alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:27 AM

POPULAR

In this case I used my Win10XPE_x64.iso (builded using as source Win10 18.362.19h1)

My Win10XPE_x64.iso size is 811 MB and boot.wim size is 771 MB

From Post No. 7

Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) is a minimal operating system where you can prepare a PC for installation, deployment, and servicing of Windows. Here's how to download and install it to an internal or external hard drive.

These instructions show how to set up a basic Windows PE installation that runs from the drive. This can sometimes give you better performance than booting from memory, and can help you run Windows PE on PCs or virtual environments with low memory. This procedure is also known as a non-RAMDISK boot, or a flat boot.

Note   When Windows PE is running from the drive, you must turn off the PC before disconnecting the drive to avoid losing your work.

Anyway it is not a good idea to think in use a WinPE environment for everyday use, as it is not legal, and can be prosecuted by the law.

NOTE-1: this procedure may apply to any WinPE. See on Post No. 9 a 7x64 WinPE Compact LZX mode installed on VHD.

Requirements:

Your Win10XPE_x64.iso, (having all programs booting from Ram) to create it see: https://github.com/ChrisRfr/Win10XPE

Procedure to install Win10XPE_x64 Flat and/or Compact LZX Mode on VHD:

1.- Create a fixed or expandable VHD of 3GB or bigger to hold following used sizes, on the root of a partition on your internal HD or USB device (in case of USB device, previously formated with USB_Format_Tool from wimb):

• Non Compacted Flat install used size of my VHD is: 2.19 GB
  • Compact LZX Flat install used size of my VHD is: 1 GB

2.- VHD has to contain only a single NTFS primary active partition, Inicialized as MBR, MBR has to be 6.x and it is good (but not a requirement) to have BOOTMGR Partition Boot Record, you can verify/modify this with BootIce.

3.- Mount your Win10XPE_x64.iso or use 7-zip to extract boot.wim file from the sources folder.

4.- By means of wimlib-imagex (from Eric Biggers) or wimlib-clc (GUI by Retokener) make a normal install of the boot.wim to the mounted VHD.

EDIT: Also it is possible to install Win10XPE_x64 directly on a Compact mode VHD, using wimlib-clc and the boot.wim file, only required is edit the Wimboot attribute (Flag) of the image. As it already contains its own version of WimBootCompress.ini but we need to apply the Wimboot Flag to the boot.wim first, see post No. 3

5.- Mount again your Win10XPE_x64.iso or use 7-zip to extract to the root of the VHD:

• boot and efi folders, but not the folder sources.
  • and also extract BOOTMGR, bootmgr.efi and bootmgr.exe files but DO NOT extact CDUsb.y XPEStartup.cmd and XPEStartup.ini

6.- Edit or create a new VHD entry in both BCDs located on boot partition of your HD or USB device in accordance with attached pictures External BCD.png and External BCD-2.png, look carefully this is very important:

• Edit on the Boot\BCD the bootfile to point to: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe for MBR/CSM booting.
  • Edit on the EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD the bootfile to point to: \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi for UEFI booting.

7.- Reboot and select the new booting option created to test the booting process and the VHD creation.

8.- If all went fine, reboot to your current OS or a WinPE, mount the new VHD and capture it by means of wimlib-imagex or wimlib-clc using Wimboot mode as on attached Wimboot mode Capture.png

9.- Create a new VHD or mount the one created before and format it to make a Compact LZX install on the VHD.

NOTE-2: Same procedure apply also to create a Wimboot mode install. But since the boot.wim boots directly on Ram, this is not a better alternative.

NOTE-3: Win10XPE should run fine with its internal WimbootCompress.ini, but our current modded WimbootCompress.ini (same used on VHD_WIMBOOT by wimb) is required on 7 and 8.x WinPEs, in this case they need to also have wofadk.sys installed, to do this see Post No.10

EDIT-1: Confirmed Win10XPE_x64 runs fine with its internal WimbootCompress.ini, no modded version required, see post No. 3 and 5

NOTE-4: Thanks to our fellow wimb, that was able to code all the procedures mentioned in this topic into his programs, now this long and tedious manual process can be made automatically, using his new programs mentioned on following EDIT-2 and EDIT-3.

EDIT-2: VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-61 and SVBus_INST_Trusted-20 programs by wimb are now available for easy Install of Win10XPE_x64 Flat in VHD, see this post.

