will no longer seem hanged when processing long scripts.

All scripts have suffered a deep clean up, and I've added most of PSC improvements shown on picoxp - this allows to have a better sense of organization on how things are processed. PSC really made excellent progresses pushing scripts to a much more stable state - keep it coming!! :P

Let's hope that this time the mouclass.sys problem is gone for good, I'm just waiting for TheHive's word on this release, whose beta testing limits have been pushed around a lot - Thanks for your time helping us TheHive! :P :P

Also added the explorer and ramdisk scripts by Ove, these scripts along with the standard project will create a bootable ISO file sized in 42Mb for windows XP and around 48Mb for windows 2003 as source. Ove deserves credits for an excellent work!! :P

Zharif has contributed a lot with an advanced shell selection for xoblite/explorer/cmd with wallpaper support for nanoxp and standard projects but his work was not yet ready for this release. I really liked this idea, thank you! :P

And to everyone who keeps posting feedback, suggestions and helping out on making more advanced builds - Thanks! :P

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4168 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:57 PM

You forgot to link to the download Thread.

Great release. I like the new changes.
The fact that now it doesnt freeze when building ISO and running scripts. It annoyed me, and as you stated, it seemed as if Open Builder was frozen. Also the stop button is a good addition. The Standard version having the Explorer Shell is great.

Ran the Standard build Scripts and the creation of the ISO and all seem well. But, yes there seems to be a but on this one also. When It runs I cannot see the Small CD Writer anywhere as a shorcut in the start menu. I can see that it is in the ISO build under \Programs\ScdWriter .
Also there is something wrong in the Layout. It seems some of the build layout is in another language. The Time is represented in military format, can it be made to Regular human time. lol! As you can see in the Screenshot the time is in another language. Cant there be options that a regular person can choose from. For example show time in Military or regular time and\or what languge you want it showing.

Posted Image

The Ram Script has a better layout. Im guessing the Dual Ram DIsk is going to have to wait till It works better.:P
Bad Idea to give the user the Ability to type the Drive they want as the RamDisk because I just typed AV: and as I guess, If a person does type something else other then A-Z they will get an error during boot up. The Drive letters should have a dropdown menu to choose a drive.

Error when you specify something other then A-Z as the RamDrive.
Posted Image

The PicoXP Builds Ok and the Command Prompt comes up as expected.

#3 dirkgently42

dirkgently42

• Advanced user
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:39 AM

I would very much like to see an md5 hash accompanied with each new "build" download.
(this is a seperate issue from the script hash)

md5deep (sourceforge) is a good app for command line
md5summer and hashonclick are ok installed apps (referenced at ubcd4win download page)
I like hashonclick!

#4 Draugen

Draugen

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:06 AM

+1 for an md5 hash of the openbuilder download.

Also, the OB+scripts dowload is growing quite fast... perhaps it is time to split the pack up? e.g one download for the executable + tools, and one for each project?

there are still some people on dial-up out there ya know :P

--martin

#5 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:23 AM

when It runs I cannot see the Small CD Writer anywhere as a shorcut in the start menu.

I just wanted to ensure that this release worked fine with your windows source, the next step is adding those customizations.. :P

As you can see in the Screenshot the time is in another language. Cant there be options that a regular person can choose from. For example show time in Military or regular time and\or what languge you want it showing.

You are right, I think I've included again my portuguese settings instead of the english ones provided by Ove, I will check things again, thanks for noticing this!

The Ram Script has a better layout. Im guessing the Dual Ram DIsk is going to have to wait till It works better.ohmy.gif
Bad Idea to give the user the Ability to type the Drive they want as the RamDisk because I just typed AV: and as I guess, If a person does type something else other then A-Z they will get an error during boot up. The Drive letters should have a dropdown menu to choose a drive.

Error when you specify something other then A-Z as the RamDrive

Ove is making a new ramdisk script, so I'll add it when he publishes it.. :P

+1 for an md5 hash of the openbuilder download.

The scripts already use MD5 to be checked, I'll try to add a simple and easy solution to use in the future, thanks for tips.

Also, the OB+scripts dowload is growing quite fast... perhaps it is time to split the pack up? e.g one download for the executable + tools, and one for each project?

there are still some people on dial-up out there ya know :P

--martin

Yes.. the 048 package is already smaller in 2Mb than 047.. :P

I've removed both the xoblite and a43 scripts to save some space. Perhaps future scripts are written to download the binaries as people need them, rather than bulking the general download..

#6 Draugen

Draugen

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

*snip*

The scripts already use MD5 to be checked, I'll try to add a simple and easy solution to use in the future, thanks for tips.

