•  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:16 AM

This is a report on Win7PeSe project.
Project announced in this post:
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=96799

UPDATE: An updated version of this project announced in this post:
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=97577

UPDATE 2: A yet further updated version of this project here (April 20 2010)--this version is reported to solve the bitlocker problem I had:
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=98413

UPDATE 3: The April 20, 2010 pe_se release solves most of the bitlocker issues:http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=98774

I successfully built an x64 Win 7 iso on an x64 system using this project. UPDATE: Boot comments provided in this post, including issue with lack of bitlocker support (compared to the true microsoft pe 3.0):
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=97592

UPDATE: rest of post can be ignored now. Thanks to all for the troubleshooting.

1. Project does NOT build on my x64 system if x86 win 7 is the source. If this is supposed to work, let me know and I will attached the log. NOTE: If it's not supported, why not fail gracefully? simply do NOT start a build on x64 if win7 x86 is the source dvd! update: does build with win7 x86 eval enterprise freely available from microsoft.

2. Folder in which project is extracted MUST be in root of C:\ and MUST be named "testWin7." When folder is not named testWin7, the build fails. This obviously should be corrected. Log attached here of this failure.
UPDATE: did not recur once folder was deleted and recreated with new name and once newer build of project used.

3. Have not tried to add any custom scripts. Does this support the same scripts as win7rescuepe and nativeEx7 projects do? UPDATE: yes so far.

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:49 AM

Hi techvslife,

1. yep this is supposed to work. My hostos is x64 and so far I mostly tested Win7PE_SE with Win7RC1_7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us and Win7RTM_7600.16385.090713-1255_x86 both results with success.

2. I never used C:\testWin7\ for test folder , your log says you make a build with x64 source and following line fails because dism.exe file not there

FileCopy - Failed to copy [%BaseDir%\Temp\Win7PE_SE\InstallWimSrc\Windows\SysWow64\dism.exe] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\Win7PE_SE\Windows\SysWow64\dism\]: The directory name is invalid.

problem probably on your source,
here is my test build using Win7RTM_7600.16385.090713-1255_x64 as source (+ base folder E:\1\1\Win7PE_SE_04_04_2010\xxWin7PE_SE_04_04_2010\ )
http://lancelot.winb...00410_083702.7z
compare with your log :)
here boots nicely with emulator. (ps: Papeuser more frequently makes source x64 tests and may have ideas for you case)

3. Apps scripts (Application scripts, scripts at Apps folder) are most common interproject scripts. You can even take scripts from LiveXP, VistaPE-Capi etc. to Win7Pe_SE :cheers:. We have Apps section for such scripts, and there are personal collections around.

However, scripts that are out of Apps folder (or not defined as a general use script) something you should practice and learn.

Tip: Win7PE_SE do not contain any Apps script to keep distribution smaller and easier. However folder is ready to ease copy/paste :cheers: . End user can find & add such scripts around easly :cheers:

Keep in mind, Project is under heavy construction of JFX marvelous work. :cheers:

#3 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:05 AM

1. ok. I see other reports on problems with building x86 with this, so I assume that may get fixed later. Don't need x86 version if my apps work on x64 version. I will say the error for the x86 attempt was strange (since I never mentioned a drive E in config, or a folder Win7PE_SE either):
E:\Win7PE_SE\Projects\Tools\Win7PE_SE\x86\imagex.exe
The system cannot find the drive specified.
2. The source dvd did not change--all that changed was that I renamed the folder as mentioned. The source dvd is ms original rtm win 7 x64 dvd and is valid (md5 etc). uac is off.

UPDATE: Both resolved.

3. ok, i'll copy and paste the apps folder from the other 3 projects I've tried. or is it 4.

#4 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

2. The source dvd did not change--all that changed was that I renamed the folder as mentioned. The source dvd is ms original rtm win 7 x64 dvd and is valid (md5 etc). uac is off.

Lancelot told you that there could be a problem with your source ... I told you the same for the other projects ... please try to get another source and test with that ... 3 projects with problems that could be explained by your source

#5 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:17 AM

1. they will :)

2. I advice you

a_)
redownload from post 1
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=10693
b_)
extract to a new folder (lets say C:\techvslife\ )
c_)
than double click winbuilder.exe, select source cd and make a build.