EDIT-3: See this post for VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-62, and this post for my procedure and tests creating a flat Win10XPE_x64, installed on Wimboot mode on a VHD, (and also optionally externally compressed as *.lz4 and/or *.gz for big space saving and faster loading in Ram), capable to Ramboot from a 2 GB Ram PC.

alacran

Attached Files

Edited by alacran, 23 October 2021 - 04:36 AM.

• gbrao, doberman, relynx and 1 other like this

#2 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:35 AM

Additional pictures

alacran

Attached Files

#3 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:28 AM

Also it is possible to install Win10XPE_x64 directly on a Compact mode VHD, using wimlib-clc and the boot.wim file, only required is edit the Wimboot attribute (Flag) of the image. As it already contains its own version of WimBootCompress.ini

To do this we can use wimlib_Property_Switch by Retokener, just download it and put it on same folder of wimlib-clc, and run it, attached image of settings when adding wimboot attribute (Flag), and then install it.

For more info about wimlib_Property_Switch, see: http://reboot.pro/to...property_switch

Of course it is necessary to also do this: (from first post)

5.- Mount again your Win10XPE_x64.iso or use 7-zip to extract to the root of the VHD:

• boot and efi folders, but not the folder sources.
  • and also extract BOOTMGR, bootmgr.efi and bootmgr.exe files but DO NOT extact CDUsb.y XPEStartup.cmd and XPEStartup.ini

6.- Edit or create a new VHD entry in both BCDs located on boot partition of your HD or USB device in accordance with attached pictures External BCD.png and External BCD-2.png, look carefully this is very important:

• Edit on the Boot\BCD the bootfile to point to: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe for MBR/CSM booting.
  • Edit on the EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD the bootfile to point to: \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi for UEFI booting.

7.- Reboot and select the new booting option created to test the booting process and the VHD creation.

alacran

Attached Files

#4 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:33 AM

Thanks for making this topic about 

Procedure to install Win10XPE_x64 Flat and/or Compact LZX Mode on VHD

very useful to have this info combined with the ScreenShots  :)

• alacran likes this

#5 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:46 AM

Also it is possible to install Win10XPE_x64 directly on a Compact mode VHD, using wimlib-clc and the boot.wim file, only required is edit the Wimboot attribute of the image. As it already contains its own version of WimBootCompress.ini

alacran

It also boots fine this way, using its own version of WimBootCompress.ini, as I have already tested, VHD used size is a little smaller, now it is 948 MB

And JFYI wimlib gives a message about some files only compacted as 4K for compatibility, something already mentioned here: http://reboot.pro/to...e-3#entry216201

alacran

Attached Files

#6 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:59 AM

well, supposing I am able to replicate all this to the full, will I be able to install vc++ and directx and everything else on it as if it were an ordinary vhd from install.wim or install.esd, or will I have the usual boot.wim restrictions?

#7 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:54 AM

Wait a moment my friend, this is still a WinPE but flat installed (which basically means not Rambootable), the WinPE environment is mainly used for install and repair jobs only, not for everyday use. A WinPE flat installed is generally useful on low Ram machines as it is not necessary to load it on Ram to boot from it.

Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) is a minimal operating system where you can prepare a PC for installation, deployment, and servicing of Windows. Here's how to download and install it to an internal or external hard drive.

These instructions show how to set up a basic Windows PE installation that runs from the drive. This can sometimes give you better performance than booting from memory, and can help you run Windows PE on PCs or virtual environments with low memory. This procedure is also known as a non-RAMDISK boot, or a flat boot.

Note   When Windows PE is running from the drive, you must turn off the PC before disconnecting the drive to avoid losing your work.

Anyway it is not a good idea to think in use a WinPE environment for everyday use, as it is not legal, and can be prosecuted by the law.

So I think you better continue using Wimboot mode install.

alacran

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:08 PM

Well, not really-really:

#1 It is not actually illegal, at the very most you might be infringing a - very likely totally invalid or not applicable - license, see:

http://reboot.pro/to...s-not-permited/
#2 the Law (in case) will need a lot of evidence to prove it was used for everyday use[1], and of course there is no actual Law about that

Usual layman' example, when you buy a car battery it comes - say - with a label saying "You may not use this battery outside a vehicle or to electrocute or torture any living being".of course there is no Law about using the battery outside a vehicle, but there may be quite a few prohibiting electrocution/torture of living beings.

