Photo
- - - - -

How to repartition hard disk using Windows 10 recovery media?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:20 AM

I am an Ubuntu user since last many years. Recently, I purchased Lenovo Thinkpad T460P which comes with Windows 10 Home edition pre-loaded. In spite of despising the idea of pre-loading a non-free OS (and thereby robbing the buyer) with utmost passion, I ended up buying this one because of more important reasons. Some creep at Lenovo decided to partition as below which is kind of useless for any non-n00b user.

partition.png

I want to set up a dual boot between Windows 10 and Ubuntu. However, it seems neither `Refresh` nor `Reset` option brings up the partitioning UI. As I have not purchased the copy of Windows 10 separately (though paid the price as a bundled component), I am not sure if this is at all an option. I can create a recovery media, but I am almost certain that it's going to refabricate the same layout. Moreover, if I install Windows 10 afresh, I have to take the pain of installing all the drivers myself.

Probably, I can use the `Shrink Volume` feature. But, I suspect the next time I go for a recovery, it'll overwrite the partition I will be installing Ubuntu.

Is it anyway possible to make the recovery mechanism ask for a custom partitioning layout?

#2 nguyentu

nguyentu

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 102 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

I also use the Shrink option to create a new partition and install Ubuntu on it.
Windows will protect user data. Moreover, it can recognize its partitions for repair and restoration.
For recovery feature, I think it only works on the EFI partition (for the bootloader), the system partition that has Windows installed (for repairing the system files).
I think the Ubuntu partition will not be affected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users