#526 Jo1912

Jo1912
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

Wonko the sane:

I do not have a handle on how the image is created, since NT6 fast installer is doing it with something like  'imagex /apply install.wim 1 X:'

I.e. I don't get to choose packages/components like when using the builder wizard.

So indeed, there seems to be a component that the builder wizard installs, but imagex does not.

Like you say, embedded is a different beast than other win7 installations.

Seems there is no obvious path to go on right now so I'll put this on hold for a while.

Thanks for the links!

#527 Firebeast

Firebeast
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

Can someone please help me? I use the program to install windows 7 to my usb external hard drive and i see the windows files are there but im not able to boot with it.

Edited by Firebeast, 25 September 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#528 Banksman

Banksman
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:25 PM

Hello, I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 7 onto a new 500Gb SSD to replace an existing 120 which is at full capacity. Rather than using the Data Migration program supplied with the drive which will move everything including problems I have with an HP printer program which won't reinstall. My plan is to re-install (from OEM CD?DVD's) all my programs onto the new SSD as a USB drive before physically replacing the existing drive in the desktop. Will this work using the Fast Installer program and will the drive letters sort themselves out or am I better just to swap out the SSD and start from scratch?

I don't confess to being an expert but can find my way around most things with some guidance.

Any help would be appreciated.

#529 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1397 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

Will this work using the Fast Installer program and will the drive letters sort themselves

Yes, this should work.

or am I better just to swap out the SSD and start from scratch?
I don't confess to being an expert

I would swap the SSD first.
If anyting goes wrong, the first SSD is available still. Kind of a back up.

#530 BobTheLawyer

BobTheLawyer
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

This is a bit of a bump, but I'd like to install Windows 7 Professional on my external HDD, so I can boot from Win7 when need be, instead of being stuck with Win10.

I followed the instructions here, but when I boot to my HDD, it starts showing the windows loading screen, but before finishing, it gets this bluescreen.

I have my HDD split into 2 partitions.  One has all my data I need to keep saved.  The other is for windows 7.  I have the other one as my active partition on the HDD.  When I run the program, I select the partition for windows 7 as the one to install to, and the one to create the boot partition on.  Then when I restart, I boot to the HDD.  

I have tried creating a separate partition on the external HDD just for the boot loader, but it hasn't helped.

Someone said that this wouldn't work when installing SP1, so I've tried installing a version without SP1.

I use 7zip to extract the iso and get all the necessary files. 

Also, I have multiple versions of bdcdboot, BootSect, and imagex.  I initially used them all from my "...\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64".  Using the one's from the "...\Tools\ia64" folder causes the application found here to not even work.  I don't use the one's from the "...\Tools\x86" folder, as I'm using 64bit.  

I changed to using the bootsect.exe from the "boot" folder of the windows iso I'm using.  

Someone suggested putting this program and the windows files on the other partition of the HDD I'm installing to, which didn't help.  Any ideas?

#531 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1397 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

@BobTheLawyer
Which hardware do you use?
Do you use a USB3.0 port? Windows 7 dosnt provide USb 3.0 drivers by default.
Try the native stack approach too. Read this thread.

#532 istinnstudio

istinnstudio
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

hello.., is there a way with this tool of upgrading, reinstalling (not clean install) an already cloned win7 OS on a usb hdd partition? I mean can there be a modified script version without formatting, just reboot and do a non destructive reinstall or upgrade to a later version maube? --- in order to fork the os to a portable form or reinstall to solve bsod issues.

If not, do you think of other ways that this usb partition OS clone (*with an already working modified boot entry), can be reinstalled or upgraded? or there has to be one and only way of the usb to sata disk switching? 

thanks

Edited by istinnstudio, 14 February 2018 - 07:20 PM.

#533 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Tried but failed. I have 3TB Seagate HDD I have a 15 GB partition, I kept this partition for "Window 7 On The Go" I was searching for a tutorial how to install Windows 7 in that partition, I found this tutorial, I have loads of data in my 3TB HDD and I was not sure about this method, I was afraid of my 3TB HDD getting formatted accidently I didn't try, recently I got a new laptop of 2TB HDD transfered all my data to laptop and then tried, thankfully my HDD didn't get formatted but after running Install.cmd, I had to boot my PC into my 3TB HDD, but unfortunately it didn't boot into 3TB HDD so I couldn't complete the installation, tried 3-4 time but my PC is not booting into my HDD. I did change the boot device from boot menu but not booting into 3TB HDD.

Please help me, I desparately need a Windows 7 On The Go. Just for your information, my 3TB HDD need external power source to work, does my problem lie here only and can't we do something about this?

#534 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14323 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

"Doesn't boot" is not a description of what happens, nor "I tried" describes anything.

But it isn't uncommon that such a large hard disk is not bootable, it depends on a number of factors, including the specific firmware BIOS/UEFI, the way the disk has been partitioned (MBR vs. GPT), etc.

This manual tutorial was however intended for a "normal" 7 on BIOS/MBR.

Depending on the hardware you have it may be not suited, and you might have more luck with the successor program here:
https://msfn.org/boa...nntsetup-v3886/

BUT you SHOULDN'T even THINK of experimenting with a hard disk that contains valuable data.

:duff:
Wonko
  • nice_guy75 likes this

#535 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

1. Don't worry about my data, I have already mentioned, I have already backed up my data in my new Laptop.

2. Mine is MBR partitioned, though I have search the net before answering this question, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. My system is very old and it is BIOS, I didn't change the first boot device in BIOS just selected my 3TB HDD from boot menu.

Thanks for the new tutorial, but as far as I understand this one is for VHD, I want to install directly in my 15 GB partition and don't want to use third party app.

Can my problem be fixed or I can't boot into my 3TB HDD? If you can suggest something I can try.

I tried means I tried to boot 3-4 times by selecting my HDD from boot menu but nothing happens, no error nothing, it just boot into internal HDD after 5-10 secs.

Edited by nice_guy75, 07 June 2018 - 02:18 PM.

#536 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14323 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

Problem is that you cannot really-really MBR partition a 3 TB hard disk unless it exposes a 4 kb geometry, and if it does, it won't be bootable, or - otherwise - you can use only the first 2 TB MBR partitioned.

If the disk is 512 bytes/sector and you partitioned that 3 TB disk under Windows 7, it very likely is GPT, if you partitioned it under Vista or earlier it is definitely MBR (but you cannot access more than 2 TB), Windows 7 AFAIK can see the whole disk and automatically creates a GPT disk.

If the BIOS is very old, it may have much smaller limit for booting (from USB bus or generally) such as the 128 GB/137 GiB barrier (rather common on the USB stack on older BIOSes).

So, post the exact make/model of the disk you are using and if you can also the BIOS/motherboard you are using, it is possible that the issue is related to disk size (and may be solved), that is related to disk sector size (and may not be resolved) or that is connected to BIOS  and could be soved by using an intermediate bootmanager such as grub4dos with an "own" USB stack.

Ideally you could try with a smaller disk.

The part that is failing right now is the early booting part, so all is needed is to have the "right" MBR code and PBRcode (in case use bootsect.exe to write them) and a copy of BOOTMGR in root of the active partition for the test, it shoull boot and then halt with an error that it cannot find the BCD.

Wonko 

#537 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

My HDD is seagate SRD00F2, my friend got it for me from US some 5-6 years back. Yeah I partitioned it on Windows 7 and there are as many as 7 partitions in this disk.

I don't know much about MBR and GPT partition so only I had to search the net earlier as well and I guess I made a mistake in understanding. If it is GTP can I still have a working Windows On The Go? Now regarding BIOS, I am trying it on office PC and currently I am at home, will give you BIOS and motherboard information tomorrow. I am a newbie so please help me considering it.

I think you can help me to have a Windows 7 On The Go.

