Windows 7 USB Boot and Product Activation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 worlddan

worlddan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:24 AM

I have a retail (not OEM) version of Windows 7 successfully installed on my USB drive per the excellent directions on this site. My problem is one of Windows 7 activation. The drive I cloned was a drive installed on a AMD mobo. But the computer I use the USB on most often is my Dell laptop with an Intel mobo. Whenever I switch from one to the other I get the nasty MS warning that my computer configuration has changed and I need to reactivate Windows in three days.

It's not a practical strategy to reactivate Windows 7 every week. But if I don't I'm essentially limited to using the USB on just one computer, which defeats the whole point of having a USB boot as far as I am concerned.

Does anyone know of a work around to this issue?

TIA.

#2 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:00 AM

i have a dirty advice, but i know it is against the rules to discuss it :)

just a hint

PATCHING bios...

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

Install Win7 without a licence. Thsi gives you 90 days without the need to activate and is perfectly legal.

:thumbup:

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

Under XP it was possible to save the activation and use it on a reinstall. If this can still be done in Win7, then you could activate your Windows once on each computer and save the activation. Then swap it acordingly.
Just an idea.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15464 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

How does this approach behave? :thumbup:

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9830

:)
Wonko

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

There's not a single word about activation in the first post. Was that discussed later?

#7 worlddan

worlddan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

Medevil.

That doesn't work because it's already been activated on the drive which I cloned it from. So when I switch it from AMD to Intel it's not treating it as a new install but as a reinstall and only gives me three days. The only way your plan might work is if the drive I had initially cloned had not been activated.

As for saving the activation, I never knew that about XP. I'll look into that for windows seven.

Wonko: I don't know. I didn't use that approach to get my bootable USB drive.

#8 worlddan

worlddan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

According to this post on Micorsoft you cannot back up windows 7 activation the way you did with XP.

http://social.answer...2e-016639671e6a

Thanks for the suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users