#1 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

Since we are talking about log.html, may I point out that a button that says:

Save as log.html
should actually "Save as log.html" (as opposed to "Save as log.html and automagically open saved file log.html in default browser")? ;)
(or rename the button, though it will be tricky to fit all the necessary descriptive text in the rectangle :rolleyes:)

Also in ANY other application in the world, the same button would be called "Save" or "Save log" and if an existing file with that name exist in the target destination would preompt before overwriting it and/or allow "Saving as".

:lol:

Wonko

Service POST (Lancelot):
Initial post #1 moved to another topic.
Initial post #1 (initial topic) have nothing to do with bug tracker (and moved here by Nuno), later current topic turned to a place where some requests/wishes made for log thingies.
As a result I added wish for wonko to post 1 and created original thread at project forge here

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

Ok, added to wishlist.

Maybe we get to talk about this soon.

#3 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:49 AM

That's pretty cool :lol: , thanks. Can we get a highlighted 'failed'?
Attached File  failed.png   7.47KB   5 downloads

:rolleyes:

#4 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

That's pretty cool ;) , thanks. Can we get a highlighted 'failed'?

why not, new version on post 1 :lol:

more info:
you can also make changes on batch easly to fit your own color preference,

for 'failed' highlight, I added #800080

more color info can be obtained here
http://html-color-codes.info/

and:
if you play on these stuff and make your own color setting batch (your own template), I would be glad to add post#1 :rolleyes:

@Nuno
well, as i wrote on post 1 initially, i already added a request on bug tracker after my request ignored on topic.

This is a small batch tool until the day wb decides to add this feature. I am pretty sure this topic will be lost in "Wishlist and Requests"
Well since you are the master, I do not change anything, maybe i miss something.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Since we are talking about log.html, may I point out that a button that says:
Save as log.html
should actually "Save as log.html" (as opposed to "Save as log.html and automagically open saved file log.html in default browser")? :rolleyes:
(or rename the button, though it will be tricky to fit all the necessary descriptive text in the rectangle :rolleyes:)

Also in ANY other application in the world, the same button would be called "Save" or "Save log" and if an existing file with that name exist in the target destination would preompt before overwriting it and/or allow "Saving as".

Wonko

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hi jaclaz,

good idea, wrong topic (totally wrong place).

If you read post #1 I provide a batch tool as a temporary workaround to an ignored request.

just like blexactdownload

do I have to provide a utility (written in au3) and compile to .exe to be understood that it is a tool ?

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hi jaclaz,

good idea, wrong topic (totally wrong place).

Possibly. :rolleyes:
But if you post a tool in the (wrong, duplicated) bugtracker, which comes out in the "new posts" to allow for more member participation, what do you expect? :rolleyes:
JFYI:
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=10507

I simply tried to partecipate.... :rolleyes:

If you read post #1 I provide a batch tool as a temporary workaround to an ignored request.

Rest assured that I never fail to read a thread, I may happen to fail understanding it :lol:, but only after I have read it (and usually it stays read ;)).

do I have to provide a utility (written in au3) and compile to .exe to be understood that it is a tool ?

No you need to write it in C++ pr VisualStudio .NET, OR §@ç#ing post it SOMEWHERE ELSE, and not in the bugtracker :rolleyes: , and if you also put in the title:

[RELEASE] Batch TOOL to have Winbuilder .log without pictures

even people who DO NOT read posts might be able to understand that it is a tool.

;)

;)

Wonko

#8 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Possibly. :lol:
But if you post a tool in the (wrong, duplicated) bugtracker, which comes out in the "new posts" to allow for more member participation, what do you expect? :rolleyes:

Again wrong target. If you've read this short topic, you would already understand topic moved to "Wishlist and Requests" by Nuno

title idea is good, changing now :rolleyes:

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

Again wrong target. If you've read this short topic, you would already understand topic moved to "Wishlist and Requests" by Nuno

I don't care about the target, I mean, I have this nice machine gun and lots of paintballs, I don't need to actually aim at anybody I just shoot and refill the reservoir.... :rolleyes:

If you've read this short topic, you would already understand topic moved to "Wishlist and Requests" by Nuno

Language barrier :lol:, in my English, being this thread in:
Wishlist and Requests >
and being:
Wishlist and Requests >
inside:
Boot Land > Groups > WinBuilder > Bug Tracker > Wishlist and Requests >
it is inside the wrong, duplicated bug tracker and it comes out in "new posts".