Please bear the pain you might experience in helping me.  :(  :(  :(  :( 

Problem is that you cannot really-really MBR partition a 3 TB hard disk unless it exposes a 4 kb geometry, and if it does, it won't be bootable, or - otherwise - you can use only the first 2 TB MBR partitioned.

If the disk is 512 bytes/sector and you partitioned that 3 TB disk under Windows 7, it very likely is GPT, if you partitioned it under Vista or earlier it is definitely MBR (but you cannot access more than 2 TB), Windows 7 AFAIK can see the whole disk and automatically creates a GPT disk.

If the BIOS is very old, it may have much smaller limit for booting (from USB bus or generally) such as the 128 GB/137 GiB barrier (rather common on the USB stack on older BIOSes).

So, post the exact make/model of the disk you are using and if you can also the BIOS/motherboard you are using, it is possible that the issue is related to disk size (and may be solved), that is related to disk sector size (and may not be resolved) or that is connected to BIOS  and could be soved by using an intermediate bootmanager such as grub4dos with an "own" USB stack.

Ideally you could try with a smaller disk.

The part that is failing right now is the early booting part, so all is needed is to have the "right" MBR code and PBRcode (in case use bootsect.exe to write them) and a copy of BOOTMGR in root of the active partition for the test, it shoull boot and then halt with an error that it cannot find the BCD.

Wonko 

#538 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14323 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

Loosely (NOT "exactly"):

BIOS=MBR

UEFI=GPT

Your BIOS doesn't (cannot) see the MBR code (simply because such code doesn't exist in the GPT scheme) and thus it doesn't (cannot) boot.

There are workarounds, not exactly aimed at the total beginner (nor suitable to the faint of heart) but all in all doable :), that imply the use of an intermediate bootmanager.

The related thread is here (only as a reference, it is a tad bit too "advanced" for the "common user"):

http://reboot.pro/to...in-bios-to-gpt/

and, as often happens for "work in progress" threads everyone has chimed in with this (or that , or that other) different ideas/projects/whatever, so I wouldn' t really recommend it if not to an extremely advanced user with a lot of patience.

Point is whether it would be actually worth it to use this (or that) experimental (and unsupported) methods to "only" have that Windows 7 installed to that disk.

Do you have other computers running older than 7 Windows OS?

If not, you can have the whole 3 TB accessible using a specific (and not up to debate) formatting of a "first" partition slightly less than 2 TB and a second partition around 1 TB (rest of the disk) as MBR, that though requires some fiddling, is a much easier procedure (though you will lose all the data on the disk and you will be limited to the two partitions, one 2 TB and the other 1 TB), reference is here (but you will need some guidance in order to replicate):

https://msfn.org/boa...comment=1142727

BEFORE attempting anything of the above, it needs to be checked if the disk (actually the USB enclosure/adapter) is exposing 4 kb sectors, if this is the case (as it happened on other SRD00F2 in the past, the number is for the actual enclosure, that seemingly is an auto-switching type):

https://msfn.org/boa...s-not-detected/

there is no way to boot from it and one would need a "helper" (either in the internal hard disk or on a USB Stick or similar)

Wonko

• nice_guy75 likes this

#539 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:39 AM

Loosely (NOT "exactly"):

BIOS=MBR

UEFI=GPT

Your BIOS doesn't (cannot) see the MBR code (simply because such code doesn't exist in the GPT scheme) and thus it doesn't (cannot) boot.

There are workarounds, not exactly aimed at the total beginner (nor suitable to the faint of heart) but all in all doable :), that imply the use of an intermediate bootmanager.

The related thread is here (only as a reference, it is a tad bit too "advanced" for the "common user"):

http://reboot.pro/to...in-bios-to-gpt/

and, as often happens for "work in progress" threads everyone has chimed in with this (or that , or that other) different ideas/projects/whatever, so I wouldn' t really recommend it if not to an extremely advanced user with a lot of patience.

Point is whether it would be actually worth it to use this (or that) experimental (and unsupported) methods to "only" have that Windows 7 installed to that disk.

Do you have other computers running older than 7 Windows OS?

If not, you can have the whole 3 TB accessible using a specific (and not up to debate) formatting of a "first" partition slightly less than 2 TB and a second partition around 1 TB (rest of the disk) as MBR, that though requires some fiddling, is a much easier procedure (though you will lose all the data on the disk and you will be limited to the two partitions, one 2 TB and the other 1 TB), reference is here (but you will need some guidance in order to replicate):

https://msfn.org/boa...comment=1142727

BEFORE attempting anything of the above, it needs to be checked if the disk (actually the USB enclosure/adapter) is exposing 4 kb sectors, if this is the case (as it happened on other SRD00F2 in the past, the number is for the actual enclosure, that seemingly is an auto-switching type):

there is no way to boot from it and one would need a "helper" (either in the internal hard disk or on a USB Stick or similar)

Wonko

Ok I have checked, My disk has MBR partition, I have formatted it on XP with 512 bytes/sector, and then installed Windows 7 Ultimate still it is not booting into HDD. So I believe all these tutorial and advance things are not required in my case, as my disk has MBR partition and I am trying to boot into it using a BIOS. I was trying to have a Windows 7 On The Go (W7OTG) for my office computer, which is stil on XP. My machine is Acer Veriton M275, I have already downloaded the latest firmware of its BIOS but I did not update my BIOS before, I have seen the tutorial for updating BIOS and I think I can update it. Though my BIOS version is P01.A4 release date is 6/12/2010. The latest version of BIOS is P01.C2L released on 5/03/2012.

Now the last thing left is USB eclosure of my Seagate SRD00F2, if it is, what you are assuming, an auto-switching type, then I won't be able to boot into this HDD, right?

Means this is a dead end for me? In this case do you recommend me to update my BIOS, only for this purpose or I should stop trying and should settle with Windows 7 on USB?

Edited by nice_guy75, 08 June 2018 - 06:40 AM.

#540 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

Wonko

If I need a "helper" to over come this limitation, can you please help me in getting one and method to use it so that I can boot into my Seagate 3TB HDD?

Edited by nice_guy75, 08 June 2018 - 07:26 AM.

#541 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14323 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

If I need a "helper" to over come this limitation, can you please help me in getting one and method to use it so that I can boot into my Seagate 3TB HDD?

It is largely unexplored land.

Ok I have checked, My disk has MBR partition, I have formatted it on XP with 512 bytes/sector, and then installed Windows 7 Ultimate still it is not booting into HDD. So I believe all these tutorial and advance things are not required in my case, as my disk has MBR partition and I am trying to boot into it using a BIOS. I was trying to have a Windows 7 On The Go (W7OTG) for my office computer, which is stil on XP. My machine is Acer Veriton M275, I have already downloaded the latest firmware of its BIOS but I did not update my BIOS before, I have seen the tutorial for updating BIOS and I think I can update it. Though my BIOS version is P01.A4 release date is 6/12/2010. The latest version of BIOS is P01.C2L released on 5/03/2012.

How (exactly) did you partition it?

If you did that to the disk when outside of the USB case, then it is possible that it was exposed as 512 bytes sector BUT, if this is the case, then you cannot have all the 3 TB accessible.

If you did that when the disk was inside the USB case AND you can access all the 3 TB THEN the disk is seen as 4kb sector. 

It needs too be checked if the disk exposes (when in operation inside the USB case) 512 bytes or 4 kb.

Get Hdhacker:
http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

use it to save a copy of the MBR (physical drive) and of bootsector (logical drive).

Compress the two files in a .zip or .7z archive and attach the archive to your next post.

Again, this is mathematical, a 512 bytes/sector disk maxes at roughly 2 TB, on the other hand no BIOS will boot from a 4 kb disk, or at least this has been the experience till now..

It has to be seen (I believe it is possible, but needs to be tested) if a recent version of grub4dos (booted from the internal disk) can access and mount the 4 Kb based filesystem and the Windows 7 files can then proceed to boot the OS.

Now the last thing left is USB eclosure of my Seagate SRD00F2, if it is, what you are assuming, an auto-switching type, then I won't be able to boot into this HDD, right?

Means this is a dead end for me? In this case do you recommend me to update my BIOS, only for this purpose or I should stop trying and should settle with Windows 7 on USB?

Updating the BIOS (which in itself is a *somehow risky* operation) is NOT recommended, unless you are experiencing any issue, surely (like 99.99%) the BIOS update won't solve the issue at hand (it may resolve other issues, but if you have none, leave the BIOS as is).

I hate to say this, but it is IMHO not worth the time/effort of the experiment, this kind of stuff is fun and interesting when it comes to doing the experiments for the sake of the experimenting and learning new, strange things, but not when the scope is solving a real world problem.

Get a smaller USB disk, let's say 512 GB or less, it would be easier and safer.

Wonko
  • nice_guy75 likes this

#542 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

I don't remember but I guess I must have partitioned it on Windows 7. But today I have connected my 3TB HDD to my office PC running on XP, right clicked on the drive I wish to install Windows 7, selected format option and changed Allocation unit size to 512 bytes and clicked on OK, doesn't it format the drive 512 bytes/sect?

How (exactly) did you partition it?

If you did that to the disk when outside of the USB case, then it is possible that it was exposed as 512 bytes sector BUT, if this is the case, then you cannot have all the 3 TB accessible.

If you did that when the disk was inside the USB case AND you can access all the 3 TB THEN the disk is seen as 4kb sector. 

It needs too be checked if the disk exposes (when in operation inside the USB case) 512 bytes or 4 kb.

The files you wanted are here:

It has to be seen (I believe it is possible, but needs to be tested) if a recent version of grub4dos (booted from the internal disk) can access and mount the 4 Kb based filesystem and the Windows 7 files can then proceed to boot the OS.

If it can be done using Grub4dos, I would love to learn it. I really like learning new things especially related to computers. So I request you to please invest some time to help me learn this.

Updating the BIOS (which in itself is a *somehow risky* operation) is NOT recommended, unless you are experiencing any issue, surely (like 99.99%) the BIOS update won't solve the issue at hand (it may resolve other issues, but if you have none, leave the BIOS as is).

I hate to say this, but it is IMHO not worth the time/effort of the experiment, this kind of stuff is fun and interesting when it comes to doing the experiments for the sake of the experimenting and learning new, strange things, but not when the scope is solving a real world problem.

Get a smaller USB disk, let's say 512 GB or less, it would be easier and safer.

Wonko

Last but not the least, I got your point and not going to update my BIOS, but looking forward to learn to boot into my 3TB HDD using Grub4dos, I want to learn it, though I can have Windows 7 On The Go on any of my Pen Drives but I want to learn this thing. I hope you understand.

Though I really appreciate your passions, wasting your time on a newbie like me. Thank you very much.

#543 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:39 PM

Tried this tutorial but no success.

http://agnipulse.com...4dos-hard-disk/

#544 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14323 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:33 PM

Yep, checked the files you posted.

The disk is MBR (good) BUT it exposes 4kb sectors (bad).

You don't really want to "install" grub4dos.

You are using a XP so you can add it (without any need to "install" it) to the BOOT.INI in the internal hard disk (normally C:\)

All you need is to edit the C:\BOOT.INI (Notepad will do, but you might need to unhide and made the C:\BOOT.INI NOT read only) adding this line:

C:\grldr="grub4dos"

Then you need to download this file:

http://dl.grub4dos.c...a-2017-12-23.7z

(it is the latest 0.4.6a version from last year, it should be good enough for testing, latest-latest versions resulted in some bugs, so for the moment it is better to avoiid them).

and from it extract ONLY grldr, copying it to root of the C:\ drive (i.e. C:\grldr).

When you edit the BOOT.INI check that you have a "decent" timeout, like 10 seconds or so, to allow you to make a choice.