Yes.. the 048 package is already smaller in 2Mb than 047.. :P

I've removed both the xoblite and a43 scripts to save some space. Perhaps future scripts are written to download the binaries as people need them, rather than bulking the general download..

You misunterstand me :P

what i mean (and dirkgently82, i assume) is to generate an md5 hash of the download in the release thread.

and, when a new OB is released, in addition to the monolithic pack w/all projects, also have:

openbuilder_v048_final.zip (includes the standard \tools\*.*)
nunos_scriptpack_ob48.zip
picoxp_ob48.zip
...etc

//martin

#7 dirkgently42

dirkgently42

• Advanced user
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:43 AM

what i mean (and dirkgently82, i assume) is to generate an md5 hash of the download in the release thread.

Yup!, that's what I meant.

I am having a few issues building at home on my XP PRO box, still trying to nail it down from the logs.
(seems to build ok, attempts to launch in QEMU, but fails to boot, then attempts to reboot repeatedly in QEMU)

I finally figured out that I had to add the scripts for xoblite and A43. DOH!
So, even after I added those scripts, I get the same behavior as noted above. (added the .link files plus the real files in the archive folder)

I would appreciate it if someone could confirm the MD5 hash, just so I can eliminate the possibility of a corrupted download. I have downloaded a few times and both show the same hash.
Thanks! :P

06B15B2ED57CBCA3DE80A7CC6DAC50A7 OpenBuilder048.zip

#8 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

[quote name='dirkgently42' date='Aug 2 2006, 12:43 AM' post='597']
Yup!, that's what I meant.

I am having a few issues building at home on my XP PRO box, still trying to nail it down from the logs.
(seems to build ok, attempts to launch in QEMU, but fails to boot, then attempts to reboot repeatedly in QEMU)
[quote]

Does the ISO works on Virtual PC or Vmware?

Could it be related to lack of memory on the emulated machine?

I was reporting similar errors on Ove's explorer script until I increased the memory to 186Mb (my local machine has only 256Mb of RAM so I can't use much more emulated RAM resources..)

The problem was that the ramdisk was not being created - I abused the emulated RAM resources using ramboot on UPX'ed system32 files with a Qsoft ramdisk of 32Mb and having to leave some free space for windows itself to run.. it was just too much.

Perhaps not upxing or avoiding the ramboot option gives the expected results.

[quote name='dirkgently42' date='Aug 2 2006, 12:43 AM' post='597']
I finally figured out that I had to add the scripts for xoblite and A43. DOH!
So, even after I added those scripts, I get the same behavior as noted above. (added the .link files plus the real files in the archive folder)
[quote]

You shouldn't need to add those scripts, it is supposed to run explorer both as shell and as filemanager from the standard project.. :P

[quote]
I would appreciate it if someone could confirm the MD5 hash, just so I can eliminate the possibility of a corrupted download. I have downloaded a few times and both show the same hash.
Thanks! :P

[/quote]

Mine is the same as yours:

Just installed HashOnClick it works really well, but it's too bad the application is sized in 1,70Mb, I'll make a custom right md5 check application to include inside the tools folder to be included in future packages. This will give people a good tool to check the MD5 on their zipped files.. :P

#9 FeReNGi

FeReNGi

• Advanced user
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

Why not including SDI technology and forget the ramdisk ?

Everything you need can be found over here : http://msdn.microsof...ng/default.aspx

#10 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

Why not including SDI technology and forget the ramdisk ?

Everything you need can be found over here : http://msdn.microsof...ng/default.aspx

Sure, it's possible and SDI is quite more effective. Unfortunatelly I'll be busy on the next few days working on 049, otherwise I'd surely jump in.. :P

#11 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

I would very much like to see an md5 hash accompanied with each new "build" download.
(this is a seperate issue from the script hash)

md5deep (sourceforge) is a good app for command line
md5summer and hashonclick are ok installed apps (referenced at ubcd4win download page)
I like hashonclick!

Just installed HashOnClick it works really well, but it's too bad the application is sized in 1,70Mb

Based on hashonclick I've made a GNU app significantly smaller (180Kb) to be used from the right click menu as well..

http://www.boot-land...p?showtopic=130

It will be included inside the next release, and this way people can check the MD5 without needing to install anything else..

:P

#12 Yorn

Yorn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:19 PM

Views: 490 | Downloads: 141

Even supposing that only half the downloads are actual OpenBuilder users, we sure don't see them posting on here, only browsing. Wonder if they are making forum accounts.

#13 jaymcjay

jaymcjay

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

They have to have forum accounts to download. Heck, I just made mine yesterday :P

There's always a tendency to be have lots of "lurkers"; MSFN has plenty, slickdeals.net has plenty.

#14 dirkgently42

dirkgently42

• Advanced user
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

reg.exe [Registry Console Tool] ----the hive problem on win2k host
"....cannot find reg.exe or one of it's components"
.... can't find reg.exe error:
Posted Image

building with reg.exe version 5.2.3790.1830 win2k3 (Not good)
...error with win2k3 reg.exe version:
Posted Image
The win2k3 version of reg.exe, of course, ends up in %target% \ system32 .

building with reg.exe version 5.1.2600.2180 XP SP2 (Good!)

The win2k system at work is a corporate unattended install with no I386 folder.
It is missing reg.exe in C:\WINNT\system32.
Solution: as CWorks suggested, copy reg.exe from XP source to system32 on win2k.

I didn't understand that reg.exe needed to be on the host system. Now it works! :-B

After this fix worked, I went back to build 45 .
rege.exe is found ok, but still get
"File SETURG.HIV could not be loaded." blah,,, setup cannot continue--- when launched in qemu.

So, the hive script is fixed in build 48 using wink2k host.

projectinfo:

[Created]
HostOS=Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
OpenBuilderVersion=048
[OS]
Type=W2003
OldOS=None
SubType=Enterprise
ServicePack=sp1

#15 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:59 AM

This REG.EXE is a real headache :P , the frustrating part is that it is only needed to import .reg files..

If the .reg files we're translated in .script syntax, it wouldn't be needed any of these workarounds and openbuilder would likely even work on windows 95.

Does anyone know any free commandline app that can import .reg files? :P

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:10 AM

The W2000 install CD contains reg.exe in the support directory.
So you just have to copy it one times from there.

Or:
Instead of
ShellExecute,"hide","reg.exe","import #$q%hivedir%\%hiveREG%#$q"
write
ShellExecute,"hide","regedit.exe","/s #$q%hivedir%\%hiveREG%#$q"

Peter

Edited by psc, 04 August 2006 - 10:27 AM.

#17 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:01 PM

Yes, RegEdit /s is likely to be an universal solution for all win based OS - I'll give it a shot, thanks for the tip! :P

#18 Yorn

Yorn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

I just downloaded this on my home computer to show someone and setup the standard build (didn't update) and I got a couple errors:

An error has occurred while setting up "browseui.dll" This error has been logged, the installation will continue
An error has occurred while setting up "shdocvw.dll" This error has been logged, the installation will continue

Then it reboots. Don't know why it happened, but I thought I'd let you know. Build was based off of Windows 2003.

#19 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

Have you increased the size of the emulated RAM?

There are a few issues related to this whenever you create a build using UPX, RAMboot option, RAMDrive and Explorer - I think it simply eats up too much memory on emulated machines, increasing the RAM solved my problems.

It's not needed to rebuild - just increase the RAM and retry or try to boot from real hardware to see the result.

At least I hope this solves your case - there seems to be another one related to some windows 2003 sources, if this continues hapenning, post your log file to let me have look into it.. :P

Good luck! :P

#20 jaymcjay

jaymcjay

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

Have you increased the size of the emulated RAM?

There are a few issues related to this whenever you create a build using UPX, RAMboot option, RAMDrive and Explorer - I think it simply eats up too much memory on emulated machines, increasing the RAM solved my problems.

It's not needed to rebuild - just increase the RAM and retry or try to boot from real hardware to see the result.

At least I hope this solves your case - there seems to be another one related to some windows 2003 sources, if this continues hapenning, post your log file to let me have look into it.. :P
Good luck! :P

I really don't think it's a lacking of RAM that's causing the problem, Nuno. I had the exact same problem after emulating 512mb in qEMU and VMware. Switching to an XP SP2 source solved it for me. The question now becomes: Why isn't Windows 2003 source working?

#21 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

jaymcjay - It is really a good question.. :P

Yorn:

Can you please use xoblite as shell (not running the explorer script) and check if the ramdrive is created on your win2003 source?

Does your log show any errors using either shells?

I wonder why this happens.. :P

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:47 PM

I really don't think it's a lacking of RAM that's causing the problem, Nuno. I had the exact same problem after emulating 512mb in qEMU and VMware. Switching to an XP SP2 source solved it for me. The question now becomes: Why isn't Windows 2003 source working?

I think you are wrong.

On my system the standard project runs with XP as well as with W2003 if the ramdisk is enabled.

[attachment=102:attachment]

If the ramdisk is disabled both sources fail and bring the errors described above.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users