#51 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

Is this project dead? please, don't leave it.

Why dead? :w00t:
It works :thumbsup:, it worked in the past :thumbup:, NO need whatsoever to change anything in it IMHO until it is found that it doesn't work on some new release of Windows. :ph34r:

:cheers:
Wonko

#52 tooblackforjack

tooblackforjack
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

could someone please make a video tutorial for this?? im always getting issues and im aware that this would make my computer much much faster.

#53 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

im always getting issues and im aware that this would make my computer much much faster.

I sincerely doubt that having a pagefile on USB will make your (or anyone's for that matter) computer ANY faster. (it simply has NO connection whatsoever with "speed").

Wonko

#54 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

tooblackforjack

What can make it faster is using RAMDrive or eBoostr to keep your Page file in RAM instead of on USB HD, if you have enough usually not fully utilized RAM on your PC, when running service ops from a USB HD - assuming, you normally run Windows from an internal HD, and only use the external one for service or occasional play with your system.

#55 tooblackforjack

tooblackforjack
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:48 AM

ahh, can someone help me install this? Whenever i have it installed, and reboot, my computer gets stuck on the windows 7 splash screen and i can only fully boot when i press f8 before my computer loads and choose run with last known working configuration or something like that. Any ideas?

#56 dencorso

dencorso

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 142 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

Try loading windows in test mode, using the testsigning option. Read this post by karyonix carefully to see how.
  • Brito likes this

#57 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

You might even want to create two Paging files to speed up your PC, as keeping the main Paging file on a USB drive may not be the best idea due to slower access:

How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP

On of these can be placed on the RAM Drive, especially if your Win XP can't directly use all the RAM available in your system anyway.

#58 Qbert

Qbert

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thanks a million karyonix,

Now I have Win 7 64-bit working with pagefile on my external hdd.

+1 !

At first, I had problem with Win7 64 but now everything work properly! Great!

Edit: icing on the cake would be diskmod (64) working w/o "Test Mode" ON

Edited by Qbert, 21 March 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#59 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Edit: icing on the cake would be diskmod (64) working w/o "Test Mode" ON

I do think that if you (or someone else) provide the funds to BUY a digital signature for the thingy Karyonix :worship: would not have problems with it.
Unless things have changed recently around US$ 500.00 are needed for first year, see:
http://reboot.pro/2148/page__st__37
http://devblog.peerb...ned-driver.html

Wonko

#60 angelclaw

angelclaw
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

For some reason when I enable global mount as fixed, some USB devices don't mount at all
Now I try to only mount one device as fixed but tweaking the registry is not working.
I've done the following:

Posted Image

Can someone help? I something wrong with this setup?

LE: It seems latest Intel RST installs an iastorF.sys filtering driver that bypasses diskmod I think. Can someone confirm?

Edited by angelclaw, 25 October 2012 - 11:34 PM.

#61 degiovab

degiovab
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

I believe karyonix wrote a fantastic piece of software.

But I also started having problems with some flash disks (not being recognised) despite all my attempts to setup diskmod only for one USB hard disk (the one I'm using to boot Windows 7).

So I decided to uninstall diskmod (immediately my flash disks started working ok) and, for a while, I simply accepted to work without pagefile (and see the annoying "temporary pagefile" message at every boot).

Until I read sambul61 comment (see post #54) on ramdisks.

After reviewing a few free options I ended up installing Gavotte RAMDisk with the PAE option turned on (I'm running Windows 7 with 4Gb RAM so I could use the extra 500Mb for the RAMDisk) and voilà, the annoying pagefile message is gone!

#62 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

I am only reporting that diskmod is working in Windows Embedded Seven Standard X64 with test mode on for detecting multi partitioned UFD as non removable so all partitions are available in explorer.

thanks Karyonix for another extremely useful tool!

#63 zenoaghaz

zenoaghaz
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

pls guide me

i try to use cmd for installing DiskMod:

rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 .\diskmod.inf

call .\UFDasHDD.bat

if "%BIT%"=="32" .\devcon        restart @usb\*

but i recived error

and any attemp to use devcon for intalling failed:

if "%BIT%"=="32" \boot\Firadisk\i386\devcon    install \boot\Firadisk\diskmod.inf   root\diskmod

#64 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

I don't get it.