(do not do anything else)

I feel this time you will have success. (IF your source is okey)
my x64 source md5 are:

7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso
F43D22E4FB07BF617D573ACD8785C028

7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso
98341AF35655137966E382C4FEAA282D

3. better you select scripts you like (projects have common scripts with different versions), besides it is your decision.
In order not to miss one important thing, amalux's LiveXP package http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4111 also contains many very good apps scripts which you can easly use. I am pretty sure you will like them.
:cheers:

#6 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

As noted in post linked below, solved problem in one project (nativeEx7) with ms eval version and turning 8dot3namecreation on. Doing further tests. will update once I know more.

http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=97507

UPDATE: 8dot3 not the cause of the problem with building. Perhaps at issue with windows aik imagex.exe failure.

#7 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

Himmm,

I do not have
7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_enterprise_en-us_EVAL_Eval_Enterprise-GRMCENXEVAL_EN_DVD.iso
at hand to test with Win7Pe_Se (Which I guess it is your test source from your reference link).

But more important, disabling 8dotnamecreating is not default on any windows I know.

as written here
http://www.theelderg...me_creation.htm

DON'T... or at least, add a remark that doing so might prevent some MSI-based programs from installing, exiting with a cryptic (what else, it's Microsoft.. :) error. Can't remember which one though.

It has cost me four days a while ago to track down this one on a production server of one of our clients to be able to get pcAnywhere 10 installed.

and probably there would be more things....

Most important, thank you VERY MUCH for informing, you remind me another important thing to test briefly :cheers:.

#8 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

I use latest version of win7pe_se on win7 x64 and build from win7 x86 RTM source downloaded from MSDN subscriber site. My built win7pe se runs in vmware and on real machines when booted from dvd or USB.

NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is set to 2 on my PC.

#9 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

Hi

I am glad you got something to work!

Source is very important in all projects; I have learned that Win7 RC x86 or the free prerelease did not work for me in this project ….

But I am very happy with my x64 build; I have added many add-on scripts. But remember this is a beta project and not all add-on scripts may work at this time.

Another thing to remember with Win7_SE is it’s a Multi Source project, this project should be able to build from (Vista x86, x64) and (Win7, x86, x64).

Shortest Path to Winbuilder or Sources is always good to use for first time users. I have seen people try to run winbuilder from an external hard drive and wonder why they have problems. So for me its KISS (keep it simple) for your first build.

I think Lancelot has tested more Vista and Win7 sources more than me..

Welcome to the club..

#10 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is set to 2 on my PC.

Thanks for that info.

There seems value goes up to 3 with win7
http://groups.google...a31587e844db43c

#11 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

I think Lancelot has tested more Vista and Win7 sources more than me..

Nope PaPeuser, I trust mostly your x64 results :cheers: (+ Fully Trust JFX , yahoouk and Max_Real QNX). I am not a pe2/3 fan and do not know much details about them. I practice time to time to learn and contirubute as much as I can. (since yahoouk's topic back to vistape-capi)

One Reason is, I have a cpu which does not have vt support, hence I can not use vmware or virtual box . I rarely make x64 tests with qemu (slooowwwly booting pe2/3) or by copying to 2nd hd and booting from there (boring).

Keep in mind, LiveXP is also a Multi Source project supporting multiarchitecture sources (xp/2k3 x64 sp2 - 3 etc.).
A benefit for you, Most apps scripts on LiveXP already compatible with other multiarchitecture projects (Leopard, win7pe_se) as well as single architecture ones.

#12 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Nope PaPeuser, I trust mostly your x64 results :rofl: (+ Fully Trust JFX , yahoouk and Max_Real QNX). I am not a pe2/3 fan and do not know much details about them. I practice time to time to learn and contirubute as much as I can. (since yahoouk's topic back to vistape-capi)

One Reason is, I have a cpu which does not have vt support, hence I can not use vmware or virtual box . I rarely make x64 tests with qemu (slooowwwly booting pe2/3) or by copying to 2nd hd and booting from there (boring).

Keep in mind, LiveXP is also a Multi Source project supporting multiarchitecture sources (xp/2k3 x64 sp2 - 3 etc.).
A benefit for you, Most apps scripts on LiveXP already compatible with other multiarchitecture projects (Leopard, win7pe_se) as well as single architecture ones.

Hello...
I use mostly Win7 x64 to build and test, first in Vmware then i boot to USB. :) then I will try switching to a Win7 x86 build :cheers: then if all goes well I try a Vista x86 build :cheers: about that time there is a new package and I start over....

