• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#76 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

I'm confused... Here are the steps I did to run on Windows 2000 SP4 English host:

1. Installed Windows 2000 Pro Sp4 integrated English from an original boot disk (no modifications applied).
2. Installed WinRar (needed for openning and making archieves).
3. Installed network adapter (needed for downloading files).
4. Installed video adapter (just for better screen resolution).
5. Downloaded nativeEx_barebone.zip from here.
6. Unpacked WinBuilder.exe (v068 - beta 6) into nativeEx_barebone folder.
7. Ran WinBuilder and downloaded Tools folder (with content) from updates.boot-land.net.
8. Downloaded ALL content from psc.boot-land.net\Projects and closed WinBuilder.
9. Made a nativeEx_barebone.rar archieve with all content using WinRar for future testing.
10. Inserted XP SP2 CD into tray (disk G:).
11. Run WinBuilder and didn't touch ANYTHING on the first tab, directly went to the second tab Paths and selected drive G: for Source directory.
12. Run Play button for creating build.

Result 1 - bsod...
See attached oleg2_w2k_clean_xp_source.zip file for log and Temp folder content.

Ok.
13. Deleted folder nativeEx_barebone with all content and extracted clean files from nativeEx_barebone.rar (prepared in step 9). Makes the test absolutely clean.
14. Changed CD disk in tray to Windows 2003 SP1 English (original download, no modification made).
15. Run WinBuilder and didn't touch ANYTHING on the first tab, directly went to the secont tab Paths and selected drive G: for Source directory.
16. Run Play button for creating build.

Result 2 - bsod...
See attached oleg2_w2k_clean_w2k3_source.zip file for log and Temp folder content.

PS Forgot to mention: when manually installing Windows 2000 I've added support for Russian and Chinese Simplified writing (default language for the system is still English).
Both disk (XP and W2k3) were used for successfull builds on XP SP2 English host with the same set of files.

Attached Files

#77 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

Now I suspect: there is something running on your W2k that is used during WB run.

Or: it is somehow connected with languages on host system (the same situation is in XP and it works but when I tried once in XP SP2 Chinese Simplified - WB just freezes on first scripts).

To check it out I can re-install Windows 2000 without Chinese support or install clean Windows XP or 2000 Chinese Simplified to run tests on.

#78 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

I confirm once again: the nativeEx works fine in qEmu after building from XP SP2 English and W2k3 SP1 English sources in XP SP2 English host (just run the tests with the same prepared in 9th step files).

#79 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

Now I suspect: there is something running on your W2k that is used during WB run.

Right!
Easy to say what happens:
On your w2k system it is not possible to load the setupreg.hiv hive (The other hives can be loaded)

Difficult to say why it happens:
Currently I have no idea.
I'm making some tests with making setupreg.hiv read-only.
Maybe I burn a cd.

Maybe it takes a long time, but knowing what is happening is the necessary first step to find a solution.

EDIT: Test finished: With a read-only setupreg.hiv my ISO brings the BSOD!
:P

Peter

Edited by psc, 14 February 2007 - 12:44 PM.
New information

#80 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

I did the reverse test and made setupreg.hiv read/write:
ISO runs!

@Oleg II: Can you copy your CD to HDD, make all read/write and try again?

@Nuno: You should think about
  • FileCopy changing the attribute or
  • having an 'Attrib' command
For now, I'm going to do this by ShellExecute.

Peter

#81 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

@Oleg have you already compared the files of a build done on w2k and a build done on WXP?
What differences did you find?

#82 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

You mean: I need to copy the content of installation CD to hard disk and uncheck Read Only attribute for SETUPREG.HIV?

Thanks! :P

But I can test only in a few hours :P You know... it's Valentine's Day today :P Somebody needs some attention :P

#83 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

You mean: I need to copy the content of installation CD to hard disk and uncheck Read Only attribute for SETUPREG.HIV?

Thanks! :P

But I can test only in a few hours :P You know... it's Valentine's Day today :P Somebody needs some attention :P

I just want to have this test to proof that my theory is correct.
In the mean time I'll change nativeEX_barebone to set the read/write.

So: After finishing your attention-actions, when you come back tomorrow, try the new version with your CD.

Peter

#84 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:31 PM

I couldn't go without a quick test :P On Oleg's Special of course :P

It took a while when desktop appears... I couldn't even take a breath... :P

But it works!!! :P

I feel good!!! :P :P :P

psc you are DA man! :P

Thank you very much! :P

Now I'm in the lines again :P

#85 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

So the problem was a ro attribute on the SETUPREG.HIV? :P

#86 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

So the problem was a ro attribute on the SETUPREG.HIV? :P

It was
  • The ro attribute
  • AND w2000 host
ro on XP host: ok
rw on w2000 host: ok

There is only one people knowing the background: Bill G!

Peter

#87 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:33 PM

It was

• The ro attribute
  • AND w2000 host
ro on XP host: ok
rw on w2000 host: ok

There is only one people knowing the background: Bill G!

Peter

What the hell did Oleg kick out of his W2k? :P

#88 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

What the hell did Oleg kick out of his W2k?

I kicked out only bloatware :P My Windows small and really quick (fast?). And it can do nearly everything XP does :P The only problem - I can't run it from CD or USB that's why I'm interested in PE environment :P

It appears that it's not connected with my customization anyway. It's just something that is different between XP and W2k :P

#89 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

What the hell did Oleg kick out of his W2k? :P

In spite Oleg II has a special W2000, the 'author' of the troubles is really Bill G:

I can reproduce the issue on my (STANDARD!) W2000.

Peter

#90 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:13 AM

Updated one script: working on W2k host with a CD as a source! :P

One note: maybe it's qEmu (I have not tested the build on real computer by now) but it seems that pressing Start > Shut Down doesn't work for the first time and I had to press it once again to get Shut Down Windows.
Shall check it on real computer then :P

psc
Two questions:

It maybe not a question for you - maybe I turned it off but I can't see Drivers folder in the project view :P

Why don't you include USB support script into the project? This component seems to be a core component for all computers for a few years already. And it's very useful in recovery environment if I can use a USB stick to recover files to or just boot to recovery system from it.
I know, I can place the script in the project myself, but I'd like to know your opinion :P

#91 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:32 AM

One note: maybe it's qEmu (I have not tested the build on real computer by now) but it seems that pressing Start > Shut Down doesn't work for the first time and I had to press it once again to get Shut Down Windows.

It happens when you use PELoader.
Try: Uncheck the MiscSettings script and in the Explorer script uncheck 'Dont set Explorer as shell)

It maybe not a question for you - maybe I turned it off but I can't see Drivers folder in the project view

I did not include driver scripts to the barebone project.
The necessary drivers for qEmu and VirtualBox networking are included by PENetwork.

Why don't you include USB support script into the project? This component seems to be a core component for all computers for a few years already. And it's very useful in recovery environment if I can use a USB stick to recover files to or just boot to recovery system from it.
I know, I can place the script in the project myself, but I'd like to know your opinion

I do not have USB mouse, keyboard or hdd. So I cannot test.
And I do not include untested stuff in the nativeEx project.

Peter

#92 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:32 AM

Some quick notes:
Downloaded the new updates with the 68 beta 6.

Recommend putting somethig that will remind the user to download the tools folder from the LiveXP.

The Command prompt is still coming up. I thought there was a way to hide cmd promps.

I was wondering why when I was testing the new PE Network Manager 9beta why i was being told that it could not find the network card. I remembered those where included in this project. Then I remembered that there was a drivers folder and checked and noticed that you dont include the Scripts but include the files in a folder named Virtual Net Drivers in the Drivers Folder. Makes sense but you didnt mention this in the updates post.

If a person is testing PE Network Manager Script they must remember to add the path to the drivers for the Network harware to be recognize for qemu and the other emulators: %ProjectDir%\Drivers\Virtual Net Drivers

Building still works with updates.

#93 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

psc
You don't even have a USB stick :P
Maybe you should get one - it's very convinient to move files between remote computers (from home to office for example), to share files with friends and for recovery purposes when there is no other hard disk nearby available.

I understood about drivers. I was just confused that there is a Drivers folder in updates but no Drivers folder in the project.

About that command window... let me see... I remember something...

Aha! There is a small utility for Unattended installations:

CMDOW - a command line Window Utility
Recent feedback from the MSFN Forums have shown that users may want to hide the command window from the end-user. There are also a number of other features included, so check out the site above for a full list.

Extract cmdow.zip, and then copy cmdow.exe into: C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$$\System32\ (This allows cmdow to be executed from anywhere when placed in the Windows System32 Directory)

Usage: cmdow @ /HID

Can be downloaded here

But I'm using just another way: specify this command on the top of a batch file and you will get a small command window with a message (colors can be changed according to your liking):

@echo off
MODE CON COLS=40 LINES=3
Title Wellcome Window
color 1e

echo My message text

#94 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

psc
Just found that some files for qEmu are different in nativeEx and LiveXP. What is the reason?

#95 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

psc
Just found that some files for qEmu are different in nativeEx and LiveXP. What is the reason?

In nativeEx I'm currently installing qEmu 0.9.0

This will include a changed qEmu.Script. Driver will be RTL8139 which is in XP and W2003 (Currently used RTL8029 is missing in W2003)

Peter

#96 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

Winservices program is none English.

#97 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

Winservices program is none English.

Is it spanish? That is the original language. But I think I delivered the English dll, too.
Let me check!

Peter

#98 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

I dont know but Im noticing that the new Qemu is using a lot of CPU and When I try to get out of the Emulator by Ctrl + alt key, I have to press them alot before I can get out of Qemu.

The Welcome Script Included in the Apps needs more detail. I dont think its working. I like the icon.
I dont see the the Welcome message in previous builds.

When I go to the StartMenu - Startup and then Click on the Welcome properties. it seems to be pointing to the "Program" folder not the Program Files. The actual Welcome Htm seems to be put in the OffByOne Folder. What if the user is not using this browser but the Opera Browser.
4.jpg

#99 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:35 AM

I dont know but Im noticing that the new Qemu is using a lot of CPU and When I try to get out of the Emulator by Ctrl + alt key, I have to press them alot before I can get out of Qemu.

You can always switch between qEmu 0.8.2 and 0.9.0 by download either from LiveXP or nativeEX_barbone.
Try the old one and compare. If it is really faster, there is no need to use the new one.
(The RTL8139 driver also works with the old one).

The Welcome Script Included in the Apps needs more detail. I dont think its working. I like the icon.
I dont see the the Welcome message in previous builds.
it seems to be pointing to the "Program" folder not the Program Files. The actual Welcome Htm seems to be put in the OffByOne Folder. What if the user is not using this browser but the Opera Browser.

It is just a useless, but nice looking addon I gave into nativeEx_barbone.
And that nativeEx_barbone only has ob1 ...

When I go to the StartMenu - Startup and then Click on the Welcome properties.

In startup there is a (working) shortcut to <path>\welcome.htm.
Because ob1 is registered to *.htm it starts with welcome.htm as argument.
The reason why there is an uncomplete shortcut shown, should be answered by Bill G.

Peter

#100 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:07 AM

You can always switch between qEmu 0.8.2 and 0.9.0 by download either from LiveXP or nativeEX_barbone.
Try the old one and compare. If it is really faster, there is no need to use the new one.
(The RTL8139 driver also works with the old one).

Peter

I just redownloaded the old one from the LiveXP project and tested.
At bootup the CPU is 100. Same with the new Qemu.
But with the old one I can get out of qemu to real PC faster. And once on the desktop it uses less CPU.
WIth the New Qemu CPU seems to remain at 100. At this time I preffer the old one.
Maybe when the new qemu is developed more and Vista is supported we can upgrade to it. Or we can have a seperate Download for Others to test. That way we can get which one others prefer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users