Original MS PE's do usually have a "time-bomb" that makes them reboot after 24 or 72 hours (depending on the PE version) but apart from Server use, data recovery (that can actually well exceed the said time), media streamers/NAS and similar a normal desktop or laptop rarely is on for more that 8-10 hours in a row.

:duff:

Wonko

[1] the PE is by definition "volatile", at every boot it starts anew.

#9 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:04 PM

Just for testing I made a Compact LZX install from 7pe_amd64_E.iso to a 1 GB VHD, used size is 577 MB, all working fine.

I used the modded WimBootCompress.ini mentioned and attached on first post.

As we already know win7 is only capable to boot as MBR, and not UEFI boot capable only edited on Boot\BCD the bootfile pointing to: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe for MBR/CSM booting.

NOTE: On my 7pe_amd64_E.iso wofadk,sys and diskmod were previously installed some time ago, but it didn't have Windows\System32\WimbootCompress.ini, to make things easier I used wimlib-clc (Update Tab) and just copied it to the System32 folder and updated the boot.wim file, then this way it was possible to directly install on Compact LZX mode to the VHD.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#10 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:01 PM

For your convenience here are the procedures to add wofadk.sys and diskmod filter driver to your old 7 and 8.x based WinPEs.

To install wofadk.sys see: http://reboot.pro/to...-12#entry213603

To install diskmod filter driver, see: http://reboot.pro/to...-sd-or-microsd/

alacran

• wimb likes this

#11 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:39 AM

@alacran

Thanks so  much.

Followed your instructions and I now have a Win10 PE on a VHD.

I only wanted a flat vhd, no wimboot etc.

Did 1 to 6. Skipped 5. I only use a MBR system so only did step a of 6.

Applied the wim with wimlib using LZX compression.

So now I have a 1 GB vhd with about 250MB free. x86 btw.

I'm assuming since this is a "PE" it will boot anywhere (i.e. universal).

It's difficult to boot to a ISO from bootmgr so it will be very useful. For maintainance purposes.

• alacran likes this

#12 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:43 AM

Wait a moment my friend, this is still a WinPE but flat installed (which basically means not Rambootable), the WinPE environment is mainly used for install and repair jobs only, not for everyday use. A WinPE flat installed is generally useful on low Ram machines as it is not necessary to load it on Ram to boot from it.

Flat Install of WinPE in VHD is an interesting study and useful to boot WinPE on Low RAM machines.

But is there any advantage as compared to booting Win10x64 Compact LZX in VHD as FILEDISK ?

The latter has build-in Printer Support and Allows to Install any Windows Program and is more Universal in driver Support (Bluetooth)

It is more complete and also boots on Low RAM machines and is Universal for booting from USB Portable SSD on any machine ....

• antonino61 likes this

#13 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:05 PM

that is exactly my point as well, especially if u boot from ram, u have access even to the vhd that the system booted in ram from.

#14 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:14 PM

Flat Install of WinPE in VHD is an interesting study and useful to boot WinPE on Low RAM machines.

But is there any advantage as compared to booting Win10x64 Compact LZX in VHD as FILEDISK ?

The latter has build-in Printer Support and Allows to Install any Windows Program and is more Universal in driver Support (Bluetooth)

It is more complete and also boots on Low RAM machines and is Universal for booting from USB Portable SSD on any machine ....

I have to tell you this is the first time I made Flat and/or Compact LZX Installations from an already made WinPE to a VHD,  I started experimenting with this just for the challenge, but at the end it proved to be very easy to solve the issues found.

I haven't had time to make a deep comparative but this is what comes to my mind at the moment.

Comparative with all filedisk bootable VHDs we were making so far:

NOTE: Wimboot VHDS included in comparative, since they can filedisk boot too. When talking of used size we need to remember the Wimboot installs are the VHD + the Source.wim file.

Advantages:

• Assuming the user already has a WinPE, it is easier and faster to make the VHD. Just a single installation required.
  • The final VHD used size is the smallest we can get (depending only of included programs).
  • No more  *.evtx files written to %WinDir%\System32\\winevt\Logs
  • You don't have to worry about Windows Update.
  • Basically almost all running services are the minimum required.
  • Basically almost all Telemetry is not present.
  • The used size will not grow up as much as on any other case, but there are still some files written to Windows/Temp folder and recycle bin. Easy to delete/remove automatically with my attached batch file.
  • Minimum Ram requirements.