:rolleyes:

Wonko

#10 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

I have an ignored request for creation of log files. Bug id 256

Your request is not ignored, you simply posted at a place where nobody looks at.

We use this bug tracker:
http://www.boot-land...hp?showforum=96

The older bugtracker was an extension of the forum and posts that were made there were not visible on the main page.

The link to the old bugtracker extension was removed from frontpage and it will be kept operational simply for historical reasons.

Hope this helps to clarify.

One of the exciting changes of the last days, similar like "Uploads w/o notice" :rolleyes:

Peter

#11 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

Your request is not ignored, you simply posted at a place where nobody looks at.

LIE, read your posts, you looked, you replied, you get rereplied, you ignored. (Posted there thinking it would be a nice idea for revised 1 , but as usual ignored...)

Maybe time to lock (close) and unhide The Development topic since it is not used anymore but would be a good reference for future google searchers ? (or should i do the changes without asking.... no it is not me :lol:)

#12 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

TimeTable:

FEB-23 8:20 PM Nuno explains the URL of the the official BugTracker, what implies the "Old one is not more to be used". He speaks about Save for History"

FEB-23 10:02 You write a post into the "Invalid BugTracker"

FEB-23 10:04 Two minutes later you write in this topic, that the bug report is ignored ?????????

What about LIE?

Peter

#13 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

What about LIE?

REAL TIME TABLE:

Feb 22 2010, 09:50 PM I made the request
Feb 22 2010, 10:15 PM you replied
Feb 22 2010, 10:19 PM i rereplied ==> than ignored (no answer, yes no etc...)

Time passed
I added my ignored request to Bug tracker request section and
I made a batch tool

Feb 23 2010, 11:04 PM I create current topic at either Project Forge or Development but I DID NOT create topic at "Wishlist and Requests"
Yesterday, 06:40 AM Nuno moved topic to "Wishlist and Requests"
Yesterday, 04:39 PM I commented to Nuno's decision, but did not change topic location since I do not know his reasons.

Current topic is NOT a request for a bug.

Besides can someone clear where the bugs/requests I should write now ???????

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

Sorry, one more of the unsafe operations / knowledge of the last days.

Peter :lol:

#15 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:04 AM

This related suggestion was posted even earlier on the bugtracker: http://www.boot-land...amp;showbug=237.

Regards,
Galapo.

#16 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:14 AM

Well.. what really matters is that we are talking about this.

I liked the suggestion for adding the option of not using images from Lancelot and the added comment of Amalux for highlighting the results.

Lancelot:
If in the future you find it difficult to find more support to other wishlist requests, you can also add them on the Vote section: http://www.boot-land...hp?showforum=37 and try to gather signatures from other developers.

The more people vote or express their desire to see some change occur, the more changes we have to talk about the benefits/tradeoffs involved.

Sometimes there is also so much attention needed to other areas of development and Peter has been supporting single handled all the coding effort so it's only normal that some requests get on the side until they are proven as relevant and important for other users as well.

As a side note, would you mind uploading a modified version of log.html to your server space so that everyone can view the log directly without need of unpacking?

----------------------

Jaclaz:
If the save and open log.html also seems ilogic, a new topic could be open to discuss this matter.

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

Jaclaz:
If the save and open log.html also seems ilogic, a new topic could be open to discuss this matter.

There is nothig that "seems" illogic, there is this feature that is illogic.
And there is nothing to "discuss", it's a very minor thing of no actual relevance, a small, marginal "design bug" with no consequences on the actual working of Winbuilder, only a nuisance after you have saved a log that you should have it pop up open in the browser.
Up to developers to - without any need to discuss it - decide whether keep things as they are or change them to a more "usual" behaviour.

What would be actually a good theme for a discussion is the bug-tracker, mind you it is NOT at all my business, but the new approach would end in a set of unnumbered, unordered, unfindable set of posts, with bugs mixed up with PBCAK's and what not, that no developer will ever be able to get head or tail of.

(and I did not even had to use my crystall ball to see the above) :lol:

;)

Wonko

#18 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

And there is nothing to "discuss", it's a very minor thing of no actual relevance, a small, marginal "design bug" with no consequences on the actual working of Winbuilder, only a nuisance after you have saved a log that you should have it pop up open in the browser.
Up to developers to - without any need to discuss it - decide whether keep things as they are or change them to a more "usual" behaviour.

The majority of users don't know where to find log.html after being saved.

Initially there was a message saying something like "Log was created" but then what?

We could also add a message saying "Log was created at c:\bla" but then we also propose that wb works on very long dirs so would this be useful?

We could also open an explorer window at the folder but sometimes there are so many files inside the root folder that its still complicated.

Well.. why not open the browser window with the log inside if it addresses all these issues?

-------

decide whether keep things as they are or change them to a more "usual" behaviour.

I'm sorry, but I think that there are no such things as usual behaviors if they are not efficient to the end user and the reason why so many programs aren't used in the first place.

#19 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

Ok, let's say that it's a nice feature ;) that once you have save a log.html (which you DO NOT want to see) it is displayed forcibly before you and that, if Winbuilder is run again, the previous log is silently overwritten, so that unless you know what you are doing, you don't have anything to compare with, very user friendly, expecially for a new user trying NOT to come here whining but trying to understand things.

Since, again, it's a very minor thing, and not at all my business, there is no point in discussing on this particular item "friendly behaviour" vs. "let me automagically do whatever I think it is more fit for you" approach.

A book that I do recommend you:
http://en.wikipedia....i/Donald_Norman
http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0385267746

The Italian translation was titled "La caffettiera del masochista", I know you can appreciate it. ;)

Wonko

#20 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

Small tutorial ;)

it is displayed forcibly

Click the "Tools" button, choose the "Options" tab and uncheck "View in browser after saving"

the previous log is silently overwritten

Click the "Tools" button, choose the "Options" tab and check "Log name with timestamp"

And then the new user complains so many senceless and old *.html in his base directory :lol:

Peter

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:06 PM

And then the new user complains so many senceless and old *.html in his base directory ;)

Sure :lol:, users are lamers and love whining.

The issue is a non-issue, thank you for the nice tutorial, but though I often like to play newbie, not being by nature a whiner I do usually make my homework, and knew about the Options available, the point was only whether the "default settings" are to be defined "friendly" or "forcibly imposed", and if the "Save" button - with default settings - produced the result that the "Save" button produces in all the other apps.

Ergnomics is a complex matter, and a newbie - as well as an experienced user of "standard apps" would find this sudden opening of his browser an unexpected consequence of his action (pressing on the "Save" button).

;)

Wonko

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Peter

#23 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

What's so unexpected about the log opening after save? The only reason, i let WB create the log file, is to read it. If you've found some other use, please share! :lol:
Also that the file is overwritten by default, can't be improved.
Eighter people have no clue about the settings and use the log just to upload it, after having problems and being told to do so. (Having more than 1 log would make things not easier, but more complicated.)
Or they are experienced users, which need or want to compare different logs. Well in that case they should be experienced enough to find the options and use them.

;)

#24 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

I think it would be better to optionally include the project name in the log file name. So:

Multi 7PEs.log.html

or

<Time stamp> Multi 7PEs.log.html

#25 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

Also seems reasonable to me that if a project run fails then the log automatically opens. In most other circumstances you won't look at the log. Or if you do manually opening it is not hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users