#1 Swamp Dawg

Swamp Dawg
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:46 AM

Hi,

I am fairly new to using Winbuilder and trying to create a basic VistaPE image. I am running into a few problems when I try to build the image and the iso is never created. If I post the log file, is there someone that can give it a quick look and let me know where I am flubbing up?

Thanx,

Jim

#2 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:36 AM

Hi,

I am fairly new to using Winbuilder and trying to create a basic VistaPE image. I am running into a few problems when I try to build the image and the iso is never created. If I post the log file, is there someone that can give it a quick look and let me know where I am flubbing up?

Thanx,

Jim

I can have a quick look. The degree of help may depend on the version of VistaPE - there's a few around. Try to run a small or minimal build (provided it also causes errors), and attch the log as log.html (.html seems to be accepted by the web-board, .htm may not) to save us having to download and unzip it.

#3 Swamp Dawg

Swamp Dawg
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:45 AM

Thanx Allan, I will get it together and post it.

Jim

#4 Swamp Dawg

Swamp Dawg
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:52 AM

Allan,

Here is the log file from my last failed build. Also, I am using Winbuilder 078 SP 4 and VistaPE Capi v.12(RC1b common API). I am using WAIK as source. Thank you again for your help.

Jim

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.html   894.17KB   818 downloads

#5 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:36 AM

Here is the log file from my last failed build. Also, I am using Winbuilder 078 SP 4 and VistaPE Capi v.12(RC1b common API). I am using WAIK as source. Thank you again for your help.

Damn! CAPI is notorious for being difficult to debug - variables and .ini keys seem to go round and round chasing their tales, needlessly changing names and values until the whole thing is indecipherable... IMHO! Despite it's complexities, it has very little to offer by way of error-checking.

Initially, it would appear that 'C:\Program Files\Windows AIK' cannot be used as the source for your build. This would likely cause the main halt error because the WAIK is unable to provide the files required to use explorer in VistaPE. Perhaps it would work better without selecting Windows Explorer if that's possible.

#6 Swamp Dawg

Swamp Dawg
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:50 AM

Allan,

Thank you for the help. What version of VistaPE would you suggest using? I don't really need to have the the newest and the best, I just need to be able to make some rescue/repair disks. I will take a look at AIK again and see if I can figure it out in the meantime.

Thanx,

Jim

#7 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:54 AM

Allan,

Thank you for the help. What version of VistaPE would you suggest using? I don't really need to have the the newest and the best, I just need to be able to make some rescue/repair disks. I will take a look at AIK again and see if I can figure it out in the meantime.

Thanx,

Jim

VistaPE was originally designed to be built using the Vista Install DVD as the source. The DVD's boot.wim provided the main Windows PE files, and the DVD's install.wim provided additional OS files for features like Windows Explorer. These additional features cannot be used without access to a Vista Install DVD.

I believe that later it became possible to build VistaPE by using the WAIK alone. The Windows PE backbone was built from the WAIK's winpe.wim which is a purer version of the Install DVD's boot.wim. However, the additional files required for the advanced features like Windows Explorer are not available from the WAIK's winpe.wim either. The DVD is always required for those additional features.

Development of the original VistaPE by NightMan (whose birthday it is today) ceased, and it was pretty much put permanently to bed when the development of the scripting engine, winbuilder.exe, was placed in the hands of psc who never liked Vista or VistaPE. Some packages which include older winbuilder.exe files are available here, but these original VistaPEs had quirks and foibles too, and support for them has almost dried up.

A few forks (although, I haven't heard that expression used around here) of VistaPE sprang up, including VistaPE-CAPI, and VistaPE Leopard. Somewhere there is a VistaPE v.12, and VistaPE RC1a must also fit in. Win7PE came on the scene and was almost identical to an original VistaPE (v10 I think), except for a change in the name of the author and a few filenames. However it has now evolved into something slightly more original.

The original VistaPE was much easier to debug, especially when the original author was around. He built the whole thing from the ground up - with assistance from others - and knew it's in-and-outs pretty well. And it wasn't encumbered by an externally-developed API.

In order that individual Program Scripts could be shared between projects - prominently VistaPE and LiveXP, it was decided to develop a common API that could interpret all the different Program Scripts regardless of the actual Project running them. pedrole15 took on the task. This had been a long-time goal of Nuno.