Disadvantages:

No Printer or Bluetooth support   >>> When have you needed this in a WinPE environment?

Comparative with a standard WinPE.iso and/or WinPE.wim file :

Advantages:

• Grub4dos is not required to boot from a *.iso file same as booting from a WinPE.wim file.
  • Less Ram requirements since we are filedisk booting.
  • You can add new files/folders to the VHD, and Compress them with WOF_Compress if you want.
  • Then no need to create SFX files of your portables to save space.
  • The VHD can be defragmented if you want.
  • You can create new permanent Direct Access links to new files/folders.
  • You can add some additional *.dll (dependencies) files if required to run certain portables.
  • You don't need to rebuild the WinPE to include all your additions.

Disadvantages:

VHD size is bigger than the WinPE source.

Files included in attachment:

Clean_All.bat

As some 7 and 8.x based WinPEs (by design) have a very limited space of writable memory available to store new info, since some time ago I created this little batch file to remove all temp files created when running some Portables on my WinPE and clean also the $RECYCLE.BIN, to avoid the need to reboot. This file could be edited to include other locations of folders/files if required in case of VHDs. now also tested on 10 based WinPEs.

PS.exe from wimb

This is very useful to find (on any available drive) and run Pstart, a very nice program to create a good organized menu for your portables.

alacran

Attached Files

#15 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

Disadvantages:

No Printer or Bluetooth support   >>> When have you needed this in a WinPE environment?

Audio and WebCam are also Not really needed but I don't like limitations in support of hardware ...

I have another advantage and other disadvantages to mention for WinPE Flat VHD as compared to Compact LZX Full Win10x64 VHD:

Advantage: in WinPE Flat VHD you are Trusted Installer which means more power to do things that are not so easy done in Compact LZX Full Win10x64 VHD

Disadvantage: 

1. WinPE Flat has far less drivers in the DriverStore so that it is Not so Universal

for booting any machine with full power and support for all hardware found (WLAN,  LAN, Chipset, Mass Storage)

2. In WinPE Flat you cannot simply mount ISO or VHD with a double click

Of course in Compact LZX Full Win10x64 VHD you can be Trusted Installer as well by using special Run as Trusted Installer apps.

#16 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:23 PM

Good additions my friend.

Well, I'm not saying in any way WinPE flat or Compact LZX installed on a VHD is going to replace a Compact LZX Full Win10x64 VHD, but it is another alternative for our tool box, and in no doubt it has more advantages than standard WinPE,

I think this are the more relevant advantages when compared:

• Assuming the user already has a WinPE, it is easier and faster to make the VHD. Just a single installation required.
  • The final VHD used size is the smallest we can get (depending only of included programs).
  • Minimum Ram requirements.
  • On WinPE Flat VHD you are Trusted Installer which means the TOP POWER without using additional tools.

And finally, as always it depends of user needs/preferences.

Also as it is so easy to manually make the VHD and edit the BCDs, I don't think this procedure needs to be included in your VHD_WIMBOOT.

I know it can be a complicated and difficult task, and almost a full rebuild is required to include it. IMHO VHD_WIMBOOT is fine as it is now.

alacran

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:26 PM

IN WinPE you are normally "System" or has this changed (possibly on Win 10 PE)? :unsure:

Wonko

#18 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:33 PM

Yes, on Win10XPE it has changed, It is preselected to start as TI, but during booting you can optionally select Admin, another difference is it is based on the Recovery winre.wim not on boot.wim

Also about your comment on: http://reboot.pro/to...hd/#entry216277

[1] the PE is by definition "volatile", at every boot it starts anew.

This do not apply on a FLAT install, since we are not booting from Ram, and as long as the drive is writable the changes/additions remain, remember here we are using a VHD, located on internal HD or a USB device.

alacran

#19 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

JFYI

About Printer drivers, they are not available (included) anymore on recent Win10 versions. As it used to be on 7 and 8.x install ISOS.

alacran

#20 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:30 PM

I do not want to sound like a stick in the mud, but pls, we can boot 10 different vhd's a day, we can even make repairs across any 2 of them, and we are still talking of winpe's? am I missing out on something? pls say. hay que evitar ser anacrónicos. 