AMD Athlon 64x2, 3gig, new HD 500 and a clean load of Win7x64 on test machine. I am surprised at build times, sizes and speed of Win7_SE x64 :) :cheers:

I don’t trust my Vista sources..but so far everything has worked .. until I update my Vista sources I will not report on Vista builds. :)

Edited
I have tested many apps
Avira, AVZ, Mcafee, Opera, runnscanner, sala password, spybot, testdisk, Drweb, Dart, Total C, of course ghost 11,
And I will test more after next WB update

#13 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

I am surprised at build times, sizes and speed of Win7_SE x64 :) :)

This is one of JFX's goal :cheers: which he succeed perfectly. :cheers: I wish I could have more time to support JFX more on this (in time, I will) :)

#14 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

When WB is updated or with next version. I will test more Apps. Till then I am not sure if reporting problems or results will be correct…

#15 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

I just went and tried LiveXP apps in a Win7_SE x64 build. I just copied the entire apps folder from LiveXP to the apps folder in Win7_SE x64 and built.

Build went fine, shortcuts are there, Tested in VMware
Booted to USB, booted fine

All i can say is WOW :cheers: :cheers: :) :)

Heres a logfile

#16 was_JFX

was_JFX

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 483 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

hi techvslife,

i'm sorry for your problems.

FileCopy - Failed to copy [%BaseDir%\Temp\Win7PE_SE\InstallWimSrc\Windows\SysWow64\dism.exe] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\Win7PE_SE\Windows\SysWow64\dism\]: The directory name is invalid.

Problem occurs if, a file is copied to a directory what not yet exist. But the dism folder should exist, as we copy the complete syswow64 folder from boot.wim.

You can check your source, if there is a folder Windows\syswow64\dism in boot.wim index 2?

For other problem with hal.dll, also sorry. Problem came with not selected explorer script.

Sadly this script is a very bad one, containing let's say 90% of files they not belong there.

I already moving system files from it to general copy files script.

If i would clean up this script a lot app script needs to be updated too :)

Current advise to select explorer script for a good build

@PaPeuser
I love your feedback and reporting :cheers: it's always welcome :)

#17 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

You can check your source, if there is a folder Windows\syswow64\dism in boot.wim index 2?

Thanks, I don't know how to load a wim, but the source x86 dvd is definite not the issue--it is direct from microsoft, boots and installs win7 x86 without a problem, and has correct md5. It may be that the install only likes certain kinds of x86 dvds, or it may that something else I did recently (such as turn on 8.3 naming) may be necessary to get the iso to build. But I'm still checking and don't rule anything out.

(btw, does %BaseDir% refer to a correct pathname or is it a legacy SFN?)

#18 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

When I try to use imagex to load boot.wim I get this message:
"This driver has been blocked from loading."

#19 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:17 AM

Comments on x64 build with win7pe_se:
Using the latest win7pe_se from here:
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=97577
(I have uac on again, and 8dot3-naming off again, but no problems this time.)

1. Built and booted x64 win7 pe_se on x64 win7 without problem once missing file issue from other thread was resolved.
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=97591

2. There is a serious limitation, however: it doesn't detect my usb drives!--so not useful for backup/recovery. but maybe there is an addon for that. It really should be part of the main program. but maybe this is a bug of my iso? update: problem resolved. user must run pnp util manually first.

3. Likewise 7z should be part of the main program (i.e. the default download). I'd say: 7z, ultraiso (or other iso loader), truecrypt, and some disk imaging progam should be on there (driveImageXml is free and works with bart's pe so should work here).
Also internet browser should be included by default.

4. serious limitation: unlike real pe, can't decrypt bitlockered drives. it looks like some necessary module was not included. win7 uses system32\manage-bde.exe to do that, but when I run manage-bde.exe with any function (like -status) I get "the specified module cannot be found."

UPDATE: bitlocker issue solved in new release:http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=98774

5. Likewise some useful win7 recovery tools cannot be run because fvewiz.dll and fderecover.dll are "missing from your computer." Presumably I can add those files someway to win7pe_se.

6. Unable to access the internet or network. PeNetwork could not detect my network card (on an asus g2s). update: Problem resolved. user must manually run pnp util first.

Note, as mentioned before, that imagex on my win7 x64 system is unable to load boot.wim or install.wim (for any win7 dvd i have)--it gives the message "This driver has been blocked from loading." This, again, is regardless of whether it builds or not and regardless of uac setting.

#20 was_JFX

was_JFX

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 483 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

(btw, does %BaseDir% refer to a correct pathname or is it a legacy SFN?)

What's legacy SFN :cheers:

When I try to use imagex to load boot.wim I get this message:
"This driver has been blocked from loading."

What exactly do you do (commandline, version of imagex.exe)
And does

net start wimfltr

in command promt shows something positive?

#21 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

tech

After you boot to Win7PE use the PNP util to detect hardware. This will be found under computer management
Open device manager and see you may have to refresh

At this time your network card should be detected, then use PENetwork

I have included Opera and it works

Use or look for programs that work with LiveXP, ....oops. :cheers:
I down loaded LiveXP Apps and have tested most they work,,,

Note, as mentioned before, that imagex on my win7 x64 system is unable to load boot.wim or install.wim (for any win7 dvd i have)--it gives the message "This driver has been blocked from loading." This, again, is regardless of whether it builds or not and regardless of uac setting.

I am not sure what you are trying to do here.. to View whats in a wim files i use 7-zip
Do you have some security settings or third party software running??

#22 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

Yes, not the default but disabling 8dot3 is actually the recommended microsoft setting for ntfs drives (bceause of the speed penalty on 8dot3 names). And reliance on 8dot3 names has been deprecated for a long long time.

The only programs I had problems with were from Norton, from a few years ago (one norton antivirus update suddenly switched to using 8dot3 in the installation routine). It took me forever to get their technical support to recognize the faulty code, so I try to avoid norton products. The difficulty in uninstalling their products stemmed in part from their failure to understand the implications of using 8dot3 names, which can lead to ambiguity issues in install and removal. However, I believe they finally cleaned up their code.

I don't think that 8dot3 turned out to be the cause of the problem I had with pe_se. In any case things are working fine now.

But more important, disabling 8dotnamecreating is not default on any windows I know.
as written here
http://www.theelderg...me_creation.htm

#23 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

I'll try that but note the nativeEx7 guys don't require the pnp refresh step.

I didn't know 7-zip could look at a wim. But i used it and found there is no difference--both of my x86 sources (eval and msdn) do have dism.exe (so "file not found" is not correct), and both are exactly the same. dism.exe is found through the same two paths on each of the sources, as follows:

\sources\boot.wim\2\sources\dism.exe,
size: 202752,
2009-07-13 23:04

\sources\boot.wim\2\Windows\System32\dism.exe:
size: 202752,
mod: 2009-07-13 21:14, cr/acc: 2009-07-13 19:18,

I have no security software running but x64 does auto-stop of unsigned drivers (can't be disabled, or not easily), which is the only thing I can think of at the moment.

tech

After you boot to Win7PE use the PNP util to detect hardware. This will be found under computer management
Open device manager and see you may have to refresh

At this time your network card should be detected, then use PENetwork

I have included Opera and it works

Use or look for programs that work with LiveXP, ....oops. :cheers:
I down loaded LiveXP Apps and have tested most they work,,,

I am not sure what you are trying to do here.. to View whats in a wim files i use 7-zip
Do you have some security settings or third party software running??

#24 techvslife

techvslife

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

sorry old usage:
SFN = shortfilename (8dot3)
LFN = longfilename
SFN is deprecated. LFN is now supposed to be simply "the filename." SFN is supposed to be legacy alias for 16-bit code and win3.1 only. however, programs took a long time to switch.

net start wimfltr gives:
"The WimFltr service was started successfully."

The command line i use:
C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64>
imagex /mount C:\911iso\Win7\Win7_x86_Eval\sources\boot.wim 2 c:\wimmount

The error: Error mounting image. This driver has been blocked from loading.

No one has this problem?
Just unfounded speculation but could these registry entries I tried messed up my win7 x64 system? (From here:)
http://nativeex.boot...Ex/wimmount.zip

The other possibility is DEP or unsigned driver blocking.

What's legacy SFN :cheers:
What exactly do you do (commandline, version of imagex.exe)
And does
in command promt shows something positive?

#25 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

I ..... do not know what your trying to do ... sorry

After build has finished. I go to the VirtualTest folder and run the last build ISO in VMware

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users