#526 Jo1912

Jo1912
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

Wonko the sane:

I do not have a handle on how the image is created, since NT6 fast installer is doing it with something like  'imagex /apply install.wim 1 X:'

I.e. I don't get to choose packages/components like when using the builder wizard.

So indeed, there seems to be a component that the builder wizard installs, but imagex does not.

Like you say, embedded is a different beast than other win7 installations.

Seems there is no obvious path to go on right now so I'll put this on hold for a while.

Thanks for the links!

#527 Firebeast

Firebeast
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

Can someone please help me? I use the program to install windows 7 to my usb external hard drive and i see the windows files are there but im not able to boot with it.

Edited by Firebeast, 25 September 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#528 Banksman

Banksman
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:25 PM

Hello, I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 7 onto a new 500Gb SSD to replace an existing 120 which is at full capacity. Rather than using the Data Migration program supplied with the drive which will move everything including problems I have with an HP printer program which won't reinstall. My plan is to re-install (from OEM CD?DVD's) all my programs onto the new SSD as a USB drive before physically replacing the existing drive in the desktop. Will this work using the Fast Installer program and will the drive letters sort themselves out or am I better just to swap out the SSD and start from scratch?

I don't confess to being an expert but can find my way around most things with some guidance.

Any help would be appreciated.

#529 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1344 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

Will this work using the Fast Installer program and will the drive letters sort themselves

Yes, this should work.

or am I better just to swap out the SSD and start from scratch?
I don't confess to being an expert

I would swap the SSD first.
If anyting goes wrong, the first SSD is available still. Kind of a back up.

#530 BobTheLawyer

BobTheLawyer
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

This is a bit of a bump, but I'd like to install Windows 7 Professional on my external HDD, so I can boot from Win7 when need be, instead of being stuck with Win10.

I followed the instructions here, but when I boot to my HDD, it starts showing the windows loading screen, but before finishing, it gets this bluescreen.

I have my HDD split into 2 partitions.  One has all my data I need to keep saved.  The other is for windows 7.  I have the other one as my active partition on the HDD.  When I run the program, I select the partition for windows 7 as the one to install to, and the one to create the boot partition on.  Then when I restart, I boot to the HDD.  

I have tried creating a separate partition on the external HDD just for the boot loader, but it hasn't helped.

Someone said that this wouldn't work when installing SP1, so I've tried installing a version without SP1.

I use 7zip to extract the iso and get all the necessary files. 

Also, I have multiple versions of bdcdboot, BootSect, and imagex.  I initially used them all from my "...\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64".  Using the one's from the "...\Tools\ia64" folder causes the application found here to not even work.  I don't use the one's from the "...\Tools\x86" folder, as I'm using 64bit.  

I changed to using the bootsect.exe from the "boot" folder of the windows iso I'm using.  

Someone suggested putting this program and the windows files on the other partition of the HDD I'm installing to, which didn't help.  Any ideas?

#531 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1344 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

@BobTheLawyer
Which hardware do you use?
Do you use a USB3.0 port? Windows 7 dosnt provide USb 3.0 drivers by default.
Try the native stack approach too. Read this thread.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users