Photo
- - - - -

DiskGenius 3.3.0525 OFFICIAL (including DOS)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

now this is what i have been dreaming for last 6 months ,

AN OFFICIAL ENGLISH DOS VERSION of the 3.2 series . and they just did it .

too bad , i read my mail too late ,that Dgen sent me about it (it was 2 weeks before) .

anyways following is the new web link to the tool ,

http://dgisok.com/

(click on download )

it is shareware now , but as far as i could see ,there is no time stamp and no feature restriction .

the package includes the dos version too . although it is not in ready to use manner .
in case u guys need it , let me know .

(once it is installed, u can go to program files ,in its directory and u can use it portable by copying the files from there . )

by the way , it seems that the chinese version will remain FREE . :cheers:
BUT the good thing is , DOS english version is still freeware.
and thats what i needed BADLY . its dos version .

edit :

here is the dos version (FREE DOS) . download the win version from the official link i mentioned above.

dos version of 3.3.0525

http://filebeam.com/...0964cf3830b7499

edit 2 :

only DOS version has a limitation of Copying or deleting files from the hdd. it can be overcome by registering the windows version . thanks to fuwi for reporting it ,\

here ,

http://www.boot-land...mp;#entry100512

edit 3 :

i noticed another FEATURE RESTRICTION .

i tried partition recovery option yesterday . diskgenius found my partitions , and it asked me to " save partition table " . when i tried to do it , it said to REGISTER diskgenius . :cheers:
i tested it in WINDOWS version only ,

edit 4 :

the above LOST PARTITION RECOVERY restrictions is not included in DOS version .
updated the dos version to 3.3.0525 . windows version can be downloaded from the main link i posted above . it is updated today . (as of 26th May 2010)

i ll be updating the restrictions shortly one by one of windows and Dos versions.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

Good news :cheers: though I don't understand. :cheers:

The DOS version is unusable :cheers: AND Free?

:P
Wonko

#3 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

Good news :cheers: though I don't understand. :cheers:

The DOS version is unusable :cheers: AND Free?

:cheers:
Wonko

when you will install the app , and go to its program directory , and open the DOS folder , you will know what i meant . :P

Dgen , for God knows WHY , did not release a .img file containing the DOS file of diskgenius . instead he copied all the files needed to make a dos floppy ( FREE DOS) as well as dos exe of the tool in DOS directory .

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

Dgen , for God knows WHY , did not release a .img file containing the DOS file of diskgenius . instead he copied all the files needed to make a dos floppy ( FREE DOS) as well as dos exe of the tool in DOS directory .

Good. :huh:

Why don't you supply the info needed by the less experienced users to make a floppy image from those files?:lol:

If the "base" is FreeDOS, there is no problem in getting a "standard" FreeDOS floppy image:
http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/
and add/replace the files with the ones in the download.

Wonko

#5 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

it was in my mind . but i was in hurry .

i ll release a img file tonight . as well as a little autoit based loader (NOT a crack) to get rid of pressing " register later " every time the windows version is loaded .

#6 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

updated the first post . with download link to both dos and win version .

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:43 AM

it was in my mind . but i was in hurry .

i ll release a img file tonight . as well as a little autoit based loader (NOT a crack) to get rid of pressing " register later " every time the windows version is loaded .

Personally I find an autoit that presses automatically the reminder a crack :lol:, only poorly implemented. :cheers:

The good news is that being not anymore jaclaz the Admin of the board, it is unlikely that you will be kicked out of it for this.

The bad news is the feeling of sadness and sorrow you induced in him due to the evidently complete and utter futility of all the time he spent trying to explain how a software is property of it's Author and about the need to comply fully with it's license. :huh:

Wonko

#8 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

Personally I find an autoit that presses automatically the reminder a crack :cheers:, only poorly implemented. :cheers:

The good news is that being not anymore jaclaz the Admin of the board, it is unlikely that you will be kicked out of it for this.

The bad news is the feeling of sadness and sorrow you induced in him due to the evidently complete and utter futility of all the time he spent trying to explain how a software is property of it's Author and about the need to comply fully with it's license. :(

Wonko

it was not my intention .

anyways i have edited my 1st post. and u could use nice words instead of kicking around .

#9 agni

agni

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 270 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Thanks a lot Maanu

I am using this code to load the DGDOS.IMG

title Boot Disk Genius

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /DGDOS.IMG

map /DGDOS.IMG (fd0) 

map --hook 

chainloader (fd0)+1 

rootnoverify (fd0) 

map --floppies=1

Can you please tell us how you created the DGDOS.IMG file?

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Personally I find an autoit that presses automatically the reminder a crack :cheers:,

Interesting philosophical question. Is a program that presses a button for me a crack?
If so, what about a script or a macro, i use to automate a task?
Does a programer have the right, to force me, to manually press the buttons of his program?

#11 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:10 PM

Interesting philosophical question. Is a program that presses a button for me a crack?
If so, what about a script or a macro, i use to automate a task?
Does a programer have the right, to force me, to manually press the buttons of his program?

i had this in mind . but i just did not want to argue anymore . thats why i removed the link .

he (with all due respect) is overly obsessed .

#12 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

Thanks a lot Maanu

I am using this code to load the DGDOS.IMG

title Boot Disk Genius

map /DGDOS.IMG (fd0) 

map --hook 

chainloader (fd0)+1 

rootnoverify (fd0) 

map --floppies=1

Can you please tell us how you created the DGDOS.IMG file?

i did not create it . it is official img file from their old chinese version . i just replaced the chinese exe with english exe (the one in this release).

by the way the code SHOULD be ,

title Boot Disk Genius
map --mem /DGDOS.IMG (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Yes, unless you pay for his work, and the button is removed by the registration process.

Quick reminder:
someone works, using his time and knowledge to produce a program/app/whatever, then he decides:

• to release the product of his work as FREE <-everything is OK
    OR:
  • to release the product as Shareware/Commercial <- here the problems begin

IF #2. he either:
  • releases a FULLY FUNCTIONAL version in order to allow you to try it for a reasonable amount of time before paying him for his work, putting a small nag screen to remind you that you really should show your appreciation for the program if you intend to continue using it beyound the trial period
    OR:
  • releases a CRIPPLED, only partially functional, TRIAL version, possibly overlayed by a number of useless protection code to prevent you from using it beyond the intended trial period or to use all it's features

This program appears like being of type #1. above.

It doesn't seem to me that difficult to understand how by providing any means of bypassing the will of the Author you contribute to induce programmers to choose #2. which means even less freedom and "worse", more bloated programs.

Let's assume that this particular program is a very good one, and has a particular feature that no other similar program has or has it implemented in a particularly "easy" or "convenient" way.
  • If program is released/coded as #1, the one time you will need it in an emergency, you will be able to use it freely and for free, and the small nag won't be a problem.
  • If program is released/coded as #2 , the one time you will need it in an emergency, the feature you need WON'T be available.

If you use it for more than a "casual" or "trial" use, if the program is correctly priced, and IMNSHO this particular one at US$49.95 is not very highly priced, if it delivers everything it promises, you should contribute to the programmer's wealthness by paying for his work.

In other words, the more people will use tricks to workaround Authors' will and avoid paying the fair price he asks for his work, the more we all will have more crippled, worse programs.

I perfectly know it's all wasted time anyway to try to explain this concept to you, I guess it's the nth time I try to , with NO apparent result . :cheers:

@maanu
Just in case, you are perfectly free to think I am obsessed, but I won't stop expressing my opinions on this and other subjects, and I feel free, within the limits of the forum Rules, to adopt whatever language and approach I see fit.

Wonko

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

Yes, unless you pay for his work, and the button is removed by the registration process.

It doesn't seem to me that difficult to understand how by providing any means of bypassing the will of the Author you contribute to induce programmers to choose #2. which means even less freedom and "worse", more bloated programs.

If you use it for more than a "casual" or "trial" use, if the program is correctly priced, and IMNSHO this particular one at US$49.95 is not very highly priced, if it delivers everything it promises, you should contribute to the programmer's wealthness by paying for his work.

In other words, the more people will use tricks to workaround Authors' will and avoid paying the fair price he asks for his work, the more we all will have more crippled, worse programs.

I start to agree with maanu.
There was nowhere in any post implied, that anyone would use the program for longer than the author allows for, yet you see everyone cheating the author. :cheers:

As for the authors will. Every button is meant by he author to be pushed by the user. Therefore using any script or macro or tool like ghostmouse to click buttons is violating the authors will, even if you've paid for the software.

For instance paragliders HwPnP clicks automaticly away driver installation dialogs. If it would have been the authors will, that the installation can proceed without bugging the user, he would have provided for a switch that disables those dialogs.

Or how about the authors will of Malware? They don't wont you to remove their software. So as law-abiding citizen should we keep it?

Or applies complying to authors will just with nag screens in your opinion?

How about downloading and installing a software upon need into a PE? The software will always start the grace period by 0. No matter how often you've already used it. This would not be possible on a real XP, unless the registry is thoroughly cleaned.
Is resetting or cleaning the registry allowed? It violates authors will to keep a constant marker on your system.

#15 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

As already said:

I perfectly know it's all wasted time anyway to try to explain this concept to you, I guess it's the nth time I try to , with NO apparent result . :cheers:

The horse has already been beaten to death. :cheers:

I do know well your rhetorical tricks (in this case that of transposing the actual issue into a generalized concept that bears no valid link to the specific case).

However accusing me of making an enthymeme:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthymeme

There was nowhere in any post implied, that anyone would use the program for longer than the author allows for

is a nice twist. :cheers:

In case you missed it, the topic was that of a "good" program Author, which was kind enough to release his apps with a "grace" period of FULL functionality, with a small reminder that if you use his software you should pay for it, nothing connected to malware, instaaling drivers or whatever else.

And yes, most people, given the means to save money without any consequence, nor nag, will attempt to do it.

I start to agree with maanu.

I am happy for you. :(

BUT:
http://en.wikipedia....9;t_give_a_damn

Wonko

#16 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

I do know well your rhetorical tricks (in this case that of transposing the actual issue into a generalized concept that bears no valid link to the specific case).

:cheers: i had the exact opposite problem with your post above. You're trying to circumvent the question of the legality of the automatic push of a button, by declaring it the same problem as ripping off the author and thereby making it illegal.

I don't know if i'm the exception or not, but i don't spend time finding freeware replacements for software that i like. I spend time finding the best suited software for my needs and don't care about free-, share-, or buyware.
But even though i pay the 'author', that does not mean, that i don't hack the software.
Most commonly i fix labels of buttons, remove - or add buttons to the toolbar or just plain reorder them. Another favorite of mine is, to fix a program so that the default options are my options. That prevents troubles with the program forgetting my prefered settings.
So while not ripping the author off, i definitly do something against his will.

So you see going against authors will and ripping him off, are two seperate things which can happen together, but do not have to.

Would probably be interesting to know what the individual authors prefer, getting paid for the software and me hacking it, or me not buying and using it.

In case you missed it, the topic was that of a "good" program Author, which was kind enough to release his apps with a "grace" period of FULL functionality, with a small reminder that if you use his software you should pay for it, nothing connected to malware, instaaling drivers or whatever else.

Aren't you a little old to still classify things as good and bad? There is not good and no bad. Every soldier killing another soldier on the battlefield is always regarded a hero by his peoples and a villian by the opposite peoples.

Software is eighter useful to you or not.
Your personal opinion about a piece of software, should however not influence your opinion on the subject in general.
Making up different rules for identical things, upon personal preferences, has always been proven to be a bad idea.
See for instance treating people differently based on gender, skin color, religion, ......

And yes, most people, given the means to save money without any consequence, nor nag, will attempt to do it.

Now i'm confused. Do you believe that people will use the program as freebee once the nag screen is removed or do you believe that they will use the program as freebee regardless.
Cause if the later and it sure sounds that way, then i understand even less, why you're trying to connect the automatic pushing of a button to the illegal use of the program.

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

Now i'm confused. Do you believe that people will use the program as freebee once the nag screen is removed or do you believe that they will use the program as freebee regardless.
Cause if the later and it sure sounds that way, then i understand even less, why you're trying to connect the automatic pushing of a button to the illegal use of the program.

Let's say that, generally speaking, people is forgetful :cheers:, and that's exactly the reason why a reminder is placed by the Author.

Specifically, removing the reminder helps forgetful people to continue using the program indefinitely, without their conscience (if any) nagging them, which translates in ripping the Author (fair) request for a price for his/her work in most cases.

Wonko

#18 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

So your problem is, that 'the automatic' makes it more convenient for people, with questionable morals, to rip off the author, not that 'the automatic' by itself would make it possible to rip off the author, what imo is the classical description for a crack.

#19 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

So your problem is, that 'the automatic' makes it more convenient for people, with questionable morals, to rip off the author, not that 'the automatic' by itself would make it possible to rip off the author, what imo is the classical description for a crack.

Here you are wrong (again) I have no problems. :cheers:

And I presume that people without questionable morals wouldn't use a crack anyway.

Given that questionable morals is a thin line, I see not much difference between something that:
  • occasions
  • helps
  • assists
  • induces
  • allows
people to rip the Author from the money he asks for his work and/or
  • supports
  • promotes
  • inspires
circumventing the specific nag screen.

JFYI:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=15431
http://www.911cd.net...o...=15431&st=3

I really cannot see any diffference between binary cracking a file to remove a nag screen and provide an automated programs that oh - so quickly - makes it disappear, apart from the fact that is, as said, also a bad implementation.

And again, as said, this is:
  • NOT a problem
  • my personal view on the matter with NO practical consequence of any kind on this board

You, like anyone else, are perfectly free to have a (wrong BTW :() different opinion on the same matter.

Wonko

#20 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

I really cannot see any diffference between binary cracking a file to remove a nag screen and provide an automated programs that oh - so quickly - makes it disappear, apart from the fact that is, as said, also a bad implementation.

So in your view, if i would sit right beside you and click the nag screen away fast, before it can annoy you, then i would be a crack too? :cheers:

btw. Implementation is all that stands between something being legal or illegal.
Fresh from german news:
If someone uses my WLAN illegaly for illegal stuff, then > I < comit a crime, if i have not set a personalized password. If i have, i don't.

The exact same happens in both cases, yet are legaly very differently treated.

#21 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:51 PM

ok its been almost 2 days since i REMOVED that damn version from the
1st post .

i dont know why a thread with a very good app , went into a argue-war.

you guys are free to argue , but plz take this to a new thread ,with something like ,

AUTOMATIC BUTTON pushing script is a crack or not .

if it proves as CRACK ,come to Pakistan . charge me . and Hang me.

#22 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Thanks for the invitation, never been to Pakistan. :cheers:

edit: Can't split the topic, i don't have admin rights here.

#23 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:52 AM

i dont know why a thread with a very good app , went into a argue-war.

Sure, this is a far from perfect world, life is tough. :cheers:

edit: Can't split the topic, i don't have admin rights here.

Well, maybe you can use the duplicate thread :cheers::
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=11344

Wonko

#24 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

Well, maybe you can use the duplicate thread :cheers::

Nah, that's to short. Not worth splitting! :cheers:

#25 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

V3.2.2010.10:

Bug fixed: The process of recovering lost files will be terminated when bad track encountered.
Bug fixed: The software can not respond the Delete key stock when DiskGenius is open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users