#426 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14758 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I think that the problem is that it is trying to create an EFI boot system on the USB drive (E:) but as it is not a GPT disk it is failing.

That is very likely, compare with:
http://social.techne...71-e440c6107c18

it seems like MS has - as often happens - it's own ideas on EFI, and semingly the GPT disk is a requirement, check near the end of the page, post by Les52:

I did browse thru my WAIK User Guide. It does have information about UEFI systems.

AIUI, Microsoft implementation requires that EFI partitions are on GPT disks, although Wiki says "Whether a disk contains an EFI System Partition is unrelated to the partition table scheme (GUID or MBR) that it uses". http://en.wikipedia....ystem_partition

From what I've read:

• You must have GPT disk
  • There must be at least three partitions on the GPT disk
  • EFI partition (FAT or FAT32)
  • Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition (no File System)
  • Windows Partition (NTFS)
  • You must capture
  • EFI partition
  • Windows partition
  • You configure BCD store using BCDEdit command.

:cheers:
Wonko

#427 jhartweck

jhartweck
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

I was wondering. With Windows to Go feature of not assigning the local hard drive a letter, is this possible with this tutorial. Does anyone no the diskpart command to stop the letters D and E from being assigned to anything?

#428 Ashish Verma

Ashish Verma
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

HI every one,
I pass through each step but on starting I am not able to get how start the external hdd OS Please provide the details

#429 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6935 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

http://pcsupport.abo...ootusbflash.htm

#430 thomass

thomass
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

I followed all the steps and installed windows 7 to my external hard drive, and finished installing it without a problem, hower when i try to boot from the external hard drive my pc decides to boot from my internal hard drive instead, this problem happens on both my desktop and my laptop. please help!

Edited by thomass, 17 December 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#431 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6935 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Most notebooks have a hotkey at boot time which allows you to select a boot device. This is often referred to as BBS  (Bios Boot Selection). For instance, on an Asus EeePC you need to press ESC key just before it boots. On some notebooks, you may need to go into the BIOS menu and change the boot order.

#432 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14758 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Most notebooks have a hotkey at boot time which allows you to select a boot device. This is often referred to as BBS  (Bios Boot Selection). For instance, on an Asus EeePC you need to press ESC key just before it boots. On some notebooks, you may need to go into the BIOS menu and change the boot order.

I would add that the two procedures (pressing while booting the Hot key vs. accessing the BIOS and changing BIOS boot order) may - on some machines - have different results when it comes to "order" of hard disks (which nay have consequences in the success of booting from the external device).

I have read at least a couple reports of people that had issues in booting with one or the other action.

So, trying both is advised.

:cheers:

Wonko

#433 ravensachel

ravensachel
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hey steve6375.
In a much earlier post you mentioned that the original script should have asked for the USB drive letter as...

"because the script runs BCDBOOT on this drive. So DON'T enter C for this or it will run BCDBOOT on your current C: drive!"

So...
What if you did run this with C.... I now cannot boot my PC at all unless booting from the new USB install,of Win 7

Thank you for any help...

#434 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6935 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

What was on your PC hard disk before? XP, Vista,Win7, Ubuntu, OSX? Was it multiboot or just a single OS? What bootloader did it have?

#435 ravensachel

ravensachel
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

What was on your PC hard disk before? XP, Vista,Win7, Ubuntu, OSX? Was it multiboot or just a single OS? What bootloader did it have?

My internal he was Win7 Enterprise and only a single boot. The main drive did have a partition, so normally there was a C & D drive. I believe the D drive was just for virus software.

#436 ravensachel

ravensachel
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

My internal HD was Win7 Enterprise and only a single boot. The main drive did have a partition, so normally there was a C & D drive. I believe the D drive was just for virus.
Also I installed Win 7 Enterprise on the external USB drive...I just didn't catch that part about the drive letter for ext USB. So in my case I should have chose E for operating and E for boot, not C

#437 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6935 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

You can boot to win 7 from the external drive and download EasyBCD, use it to load the \boot\bcd from your main internal C: drive and set it to boot from that drive, or use the bcdboot command and point it at the internal hdd 

bcdboot z:\windows /s z: /v

where z: is the drive letter of the internal hard disk.

This is at your own risk however!

#438 ravensachel

ravensachel
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

You can boot to win 7 from the external drive and download EasyBCD, use it to load the \boot\bcd from your main internal C: drive and set it to boot from that drive, or use the bcdboot command and point it at the internal hdd 

bcdboot z:\windows /s z: /v

where z: is the drive letter of the internal hard disk.

This is at your own risk however!

Hey steve6375,

Thanks for your recomendations.  Just FYI.  The bcdboot command did NOT work.  Gave some errors about not being able to complete the task.

But... i downloaded EasyBCD and man... that was easy... just had to change the Windows Boot Loader from E: to C:.  restarted my PC and I am back online with my Host PC. 

I'll try all further experiments with my personal laptop...instead of my work laptop...whoops... that was a scare.

#439 kylerwinters

kylerwinters
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

I need help. I did this tut on this software. It finished sucsefuly but when I try to boot into it, the bios skips over it. I think I need some extra boot software on my external drive?

#440 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6935 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I need help. I did this tut on this software. It finished sucsefuly but when I try to boot into it, the bios skips over it. I think I need some extra boot software on my external drive?

Can you boot it in QEMU  (e.g. Run RMPrepUSB and select drive and then hit F11?

If so then you just need to change BIOS settings.

Switch of computer - connect USB drive - switch on computer - go into BIOS - setup first boot device as the USB drive (or use BBS  Bios Boot Selection key).

#441 kylerwinters

kylerwinters
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Could I get a link. Sorry I'm a noob with this topic.

#442 kylerwinters

kylerwinters
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

When I boot to usb it hangs for awhile then it moves on to my c drive. The windows on my hard drive doesn't boot.

#443 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6935 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Sounds like you may have partly installed it to your internal hard disk! :-(

Can you boot from a DVD or WinPE on USB and try to fix it?

#444 Alissa Kitty Craig

Alissa Kitty Craig
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hi i have got all this working on my main laptop and it all runs fine then when i move it to my laptop with a dead hdd and boot up it all works fine until i need to install updates then when rebooting it goes into system repair and i have no choice but to format it again but when updating on the main laptop it works fine??

#445 Kurotetsu

Kurotetsu
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Indonesia

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Greeting,

Need help here...i've installed win7 to a USB HDD with a win7 laptop and it works smoothly...But when i'm trying to boot this USB HDD from another PC with XP SP1 OS, i have message "NTLDR is missing"...not compatible? or I did something wrong?

Thanks,

Kurotetsu

#446 harris2584

harris2584
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hello,

i found this forum really useful and i want to thank everyone for all his help.

I used the guide to install  windows 7 to an external HDD (80Gb). I used an hp laptop (the internal drive of the laptop has windows 7 ultimate edition) 

to install the windows 7 home premium edition to the usb drive in order to use it to a toshiba satellite A200 laptop that has no internal hard disk.

I connect the hdd to the laptop and i choose from the bios to boot from the external drive (i see the western digital external drive in the bios) but it won't load windows 7.

I want to make clear that i have followed the procedure for disconecting the usb drive to use it in another computer (sysprep.exe, but i did it through windows not cmd because it wouldn't do it. I found the sysprep.exe in System32 folder, run it as administrator, checked the generalize box, and the option to terminate).

Do you have any idea why the laptop won't load windows 7 from the usb hdd? Have i missed any steps from the procedure?

Thank you for all your help. 

#447 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6935 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Please describe what happens when you try to boot from the A200. 'Won't load Windows' is like saying 'my car won't go'!

Describe what keys you press (if any) and what text is on the screen as it boots.

P.S. Some things to try

1. Re-make the USB drive - remove the internal HDD from the HP and try to boot the USB drive on the HP.

2. A ) If successful - sysprep - generalize it and try it on the A200.
    B ) If not successful then maybe Win 7 needs to 'see' an internal HDD?

3. If 2A not successful - try a fresh install again but do not boot it on the HP - just connect it to the A200 and boot it.

#448 Bobby Phillips

Bobby Phillips
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

I have the WAIK files from windows and windows 7.  What are the complete steps to put Win 7 on my external hard drive

#449 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6935 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

I have the WAIK files from windows and windows 7.  What are the complete steps to put Win 7 on my external hard drive

See post #1 or Tutorial 47 on my site.

#450 lzap

lzap
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hello,

to let others know - the installer does NOT work on non-English Windows. You have to either set locale to English, or you need to comment out the "Verify the free size of the partition" section (you can live without that if you have enough space on the destination).

Nice tool, thanks.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users