5 replies to this topic

#1 Tense

Tense

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Background: Okay, here is the the first part in a set of posts.. to suggest ideas for better organizing the forums. the forums has lost several of it's scripters and to encourage more "newbies" to stepup and involve themselves is hard enough. But, with the chaos that is in this forums.. it makes it nearly impossible for someone new to get involved. So, I am going to add some "ideas" that should be looked at to better organize and improve.

Part 1:

Better tutorial guidelines:

This should be the first place a "noob" goes to when arriving here. So, there should be some structure in the tutorials. Consistency helps the new person better grasp ideas and concepts. So, lets begin. :ranting2:

Here is a basic guideline that should be followed when building a tutorial. I will attach it as a Word DOC as well.. to make it easier to use.

Title of Tutorial

Overview
Insert the overview and goals you are attempting to achieve with your tutorial.

Requirements
Description of requirements
Software:
Hardware:
Tool:

Additional Links and Discussion:
Start Topic: Place link to the original topic for this tutorial, so others may raise points and comments
Software Links:
Hardware Links:
Tool Links:

Step 1:
Make sure you are at least attempting to insert screenshots into the steps.

Step 2:
Also, it helps to have a short description of each step explaining it before each step occurs.

Step 3:
After each step you could, optionally, lay out what was accomplished for this step. Kind of like a checklist

Conclussion:
Here you would break down what the entire process and lay out what COULD be the next tutorial/step after this tutorial.. helps the user move along from tutorial to tutorial.. until they are as smart as you!

Credits
Place your credits and thanks here. Support your community!!!

It would be easier to just download the attached docx file.. But.. you could copy and paste this into the starter topic to make that easier. :ranting2:

If you have any questions or suggestions... please let me know. Hope you like it.

EDIT*** I have, as requested.. changed it to a .doc and 7z compressed it. Benefit is that it can be attached now. Thanks for the advice.

Tense

Attached Files

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

.docx is EVIL! :ranting2:

Learn to §@ç#ing COMPRESS attachments to .zip or .7z files and use a "human" format, like .rtf or "plain" .doc which is accessible by all people that do not own a newish Microsoft Office.

:ranting2:

Wonko

#3 Tense

Tense

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

Are all you advanced users this rude? I guess you have never heard of openoffice. There are also like 12,000 online converters if you don't want to install OpenOffice.

I will be happy to replace it with a doc. Your wish is my command.

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

Are all you advanced users this rude?

Don't worry, knowing wonko I understand how his comment may be shocking at first, but I'd risk saying that it was not rude. He can get meaner and you'll eventually get immunized but I won't say anything else or he'll go after me next.. :cheers:

Better tutorial guidelines

I think this is actually a good idea. Perhaps it can even be pinned inside the tutorials like a "read me first!" topic.

;)

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:58 AM

He can get meaner and you'll eventually get immunized but I won't say anything else or he'll go after me next.. ;)

Strategy of terror is beginning to pay back.....:cheers:

@Tense
I am sorry :P if I seemed to be rude towards you, it was not intended :lol:. I meant to be rude against .docx:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=3378

And yes, the idea of a "structure" for tutorials is very good. :cheers:

:cheers:

Wonko

#6 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

@tense