#1 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

Posted Image

+multilanguage support (so far Turkish, Swedish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Hungarian, Romanian ) (==> nice list :cheers: )

Another nice free utility from my friend BlueLife (and thanks to velociraptor and all others at sordum.com)

Homepage provides all required information with nice tutorial, :cheers:
(+HomePage can also be used to ask questions related to software)
http://www.sordum.com/?p=2752

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

Lancelot can you tell me what this program is to be used for?

:cheers:

#3 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

Lancelot can you tell me what this program is to be used for?

DNS Jumper :cheers: Used to change your DNS setting. Dns Wikipedia .

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

Looks nice but doesn't recognize my adapter (all other programs do) :cheers:
dnserr.jpg

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:16 AM

DNS Jumper :cheers: Used to change your DNS setting. Dns Wikipedia .

:cheers: I know what a dns is, i also understand that the program is meant to change the DNS settings on ones machine.
What i don't understand is, what this program is good for. Where lies its application?

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

@amalux

Looks nice but doesn't recognize my adapter (all other programs do) :rofl:

Thanks for feedback amalux, I will inform Blue Life :cheers:

@MedEvil

What i don't understand is, what this program is good for. Where lies its application?

sorry my mistake, I forgot to inform at post #1

now fixed to

(+HomePage can also be used to ask questions related to software)

Ask your questions on its homepage or use a seach engine etc etc.

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:36 AM

Ask your questions on its homepage or use a seach engine etc etc.

Interesting idea, to promote a program, which application you don't understand yourself! :cheers:

#8 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:44 AM

Interesting idea, to promote a program, which application you don't understand yourself! :cheers:

Interesting idea asking what the application does even when not trying to understand what it does. I guess developers and people who newly use these applications also do not understand themselves since they do not write an introduction what it does or ask questions about what it does. (or maybe it is too simple, blaaaaaa , no it can not be, there should be a secret behind)

The only "none-interesting" thing is your expected replies. Please ask your question to application's homepage, maybe velociraptor (who supports the page) can put an introduction for the ones who do not understand from the name of the application or who do not have internet search abilities.

Have fun with velociraptor at sordum.com , not here.

#9 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:57 AM

OK - Lets all remember to play nice...

Based on just looking at the GUI screen shot, it appears that it can find a better/faster DNS server for you. Here in the US, it is not uncommon for the ISP (Cable company) to have slower, overloaded DNS servers. OpenDNS servers can make a difference when surfing the web, where one page my need to find 10-20 different hosts to do all the advertising...

So, having a tool that helps find a faster, open DNS might be useful... Only problem I see is that "geeks" :cheers: already know how to do this sort of thing, and a non-geek may not even find or want to use a program like this...

Oh well...

#10 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:09 AM

This type of tool is good if you want to protect your family computers without too much hassle.

Just configure your network to use something like openDNS and you ensure that a significant portion of "unclean" pages are filtered along the way.

If you put some extra $$ then you get a higher security level. This is handy for companies where administrators need to manually blacklist pages that employees aren't supposed to visit during work hours.

http://www.opendns.com/start/

The best feature (as far as I'm concerned), is the possibility to automatically blacklist thousands of possible domains that infected machines tend to visit, minimizing some of the impact made from bot nets in companies.

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

OT, but not much.

The usual problem when you have to reset/fiddle with network settings on a machine is remembering the DNS numbers (hoping you can actually remember the local IP, subnet mask and gateway :cheers:).
Since you are offline, you cannot google for some free DNS servers.
In this case Google DNS servers are handy, because they have addresses that are easy to remember:
and they are pingable! ;)
more:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=140160

Wonko

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

If i couldn't remember the network settings i would simply turn dhcp on. :cheers:

@Nuno
Why in gods name would you pay money for a simple black list?

;)

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

If i couldn't remember the network settings i would simply turn dhcp on. :cheers:

Sure, IF you have a DHCP Server AND you switch it ON AND THEN you will get a semi-random IP address, which is not the way it should be on a lan where DHCP is not used, and you wouldn't necessarily get a DNS address from the DHCP server.

Wonko

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

Sure, IF you have a DHCP Server AND you switch it ON AND THEN you will get a semi-random IP address, which is not the way it should be on a lan where DHCP is not used, and you wouldn't necessarily get a DNS address from the DHCP server.

What kind of LAN do you have? :cheers:
When i turn on dhcp on a client machine on a network, i get all necessary data from the network dhcp server.
If i'm on the server itself and i don't know the right values, i would start looking for a new job! :cheers:

btw. Never heared from anyone hardcoding each machine in a network, with a public DNS server address.
Usually if dhcp is not used in the newtwork, all machines are setup to use a local DNS server.

;)

#15 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

What kind of LAN do you have? :cheers:

According to your "standards" an unusual one.
According to mine, a better LAN than what you are used to.

;)

Wonko

#16 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

Usually if dhcp is not used in the newtwork, all machines are setup to use a local DNS server.

And where do you think that the local DNS server gets it's informations from? :cheers:

They'll fetch the ISP DNS upstream and the ISP server will do the same to reach sites across the globe.

Why in gods name would you pay money for a simple black list?

It's a lot of work to do it by yourself. Once in my workplace I allocated one technician to control the visited sites inside our LAN and blacklist the ones that weren't allowed (p**n, games, torrent sites, etc). After two weeks we noted that one person was not enough as plenty of other sites were still flying below the radar.

