8 replies to this topic

#1 clivebuckwheat

clivebuckwheat

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:27 AM

For faster load times over a network (pxe) boot. My image is 147 megs I'd like it to be 100 tops if possible.

#2 Xiaopang

Xiaopang

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

How did you compress it currently? Is it a standard PE 3.0 without extras? I'd try to recompress it on my end, but I'd need some specific info on the image itself

#3 clivebuckwheat

clivebuckwheat

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

i winpe 3.0 with no extras with ghost32.exe copy to the windows folder. It's 147 megs i'd like to get it down to 110-100 if possible. I just used the windows AIK to build and make the iso nothing special.

#4 Xiaopang

Xiaopang

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

Alright, if any 3rd party compression is allowed then I can give you some leads after I ran a few compression tests. Shouldn't be much of a problem getting it below 100MB

Edit: I compressed the extracted default wim to 81.6MB with Freearc's ultra compression. However, I don't think you want to go through an extra extraction and wim-rebuilding process on every computer. So, I suggest using profiling to slim the wim file down and then using max compression with imagex on it. That should do the trick.

http://technet.micro...554(WS.10).aspx

#5 clivebuckwheat

clivebuckwheat

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

I would like to get the image as small as possible as I am going to be using this Winpe to boot from a pxe server.

How would I use the link you gave me and then the 3rd party software you suggested? , my goal is to make the smallest bootable iso possible. In the end this image will be booting over the network.

#6 Xiaopang

Xiaopang

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

I would like to get the image as small as possible as I am going to be using this Winpe to boot from a pxe server.

How would I use the link you gave me and then the 3rd party software you suggested? , my goal is to make the smallest bootable iso possible. In the end this image will be booting over the network.

Well you would use it by reading it and following what is described... The walkthrough given by Microsoft is pretty easy to understand and was also the source that I used when I personalized my PE. I hope you don't expect me to regurgitate what is written there.

As for using Freearc's compression, I don't know anything about network booting. If you can execute an external tool before the wim is handled, then you can compress it with any external archiver such as Freearc and then decompress it before it is accessed. If you can't do that, then just slim down the wim using dism's profiling function and just compress the wim with imagex's max compression.

#7 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2287 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

Edit: I compressed the extracted default wim to 81.6MB with Freearc's ultra compression. However, I don't think you want to go through an extra extraction and wim-rebuilding process on every computer. So, I suggest using profiling to slim the wim file down and then using max compression with imagex on it. That should do the trick.

http://technet.micro...554(WS.10).aspx

Thanks Xiaopang for this info and useful link. :thumbup:

Your advice to slim the wim file down by using profiling
was applied to Windows PE 3.0 + GUI Boot Image made with Make_PE3.exe

I could reduce the size of the pe3.iso from 170 MB down to 123 MB

http://www.911cd.net...o...21883&st=35

This is certainly a nice reduction,
but may be you can give me a hint for files which can be removed to reduce it even more,
without loosing functionality of Windows PE 3.0 + GUI (including Ghost)

Great improvement already.

#8 Xiaopang

Xiaopang

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

I'm currently writing my tutorial on how to slim down PE and am halfway done. It might get you on the right track. As for gui-functionality, I can't help you there. The only gui-app I ever used in MicroPE was the taskmanager and I can't remember which dependencies that I removed broke it. I can imagine that ghost depends on a few more files and I've never worked with it, so that's that.

As a general advice you could use max compression on the wim and try to get rid of fonts and drivers you don't need. The profiling is certainly a great tool, but it's also not as radical as it could be. Check the winsxs-folder for unneeded files. Slimming down the registry can also save a couple of MB, but I'll explain all that in detail in my tutorial :thumbup:

#9 Odyseus

Odyseus
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Hello, folks.

Perhaps this procedure help you.

Create an Optimized Windows PE Image

At the end of the article specifies:

4- Optimize the image by exporting to a new image file. When you modify an image, ImageX and DISM stores additional resource files that increase the overall size of the image. Exporting the image using ImageX will remove unnecessary resource files.

imagex /export C:\winpe_x86\iso\sources\boot.wim 1 C:\winpe_x86\iso\sources\boot2.wim

5- Delete the original boot.wim and rename boot2.wim to boot.wim.

In my personal build with a boot.win originally of 178 MB, was reduced to 65 MB. The difference between these two boot.win files, is a folder called Files which contains about 5000 files.

Greetings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users