3 replies to this topic

#1 Bob K.

Bob K.
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

My PC with XP died. Bought a new Window7 64bit system. Win7 does NOT allow me to install several (expensive) apps and Hardware drivers! (which worked fine on XP). XP HD had both MBR and Recovery partition boots clobbered due to old PC crash.

I corrected the XP MBR. HP sent me XP Recovery Discs that won't run on this model PC!? (originals lost, & can't use old PC)

I swapped drives and XP will boot until it finds new hardware (quite a few!). Stops and asks "Click NEXT to install". BUT - USB Keyboard & Mouse are not recognized by XP as it *was* configured on old PC w/ PS/2 keyboard & mouse.

I can use the Win7 system to place batch jobs, drivers, etc. on XP HD. How can I force XP to continue? I have 4NT in XP's StartUp, which opened, I could put batch cmds in it's startup. But what? What are USB keyboard/mouse drivers? How to make them install?

Can I place the XP USB drivers from Win7? Then what?

Can I fix the HP recovery partition BOOT so It can repair itself? (During boot up, XP *does* accept USB keyboard to select recover -- but of course the Recovery BOOT is gone)

I've tried many suggestions over the last 4 weeks and am getting desperate.. I need those XP-ONLY Apps and Hardware.

Thanks
Bob K.

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:18 AM

Hi Bob K. :smiling9:

Don't know if this helps much, I have set up dual boot XP/7 machines without issue; the only problem I run into is XP on newer machines doesn't recognize the new SATA drives. There should be an option in BIOS to disable SATA, press F2 (at startup) for Setup screen (BIOS) -> Advance Settings -> Change Harddisk Mode -> AHCI to Compatable or SATA to IDE etc. -> Save and Exit. The other option would be to load SATA drivers for XP during setup (F6) but you need a floppy drive and the correct drivers on FD ready to go.

:cheers:

#3 TheK

TheK

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

I can use the Win7 system to place batch jobs, drivers, etc. on XP HD. How can I force XP to continue? I have 4NT in XP's StartUp, which opened, I could put batch cmds in it's startup. But what? What are USB keyboard/mouse drivers? How to make them install?

You can try to auto start DriverForge. Set the driver signing policy to ignore and set automatic install. For the driver path you can try an empty folder. If that doesn't work you can try the windows\inf folder.

Maybe it's a good idea to back up the XP system partition before you try it!

#4 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

Why don't you follow through with the advice already given: http://www.911cd.net...o...st&p=161440
http://www.911cd.net...o...st&p=161453
http://www.911cd.net...o...st&p=161521

Regards,
Galapo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users