#451 hellbraker

hellbraker

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hi Steve..

Im getting these errors when trying to install Windows Seven to my external USB Hard Drive. I got a hunch that its because Im on Windows XP.

A pop up saying detectefi.exe is no a valid win32 application

BFSCV: Failed to close the system store. Status -[c0000121]

Then a BCDBOOT error

COMMAND FAILED! BCDBOOT I : \Windows /s K : /l en-US /f BIOS /v

Volume in drive C has no label

A quick google search for the 1st error leads me to a Microsoft Hotfix. But it looks like it will only work on Vista and higher versions.

As you can see from the 2nd error. my Windows partitions is set to I and the boot partition is set to K.

Edited by hellbraker, 29 March 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#452 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7044 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

detectefi is something I added. I did not test it under XP! Try deleting the detectefi.exe file. I will see if I can fix this.. but you can ignore it as you wan't have an EFI XP system!

For bcdboot, try a different version, e.g. Win 8 version - which one did you use? 

#453 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14960 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

The installer is just a set of batch files, it should be possible to troubleshoot them easily.

It has been reported by the Author as working on 2K and later, so I doubt that the issue is the XP.

It is more likely an issue with the source or with the target.

How are you supplying the "source" Windows 7?

I mean, original DVD/mounted .iso/copied to local hard disk, etc..

Wait a minute :dubbio:, this thread s about fuijanabc's installer AND NOT about Steve6375's Tutorial, WHICH are you using? 

If fuijanabc's installer, let's continue here.

If Steve6375's Tutorial, please start a NEW thread.

Please, please, please, we have too many hijacked/inconsistent topics, let's not help the increase of entropy....

:cheers:

Wonko

#454 hellbraker

hellbraker

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:46 AM

Oops..sorry I have no clue from where detectefi appeared but  maybe I have copied some stuffs accidentally from elsewhere..Im using fuijanabc's installer ...

anyways the problem is fixed. I only had to copy BCD from the boot folder in K: to its root and BOOTMGR + BCD  to the root of the other Windows OS partition (I:).

Now Windows 7 loads flawlessly although the drive lettering has been changed to C: and D: but I guess I can live with that :)

Thanks for all your help! Cheers!

#455 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14960 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Oops..sorry I have no clue from where detectefi appeared but  maybe I have copied some stuffs accidentally from elsewhere..Im using fuijanabc's installer ...

anyways the problem is fixed. I only had to copy BCD from the boot folder in K: to its root and BOOTMGR + BCD  to the root of the other Windows OS partition (I:).

Now Windows 7 loads flawlessly although the drive lettering has been changed to C: and D: but I guess I can live with that :)

Thanks for all your help! Cheers!

Good :), but are you sure it is actually working?

I mean the C: and D: drive lettering change and the issues with the BCD (I am not sure to understand which device partition gets which letter) might mean that you are running it *somehow* in "mixed mode", using partially files on the internal disk :dubbio:

To make sure everything is fine you should try it having disabled (or disconnected) the internal disk. :unsure:

Wonko

#456 hellbraker

hellbraker

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Ireland

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Ok here is the gist:

Windows Partition I:  is renamed as C

Boot Partition K: is renamed as D

The internal Hard disk is being loaded as partition E

There is one more partition for the USB Hard Drive but which is not visible in the newly booted OS.

I forgot to mention before that after those initial errors I tried booting from the USB drive but it would say BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctr+Alt+Del to restart.

This is what prompted me to copy the BOOTMGR and BCD to the root of  I: and somehow it worked.

Mixed mode? But can it boot up like this even if there's XP installed in the internal disk? I mean, can Windows 7 (in USB disk) boot up with files from XP (in internal disk)?

#457 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14960 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

NO, it's OK :).

The doubt was if by any chance you had a Windows 7 installed on hard disk too.

The fact that a "brand new" install sees "itself" as "C:\" and "D:\" is "normal".

I am not at all familiar with 7 installs, in the good ol'days of XP you could "force" drive letters using migrate.inf:

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=19663

I presume that something similar can be done also with Vista :ph34r: or 7, but cannot provide you with a known to be working method :blush:

The BOOTMGR file needs to be in Root.

The BCD goes (or should already be, if the re is DO NOT touch it) in \boot\BCD.

Wonko

#458 jeppy

jeppy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi folks,

I found out this interesting topic so I have registered.

I have tried the mentioned tutorial and I'm stucked 'cause it doesn't reboot on usb hd.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Data :   notebook asus with OS windows vista homepremium sp2   (32bits)

Western digital 2500BEV external usb drive.

Purpose : I wish to install windows 7 ultimate x64 sp1 onto this usb HD   ( to get softwares testing  )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boot order in BIOS :  1  external ,  2  dvd   ,  3  hard drive , 4 network

Using Vista, I formatted the external drive (ntfs, default,     letter  I  ,   active , principal )

If I use Imagex.exe   Bcdboot.exe , Bootsect.exe    from  windows 7, I got error messages during the process

so I used the Vista exe needed.

BTW : I got WAIK files from http://www.rmprepusb...ls/getwaiktools

I entered the letter   I   as drive letter AND os partition.

The process took about 8min to succed and I got.

Picture9.gif

But when rebooting, I got the Vista OS as usual.

Right now, I don't know what to do. Any clue to fix it ?

Any help 'd be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by jeppy, 06 April 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#459 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14960 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

You seem like having an issue completely UNrelated to the NT6 fast installer.

From what you report (I cannot see the picture) for *whatever* reason your PC does not boot (in the sense of initiating booting) from the external USB HD, and "skips" to the internal HD.