Unfortunately, by the time the decision was taken, each project (and some program scripts within each project) had developed different syntaxes for doing the same thing, and the API needed to take into account the various different usages. That's why there are might be a number of different variables pointing to the same thing (for example, the system32 folder in the Target Directory has a number of disguises), or different commands that essentially do the same thing (the variety of different shortcut-creation commands were a constant source of confusion).

A big challenge was the need to address the most fundamental difference between LiveXP and VistaPE - that is, the source files for LiveXP came principally from expanding files in an i386 folder whereas the source files for VistaPE came directly from one of two directories that were mounted by imagex or the like. An API command like "RequireFile" had to take into account the two very different types of sources.

Finally, VistaPE's backbone of Windows PE 2.x was designed to be run from RAM and virtually all VistaPE Program Scripts had the option to "Run from RAM"; whereas LiveXP required special files and special programming to be run from RAM and the option was not so common in the individual Program Scripts.

At the root of every API Command can be found what I call "native" winbuilder commands. For example, the API command "unpack"... doesn't look like much. In the background, it calls the "native" ExtractFile command to extract a file that is attached to (embedded in) a script. But the API command can, and probably does, do a lot more. It may check the file extension of the extracted file to see if it's an archive (.zip, .7z, etc), looks for a tool to unzip it, tries to figure out where to extract the file making sure that it matches up with the created shortcut, and who knows what else it might do. All this takes up a lot of space in the log, and can get very messy - but it probably works (either that, or it doesn't)! The "native" ExtractFile command would provide one or two lines in the log, and it would be relatively easy to spot an error, but it would require the Program Script's author to specify the details and perhaps write extra lines if, for instance, the attached file was an archive.

I developed my own project - pe21.003 - which was originally designed to be built from the WAIK only - before VistaPE had that capability. At that time I was a bit put off by the confusion surrounding the API, and the difficulties of debugging with it, so my project only used "native" winbuilder commands. ATM, it's 90% complete... I just need some time to finish off the remaining 90%! So, I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't know what to recommend. Probably stick with VistaPE-CAPI.

Regards :)

#8 Swamp Dawg

Swamp Dawg
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:15 AM

Very good information. I tried running the build again without the explorer script and it ran like a peach. haven't had a chance to boot from it yet so i don't know what it looks like. I guess I need to get my hands on a Vista DVD image. Thank you for the info.

Jim

#9 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hi Swamp Dawg,

To have a quick & easy VistaPE rescue dvd, I advice VistaPE-CAPI.

Current VistaPE-Capi project admin, JonF asked on a topic about the default settings of the project and decision made to make the default settings for vista cd.

As a result if a user wants to use waik as souce, s(h)e should check the default selected scripts interface and description for the lines "needs VistaDVD" or "requires VistaDVD" etc.

Anyway, I made a list here post 90 on VistaPE-Capi topic which I hope you can easly follow.

Reminding, you can make tests with virtualbox :)

:)

#10 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

All of the scripts that come with VistaPE-CAPI and can't work with the WAIK as source should detect the problem and throw an error. The Explorer script didn't; I just fixed that. I'll look at the others soon.

#11 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

A few forks (although, I haven't heard that expression used around here) of VistaPE sprang up, including VistaPE-CAPI, and VistaPE Leopard. Somewhere there is a VistaPE v.12, and VistaPE RC1a must also fit in. Win7PE came on the scene and was almost identical to an original VistaPE (v10 I think), except for a change in the name of the author and a few filenames. However it has now evolved into something slightly more original.

Good summary. There is a VistaPE v12 RC1 on NightMan's site, he never officially released it. RC1a was a stepping-stone from RC1 to CAPI and is no longer available.

#12 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

All of the scripts that come with VistaPE-CAPI and can't work with the WAIK as source should detect the problem and throw an error. The Explorer script didn't; I just fixed that.

Very good method, I use same method too (for another task) :)

I'll look at the others soon.

only 2 small things for your list:
*precaution for checkboxes of
"Base\Additional files and drivers"

*Only cosmetic addings for warnings :)
+"Volume Shadow Service (VSS)" --> "Volume Shadow Service (VSS) (needs VistaDVD)"
+"Support for running cpl files" --> description=needs VistaDVD

:)

And,

Thank you again very much JonF for VistaPE-CAPI and ALL things you've done so far for the coordination :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users