If one site gets blocked, people will just google for another one. With a good DNS provider you join a network where not everything but a good part of the "bad" stuff is filtered out without costing the time of a technician with a significant salary.

So, it would be nice to get this level of filtering for free but the cost still justifies the long term savings. (at least from my perspective)

;)

#17 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

And where do you think that the local DNS server gets it's informations from? :cheers:

As said above, if the guy who works on the DNS server does not know the proper settings, he should get a new job.

It's a lot of work to do it by yourself. Once in my workplace I allocated one technician to control the visited sites inside our LAN and blacklist the ones that weren't allowed (p**n, games, torrent sites, etc). After two weeks we noted that one person was not enough as plenty of other sites were still flying below the radar.

If one site gets blocked, people will just google for another one. With a good DNS provider you join a network where not everything but a good part of the "bad" stuff is filtered out without costing the time of a technician with a significant salary.

So, it would be nice to get this level of filtering for free but the cost still justifies the long term savings. (at least from my perspective)

You know, that this idea is completely useless to prevent people from accessing information they wanna access?
A simple proxy and your valuable security goes out the window.
I tought once a course in a seminar building, which had heavily filtered internet access. DNS blacklists, blacklisted words in url, blacklisted file types for downloads, protocols that weren't allowed, ports that were inaccessable, ...
It didn't even stop people for the whole first day!

The only successful way to stop people going places they shouldn't, is fear. Log everyones internet access and punish everyone severely, who gets cought.
As it is done in any dictatorship.

;)

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

The only successful way to stop people going places they shouldn't, is fear. Log everyones internet access and punish everyone severely, who gets cought.
As it is done in any dictatorship.

...and attempted everywhere :cheers::
http://news.cnet.com...0448060-38.html

Wonko

#19 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

...and attempted everywhere ;):

As said: "As it is done in any dictatorship." ;)

There is a reason, why in nature the fearsome are never in command.

#20 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

Let me see the topic as engineer:

There is a presentation of an application / a WEB link to an application.
What is offerred there, I personally do not need.

If somebody can use it, he is happy.
If somebody does not want to use it (like me), he is also happy, because he can forget it.

Why to waste any time to discuss
"Why perhaps others can use it"
"What is the advantage / disadvantage" of the offerred stuff?"

Peter

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Why should I waste my time to discuss
"Why perhaps others can use it"
"What is the advantage / disadvantage" of the offerred stuff?"

Well, as an engineer, the time you spent saying that other people should not discuss it, has the same value of that it would take you to actually discuss it.

Summing up:
  • Medevil had not much to do today.
  • He started with his usual positive attitude towards other people's work.
  • As always he implied that he knows more than all the others (combined).
  • He is presumably now happier than before.

If the last point is true, the discussion has had some positive effects, otherwise there is an appropraite adjective to describe it which is otiose:
http://dictionary.re...m/browse/otiose

;)

Wonko

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

Summing up:

• Medevil had not much to do today.
  • He started with his usual positive attitude towards other people's work.
  • As always he implied that he knows more than all the others (combined).
  • He is presumably now happier than before.

Inspite (or because ...) MedEvil is one of my friends: ;)

Peter ;)

#23 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

I remember the time someone from mainland called me for a presentation regarding the new proxy web server that we would deploying in our local network.

It was better than all the others because it came with a huge pre-populated filter of bad sites that shouldn't be visited.

I was very skeptic and was dared by the presenter to try out the reliability of the filter in front of other folks.

Typed "playboy" on the google search box and the search returned http://playboy.com as the top result. Clicked on the link and the box replied back saying something like "content blocked".

The presenter was happy saying "You see? It works.."

This smile lasted until I clicked back to see the previous page where playboy.com was listed by google and clicked on the "cached" link underneath the main link. A new tab was open with a voluptuous girl displaying her assets. I asked: "Are we also going to blacklist google.com?"

People still use the same web proxy today.

Lesson learned, no system is perfect. But I'd still prefer automated black listing than manual listing that just doesn't keep up to these things that users discover every day.

I think this tool is handy for admins and home users that don't want to manually change this setting by themselves. Just like wb, you can use it to build your boot disk or you can do it manually, you should use tools to save you time or make your life a tad easier..

;)

#24 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

Summing up:

;)

;)

#25 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

I remember the time someone from mainland called me for a presentation regarding the new proxy web server that we would deploying in our local network.

It was better than all the others because it came with a huge pre-populated filter of bad sites that shouldn't be visited.

I was very skeptic and was dared by the presenter to try out the reliability of the filter in front of other folks.

Typed "playboy" on the google search box and the search returned http://playboy.com as the top result. Clicked on the link and the box replied back saying something like "content blocked".

The presenter was happy saying "You see? It works.."

This smile lasted until I clicked back to see the previous page where playboy.com was listed by google and clicked on the "cached" link underneath the main link. A new tab was open with a voluptuous girl displaying her assets. I asked: "Are we also going to blacklist google.com?"

People still use the same web proxy today.

That's exactly the kind of problem, i was talking about, to me such a setup is like a system that prevents all the nice people, who would not steal anyway, from stealing, while letting all the thiefs go on.

I have seen this 'illusion of safety' system almost everywhere, not just in it. Measurements employed which make things look safe to the untrained eye, while not really doing anything against a real threat.

I like to call this kind of safety, PR-Safety. I don't know, maybe there is a real value in it, i just can't see it.

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users