Next time you boot, you should be able to choose between "normal" XP booting and "grub4dos".

If you choose grub4dos you should find yourself to a grub> prompt.

at it - for the moment - just type:

chainloader /ntldr

[ENTER]

boot

[ENTER]

and you should be back to the BOOT.INI choices.

Wonko

• nice_guy75 likes this

#545 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:11 AM

Wonko the Sane, on 08 Jun 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:
All you need is to edit the C:\BOOT.INI (Notepad will do, but you might need to unhide and made the C:\BOOT.INI NOT read only) adding this line:

Thank you very much Wonko,
Today is Saturday and weekend has already started, so I would go to the office on Monday, I don't have XP machine at home. I am currently on my laptop with Windows 10, so I can't follow your tutorial just yet. Before I go ahead and edit Boot.ini, I want to know where should I add this line in my boot.ini?

I seached on the net and get to know this is how a typical boot.ini of XP should look like
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

secondly, I am little confused. Once I see grub>prompt how to boot into Windows 7 of 3TB HDD from grub>prompt? If I give chainloader /NTLDR and boot command, I would see boot.ini options of "normal" XP booting and "grub4dos" option and by selecting "normal" option I can boot into system partition of my internal HDD which has XP, and If I select "grub4dos" do I have to give chainloader /grldr and boot command to load into Windows 7 of my 3TB HDD? Will it seach grldr itself or I have to give the path as well like chainloader /K:/grldr, where K happen to be my drive where I have installed Windows 7 or mere "chainloader /grldr" command is sufficient enough to boot into Windows 7 of 3TB HDD?

Wonko the Sane, on 08 Jun 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:
Next time you boot, you should be able to choose between "normal" XP booting and "grub4dos".
If you choose grub4dos you should find yourself to a grub> prompt.
at it - for the moment - just type:
chainloader /ntldr
[ENTER]
boot
[ENTER]
and you should be back to the BOOT.INI choices.

Edited by nice_guy75, 09 June 2018 - 03:16 AM.

#546 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14323 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:14 AM

More than one step involved:

1) setup grub4dos

2) make sure that the grldr works and can be started on that machine

3) start experimenting with the external USB 4kb disk

4) ???

5) (hopefully) profit!

At the moment we are at #1 and #2, see this for details on the BOOT.INI contents, you add the grldr line at the end of it:

http://diddy.boot-la...ws.htm#windows1

Once the thingy is verified to be working, loosely you will need to initialize the grub4dos internal USB stack, see if you can access the USB disk, and then attempt to root to the partition where windows 7 is and attempt to chainload its BOOTMGR, possibly there will be the need to re-map the disks and/or use an image to start the booting of the Windows 7, it has to be seen.

It could be as simple as (but don't count on it to be so easy and to succeed at first try) issueing these commands:

usb --init

find --set-root /bootmgr

chainloader /bootmgr

boot

Once (IF) a set of commands is found to be working, they can be written to a menu.lst (the equivalent of the boot.ini menu for grub4dos) so that you will have an entry to select for booting the Windows 7 without needing to type the commands every time.

Wonko

• nice_guy75 likes this

#547 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:36 AM

More than one step involved:
1) setup grub4dos

You were right it is not that easy to do, "Setup grub4dos" means editing boot.ini of my XP and placing grldr in the root of the partition where I installed Windows 7? I did that and placed grldr (not grldr.mbr) in the root of the partition of my 3TB HDD in which I have installed windows 7 but when I boot my system, and select grub4dos, it is not taking me to the grub> prompt, instead giving me an error which reads something like this:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll

Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

I checked......... the file is already there in system32 folder of my XP as well as in Windows 7. Tried reinstalling windows 7 once again but same problem. It is not taking me to the grub>prompt so there is no question of executing other commands which you gave me.

Edited by nice_guy75, 11 June 2018 - 05:46 AM.

#548 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14323 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:25 AM

You were right it is not that easy to do, "Setup grub4dos" means editing boot.ini of my XP and placing grldr in the root of the partition where I installed Windows 7? 

