#1 klausf

klausf
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:03 AM

Hi all,
I was wondering if it were possible to make an udateable version af winbuilder on a USB stick.
That way it is possible to update antivirus & -spyware definitions.

Or maybe to make a absolute minimal version that has the ability to install programs in it.

Opnions ??

/klausf

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

Hi klausf, welcome ;)

Updatable PE's are generally not possible due to changes saved in RAM (lost at reboot) or non-writable boot media etc. There is (partially) a way around this but requires a different setup described here under 'Adding Portable Apps to LiveXP!' section. The name is somewhat misleading but I havn't been able to come up with a better one; you can use a type of 'portable' applications but this is optional. The main advantage is the ability to save virtually any changes to your PE (in this case LiveXP), including program updates, virus definitions, configuration changes etc. between sessions. Changes and updates made in PE are there, exactly as you left them next time you boot up! Take a look and see if this is what you're looking for, I'll be happy to answer any questions relating to setup ;)

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Amalux, if he doesn't use any kind of Ramboot, only registry settings would get lost after reboot. Downloaded files, like virus definitions, would stick.

;)

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Amalux, if he doesn't use any kind of Ramboot, only registry settings would get lost after reboot. Downloaded files, like virus definitions, would stick.

:P

Can you explain a bit more how you set this up, save files on boot media (only usb/ufd/hdd I assume) or separate location? Limited to fixed location of stored files or show AV programs new location at each boot?

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

The setup is just like for a general CD. All the files are put plain on the USB drive. This way it is possible to add or change files from within a booted PE.

In theory it is also possible to save registry changes.
Though this amounts more to registry recreating.
One would need to export the hives in question from the running registry.
Fix the paths by a replace command.
Mount the hives on the stick, and import the previously, exported and changed hives to them.
Unmount the hives.

Default and Software could be saved without making the Stick machine dependant.
:P Changing syssetup.hiv may make the stick machine dependant or even prevent it completely from booting.

#6 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

The setup is just like for a general CD. All the files are put plain on the USB drive. This way it is possible to add or change files from within a booted PE.

My experience has been that most (all) AV programs don't let you 'browse' to updated definition files. Are you talking about manually copying the files into the PE program folder? This isn't user friendly, most people wouldn't know where to get the files let alone how to process them.

One option is to setup batch updaters which update and then run the programs.
2010_02_05_122052.png

but there's no substitute for having them all ready to go from your PE Start menu :P
2010_02_05_122510.png

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

No you misunderstood Amalux.
One does install the Anti-Virus program into the PE by script, just like any other program.
Then one does boot into the PE-Bootstick connects to the i-net and updates the virus definitions from inside the anti-virus-program, just like it is done on a regular Windows.
This will update the PE itself, not the script or the Winbuilder environment. The next build will again sport the old definitions.

#8 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

No you misunderstood Amalux.

Did I?

This will update the PE itself, not the script or the Winbuilder environment. The next build will again sport the old definitions.

You cancel out your first statement with your last :P

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:41 PM

You cancel out your first statement with your last :P

No i don't.
Read carefully.

The next BUILD not the next BOOT.

The next build done with winbuilder, will create again a PE with the definitions which are in the script.
But the PE on the stick, which was updated, will stay updated!

#10 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

No i don't.
Read carefully.

The next BUILD not the next BOOT.

The next build done with winbuilder, will create again a PE with the definitions which are in the script.
But the PE on the stick, which was updated, will stay updated!

Right, I assumed you meant the next boot; otherwise it's a meaningless statement in regard to this discussion. So I'm back to the original question, You stated that AV updates could be saved between boots in PE.

The obvious implication is that these updated programs would be available (without having to update again) next boot. Is this the case? if so, please provide example of this setup.

#11 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:44 PM

The obvious implication is that these updated programs would be available (without having to update again) next boot. Is this the case?

Yes.

if so, please provide example of this setup.

:cheers: What kind of example do you need? The stick is writable, that means you can write to it! And so can every program.
It is in no way different than a normal XP, if we omit that the registry is not written back to stick! :P

#12 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

:cheers: What kind of example do you need? The stick is writable, that means you can write to it! And so can every program.
It is in no way different than a normal XP, if we omit that the registry is not written back to stick! :cheers:

Ahhh, I finally understand :cheers: , it never occurred to me these weren't separately stored files! The way you describe would add hundreds of MB's to an already slow booting build! Anyway, I get it now, sorry for being dense; reading it back now that's obviously what you meant :P

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14910 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

What if I say the word ERUNT aloud? :P

And I post a few semi-random links?
http://www.911cd.net...?showtopic=8079
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=11750
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=14079

Wonko

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:56 AM

Ahhh, I finally understand :cheers: , it never occurred to me these weren't separately stored files! The way you describe would add hundreds of MB's to an already slow booting build!

Not quit.
1. I have never seen an updated database being hundreds of MB bigger, than the not updated.
2. If the Stick boots with USB2.0 speed, it would boot fast.
3. A PE, plain on the Stick, would boot faster, than a PE using some kind of ramboot.

If of course you're preferring some USB1.1 boot-stick, i would suggest switching to CD for speed improvement. :cheers:

Anyway, I get it now, sorry for being dense; reading it back now that's obviously what you meant :cheers:

I told you, you misunderstood! :P

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:01 AM

What if I say the word ERUNT aloud? :P

I would say aloud, in reply to what? :P

:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic