• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

Just ran a bunch of boot tests with some new optimizations for NaughtyPE and the astunishing result was.
That 3 old Computers from around 2000 with high quality components (at least back then :)) ran circles around an al cheapo model from 2 years ago, eventhough all components in it, where much higher rated. :cheers:

How can a machine, that has on paper, more power than the 3 combined, take more than twice as long to boot up?

Well eighter a computers ability to boot a PE, is opposite proportional to its abilty to boot a 'normal' XP, or
quality does matter more than quantity. :huh:

:cheers:

#2 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Sometimes you only get quality through quantity.

Quantity allows to decrease the price per unit and get better components at lower rates.

But I'm just playing the devil's advocate. To be honest I also prefer to invest a bit more of money on equipment knowing it will survive on my hands for more than a year.

:huh:

#3 Oddy

Oddy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

I also noticed this phenomenon. I have a old pc and a new one at my house, and when I test my bootable usb key with the old one, the vmlinuz and initrd files take 2 seconds to load. With my new pc (wich is more quality) this is almost 6-7 seconds. No big deal, but still weird.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

Know what you mean, did yesterday a pretty devastating test with my new main machine, which i build with the same quality in mind, than my previous machines.
On paper a P3 1000Mhz with 384MB RAM and a CD-Burner, hardly seems a match for a i7-920 with 8GB RAM and a DVD-Burner.
Yet to boot NaughtyPE on the new computer in a comparable time, it needs to be a RAM-Boot and it needs to load from a DVD instead of a CD and even then, it is consistently 2 seconds slower.
The crux seems to be the loading time of the drive. It's so much slower, that the faster electronics can barely make good for it.
Fun part is, acordnig to the supported read speeds, the new drive should be considerably faster, not slower!

;)

#5 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

Well that might be explained because the windows OS kernel is the same on both tests.

If your older machine is enough to run the boot disk with comfortable resources without making any restriction then the newer machine won't also speed up the execution of processes and the difference between them should be negligible.

I just strange that the drivers loading portion doesn't differ in terms of performance between both.

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

In case of a RAM-boot NaughtyPE the old computer takes 1:08min to load the image and another 31 seconds to boot it.
The new computer takes 1:26min to load the image and another 15 seconds to boot it.

This differnce is remarkable enough by itself. But if i use a CD on the new computer, just like on the old one, then it takes 1:50min to load the image and 15 seconds to boot PE.

;)

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14762 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

Out of curiosity, is the CD/DVD optimized (pesort.txt or the like) ? ;)

;)
Wonko

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

The PE that boot directly from CD used pesort.txt, the ramboot ones not.

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users