cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Questions:

1. What does "SDI" stand for?

2. What is the minimum ram size requirement for the computer to boot SDI given the iso size is about 200MB?

3. Are there any guide for setting options in the Boot SDI script?

Thanks

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

1. SDI is a disk image format used in windows XP embedded and NOT used in BootSDI, see here:
http://www.boot-land.../?showtopic=558
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=1041
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4116
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2220

2. Size of the image+amount of RAM needed to run the OS inside the image

jaclaz

#3 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

jaclaz,

Thank you for the links.

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:09 AM

jaclaz,

Thank you for the links.

1) system deployment image (SDI) more info here

2) You'd be safe on any machine with 512MB RAM or more. You might get away with less, like 384, 256 no way.

3) Not that I know of but if you have specific questions I can try to answer them :thumbsup:

#5 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:01 AM

3) Not that I know of but if you have specific questions I can try to answer them :thumbsup:

Questions:

1. Is it correct to say that for the purpose of creating LiveXP, "Boot SDI" is just a fancy term for creating a boot CD (or flash drive) with everything runing in ram after boot?

2. On the Boot SDI script window, there are six sections; each enclosed in a rectangular box. There are options in each section that have to be set.

- "Image" Section - How to select "fixed", "% of Target", "Free Space", what are the implications of my selection?

- "HDD & USB Disk" section - Are the settings here dictated by what I am going to use (ie HDD or flash drive)? How should I set them for a usb flash drive?

- "Include" & "Advanced" sections - What are they for?

- "ISO" section - The default ".iso label" is "NativeEXCD", why the iso created in my project is "LiveXP_RAM.iso" not "NativeEXCD.iso"?

Thanks

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

1. Is it correct to say that for the purpose of creating LiveXP, "Boot SDI" is just a fancy term for creating a boot CD (or flash drive) with everything runing in ram after boot?

You are right. I remember when BootSDI.Script has been pulished that somebody put the same question.
But it is responsibility of the author to give a name to his child.

- "Image" Section - How to select "fixed", "% of Target", "Free Space", what are the implications of my selection?

• Fixed will give the RAM image the size you choose here. No check whether it is too small
  • % of Target: The script retreives the complete %TargetDir% size and calculates the image size using the percentage.
    85 or 90 % will be ok in most cases.
  • The script makes two passes:
  • Build an image and retrieves it's size
  • Build the final image of size = <retrieved size> + <Free Space>

- "HDD & USB Disk" section - Are the settings here dictated by what I am going to use (ie HDD or flash drive)? How should I set them for a usb flash drive?
- "Include" - What are they for?

Sorry, I never used it. Maybe Nikzzzz gives a small explanation

- "Advanced" sections - What are they for?

The Script uses a special program zcopy by nikzzzz to copy the files into the image. This zcopy compresses and optimizes. Maybe for a better result it is better to unUPX all files (Compressing a compressed file with a different algorithm sometimes can enlarge the size)

- "ISO" section - The default ".iso label" is "NativeEXCD", why the iso created in my project is "LiveXP_RAM.iso" not "NativeEXCD.iso"?

I have no idea for that.
The script command to build the ISO is

ShellExecute,Open,#$q%Tools%\mkisofs.exe#$q,"-iso-level 4#$s-force-uppercase -volid #$q%pTextBox2%#$q -b bootsect.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide bootsect.bin -hide boot.catalog#$s-duplicates-once -o #$q%IsoDir%\%RamISORootName%.iso#$q #$q%RAMFolder%#$q"

and %pTextBox2% is NativeExCD.

Peter

#7 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

Peter,

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry I am still as foggy as before.

Can you tell me the logical reasoning of why & how would one choose a value for "% of Target" as the ram size? Is there a consideration for the size of the hdd of the pc that is to be tested? Or is there a consideration of optimzations for speed and wide compatibility?

I wish the author of the script can explain to us the usage of all the options in the script.

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

Can you tell me the logical reasoning of why & how would one choose a value for "% of Target" as the ram size? Is there a consideration for the size of the hdd of the pc that is to tested? Or is there a consideration of optimzations for speed and wide compatibility?

I wish the author of the script can explain to us the usage of all the options in the script.

The original author is nikzzzz.
But some changes have been made, e.g. by me.

And I'm the author of the three different 'size' options.

I currently do not exactly remember the reason of making the "% of target".
But I'm sure that it depends on the (senceful?) demand on members to have the ISO as small as possible.
Same with 'free space'

My personal opinion:
To use the 'Fixed' option only would be enough to create a usable boot CD. If the 'fixed' size is too small, you have to adapt it for your needs.

But there is the 'User Friendly' issue ...
And that means: Let the user do what he wants, even creazy ideas. The app has to be so smart that it can accept every crazy idea.

Sample:
A lot of work has been made in 'tweak the wallpaper', inspite a wallpaper does not help anything to run the PE better, just the opposite: It slows down, at least by using some time to install.

I do not agree this technical senceless features, but as developer I have to accept and to follow.

Peter

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

The term label usually refers to the name of the 'drive' in this case the CD included in the iso, not the name of the iso itself.

:thumbsup:

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

Can you tell me the logical reasoning of why & how would one choose a value for "% of Target" as the ram size?

To use fixed, one has to know how big the image will become. With % one does not have to care, the program will figure the right settings out.

#11 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

The term label usually refers to the name of the 'drive' in this case the CD included in the iso, not the name of the iso itself.

Your are right, I check the name of the CD it is NativeEXCD as you said. :thumbsup:

To use fixed, one has to know how big the image will become. With % one does not have to care, the program will figure the right settings out.

Thanks for the clarification. I usually leave it at default 100%.

What is the advantage of choosing less than 100%; say 80%? How could we have everything runing in ram, if ram size is smaller than image size? Unless things are compressed and decompressed on the fly; if that is the case wouldn't it run slower?

#12 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:41 AM

You are right. I remember when BootSDI.Script has been pulished that somebody put the same question.

Guess who? :thumbsup:

Yep, besides being the single most probable winner of the 2007 "Most improperly named .script of the year" contest, I know that BootSDI.script does not use SDI images at all. :tabletalk:

http://www.boot-land...opic=1580&st=61

jaclaz

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

What is the advantage of choosing less than 100%; say 80%?

No idea. Shouldn't work, imo, but never tried.

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

No idea. Shouldn't work, imo, but never tried.

Yes, it works!

As explained above, the percentage is related to the size of the original %TargetDir%.

And because zcopy (do not ask me how!) compresses, it is possible that the destination of the copy (the later ram image) is smaller than the original.

As also explained above, 85 or 90 % seem ok and work.

Peter

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

Yes, it works!

As explained above, the percentage is related to the size of the original %TargetDir%.

And because zcopy (do not ask me how!) compresses, it is possible that the destination of the copy (the later ram image) is smaller than the original.

As also explained above, 85 or 90 % seem ok and work.

I see, 100% is not really 100% but more like 120%. :thumbsup: Thanks for the info!
Could it be a case of NTFS compression?

:tabletalk:

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

I see, 100% is not really 100% but more like 120%. :thumbsup: Thanks for the info!
Could it be a case of NTFS compression?

:tabletalk:

Because I do not know the internals of zcopy, I'm not sure:
I think that it is independent and ntfs compression does something more.

Peter

#17 fly

fly

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

Wow. Boy did I just get owned by this script. It just rendered my test box unbootable. Apparently, instead of formatting the USB drive, it killed my main drive. Be careful with this poorly worded script guys!

I really just want to be able to boot this thing from a thumb drive as easy as I can BartPE. I'm shocked at how hard this all is in Winbuilder...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users