No, you need to put the grldr in the internal disk, in root, (where BOOT.INI is, that normally is your C:\ drive).

The point is that without *something else* (which hopefully is grub4dos/grldr) your BIOS canNOT access the 3 TB disk (more technically it an access it, but since it is 4 KB sector it cannot understand the booting code in its MBR).

You have to think that grub4dos in this case represents (loosely) an extension of your BIOS.

Your current operation when booting:

1) BIOS

2) MBR code of your internal hard disk

3) NTLDR (the XP loader)

4) BOOT.INI

5) No choices, so boot XP

What you want to have:

1) BIOS

2) MBR code of your internal hard disk

3) NTLDR (the XP loader)

4) BOOT.INI

5) Two choices: boot XP OR grub4dos

6a) if you choose XP same as before

6b) if you choose grub4dos, possibility to boot something else (including, hopefully the OS on your external hard disk)

Wonko

• nice_guy75 likes this

#549 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

It could be as simple as (but don't count on it to be so easy and to succeed at first try) issueing these commands:
usb --init
find --set-root /bootmgr
chainloader /bootmgr
boot

Once (IF) a set of commands is found to be working, they can be written to a menu.lst (the equivalent of the boot.ini menu for grub4dos) so that you will have an entry to select for booting the Windows 7 without needing to type the commands every time.

Wonko

Went ahead a little, trid all these command, and finally I got the location of bootmgr, it is in (hd0,0) (not sure if it is the right location or not) but when I gave boot command, it is saying "kernel but be loaded before booting" now the question how can I can load the kernel.

I know I am troubling you too much but I am very exicited to learn these booting things. I must appreciate your passions, :-)

I hope you won't leave me in the middle.

#550 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14323 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

Went ahead a little, trid all these command, and finally I got the location of bootmgr, it is in (hd0,0) (not sure if it is the right location or not) but when I gave boot command, it is saying "kernel but be loaded before booting" now the question how can I can load the kernel.

I know I am troubling you too much but I am very exicited to learn these booting things. I must appreciate your passions, :-)

I hope you won't leave me in the middle.

Yep, you are always going a couple steps ahead, nothing bad of course, and as a matter of fact within limits it is a good thing, you are curious and you want to explore things, but in this case I believe you'd better take baby steps.

Allow me to doubt that the bootmgr (the one on the USB hard disk) is on (hd0,0).

Assuming that you have the grldr working, you need to take these steps, booting WITHOUT the USB hard disk connected

1) at the grub4dos prompt type:

root (

[TAB] <- this means press the TAB key

grub4dos should attempt to autocomplete the line suggesting something like:

hd0 rd cd

2) jolt down these (they are the devices grub4dos can see/access)

Now shutdown, connect the USB hard disk and boot again.

1) at the grub4dos prompt type:

root (

[TAB] <- this means press the TAB key

grub4dos should attempt to autocomplete the line suggesting something like:

hd0 rd cd

2) jolt down these (they should be the same as the ones listed before

3) issue the command

usb --init

[ENTER]

4) type:

root (

[TAB]

5) any difference (like an added hd1) on the list of devices?

6) IF there is an added hd1 (or hd2, etc.), then issue a:

geometry  (hd1)

[ENTER]

7) what do you see? Please report.

8) now (provided that all the above worked as expected) identify the partition/volume to which you installed the windows 7 and root to it, i.e. something like:

root (hd1,0)

[ENTER]

(in the example (hd1,0) means first partition on second disk)

9) issue a

ls

[ENTER]

10) can you see the BOOTMGR listed (you will see it as bootmgr, in small letters)

11) again if you can see that, issue a 

chainloader /bootmgr

[ENTER]

11) grub4dos should give some feedback, report it, something like "will boot xxxx from drive=xxxx, partiyion xxxx (hidden sectors xxxxx)"

12) if you see that, issue a

boot

[ENTER]

what happens?

Wonko

• nice_guy75 likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users