35 replies to this topic

#1 cragunkurtis25

cragunkurtis25

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

I am new to this site but for a long time I wanted a multiboot usb drive with all the tools I may ever need on the go. I finely came up with what I call Zeus's key i use an 8 gig patriot xt 200x drive works very well. I used multibootiso.exe which I will post links below for everything. It has portable apps with all of liberkeys applications installed so you have your in windows needs covered there are about 300 apps total that run in windows right off the drive. Then i put ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso, Parted Magic 4.9.iso,Damn Small Linux.iso,Ultimate Boot CD.iso, Offline NT Password + Reg Editor.iso, DBAN 1.0.7.iso, xPUD.iso, Hirens boot cd 10.1.3.iso, and last but not least my favorite Backtrack3 final files not iso. everything works except Hirens boot cd only allows you to boot mini xp. backtrack 3 takes some work but is very wort it. I will explain how to do this below :

1.) 8gb thumb drive at least
2.)fast internet connection

the software:
Files 1-10 can be downloaded from:
multiboot and most download links
1.) Multibootiso.exe
2.) ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
3.) Memtest86+ Site (Get ISO from Zip)
4.) Parted Magic 4.9 Site (get ISO from Zip)
5.) Damn Small Linux Site
6.) Ultimate Boot CD Site
7.) Offline NT Password + Reg Editor Site (get ISO from Zip)
8.) DBAN 1.0.7 (Hard Drive Nuker)
9.) xPUD (Simple Netbook Distro)
10.) FreeDOS (put balder10.img on USB)

11.) Hirens boot cd 10.1.3
:whistling: Link removed. (Sorry, no links to warez here. MedEvil)

12.) Backtrack3 final backtrack3final download

13.) Portable apps portable apps download

14.) Liberkey ultimate liberkey ultimate download

15.) backtrack 3 video drivers try the top one first if this does not work search through for your card backtrack 3 nvida drivers downloads

Now that you have everything downloaded format your drive fat32 then run multiboot.exe
this will reformat and install grub with a menu list but we need to change some things we will get to that later.
You now need to copy over all of the iso's to the drives root folder so they are contigious and will boot then extract the boot and bt3 folder from the backtrack 3 final iso I do this using magic iso and mounting the iso. rename the boot folder bootbt3 and copy both folders to the root of the usb drive.
Now install portableapps.exe directly to the usb drive
and install liberkey to you computer I recommend the desktop
when both have finished installing copy the applications from the liberkey/apps folder to the portableapps folder on your usb drive when finished copy the rest of the file from the liberkey install on you computer to the root folder of the usb there should be 9 files and folders you must do this so the liber key apps will launch.
now copy the nvida drivers to the bt3/rootcopy folder on your usb drive
you can now create an extras folder and put movies games emulators etc for fun on the go
now we need to edit the menu.lst it is located in the root of the usb double click and it should open in notepad delete everything and an paste this:

default 0
timeout 30
color NORMAL HIGHLIGHT HELPTEXT HEADING
splashimage=(hd0,0)/splash.xpm.gz
foreground=FFFFFF
background=0066FF

title Hirens boot cd 10
find --set-root /Hiren's.BootCD.10.1.iso
map --mem /Hiren's.BootCD.10.1.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

title Memtest86+
find --set-root /memtest86+-4.00.iso
map --mem /memtest86+-4.00.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

title Parted Magic 4.8 (Partition Tools)
find --set-root /pmagic-4.8.iso
map /pmagic-4.8.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

title Balder DOS image (FreeDOS)
map --unsafe-boot /balder10.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader --force (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)

title Ubuntu 9.10
find --set-root /ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
map /ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper persistent iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso splash
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

title DSL 4.4.10
find --set-root /dsl-4.4.10-initrd.iso
map --mem /dsl-4.4.10-initrd.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

title Ultimate Boot CD 4.11
find --set-root /ubcd411.iso
map /ubcd411.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title BackTrack 3 boot from dos load video driver via mc

title Offline NT Password & Registy Editor
find --set-root /cd080802.iso
map /cd080802.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title DBAN 1.0.7 (Drive Nuker)
find --set-root /dban-1.0.7_i386.iso
map --mem /dban-1.0.7_i386.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

