apparently PortableApps now have a Format Specification (see links below)
> http://portableapps....apps.com_format <
PortableApps.com Format™ 1.0 (2009-11-24)
PortableApps.com Format is a simple specification that governs the file and directory layout as well as operating behavior of portable apps. File are distributed as easy-to-use .paf.exe™ installer files. The specification is broken into sections for easy reading.
* 1. Directory and File Layout
* 2. AppInfo.ini (App Configuration)
* 3. Icons
* 4. PortableApps.com Installer (and installer.ini)
* 5. Host PC Modifications & Portability
* 6. Plugin Installers
* 7. Version History and Discussion
not directly related but similar
Portable Application Description (PAD )
The actual PAD specification is itself an XML file.
A PAD file is a well-formed, UTF-8 encoded XML 1.0 file containing the data fields listed(in link) below: