booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

Hi VistaPE users,

today I want to present my experiences regarding a very annoying bug which took me a long time to find out the causing reason:

Some WinBuilder installations I have tested did produce an VistaPE that was unable to boot completely. It always stopped at a black screen (see scrennshot of VistaPE in VMWare) booting right before the VistaPE loader usually starts.
VistaPE_blackScreen.png

I made a lot of tests with that WinBuilder installation (copy-ed it to another pc, disabled scripts ...) until I realized that the problem was caused by the NTFS permissions I had set on the directory WinBuilder was installed into (only one user account and SYSTEM had full access).

After adding "Everybody" with full access the VistaPE version cerated by WinBuilder worked as expected - without it stopped with the black screen. Therefore if anybody faces the same problem he/she should be now able to fix this problem with my above explanation in no time.

Hope this bug and fix description helps other to save their time :loleverybody:

booty#1

#2 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  • Interests:To be or not to be that is the question.
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

Is iso file (VistaPE project on the cd) working on real system, Isn't it only working on the VmPlayer :loleverybody:

Did you set the wim filter driver ?

#3 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

Is iso file (VistaPE project on the cd) working on real system, Isn't it only working on the VmPlayer :loleverybody:

The created ISO did neither work in VMWare nor on a real system - it was completely "unbootable".

booty#1

#4 houseosound

houseosound
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:44 AM

I'm having the same problem of "black screen & cursor' and no gui in both emulated and CD booted, yet the folder in vista has full permissions. I'm thinking XP live is the way to go.

#5 Guest_shiggidy__*

Guest_shiggidy__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

I cam across the same issue and found the solution but i cant explain it, if the first run folder (i am using vmware for the installation) is called winbuilder, and is on the desktop, ill get the black boot screen, if you first run from some sub directory you have no problems, why? i have no clue, but i was able to reproduce it. BTW if you move the folder after your first run, it wont help the first run must be from a subdirectory and not the desktop.

#6 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:09 AM

I cam across the same issue and found the solution but i cant explain it, if the first run folder (i am using vmware for the installation) is called winbuilder, and is on the desktop, ill get the black boot screen, if you first run from some sub directory you have no problems, why?

That is because your desktop belongs to your personal files and those files are only accessible by your account (and of course the administrators). If you build VistaPE the permissions will be included into boot.wim. If you try to boot from such a VistaPE a permission denied occurs in the background and VistaPE is unable to finish booting. That is what I think is the explanation behind this problem.

booty#1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users