#21 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:45 PM

As said:

...it is another alternative for our tool box, and in no dubt it has more advantages than standard WinPE....

And finally, as always it depends of user needs/preferences.

alacran

#22 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:58 PM

About Printer drivers, they are not available (included) anymore on recent Win10 versions. As it used to be on 7 and 8.x install ISOS.

All drivers including Printer drivers are auto installed in Win10x64 nowadays (since version 1903)

The in Win10x64 install.wim missing drivers are auto installed from Internet.

#23 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

sorry Alacrán, I meant "no hay que ser anacrónico", no "no hay que ser anacrónicos" (interferencia del italiano).

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:12 PM

This do not apply on a FLAT install, since we are not booting from Ram, and as long as the drive is writable the changes/additions remain, remember here we are using a VHD, located on internal HD or a USB device.

Long before flat installs on .vhd, flat installs existed just fine, I know that if you write on disk, it stays on disk :) , still the Registry is (should be) "volatile" in a PE, again unless it has changed lately, the SystemSetupInProgress should be 1 (and AFAICR is I believe also connected to printing) and HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MiniNT should exist :unsure:

http://reboot.pro/to...es-to-registry/

http://reboot.pro/to...unning-in-a-pe/

Wonko

#25 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:55 PM

Long before flat installs on .vhd, flat installs existed just fine, I know that if you write on disk, it stays on disk :) , still the Registry is (should be) "volatile" in a PE

Wonko

Yes my friend, you are right any change to the registry is volatile and if you add any program that writes to the registry those changes aren't available on next reboot, even programs that install on command line.

And I can confirm it, as just tested it trying to add vDisk2 by Retokener which is a little program added to context menu for easy mount and unmount VHD(X), very useful on Win7 OS.

This wasn't a big problem since I already have a direct link (Administración de discos) on desktop to %WinDir%\System32\diskmgmt.msc on all my WinPEs, by the way on Win10XPE_x64.vhd the ISOS can be mounted with a double click, only the VHDs can not.

But my statement in following quote remains valid.

Comparative with a standard WinPE.iso and/or WinPE.wim file :

Advantages:

• Grub4dos is not required to boot from a *.iso file same as booting from a WinPE.wim file.
  • Less Ram requirements since we are filedisk booting.
  • You can add new files/folders to the VHD, and Compress them with WOF_Compress if you want.
  • Then no need to create SFX files of your portables to save space.
  • The VHD can be defragmented if you want.
  • You can create new permanent Direct Access links to new files/folders.
  • You can add some additional *.dll (dependencies) files if required to run certain portables.

Just found WOF_Compress do not let to select folders located on A:, B: or X: drives for a limitation imposed by the author, our good friend wimb. But we can mount the VHD on other OS or a WinPE and run it, if required.

Edit: wimb kindly uploaded new version of WOF_Compress supporting to use Drive X:

Done and Uploaded new version of WOF_Compress supporting to use Drive X:

version number remains 3.8

I was able to update all files into Program files\WinNTSetup4 to new version 4.2.3, just replaicing them, and it runs very fine, in fact when trying to recompress this folder content is when I found WOF_Compress issue.

Attached some pictures where you can see some new links created on the desktop including a link to Aplicaciones (my portable collection) applied LZX compressed to the root of the VHD using wimlib-clc.

New links created are: Administración de discos (%WinDir%\System32\diskmgmt.msc), Enviar a (%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo), and all following from Aplicaciones folder located on the VHD root for testing pourposes: PartitionGuru, SwiftSearch64, wimlib-clc_x64 and WOF_Compress_x64, also PS.exe (that was inserted before with winlib-clc) and Clean_All.bat were copied directly to the desktop as they are very small, by the way I edited my Clean_All.bat and it's working fine now on Win10, and should work also on 7 and 8.x, too, as I only added some lines, it wasn't cleaning the %WinDir%\temp folder, It was reuploaded on Post No. 14

I could mount the VHD and try to edit the registry with offlinereg by erwan.l to make permanent the required changes/additions to add vDisk2 to context menu for VHD mount/unmount, but "Administración de discos" link (%WinDir%\System32\diskmgmt.msc) works fine too.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb and doberman like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win10xpe_x64, flat install, compact install, vhd

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users