# Suggested by Robin McGough
title xPUD 0.9.2 (NetBook Distro)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /xpud-0.9.2.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /xpud-0.9.2.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

# Suggested by Relst
title Run a Linux OS from the Internet
kernel /gpxe.lkrn

# Not working yet (feel free to try)
# title Boot Slax 6.1.2
# find --set-root /slax-6.1.2.iso
# map /slax-6.1.2.iso (0xff)
# map --hook
# root (0xff)
# chainloader (0xff)

then save make sure it is menu.lst and not menulst.txt
now everything will boot hirens takes some time so be patient and only the mini xp feature works with this configuration.
you can launch portableapps.exe in windows and you will have tons of fun and useful apps

now to boot back track 3
when you boot from the usb drive select the Balder DOS image
then select option 1
now you have a dos shell
enter c: "press enter"
this should access the usb drive now type cd/bootbt3/dos "press enter"
then type: bt3.bat "press enter"
backtrack should begin to load when it gets to the log in user name : root password:toor
now you can try xconf "then press enter" then startx "press enter" if it does not load you need to configure the video drivers restart and go back through the steps and login but this time type mc "press enter: a blue screen should come up find the nivida package usually select ... then root copy and you will see it select it and press enter it should install without issue just select no to the connect to the internet... then agree and yes to everything once install is finished exit the mc and type xconf "then press enter" then startx "press enter" bt3 should now load if it gave you a driver error you may need to search the nvida download page link above and find your exact driver if you have an ati video driver then i cant help you as i do not own one. but for most of you this will work and now you have the ultimate tool again i've dubbed zeus's key. Im sure there are many other options out there but this one worked best for me. sorry for any spelling errors im a math guy spelling is not my thing .

#2 mahdi

mahdi

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

hahaha
where is wonko?
oh sorry this is not written by...

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

hahaha
where is wonko?
oh sorry this is not written by...

Here, right behind you..... :dubbio:

.... just in time to advice you to properly check that brain is properly connected before hitting the keys on the keyboard in front of you..... :whistling:

:blowup:
Wonko

#4 mahdi

mahdi

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Here, right behind you..... :dubbio:

.... just in time to advice you to properly check that brain is properly connected before hitting the keys on the keyboard in front of you..... :whistling:

:blowup:
Wonko

?????????????????
Hiren's boot cd is free tool?
if yes why did you act other way in last times?
If no,why do not say any here?

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hiren's boot cd is free tool?

Free, yes.
Legal, NO.
Compliant with the Rules of the Board, NO.

if yes why did you act other way in last times?
If no,why do not say any here?

Unfortunately the thread in which I explained the current status of my partecipation to the board and where (besides other things) I tried to teach how to find WAREZ was deleted/removed by some of the Admins/Mods of the board (I cannot discuss about the Censorship that is being carried on on this board, as I risk to be banned as per Rule #8 :ph34r:):
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9101

However, the reason is that my contract has expired :dubbio::
http://www.boot-land...?...c=2399&st=6
http://www.boot-land...?...c=10068&hl=

and I was tired of playing the Internet Cop:

Posted Image

My new preferred activity is:

Posted Image

:whistling: Pointing out foolishness. :blowup:

See also the "But ...then, why?" in my signature.

:ph34r:
Wonko

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

I tried to teach how to find WAREZ was deleted/removed by some of the Admins/Mods of the board

You find your topic on the community section.

#7 cragunkurtis25

cragunkurtis25

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

you don't net is hirens to still have a great usb drive if it is wares the its at your own risk i personally love the program but there are many applications that you need to pay for but with so many torrent sites cracked software is easy to come by. not sure about the first 2 comments but would love to hear feed back from anyone who has tried this and any suggestions for improvement.

