Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 140 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

miniwinfe1.jpg?w=593&h=428

Mini-WinFE is out of beta!

The Mini-WInFE project is out of beta (it worked as expected).  This is a “mini” FE because it is a tad bit more than the original command line only version and a little less than the full-featured-every-option-available version.

It’s fast to build (less than 10 minutes to build and burn to a CD), fast to boot, and fast to image.

Since is it primarily an imaging solution, scripts for FTK Imager, X-Ways Forensics, and the FAU imaging utilities and included.  X-Ways does not “come with” this WinFE, you need a license for X-Ways.  FTK Imager, like FAU, is free for you to download for use in this Mini-WinFE.

This is the build you want when you need a Windows based imaging boot system.  It has been developed from a forensics acquisitions perspective, without an option to build anything other than a write-protected, WinFE OS.

The project is freely downloaded at http://reboot.pro/fi...375-mini-winfe/

Superb documentation on the Mini-WinFE by Misty can be found here: http://mistype.reboo...ocs/readme.html

More wallpaper has been added to the download page.

956 b.gif?host=winfe.wordpress.com&blog=1427

View the full article

#2 skon

skon
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

Hi Bret great work on sharing the WinFE stuff,

I am having a problem with this build and want to know if anyone else has run into it and possibly a solution.  I keep getting at boot an error at cmd.exe that stats:

"A winpeshl.ini is present, but no commands were successfully launched.  This could be caused by incorrrect formatting or an invalid executible name"

It then reboots my CD

----

My winpeshl.ini file contains:

[LaunchApps]
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\WinFE\wprotect.exe, -i
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\bbLean\blackbox.exe

----

Both programs are on the system and I can run them from command fine.  Any thoughts.

#3 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

@skon
This message was reported here in the MistyPE thread - http://reboot.pro/to...stype/?p=177334 (and in the comments on the winfe.wordress site - here)

Please unpack the zip file using 7-zip - Brett reports that WinRAR is also working.

Sorry, when I get the time I'll repack the download using Windows built in software.

Regards,

Misty

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

To avoid the impression that 7-zip somehow created an "incompatible" archive, most probably the issue is connected to the SETTINGS used at archiving time in 7-zip that EXCEEDED the capabilities of the Windows 7 built-in unzipping tools.

Please take note that slapping (hard) in the face a "technician" NOT using 7-zip as default compression/uncompression tool may be considered NOTan offence in several countries :w00t: ;)

:cheers:

Wonko

#5 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Please take note that slapping (hard) in the face a "technician" NOT using 7-zip as default compression/uncompression tool may be considered NOTan offence in several countries :w00t: ;)

Considering that the last time I used Windows native compression software to unpack a file and then experienced these errors myself, I couldn't agree more. I spent the best part of an evening going through all of my project scripts to trace what had caused the reported errors - only to find that it was my own stupid fault for not using 7-zip as normal.

#6 skon

skon
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

Thanks,

It works like a charm now.  There was NOT no technician.. therefore no slapping NOT required.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users