31 replies to this topic

#1 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:46 PM

I was finally able to get a CD built that actually boots to completion. The last thing I saw was a window telling me that it could not find a network card, with click boxes to search or quit. Unfortunately, I could do neither as neither my keyboard nor my mouse would work, so all I had was a pretty screen to look at. ;)

I do have "Load Drivers at Startup" checked in Drivers/Driver Integration and thought that would handle it. Apparently not.

I have a log file if there is somewhere here to post it.

I've looked at the tutorials, but most of them are ancient. The drivers section is useless.  Are there any tutorials that actually are step-by-step walk throughs for adding things like drivers or programs to the builder that simple folks like me can understand?  Can anyone help?

jetjock

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:57 AM

Can you use a PS/2 keyboard or a USB-to-PS/2 converter dongle?

Are you using a USB 2 port for the kbd/mouse?

What is the system/mainboard?

What is the Win7 (standard Microsoft unaltered ISO)?

Does the keyboard/mouse work at ant stage during Setup?

Have you tried removing and reconnecting them?

#3 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

Can you use a PS/2 keyboard or a USB-to-PS/2 converter dongle?

Are you using a USB 2 port for the kbd/mouse?

What is the system/mainboard?

What is the Win7 (standard Microsoft unaltered ISO)?

Does the keyboard/mouse work at ant stage during Setup?

Have you tried removing and reconnecting them?

I don't think this is what you had in mind, but since there are no PS/2 ports on this machine I tried using an old PS/2 mouse & keyboard that I still have, and plugged them in using a PS/2-USB dongle. Absolutely no help. Tried unplugging & re-plugging, then tried plugging a USB keyboard & mouse in one at a time. No reaction to any of the above.

All of the above were tried using  USB 2 ports.

Both KB & mouse are dead throughout the whole boot process. The last time they work is when I select the CD drive to boot from on the BIOS screen.

Win 7 files are from a virgin DVD that I used to install my OS. Files are copied from the DVD to a folder on the a hard drive.

System is American Megatrends BIOS on an ASUS Z97-A motherboard.

Thanks for trying to help.

jetjock

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:58 PM

What is the objective? To install Win7 onto the internal hard disk?

If it is to boot WinPE, why not use a Win10 WinPE - e.g. ChrisR's Win10PE ?

#5 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

I had lots of problems with keyboard and mouse not working on a Lenovo 100s Netbook. Finding and injecting the correct driver solved the problem - you may have a similar issue. My 100s trials and tribulations are documented here.

Might help, might not.

Misty

#6 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

What is the objective? To install Win7 onto the internal hard disk?

If it is to boot WinPE, why not use a Win10 WinPE - e.g. ChrisR's Win10PE ?

The objective is to build a boot disk that will enable me to boot into my computer, whether it is working or not, and manipulate files & folders as if I were actually in Windows. I really don't need much. If you are familiar with the old Bart'sPE, that is what I would like. Unfortunately, it does not work with Win 7 x64. :(

Well, that's what I'm trying to build with right now, except it's the Win7PE version by him.

Right now I have rebuilt my CD and this time I installed all the drivers available. It just finished burning, so will post back in few minutes with results. Thanks again.

#7 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:09 PM

I had lots of problems with keyboard and mouse not working on a Lenovo 100s Netbook. Finding and injecting the correct driver solved the problem - you may have a similar issue. My 100s trials and tribulations are documented here.

Might help, might not.

Misty

See my reply to steve6375. If it still doesn't work I'll check out your tribulations. ;)

#8 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

Why do you choose Win7 for your PE when it does not have the drivers required for modern hardware?

Why not simply download something like Gandalf's Win10PE ISO and use that?

Or build your own Win10 PE using ChrisR's WiinBuilder project?

Why deliberately pick an OS that does not support your hardware?

#9 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

OK, just booted to disk that had every driver under the "Drivers" block in the left hand column of WinBuilderPE checked. Exactly same results as before. Unless Misty's trials & tribulations link tells me exactly how to install this stuff, I'm afraid it's time to wave the white flag! Thanks for helping.

Just quickly checked Misty's link. I'm afraid I missed that week of programmers school! :o I just don't have the knowledge required to get that deep into this stuff. That's why I thought that the PE builder program was just what I needed. Point it to the files needed, click play, burn the disk and viola, a new boot disk. That's about as deep as my programming knowledge goes.

Thanks again for helping.

jetjock

Edited by jetjock, 15 February 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#10 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

Why do you choose Win7 for your PE when it does not have the drivers required for modern hardware?

Why not simply download something like Gandalf's Win10PE ISO and use that?

Or build your own Win10 PE using ChrisR's WiinBuilder project?

Why deliberately pick an OS that does not support your hardware?

I'm afraid that we are not on the same page here. My hardware is Windows 7, not Windows 10. And I am using ChrisR.'s Winbuilder project for Windows 7. As for it not having drivers for modern hardware, my computer works just fine with the drivers included in the Win 7 DVD, which supposedly is where the builder project is getting it's files. So the problem appears to be getting those drivers into the builder, or having them load from it. Since there doesn't appear to be any easy way of doing that, or at least nobody that can tell me an easy way, I guess it's time to give up. Thanks again for posting.  :)

jetjock

Edited by jetjock, 15 February 2017 - 10:18 PM.

#11 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

All of the above were tried using  USB 2 ports.

ASUS Z97-A motherboard.

Disable, remove any third party drivers. Windows default drivers should work. Build a new PE.
Do you get keyboard now?

#12 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

WIndows 7 does not have USB 3 drivers or support modern USB controllers as in Z97 (it seems).

If you want to build you own WinPE, then use ChrisR's Win10PESE  not WIn7PESE.

If you just want to boot to WinPE to get access to files on the disk, then Win10PE is just fine.

You can even install Windows 7 using WIn10PE and WinNTSetup.exe if you ever need to.

#13 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

WIndows 7 does not have USB 3 drivers or support modern USB controllers as in Z97 (it seems).

If you want to build you own WinPE, then use ChrisR's Win10PESE  not WIn7PESE.

If you just want to boot to WinPE to get access to files on the disk, then Win10PE is just fine.

You can even install Windows 7 using WIn10PE and WinNTSetup.exe if you ever need to.

OK, I admit I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I thought that I would have to use the Win7PE builder if I'm going to use files from a Win 7 DVD to build the disk! If I use Win10PE, what do I use as a source? I think I do have a Win 10 DVD, but it would be from when it was free. Clarification needed please!

jetjock.

#14 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

Win10 Install ISOs are freely available to download from Microsoft...

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

#15 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

Disable, remove any third party drivers. Windows default drivers should work. Build a new PE.
Do you get keyboard now?

Will try and get back to you. Thanks.

#16 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

Win10 Install ISOs are freely available to download from Microsoft...

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Thanks. I'll get one and give it a try.

#17 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

Thanks. I'll get one and give it a try.

I built a boot DVD using Win10PE_SE and files from a DVD of Win10 Pro X64 that I had from a while ago. When I booted to it, all I got was a blakc and white screen with a prompt for Grub4DOS. There were instructions there saying that "Tab" would give a list of commands available. The good news is the keyboard worked and I got several lines of what appeared to me to be un-punctuated gibberish, but probably was commands available. Since they were all run together, and I didn't recognize any part of them anyway, it turned out to be another useless DVD. Sure glad I'm using re-writables! Guess I'll try cdob's suggestion next.

jetjock

#18 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

Do you get keyboard now?

Not too sure what you meant by removing any third party drivers. What I did was just uncheck everything in the "Drivers" section of the builder and ran it. No change at all. Got the same results when I booted. No keyboard or mouse.

jetjock.

Edited by jetjock, 16 February 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#19 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

Back to basics, boot a Windos 7 DVD. Can you press shift F10 ?

#20 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

I second cdob's advice :worship:

winbuilder projects can be a pain in the **** to use. See my rant here. If cdob's suggestion works then you may want a basic WinPE - check out erwan'l's QuickPE or my own MistyPE - these are basic builds and are largely unmodified versions of WinPE.

Regards,

Misty

#21 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:29 PM

Back to basics, boot a Windos 7 DVD. Can you press shift F10 ?

First boot had no mouse or keyboard. Remembered that I had had this problem before when booting with a Windows install disk or Acronis recovery disk!!   :rolleyes:  Booted again and started clicking & moving mouse as soon as I saw the blue screen. Worked this time. Shift F10 gave me a command window with the "Sources" folder selected. Now what?

After posting above I tried once more to boot with the builder PE. Started frantically clicking mouse and hitting spacebar during boot and the boot stopped at the screen asking where I wanted to boot to. I hit enter on the PE choice and boot continued. So, at least the keyboard was working during part of the boot. When it finished up though, I was back to no control.

jetjock.

Edited by jetjock, 16 February 2017 - 09:40 PM.

#22 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:31 AM

I second cdob's advice :worship:

winbuilder projects can be a pain in the **** to use. See my rant here. If cdob's suggestion works then you may want a basic WinPE - check out erwan'l's QuickPE or my own MistyPE - these are basic builds and are largely unmodified versions of WinPE.

Regards,

Misty

Downloaded your builder and made a boot CD using default settings from download. All I got when I booted was a pretty desktop with no programs on it, nothing but a couple of arrows in the start tray and just a name, which I can't remember, where the start button should be, and no mouse or keyboard. I'm really starting to think the problem is my computer, not the builder! I've downloaded Gandalf's Win10PEX64 Redstone builder and will mess with that tomorrow when I get back from physical therapy. Thanks again for sticking with me!

jetjock

#23 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

If anyone is still reading this, here's an update. I was able to build a boot USB stick version of Gandalf's Win10PE and it works...sort of. According to his page listing all the apps in his latest Redstone release, he lists about 50 Apps that are included. When I looked under "Programs" there was nothing there. I haven't taken the time to thoroughly explore it yet, but at least have found something that my keyboard & mouse work with. If anyone has something to add that will help, I'm all ears (eyes! ;) ).

jetjock

#24 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:52 PM

Great news on the working keyboard and mouse. Your persistence has paid off. Well done. :thumbsup:

I've never used Gandalf's builds, however if the core PE is working then there are lots of apps that can be run portably. There are also lots of others that can work by adding registry settings and dependencies whilst PE is running. It's even possible to do this with complex programs like the Disk Management Console (diskmgmt.msc) - it can be an absolute b@5t@rd tracing the registry settings and file dependencies for some programs though!

Misty

P.s. I hope my own suggestions haven't slowed you down too much!

#25 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

Well, 'download the Gandalf ISO and mess with it' is not a very detailed or accurate description of how you are actually using it!

Maybe, you could give us some details? How did you make the USB drive exactly?

The symptom you describe sounds like it has not loaded the ISO as drive Y: (check Explorer) but it depends on how you are booting it... :ermm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users