Why can' t you install it per instructions?

It is possible that the diskmod.inf - for whatever reasons - does not install correctly when used through rundll32, though it is much more probable that by IMMEDIATELY calling afterwards "UFDasHDD.bat" you don't give enough time to the install routine to become "current".

Using devcon ? Why?

I mean, diskmod is a filter driver, and if using devcon, most probably you need to install it as a filter driver, i.e. using the classfilter command:

http://msdn.microsof...6(v=vs.85).aspx

to the GUID {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} or to the class DiskDrive as LowerFilter, probably needing before to create a service for it with SC or similar.

Wonko

#65 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

i try to use cmd for installing DiskMod:

http://msdn.microsof...y/aa376957.aspx
There is no section DefaultInstall at diskmod.inf
There are sections DefaultInstall.ntx86 and DefaultInstall.ntamd64.

if "%BIT%"=="32" rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall.ntx86 132 .\diskmod.inf

#66 zenoaghaz

zenoaghaz
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

thanx for reply

There is no section DefaultInstall at diskmod.inf
There are sections DefaultInstall.ntx86 and DefaultInstall.ntamd64.

if "%BIT%"=="32" rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall.ntx86 132 .\diskmod.inf

i`m not much exprienced at installing Drivers but if you familar with imdisk, can find this line in setup file of it:

rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 .\imdisk.inf

works even without DefaultInstall at imdisk.inf

seems rundll32 can detect and use DefaultInstall.ntx86 or DefaultInstall.ntamd64.

why that is not work with diskmod.inf ?

I don't get it.

Why can' t you install it per instructions?

originall idea:

i want to use  diskmod.inf for access other partition on UFD at start stage of setup windows.

without reorder partition table that introduced here: http://www.rmprepusb...ls/multipartufd

it is much more probable that by IMMEDIATELY calling afterwards "UFDasHDD.bat" you don't give enough time to the install routine to become "current".

"UFDasHDD.bat" just add a registry key and even it is possible to add this before installing.

reg add hklm\SYSTEM\CurrentCOntrolSet\Services\diskmod\Parameters /v Removable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

and is not a command direct to driver.

Using devcon ? Why?

i`m not sure that is right way !

after manualy right click on diskmod.inf and successfully installing,

UFD must be unattached and again replug it, manually and physically.

i hope that (if "%BIT%"=="32" .\devcon        restart @usb\*) Automatically do it

any idea?

I mean, diskmod is a filter driver, and if using devcon, most probably you need to install it as a filter driver, i.e. using the classfilter command:

http://msdn.microsof...6(v=vs.85).aspx

to the GUID {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} or to the class DiskDrive as LowerFilter, probably needing before to create a service for it with SC or similar.

this is a good advise.

i try to test and report back.

thank you very much.

#67 GCalzo

GCalzo
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Now I try to only mount one device as fixed but tweaking the registry is not working.

Can someone help? I something wrong with this setup?

I do have the same problem, the global forge as HDD is working well on my Seven Enterprise SP1 32bit, but I need to activate it only on one SanDisk stick that has been multipartitioned. This doesn't work... :(

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_SanDisk&Prod_Cruzer_Slice&Rev_1.10\2004351672056C32589A&0\Device Parameters\DiskMod]
"Paging"=dword:00000000
"Removable"=dword:00000000

I'm sure it's the right one because I have found it into the Enum DiskMod's subkey!

#68 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

why that is not work with diskmod.inf

Which error message do you get?
The "rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 .\diskmod.inf" does work here.
It's docmented http://msdn.microsof...e/ff547360.aspx
Sorry for the confusion.

i want to use  diskmod.inf for access other partition on UFD at start stage of setup windows.

