7 replies to this topic

#1 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

I posted the below in "My Digital Life" before I discovered the forums here. Since I have not gotten an answers there, I'll try here. I started out just using "Winbuilder" from scratch as shown in the tutorial. Everything goes just fine unzipping the files "winbuilder.exe" and "winbuiler.jar" to a folder I named "Winbuilder". When I run the .exe the first time it adds the folders "Downloads", "Lib" & "Translation" the files "reboot.pro.wbc" & "winbuilder.xml and opens a pop-up window shown below. It does nothing to the .jar file. If I click on the .exe again nothing appears to happen for awhile, & then I get the pop-up window below again. After I couldn't get anywhere with this, I downloaded "Winbuilder 082" and it opens just fine. But I ran into a problem with dead links (http://reboot.pro/to...-in-winbuilder/). Since I'm not familiar with scripts & programming, any help I get here would sure be appreciated. All the tutorial are very, very out of date! Digital Life post follows below.

I am trying to build a Boot disk for Windows 7 Ultimate x64 using Winbuilder. I have followed the steps at:

"http://www.irongeek....e-se-tutorial",

but when I get to running Winbuilder for the first time, all I get is what is seen in the attached screenshot. I am "Running as Administrator". I even watched the video presentation by the same guy who wrote the tutorial, which says it's for Win 32/64:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2r-qdm-Iw",

to see if I missed something, but when he runs Winbuilder for the first time, the program opens so one can download projects. Can anyone shed some light here?

jetjock plane.gifattachment.php?attachmentid=41481&d=1486

P.S. I didn't make clear that the screenshot is a composite of the Winbuilder install folder and the CMD window that pops open.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

I am trying to build a Boot disk for Windows 7 Ultimate x64 using Winbuilder.

For a number of reasons (too complex to explain) there are two Winbuilder "main" releases.

The new, stupidly named the same Winbuilder (that is Java based) and the "old" good (080,082, etc.) Winbuilder.

BOTH are just "builders" or if you prefer "command processors".

They need to be "fed" scripts, a "project" is a set of such scripts.

For the new Wibuilder there is (AFAIK) only one project that should be good for anyone, everywhere, to build a basic 7 based PE (that when it works it probably works).

For the "old" there are tens of "old" projects, tested, working, etc. that are not (for whatever reasons) properly maintained here anymore.

Nowadays there is a nice project by Chris_R developed and maintained on another board (that in theory I cannot even name, let alone provide a link to it), but since one of my favourite activities is to find creative ways to workaround this "do not link to", "do not name" policy, you can use this link and work from there:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ou7wgpx

You want to try at first to download and run the compressed "small" version, that includes the "right" Winbuilder 082 (stupidly renamed to BuilderSE).

:duff:

Wonko

• jetjock likes this

#3 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

For a number of reasons (too complex to explain) there are two Winbuilder "main" releases.

The new, stupidly named the same Winbuilder (that is Java based) and the "old" good (080,082, etc.) Winbuilder.

BOTH are just "builders" or if you prefer "command processors".

They need to be "fed" scripts, a "project" is a set of such scripts.

For the new Wibuilder there is (AFAIK) only one project that should be good for anyone, everywhere, to build a basic 7 based PE (that when it works it probably works).

For the "old" there are tens of "old" projects, tested, working, etc. that are not (for whatever reasons) properly maintained here anymore.

Nowadays there is a nice project by Chris_R developed and maintained on another board (that in theory I cannot even name, let alone provide a link to it), but since one of my favourite activities is to find creative ways to workaround this "do not link to", "do not name" policy, you can use this link and work from there:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ou7wgpx

You want to try at first to download and run the compressed "small" version, that includes the "right" Winbuilder 082 (stupidly renamed to BuilderSE).

Wonko

Many thanks for the comprehensive explanation. The 'net is great for finding stuff, but unfortunately, a lot that is found is so out of date that it is virtually useless. And even more unfortunate, it's almost impossible to separate the "wheat" from the "chaff". That's where good guys like you come in. I'll check out the link you provided and get back. Thanks again!

jetjock

#4 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

In addition to the project you were attempted to use, and the one that Wonko has suggested that you look at, there are also a couple of projects that might be of interest depending on your definition of a "Boot Disk -

* MistyPE (and here)
* QuickPE

QuickPE is lightening fast and is batch script based (or was when I last looked). MistyPE is a WinBuilder project that I can't really comment on as I'm a bit biased! They are both very minimalist WinPE builds.

There may be other projects of interest here.

Enjoy and have fun.

Misty

#5 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

In addition to the project you were attempted to use, and the one that Wonko has suggested that you look at, there are also a couple of projects that might be of interest depending on your definition of a "Boot Disk -

* MistyPE (and here)
* QuickPE

QuickPE is lightening fast and is batch script based (or was when I last looked). MistyPE is a WinBuilder project that I can't really comment on as I'm a bit biased! They are both very minimalist WinPE builds.

There may be other projects of interest here.

Enjoy and have fun.

Misty

Thank you very much for the tips.I had already followed Wonko's advice and downloaded the "small" version of Win7PE_SE. I had already found the "Full" version yesterday, so I compared the two. You all may be surprised that they are identical (file size wise anyway) except for the .ini files. The full version adds: "win10se.spam.net," to the "WebServer" line. That's it!

As far as what I am looking for in a boot disk. I want something like the old Bart'sPE that allowed me to boot with it and detect & remove malware and viruses plus run a file manager that enables me to delete files that are supposedly being used by a Windows process. Sometimes, just taking ownership of them will work, but other times (like this morning), it doesn't. I was trying to delete all the old files that came from trying to run the  new, Java based WinBuilder. I could not delete the winbuilder.jar file as it was "open" in Java. I had to uninstall Java to get rid of it.

I just got notified that my "build" was done. I have several questions, but don't know if it's appropriate to post them here or not. Can I post a link here to screenshots of my finished build for advice on things to add? Any & all guidance will be gratefully accepted!  :) 

jetjock

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

Naah.  :wacko:

The "small" is a 36 Mb download, the "complete" is a 279 Mb one, I would guess that this latter is different and containing "more".

Also double check the URL you just posted as being added to the Webserver line, you must have made a typo ... :whistling:

As a side note (I don't want to confuse more than strictly needed, but you should be informed of this other option) there is even another way to create a pretty decent Windows 7 based PE, wimb's project:
http://reboot.pro/to...e-windows-7-pe/

Wonko

#7 jetjock

jetjock

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

Naah.  :wacko:

The "small" is a 36 Mb download, the "complete" is a 279 Mb one, I would guess that this latter is different and containing "more".

Also double check the URL you just posted as being added to the Webserver line, you must have made a typo ... :whistling:

As a side note (I don't want to confuse more than strictly needed, but you should be informed of this other option) there is even another way to create a pretty decent Windows 7 based PE, wimb's project:
http://reboot.pro/to...e-windows-7-pe/

Wonko

You are right about the size, but drilling down, they both contain the same folders, and from what I saw, the same files. I confess, I didn't compare every file for size, so the difference must come in there. Unless 7zip contains a magic formula!!   :lol:

How the heck did that happen! I thought I just copied and pasted  :blush:. Should have been...Whoops, looks like the housemother will not allow the proper cough, cough "cw" "codes" to be posted here. :rolleyes:

Edited by jetjock, 09 February 2017 - 09:28 PM.

#8 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4197 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:21 AM

The The "small" is a 36 Mb = Basic PE

, the "complete" is a 279 Mb  = PE with additional apps and other options to add onto the final PE.

• jetjock likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users