#1 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 February 2023 - 10:32 AM

MistyPE has been abandoned/discontinued/replaced/superceeded. 

I was prevously maintaining two different WinPE winbuilder projects - MistyPE and Mini-WinFE. MistyPE/Mini-WinFE development stalled some time ago. This was initially due to a combination of work/life commitments and the limited free time I had having been spent working on the PEBakery ChrisPE project. And then Covid hit!

Time constraints remain an issue. Rather than abandoning the project I decided to use the ChrisPE fileset as a base for updating Mini-WinFE. I have migrated the project to GitHub, with a Mini-WinFE project with two different branches. The WinPE branch (direct link - https://github.com/M...inFE/tree/WinPE) is intended as a MistyPE replacement. 

WinBuilder or PEBakery can be used to run/build the project - both are included in the download. PEBakery 0.9.5.1 beta5 build is included - the project has been tested with more recent PEBakery builds including PEBakery 1.0.0, however tests were limited to running on a Windows 10 host operating system. Build 1.0.0 failed to run during a brief test on Windows 8.1.

NOTE - .Net Framework 4.7.1 and Windows 7 or newer is required to run PEBakery 0.9.5.1 beta. It should run ok on Windows 10.

As stated, the Mini-WinFE reboot is available via GitHub -

• main - forensic focus. A number of applications and settings that could potentially perform disk writes have been removed.
  • WinPE - includes more applications and options - use with caution as it is possible to use settings that will not write protect disks.

Support for Windows 10 up to and including 22H2 sources - this includes SysWOW64 support. Testing has been limited. More details of supported builds is available @ http://winfe.mistypr...files/winpe.htm

Windows 11 (21H2 and 22H2) also appear to be working, but have not been thoroughly tested.

Some of the previous features of MistyPE/Mini-WinFE are missing, however the build process should be more straightforward due to reduced options.

Feedback welcome.

cheers.gif

Misty

• Brito and Atari800XL like this

#2 Atari800XL

Atari800XL

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2023 - 03:27 PM

So nice to hear from you!!

The new package is looking great, excellent quality as usual.

I only did a few quick tests, but everything went perfect, and very fast. Build one was just a quick basic build (and quick it was), test 2 only added DiskManagement (of course....)

Looking forward to doing some more tests with more (all) of the Applications added.

Thank you for sticking around, and keeping at least one package up to date. I used Winbuilder as a base, don't seem to have a lot of luck with PEBakery, but maybe I'll try it one more time (not even sure about the .NET stuff).

:thumbup:

• misty likes this

#3 Atari800XL

Atari800XL

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2023 - 03:40 PM

Spoke too soon :-)

The PEBakery builder worked just as well. Quite unexpected, because recently I didn't have any success running it with either the PhoenixPE project or the German C't project. On the other hand: ChrisR's later Win10XPE is also still using the "old" Winbuilder, so no problems there either.

Thanks for including both builders in your project.

#4 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 February 2023 - 03:53 PM

thanks for staying involved! Its a lot of work/time maintaining one project, never-mind multiple.projects.

• misty likes this

#5 Tokener

Tokener

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 05:47 PM

Thank you very much for sharing your work with us.

Best wishes   T.

• misty likes this

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 February 2023 - 09:42 PM

What matters is to keep good projects available. Thanks for the good work Misty! :cheers:

• misty likes this

#7 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2023 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. My knowledge has increased significantly since my first winbuilder project over 10 years ago - MiniXP.

Winbuilder is still a joy to use.
  • Atari800XL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users