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

you don't net is hirens to still have a great usb drive if it is wares the its at your own risk i personally love the program but there are many applications that you need to pay for but with so many torrent sites cracked software is easy to come by. not sure about the first 2 comments but would love to hear feed back from anyone who has tried this and any suggestions for improvement.

JFYI, there is a new, interesting approach to Hiren's:
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=10883

The idea basically is to download it, then remove from it anything that you could not have legally.

:cheers:
Wonko

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

The idea basically is to download it, then remove from it anything that you could not have legally.

But isn't already downloading stuff, you have no legal right to have, illegal? :cheers:

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

But isn't already downloading stuff, you have no legal right to have, illegal? :cheers:

Well, not necessarily. :cheers:

I mean, how can you say if it's illegal before downloading it and seeing what is inside it? :cheers:

As an example, download this Pebuilder log (Not containing Warez, rest assured):
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23443

Unless of course, to access the download link you are prompted to check a

Yes, I have read the above warning about the file(s) I will download, I understand that they are not legally redistributable and thus I perfectly know that they are WAREZ and you, since you are offering them for download them, are committing a Copyright infringement or however are not respecting the will of the Author of the Software.

checkbox, under a text like:

WAREZ LICENSE
You are about to download a file which contains software which is not legally redistributable, which I offer since I don't care about Copyright and Intellectual Property Laws and not even care a damn about the Author not wanting me to redistribute this file, Internet is Free !LOL!.
By downloading the file you agree that I am infringing a number of Laws about Copyright and Intellectual Property and you don't care a damn too about the Author's will.

And again, whatever the final users do is their problem, the illegal part for which a site may be held responsible is the distributing, or facilitating the distributing of non legally redistributable software.

To use the same old comparison, it's just like firearms, most countries have Laws that prohibits selling them or even lending them, or even make them accessible to people that miss a number of requisites, it is obligatory to keep them safely out of the reach of unauthorized people and children, etc., etc.: the actual seller or owner of the weapon is responsible for this.

The buyer or however the final user of the gun is also subject to a number of limitations, like, usually and just as an example, that of not carrying the weapon in public without a special license, to register it at the Police, keep it in a safe place, etc., etc.

The same does not happen for, say, hammers.
You can sell hammers freely, you can lend them and you can borrow them, you can leave them on a table in public view, etc., etc.

Now, what may happen to you, if someone shoots to someone else with the gun you sold or lent illegally to him?
Or, more simply, what may happen to you, if someone is caught carrying illegally a weapon you illegally gave him?
And what can happen to you, if someone hits someone else with the hammer you lent him?
Or he is caught actually using it on a nail?

Here we are talking about stolen firearms. :cheers:

Wonko

#11 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

You don't need to convince me, that laws are made by people, who have never ever heared of the word logic.

A couple of years ago, a new law was released in reaction to the fact that someone killed a bunch of people with a knife.
Since he use a knife with a folding blade, all knifes with folding blades have now a limit to how long the blade is allowed. Non folding knifes can still have their blades as long as they want. :huh:
Imagine he had used a kitchen knife!!! :huh:

My favorite part about nonsense like this is, as usual, that nobody even thought for a second to work on the cause instead of the effect.

One more?
In Germany, i have the legal right to make a copy of everything, i legaly own, for Backup purposes, that includes Books, Videos, Music, Software ...
Since a couple of years we have now a law, that forbids to circumvent copy protection.
Thus we have now a law, that prohibits us from making use of a right we have. :)

:)

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

Yep, I know what you mean. :huh:

That's not a knife.

*That's* a knife.

Just kids having fun.

:huh:
Wonko

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

Yes, love that scene. One of my all time favorite movies.

If the two would have got cought by police here in Germany, they would have arrested the guy with the little knife and wished Crocodile Dundee a pleasant evening. :huh:

Is it just me, didn't the world used to make a lot more sense?

#14 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

That only works for Crocodile Dundee.

If it was a Boot Land warrior then the impress factor in that particular situation of the movie would be different:
Posted Image

#15 cragunkurtis25

cragunkurtis25

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

Not to be rude but:With sites like the pirate bay software piracy has become uncontrollable forums don't want direct links posted to cracked software they go after the hosts not the down loader in most cases. In hiens there are tons of programs that require you to purchase them and i doubt any one here has purchased all of them.

This was meant to be a tutorial about a usb key that can do anything from let you watch movies at work to crack wifi or even hack servers the best tool in the whole thing is backtrack 3 but hirens is the only topic that has been discussed if you want it google it there are a million sites that host it.

If a forum allows users to post links to warez or how to commit illeagle acts the sites are held accountable espicially if they are located in the USA you can explain how to do something with proper disclaimers like this is for informational pourpses only.

Has any one tried this usb key I posted here hoping for some input additions modifications etc if no one is interested in using this information the i will close and have this topic deleted the admin said no link to hirens so thie link is gone. i have made a video for YouTube and wanted to make any possible improvements before posting there are lots of other things that are on my drive easybcd to fix corrupt boot loaders, windows activators & wat removers as well as emulators and roms for every system from atari to nintendo wii those are not posted because they are not legal .

so please if you guys want to argue semantics of warez then start a new thread please.

if you are trying this process and have input please post if you know better ways to edit the menu.lst please post other wise the mods are being smart and cover their asses they are based in the USA where the penalties can be harsh.

thank you to anyone who is actually trying this.

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

If the two would have got cought by police here in Germany, they would have arrested the guy with the little knife and wished Crocodile Dundee a pleasant evening. :huh:

Wouldn't that mean that the Police would have arrested the bad guy and left the good guy alone?
It doesn't look like such a bad law in this example.....:)

so please if you guys want to argue semantics of warez then start a new thread please.

Not to be rude as well, but I guess we are allowed to post here, unless an Admin or Mod says we cannot. :)

This was meant to be a tutorial about a usb key that can do anything from let you watch movies at work to crack wifi or even hack servers ....

You seem to be missing the CATCH 22 loop :):
  • in order to crack wifi or hack a server you need a tutorial to build an USB stick with WAREZ
  • if you need a tutorial to build an USB stick with WAREZ you won't be able to to crack wifi or hack a server

In other words, it is likely that these will be the most common situations:
  • everyone that will actually try following your tutorial isn't capable of using the tools contained in the resulting USB stick, and thus their opinion will be that of the "collector" kind:

Look pal, I'm way to cool, I managed to put together this awesome stick that pwns whatever you got, this is really l33t, LOL!

• everyone that knows how to use the tools will not follow your tutorial, as he/she already has developed his/her own toolbox, probably better than yours (no offence intended :cheers:)

Generally speaking, the 1st kind tends to leave no meaningful opinion, whilst the second won't leave any. :rofl:

Anyway, good luck with your "megabuild". :cheers:

Wonko

#17 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

Wouldn't that mean that the Police would have arrested the bad guy and left the good guy alone?
It doesn't look like such a bad law in this example.....:)

:huh: Yep! But you know, that i meant, they arrest the guy with the little knife for possesing such a dangerous forbidden weapon.

Reminds me off an old sketch.
An Airport guard stand right next to a metal detector and everytime it makes peeep, the person just going through has to strip and is thoroughly checked.
Then a Terrorist comes packed full with granades, pistols, 2 big machine guns and a rocket launcher on his back.
The metal detector makes bang and burns out. The guards wish him a pleasant flight. :huh:

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

Reminds me off an old sketch.
An Airport guard stand right next to a metal detector and everytime it makes peeep, the person just going through has to strip and is thoroughly checked.
Then a Terrorist comes packed full with granades, pistols, 2 big machine guns and a rocket launcher on his back.
The metal detector makes bang and burns out. The guards wish him a pleasant flight. :huh:

Sure, if I am not mistaken that's from Airplane! (1980) Abraham and Zucker at their best! :huh:

Wonko

#19 cragunkurtis25

cragunkurtis25

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

It doesn't look like such a bad law in this example.....:cheers:

Yes it focuses on stopping distribution rather than possession like get the drug manufacture and dealers rather than the small time buyers.

Not to be rude as well, but I guess we are allowed to post here, unless an Admin or Mod says we cannot. :cheers:

True i was simply making a request several people seem to be interested in this topic so why not start a new thread I was hoping for advice

You seem to be missing the CATCH 22 loop :cheers::

• in order to crack wifi or hack a server you need a tutorial to build an USB stick with WAREZ
  • if you need a tutorial to build an USB stick with WAREZ you won't be able to to crack wifi or hack a server

try searching youtube for backtrack 3 kind of idiot proofs this. How to build the stick is still posted just no links for the warez but if you cant use google you shouldn't own a computer

In other words, it is likely that these will be the most common situations:

• everyone that will actually try following your tutorial isn't capable of using the tools contained in the resulting USB stick, and thus their opinion will be that of the "collector" kind:
  • everyone that knows how to use the tools will not follow your tutorial, as he/she already has developed his/her own toolbox, probably better than yours (no offence intended :cheers:)
Generally speaking, the 1st kind tends to leave no meaningful opinion, whilst the second won't leave any. :cheers:

well to those who have a better build i would love to hear some of the names of tools or other modifications I do have a usb drive setup with multiple partitions that boots bt3 and bt4 ad well as unbuntu and hirens the geek squad mri in my opinion it was a pain to build and not as functional when working with windows based systems and less compatible as far as computers i tested it on . this seems to be user friendly except the backtrack part which can be a pain but loads of users may choose not to install that their are tons of iso options that will boot
# Memtest86+
# Clonezilla
# Linux Mint 8
# Ubuntu 9.10
# Xubuntu 9.10
# Kubuntu 9.10
# Ubuntu 9.10
# Ubuntu Server
# Parted Magic 4.9
# Partition Wizard 4.2
# Damn Small Linux
# Ultimate Boot CD
# SliTaz Linux Site
# Ophcrack XP Site
# Ophcrack Vista Site
# Offline NT Password + Reg Editor Site
# RIP Linux 9.3 Site
# Ylmf OS Site
# DBAN 1.0.7 (Hard Drive Nuker)
# xPUD (Simple Netbook Distro)
# FreeDOS Site
# BKO boot.kernel.org Site
# AVG Rescue CD Site
# Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Site
are pentest linux suggestions i just removed the tools i wouldn't use and replaced them with tools i would hirens mini xp is useful to recover files from a corrupt windows install among many other thins but it is warez
i eliminate Ophcrack XP and Ophcrack Vista because Offline NT Password + Reg Editor does the same thing without a linux gui the rest of the tools portable apps merged wit liberkey is just handy geek squad mri is absolutely warez so we won't get into that. With everything on one partition you can use virtual box in windows and run and of the iso's .

And to the people who don't know how to build custom multiboot iso drives, if they want to learn then good i hope they post I would love to simplify things but i need to know what they don't understand.

none of this is meant to disrespect anyone most of you who have replied have 1000's of posts i may have just chosen the wrong forum for development.

#20 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

none of this is meant to disrespect anyone most of you who have replied have 1000's of posts i may have just chosen the wrong forum for development.

You're on the right forum, don't worry.

Some members are very verbose and sometimes ramble into off-topic but we are here to talk and improve the way how boot disks are done.

#21 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

cragunkurtis25, one question why sooooooo many Linux distributions, or why Linux at all, when you have a PE? Especialy when legal or not legal isn't even a question for you.

#22 cragunkurtis25

cragunkurtis25

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

linux removes restrictions it is harder to use at first but anything can be done in linux. Microsoft limits so many things and makes them more difficult as to linux sudo or su before the command and it does what you say period.

I do use windows 7 64bit, but when i need to write an mbr a certain way or multipartition a usb drive windows is a pain in the ass so i also have ubuntu and backtrack 4 installed so i can do these things.

also windows security is a joke when your running linux if i need to copy a hard drive or change the admin password a few key strokes and it done. when im fixing computers running an antivirus from a usb is much more effective.

you are obviously a windows guy so all power to you i wouldn't even have it if it didn't come with the computer really it had vista which i just deleted but when microsoft sent me a free copy of windows 7 I did install it and i do use it.