Easy to verify, (if the BIOS supports it) disable all other Boot order entries and leave ONLY the "external" one.

Does it boot or gives an errror?

If it gives an error, this should be first troubleshot and solved as a SEPARATE issue, please start a NEW topic here:

http://reboot.pro/fo...-boot-anywhere/

posting the error and some details on the hardware involved (Asus exact model, BIOS version, etc.), generally speaking notebooks tend to be particularly picky (their BIOS actually) when it comes to USB booting, and quite a lot of them have (on the USB stack only) the 28 bit LBA limit, meaning that they simply cannot access a partition exceeding 128 Gb in size (right now yours is aroud 250 Gb, right? :unsure:).

Wonko

#460 jeppy

jeppy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the advise.

I have done what you suggest. And I got the following message while booting :

"Reboot and select proper boot drive or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I was thinking of bad boot settings when I used Vista files ( bootsec and so on )

I gonna open a new topic of course.

(I've changed the url of the image to get it displayed in my previous post)

#461 lesd

lesd
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed to this tool.  I just successfully got Win7 64-bit booting on a USB 3.0 external HDD.

I generally followed Uncle_HQ's post on page 9 of this thread (extremely helpful).

Two snags I hit that may help others:

1)  When adding the USB 3.0 drivers to the install.wim with Disb, make sure antivirus is off or it may fail.  It took me 3 hours of trial and error to figure that out.

2)  I have an Ivy-Bridge based laptop with Intel USB 3.0 controller.  For the Intel drivers, replace "nusb3hub" and "nusb3xhc" in steps 3 and 4, with "iusbhub" and "iusb3xhc".  Those are the registry entries for the Intel driver.  Everything else is the same.

Hopefully this saves someone else some time!

#462 tifa

tifa
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

Hello

i follow all steps and works perfect on w7 but i need install vista on my external hard drive (because my laptop works on xp and vista and some drivers whit compatibility dont work ;( )  i follow the same steps but when i reboot and boot from the external hdd cant make anything, no error code or blue screen just the windows loader bar and rebots , any help pls.... i need other files to make it work¿? thx in advance and sorry for my bad english :)

#463 Deawo

Deawo
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hi.

I got one question pls.

Im trying to install windows on a Toshiba external hard drive.I follow your instruction everything works fine... i open the install.wim,then when i want input the name of the disk (the letter). I input the letter and press enter but the installer closes and nothing else shows up.

What must i do?

I need help pls.

thx

greetingz dejv

#464 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7044 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Try my version of NT6_Fast_Installer from here.

If you still need help, post a screenshot of the point where it fails.

#465 Deawo

Deawo
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

I tryed your version too.

But the problem stays same :( 

Hier are pictures.... 

I come to this then it says it wants letter of hard disk.

http://www.imagebam....d34b6c252971994

Then i hit enter and this shows up and the window close automatically.

http://www.imagebam....d699a4252971998

i don't know what to do plz help :/

#466 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7044 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

what letter do you type in and what is that drive - A USB HDD or Flash or what?

#467 Deawo

Deawo
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

A usb HDD 500gb Toshiba.The hdd drive is letter  (i:)

#468 robertcollier4

robertcollier4

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

If wanting to create a multiboot environment with the installation of Win7/8, a good solution that I found works is that you can just imagex.exe apply the WIM to the target drive and then boot it via chainloading. Then bcdboot and bootsect are not necessary. And you have much more flexibility.

1. Use RMPrepUSB to apply grub4dos to your MBR.
2. Apply image with imagex /apply C:\pathtowim.wim 1 E:
2. Add the following entry to your "menu.lst" grub4dos menu file.
title Boot Win7 from Drive 0, Partition 3
root (hd0,3)
chainloader (hd0,3)/BOOTMGR
Where (hd0,3) means 1st hard drive, 4th partition (grub4dos entries are 0-based).

#469 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7044 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

A usb HDD 500gb Toshiba.The hdd drive is letter  (i:)

Try using a folder name that does not have any spaces in it for the sources folder?

#470 waxtraxx

waxtraxx
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

thx,

great work

#471 NOCHERO09

NOCHERO09
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hi, my name is Norberto. I live in Argentina and my English is terrible. Please try to understand.

I´m trying to install win7 in a SAMSUNG USB HDD.

I tried to follow all that you say but at the end of the install shows this:  error occured when loading the registry. Press any key to exit...

Where is the problem?

Thanks a lot.

#472 ckeilitz

ckeilitz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:08 AM

Hi Steve... 

I installed Win7 using the NT 6.x Fast Installer (v 2012.11.13) on a HGST Touro Mobile Pro 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive - connected to a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook (NP900X3D-A02US). It worked flawlessly, thank you!

I booted into Windows with the USB 2.0 port just fine, installed network, video, the USB 3.0 drivers, etc. However, when I try to connect the HD to the USB 3.0 port and boot, I get a BSOD STOP 0x00000007 error. I'm pretty sure the USB 3.0 drivers are working. Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller and Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub are listed in the Device Manager.

Again, can boot fine on the USB 2.0, but get a BSOD 0x00000007 when I switch the hard drive to the USB 3.0 port.

Any ideas?

#473 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7044 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

I think the drivers need to be loaded at boot time which may mean changing some registry values.

See this reboot thread

http://reboot.pro/to...-windows-7-sp1/

I have never actually tried adding USB 3 boot drivers as I have no system that can boot from a USB 3.0 port yet, maybe others in this forum can help?

#474 djamel

djamel
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Algeria

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

How to install win7 on usb external HD

#475 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7044 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

How to install win7 on usb external HD

See post #1 or here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users