ImDisk is a virtual disk driver for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008. It can create virtual hard disk, floppy or CD/DVD drives using image files or system memory. The install package installs a console-mode control program called imdisk.exe and a Control Panel applet. After install is finished, type imdisk without parameters for syntax help or double click the ImDisk icon in the Control Panel. It also adds a menu item in Windows Explorer so that you can right-click on a file to mount it as a virtual disk drive.Â The driver, service and control program can be uninstalled using the Add/Remove programs applet in the Control Panel. No reboot is required for installing or uninstalling.
Download Imdisk : Â Â Â Author Site : Â Â Â Imdisk Forum
* It is possible to mount files as virtual harddisk partitions, virtual floppy drives or virtual CD/DVD-ROM drives. All in one driver.
It can also create iso images of CD/DVD Drives and images of Hard Disks and Floppy Drives.
* It is possible to use virtual memory instead of physical files for the virtual disk storage.
* The driver can use virtual memory as storage as mentioned above and pre-load it with the contents of a disk image file. The disk image file is then closed and not modified, all changes are written to the virtual memory section only.
* There is an associated user-mode service that can be used to redirect I/O requests to other computers on the network. The computer that actually serves the I/O requests must run the ‘devio’ tool, included in the source package. This tool has been compiled and tested both under FreeBSD and Windows. This makes it possible to boot a system with a FreeBSD Live-CD and run the devio tool on one of the harddisk partitions. That partition can then be mounted from another machine on the network that has ImDisk installed.
* It is possible to change the settings for the ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver so that it starts as part of the Windows boot process and for example automatically creates one or more virtual disks and pre-loads them with the contents of disk image files.
Special note for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7
On Vista and Server 2008 you need to either turn off UAC, User Access Control, or setup the driver to auto-load on system startup. Setting the driver to auto-start is recommended.
Set the ImDisk driver to auto-load at Command Prompt:
sc config imdisk start= auto
Set the ImDisk driver to auto-load using GUI: Open Device Manager, View -> Show hidden devices. Under “Non-plug-and-play devices” right-click ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver and select properties. On the “Driver” tab, change start type to Automatic.
View the full article
Imdisk Virtual Disk Driver
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users