Also usually the computer is running windows why would you want to have a usb to boot another windows?

#23 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

cragunkurtis25, please avoid large blocks of text as they are very difficult to read.

I've modified your previous two topics to keep them readable for everyone.

Thank you.

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

As an example of the "collector's" approach I so much dislike when it comes to these tools, let's start looking at some details:
# Memtest86+
# Clonezilla
# Linux Mint 8
# Ubuntu 9.10
# Xubuntu 9.10
# Kubuntu 9.10
# Ubuntu 9.10
# Ubuntu Server
# Parted Magic 4.9
# Partition Wizard 4.2
# Damn Small Linux
# Ultimate Boot CD
# SliTaz Linux Site
# Ophcrack XP Site
# Ophcrack Vista Site
# Offline NT Password + Reg Editor Site
# RIP Linux 9.3 Site
# Ylmf OS Site
# xPUD (Simple Netbook Distro)
# FreeDOS Site
# BKO boot.kernel.org Site
# AVG Rescue CD Site
# Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Site

These are 99% overlapping:

# Ubuntu 9.10
# Xubuntu 9.10
# Kubuntu 9.10
# Ubuntu 9.10
# Ubuntu Server

# Ultimate Boot CD ALREADY contains (AFAICR):

# Memtest86+
# Parted Magic 4.9
# Offline NT Password

I don't understand the trailing "Site" in a number of items of your list.

The whole "advantage" as I see it of Linux is "freedom", in the sense that you can build your own Linux in a custom manner with everything you need in a much more "free" way that you can do with MS based OS's.

In other words, whilst when working with MS based OS's it may be necessary to have duplicate OS (like, say, an XP based PE and a Windows 7 based one), with Linux this is not necessary.

This has proved to be actually a disadvantage in practice, as there are as many Linux distro's as trees in a forest, most of them "overlapping" with exactly the same functionalities and programs.

As I see it, tools are just a part - all in all not that much relevant - of a creative, or if you prefer "artisan-like" kind of job like computer repair/recovery/maintenance is, there is no or very little point in having the SAME tools inside N distro's and having N tools you don't know how to use.

If you want my advice, try applying, on several iterations, Occam's Razor to your collection:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor
you will be surprised on how much you can remove from it while keeping the same functionalities, actually having a better overall usability of it.

Wonko

#25 cragunkurtis25

cragunkurtis25

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

Wonko i would quote you but the page would be huge so lets start here.

unbuntu is one kind of linux using its on core it is the most user friendly and probably the most popular there are many flavors of unbuntu listed i recommend trying them all and pick your favorite

Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:

* Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
* Boot from a USB pen drive
* Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
* Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
* Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
* Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
* Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
* Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

Xpud It's fast, on average booting within 10 seconds (demo on YouTube), and it's small, too. Core image is weighing in at under 35MB, yet it still remains binary compatible with most major Linux distributions like Ubuntu or Fedora. So xPUD can not only be a great platform to deliver Web Apps, but it's also suitable for use on Netbooks or All-in-one PCs.

And well back track 3 originating from white hat and slax has the tools for testeing any security

As I said hirens in it's current state only loads a mini xp no hirens tools work you can mount iso's once in mini xp but the hirens tools are useless

and as far as memtest and partition tools if ubcd does not boot on the pc you have a back up these are very small images

now above is what i recommend

the site i listed the iso' from is http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-multiboot-usb/
cant imaging why so many linux distros but they are all very different made by different people and run differently as far as the
# Ubuntu 9.10
# Xubuntu 9.10
# Kubuntu 9.10
# Ubuntu 9.10
# Ubuntu Server
yes they are mostly the same its a matter of picking your favorite version

Yes i do know how to use the tools and yes i am a systems monitor for the company i work for, I also run a small computer repair business out of my home. Rather than having a stack of disks to fix each pc linux or window based i would like to have one or two thumb drives that do the job.

Wonko you may benefit from this: 101 reasons linux is better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users