#1 ChunkDog

ChunkDog

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:30 AM

Hello,

I have an odd issue. Tried looking everywhere for a solution, but alas, I'm creating this post instead.

The problem I'm having is that I build my LiveXP project, and choose WimBoot to finalize and create an iso. The issue I'm having is the ISO created boots fine in a virtual machine, but doesn't boot on physical machines I try the CD on. Now some machines will boot just fine, others will not. I'm baffled.

I have even tried the pre configured packages that amalux was kind enough to create for the community, and even followed his guide. I get the same results.

I'm building from a fully updated Windows XP Pro install, and using an XP Pro SP2 source.

Anyone know whats going on here, or is booting from Wim still new and this is still being worked out.

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:27 AM

Hi ChunkDog, welcome :cheers:

You need to be specific and focus on one build/one issue till hopefully resolved before moving to next build/next issue. Which project of mine did you have an issue with? Any changes made from the way it downloaded? In my builds, you don't need to 'choose WimBoot to finalize and create an iso', it's setup that way by default.

The issue I'm having is the ISO created boots fine in a virtual machine, but doesn't boot on physical machines

How are you booting the ISO, grldr+menu.lst? If so, please post contents of menu.lst and boot.ini for review.

I try the CD on. Now some machines will boot just fine, others will not. I'm baffled.

What happens on machines that don't boot? Do you get a RAM image loading progress? BSOD? Error? Be specific as possible.

I'm building from a fully updated Windows XP Pro install, and using an XP Pro SP2 source.

Retail SP2 or OEM? Slipstreamed or factory disc? Full or nLited? CD or copied to folder on HDD?

#3 ChunkDog

ChunkDog

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:36 AM

I was using your "lx78sp6cxw" package to build. No alterations made to it, just selected source and built :cheers:.

The source is an XP Pro Vol slipstreamed from SP1a to SP2.

On the machines that dont boot the disk, it either skips booting from CD entirely, or locks up the system to where a ctrl+alt+del wont reboot the machine.

here is the menu.lst contents:

color white/blue  black/light-gray

timeout 10

default 0

[[hook1]]

title LiveXP

chainloader /I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

[[hook2]]

title Reboot

reboot

title Shutdown

halt

no boot.ini, being created by the builds.

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

Hi ChunkDog, welcome :cheers:

You need to be specific and focus on one build/one issue till hopefully resolved before moving to next build/next issue. Which project of mine did you have an issue with? Any changes made from the way it downloaded? In my builds, you don't need to 'choose WimBoot to finalize and create an iso', it's setup that way by default.

The issue I'm having is the ISO created boots fine in a virtual machine, but doesn't boot on physical machines

How are you booting the ISO, grldr+menu.lst? If so, please post contents of menu.lst and boot.ini for review.

I try the CD on. Now some machines will boot just fine, others will not. I'm baffled.

What happens on machines that don't boot? Do you get a RAM image loading progress? BSOD? Error? Be specific as possible.

Retail SP2 or OEM? Slipstreamed or factory disc? Full or nLited? CD or copied to folder on HDD?

#5 ChunkDog

ChunkDog

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:05 AM

Thanks again for the help :cheers:

I just built another disk. Booted virtualy fine in vmware, booted fine on one test machine, but locked up another. Maybe if I knew how the CD boot process is supposed to be, I can rebuild the ISO with a proper boot sector and loader.

#6 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:08 AM

Try deselecting the 'MultiCPU support' option on the script interface if you haven't already.

Regards,
Galapo.

#7 ChunkDog

ChunkDog

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

Dissabled multi cpu support. Same results :/

Although the machines that are having difficulties are all SATA based. Could this have something to do with it?

#8 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

Hi ChunkDog,

on
\Basic\Build\DefineBootsector --> can you change to 'set bootsect.bin as bootsector (Normal)" and make a trial.

edit: and pack (.zip , .7z ...) & send a log of your build. ( http://www.2shared.com ) :huh:

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

Since some machines even refuse to boot from your CD, which is something, that has nothing to do with PE at all, i would guess that eighter those computers have CD-Drives about to go bad, or your burner is about to go bad.
Try burning the CD in another burner.

Also woth noticing CD-RW are way harder to read, then CD-R. So CD-RW will error and even stop working long before CD-R will.

:huh:

#10 ChunkDog

ChunkDog

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

@Lancelot

I havent tried messing with that scripts settings. I will give it a go and post the results :huh:

@MedEvil

The machine that isnt booting is my main rig. Brand new Plextor PX-880SA. Havent had an issue with it yet. I'm buring to Verbatim CD-R disks using PowerISO to burn. Have even tried to burn and build on another system too, with same results :). Thanks though for your suggestions.

#11 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

@Lancelot

I havent tried messing with that scripts settings. I will give it a go and post the results :)

I see, lets simplfy things for you :huh: by also speeding up, follow me :cheers:

download livexp recommended zip package from here (so we all will be sure what you get at your hand)
http://winbuilder.ne...oad.php?view.35
and extract to a test folder ( lets say C:\test\ )
When you open with winbuilder, disable all Apps and Components scripts (at left, when you click green check on the box of Apps and Components, all will be deselected)
only make one change;
on
LiveXP\Basic\Build\DefineBootsector --> change setting to 'set bootsect.bin as bootsector (Normal)"
LiveXP\Finish\2 Create Image\ select wimboot and provide files (at right bottom there are 2 "Open Dir" buttons, copy files to here)
make your build (it will take less time :rofl:) (& save log), when writing cd whatever application you use please also use "verify" and test on your pc :).

:cheers:

#12 ChunkDog

ChunkDog

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

MY builds and Amalux's builds are booting on all machines I have tested using bootsec.bin as the bootsector. Could it be I should use a different version of GRUB4DOS as the bootsector and see if that produces better results? Would like to make a multiboot disc after getting LiveXP setup to my liking.

#13 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

MY builds and Amalux's builds are booting on all machines I have tested using bootsec.bin as the bootsector.

Very good news :cheers: :cheers:

Could it be I should use a different version of GRUB4DOS as the bootsector and see if that produces better results?

Very good idea :)

There is already alternative on DefineBootsector script (tinybit) .....
and you can easly use "Path to supplied grldr" option for other trials.

Keep us informed which version(s) works on all machines :huh:

#14 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:20 PM

There is already alternative on DefineBootsector script (tinybit) .....
and you can easly use "Path to supplied grldr" option for other trials.

Keep us informed which version(s) works on all machines :huh:

Yes, please try tinybit's version of grub4dos in the script.

Also please try chenall's latest build from here: http://code.google.c...ub4dos-chenall/. You'll need to proint the script to the grldr file, or place it in the path already indicated on the script.

Thanks,
Galapo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users