594 replies to this topic

#501 tommypic

tommypic
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

when I try to load win7 on external hd using aik and win installer I get windows 7\WAIK files\imagex.exe is not a valid win32 application , is ther something im doing wrong

#502 rocketero

rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

After 4 years that I did install windows 7 64bit to usb successfully (http://reboot.pro/to...indpost&p=92592) I was trying again today to install windows 7 32bit to a usb and for some reason the installer.cmd script is failing and exiting with the error ;can not find SetWimPath.cmd or something similar. I can not see this file and the script is calling for it otherwise it will terminate in failure.

The host is Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit.

UPDATE: after creating manually the file setwimpath.cmd with the following command inside (for my setup):

set wimpath="O:\sources\install.wim"

the installer.cmd now runs even that after selecting the install.wim and clicking the open button there is a jumping window in Windows 8.1 Enterprise64bit saying: Windows Command Processor has stopped working.

So far so good, it's extracting the wim and applying it.

But there is an error after applying the wim to the usb: here is the details of the messages:

Windows Vista/2008/7/2008 R2 Fast Installer   ======================================== 2010.02.19 ===========================================   Path of your Wim file: "O:\sources\install.wim"   The index number: 1   Drive letter for OS partition: E:   Drive letter for boot partition: E:   USB hard disk or not: YES   All informatition is collected! Press Enter to start installation ...   After the installation, the drive letter of the OS partition will be C:. If you want to   use other drive letter, please directly input the letter (e.g. D) and press Enter.   Attention! A and B is invalid.   Extracting the WIM file, it needs some time, please wait...ImageX Tool for WindowsCopyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.Version: 6.1.7600.16385[ 100% ] Applying progressSuccessfully applied image.Total elapsed time: 64 min 41 sec   The Wim file applied O.K.   Processing the registry and usb boot watcher ...   Error occured when loading the registry   Press any key to exit ...

LAST UPDATE: Finally I made it work using another PC that was running Windows 7 64bit as a host.

I created two USB Sticks, one (32GB) booting with Windows 7 SP1 x64 and the other USB stick (16GB) booting with Windows 7 32bit.

I used RMPREPUSB to format the USB sticks so they were listed as HardDrives in BIOS.

Thanks again fujianabc for your work, even that this thread is now 4 years old is still valid.

Peace !

I just edited the 4 years old thread I had and updated it as of today and placed the steps I took to create these 2 bootable Windows USB sticks: Here is the updated thread in Post # 8

#503 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

hello, somebody tried this lately ? Still working ? Thank you for confirmation.

#504 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14401 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

hello, somebody tried this lately ? Still working ? Thank you for confirmation.

No :(, it has an hardcoded expiration date set on the 29th July 2015 :w00t:, you are late. :whistling:

Of course it works, as it has always worked :thumbsup:

Now :) maybe you may be interested into the more automated (and with a number of added features) tool WinNTSetup by JFX (which was originated by this method), here:

http://www.msfn.org/...ndows-from-usb/

http://www.msfn.org/...811-385-beta-1/

:duff:

Wonko

#505 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

Thank you so much for confirmation I will do it now. Looks a bit complicated I was scare to start if it was sure that I would fail :-)

But now I am confused, should I use your 2 links ? Or follow the first post of this thread ?

Thank you again so much so much !

#506 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6768 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

Try WinToUSB - very easy to use and will install to VHD too.

http://rmprepusb.blo...to-go-onto.html

#507 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

Sorry but I want to install it on external HDD because my internet hdd seems to have problem, what should I use ?

#508 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14401 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

Sorry but I want to install it on external HDD because my internet hdd seems to have problem, what should I use ?

You can use both, it only depends on what you find more suited to you.

The method in first post is a half manual option, the WINNTSETUP:

http://www.msfn.org/...811-385-beta-1/

is a fully automated one.

If the base method "Looks a bit complicated" to you, try the automated method (you'll need ANYWAY to read the documentation BEFORE attempting using the latter).

Wonko

#509 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

ok i failed a first time the manual version.

Now trying Wintousb.

Actually I wonder why a complicated way is still proposed if there is an easy automatic one ?

#510 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

Failed with WinToUSB_Setup.exe

:-)

maybe my windows version is bad, I will try another one.

And if I unsderstand WinNTSetup3.rar is another program to install it automatically ?

Usually people have more success with which program ?

Thanks for all <3

#511 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14401 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

Well, "failed" means "nothing".

If you describe:

• which is your environment/setup
  • what (EXACTLY) you did
  • what (EXACTLY) error/problem you encountered

then maybe someone might be able to assist you (here for the manual or half automated way or on the MSFN thread for WINNTSETUP).

Noone here suggested you WintoUSB .

A common issue is however if you are using a USB 3.0 port with a 7 source, and as well results may depend on which OS you run the batch on.

Wonko

#512 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hello, sorry, you are right, I as speaking like my Mom when she says "it doesn't work" hahaha

I am trying to install on external USB HDD windows 7 ultimate.

when i boot on the installed HDD it starts to set up (registry etc...) then 5 mns later I get an error message and everything stops.

I am not trying your semi automatic way and will report later :-)

Thanks again.

#513 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

Do you think it makes any difference if I am trying to install windows 7 on external hard disk from a windows 10 computer ?

#514 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:35 PM

Sorry forgot to tell that Winusb error was:

UNEXPECTED ERROR dialog box after restart (auto restart avec 1% of installing)

Now trying WinNTSetup_x64.exe, I am on windows 10 to do the process for another computer.

#515 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:51 PM

Now I tried WinNTSetup_x64.exe but it needs install.wim

which I do not have ? I only have an iso ?

I found this:

https://technet.micr...y/dn621983.aspx

and this

http://www.danscours...-windowspe.html

BUT I do not have any computer with windows 7 installed to create a WIM image, is there any other solution ?

Thank you for your help.

#516 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14401 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

Yep :), replied on MSFN.

You need to understand the basics anyway, you need to mount the .iso or extract its contents.

What you found has nothing to do (one link is for WIMBOOT - that only applies to Windows 8.1 - and the other one is for making a WINDOWS PE).

Wonko

#517 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

<3 <3 <3

#518 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:44 PM

Stupid me ! Thanks, trying soon <3

OK I found in "source" folder "install.wim".

Then I used it on WinNTSetup_x64.exe

I am trying now but it asked me the location of the boot drive ? I selected the same as the external had disk on which I want to install windows 7, is it ok ?

#519 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:13 PM

I am so desperate.

WinNTSetup_x64. shows no error and tells me that it will do something after restart but when i restart nothing happens.

Then when I plug the external HDD on the other computer it loads windows and automatically restarts in a loop showing me the page where you can select SAFE MODE. It doesn't continue the windows install.

What I can do more ? Thanks for all.

#520 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:26 AM

hi buythiscomputer,

maybe this thread http://reboot.pro/to...721-winntsetup/can be more helpful.

#521 buythiscomputer

buythiscomputer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

Thank you but I didn't find anything helpful on this link.

I am still fighting with my problems, the problem is that my internal hard disk is no more used by the system and that the problem is not the hard disk as i tried others...

hi buythiscomputer,

maybe this thread http://reboot.pro/to...721-winntsetup/can be more helpful.

#522 Jo1912

Jo1912
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

I have used NT6 fast installer to install windows 7 on a VHD file located on a USB drive and it worked flawlessly.

It was win7 ultimate in that case.

However when I try to do the same (same drive, same setup) for window 7 embedded I get the following error in the script:

BFSVC: Failed to validate boot manager checksum (x:\windows\boot\PCAT\bootmgr)
Failure when attempting to copy boot files
error code:0xc1

It happens on the following instruction, which I tried to give from prompt a few times to be sure:

bcdboot.exe x:\windows /s x: /v

I got the installation to work by installing from DVD (until I got a BSOD), then running the set_7_usb_boot.cmd  script  by hand

and then bcdboot and bootsect by hand.

So my guess is that for Windows 7 embedded, something must be done after imagex, but what?

#523 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14401 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:40 PM

Maybe it is a mismatch of some kind between the bcdboot.exe version and the BOOTMGR version :unsure:

You may want to try to just replace the BOOTMGR with a "non-embedded" version or check if there is a "dedicated to embedded" version of bcdboot.exe :dubbio:

Wonko

#524 Jo1912

Jo1912
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:53 PM

Wonko the sane:

Thanks for the suggestions.

1) I have now tried with a bcdboot.exe that I got from another installation of embedded under windows\system32 but got the same 

error. I also tried with a bcdboot.exe from non-embedded installation with same result.

2) I have tried your first suggestion to copy Bootmgr from another installation. In this case I got a different BSOD message when booting: 'Windows did not find any installed, licensed language packs for the system default UI language'.  :frusty:

I have to dig into this.  :)

A detail but maybe it is important: the embedded installation DVD I use is an evaluation copy.

#525 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14401 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

I don't know. :(

It is possible that the "fast installer" way of installing is simply "not compatible" with some (subtle) differences between "standard" Windows 7 and the "embedded" version, but - loosely - the "embedded" version does not exist :w00t: (I mean, I have no experience with 7 embedded, but good ol' XP embedded was a "framework" to build an install from "components" and normally only after having spent several sleepless nights and countless attempts one could in the end obtain something that worked).

I have no reason to believe that the "philosophy" behind Windows 7 Embedded has changed. :dubbio:

https://msdn.microso...bedded.60).aspx

How exactly did you create the "source" image?

Maybe there is some "component" that is missing in it (or it is mis-configured). :unsure:

The "evaluation" version might as well have a number of added limitations, just as an example a deployed image doesn't "accept" SP1:

https://msdn.microso...bedded.60).aspx

Wonko

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users