This is a special case. Which windows version do like to use?
Can you integrate diskmod to windows setup files?

after manualy right click on diskmod.inf and successfully installing,
UFD must be unattached and again replug it, manually and physically.
i hope that (if "%BIT%"=="32" .\devcon        restart @usb\*) Automatically do it

Copy diskmod files to RAMdisk first, lauch from RAMdisk.
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\diskmod\Parameters /v Removable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
devcon disable "USBSTOR\*"
devcon enable "USBSTOR\*"

#69 RetrOpolis

RetrOpolis
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hello, I'm in desperate need of help: I just installed this driver and now my Windows 8.1 PC cannot boot up :((. Here's the order of events that resulted in this disaster:

1. I upgraded from Windows 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro (64-bit) by downloading from the Windows Store.
  2. I downloaded TestSignRootCA.reg and merged it into my registry.
  3. I downloaded the DiskMod 0.0.2.2 zip from this forum (post #23).
  4. I typed "bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON" per the instructions, but got an error message saying some policy didn't allow it (maybe Windows 8.1 is stricter than previous versions?). I just ignored the error and continued on to the next steps (maybe a big mistake in hindsight).
  5. I unzipped diskmod_0.0.2.2.zip, right-clicked on the INF file, and selected "Install".
  6. WIndows asked if I trusted the publisher; I selected Yes to install the driver. No error messages popped up, so I assumed it was installed OK (in fact, I think I even got a message saying the driver was installed successfully).
  7. I immediately rebooted my PC.

This was when my nightmare started. Windows went into "Preparing Automatic Repair", then "Diagnosing your PC", then "Your PC did not start correctly". I'm given two options: Restart and Advanced options. Restarting always results in the same loop above. I think I tried every option in advanced recovery options, but nothing worked (again, it goes into the same loop after every restart). I even selected System Restore to restore my PC to the last restore point (two days ago), but that also failed with the following message:

"System Restore did not complete successfully.... An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070005)"

The only option that I haven't clicked on is Refresh your PC, because that would basically wipe out all my installed software and countless hours of tweaks that I have put into this system -- this is definitely my last last resort.

My last chance is this forum: could someone please help me try to fix this? I'm praying that there must be some way to repair this without doing a Refresh. I can access the command console, but I need instructions on how to uninstall this driver manually. I would like to undo everything that was done by the INF file.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

#70 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

My last chance is this forum: could someone please help me try to fix this? I'm praying that there must be some way to repair this without doing a Refresh. I can access the command console, but I need instructions on how to uninstall this driver manually. I would like to undo everything that was done by the INF file.

Well, you will need a PE of some kind, one of the most recent ones is MystyPE which should be compatible with Windows 8/8.1 sources, and you will better start a new thread (as this is probably not going to be a simple thing, so no need to make this specific thread filled with recovery procedures).

Here is a good place to start the new thread:

http://reboot.pro/fo...bility-drivers/

And here you can find the MistyPE project:

http://reboot.pro/topic/18917-mistype/

If you have another PE based on 8 or 8.1 available, even a "plain" WAIK command line one, may do, basically we will need to check the Registry and (hopefully) find a way to remove the references to the driver.

Wonko

P.S.: For the record, in hindsight, the big mistake (besides Windows 8 or 8.1 :whistling: ) is that of making experiments without a proper backup/recovery provision :(

#71 RetrOpolis

RetrOpolis
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Wonko. I will post on the thread you suggested.

By the way, I do have access to the command line _and_ the registry in WIndows recovery mode. The strange thing is, when I searched for "diskmod" in the registry editor it returned zero results.

Also, I do make it a habit to create system restore points because it has saved my butt once before. However, this is the first time that even a system restore failed :(. Gosh, I'm so stressed right now I can't even sleep (it's 2am here).

#72 Noer5

Noer5

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
    Tahiti

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

Have read a few posts saying that this diskmod project is the best way to inject a filter driver to have a 'removable' stick be seen as fixed. 

1-- Could anyone tell me if possible to install a filter driver into a WTG install (in a VHD on the stick) and get that install to see itself as on a fixed disk?

2-- I realize kind of the opposite of the original intent of this thread, but is there a way to place page file anywhere other than on the stick? Like on the largest HDD available on system?

Sorry to revive old thread, but hopefully help others.

Thanks

#73 Protopia

Protopia
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

Trying to use DiskMod 0.0.2.2 on an Asus Transformer T100TAF running Windows 10 32-bit Home.

I have followed the installation instructions, but it does not seem to be working. I suspect that this may bbe because my SD "disk" is not enumerated as USB, IDE or SCSI but instead under a new type of SD i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SD\DISK&Generic&SP16G&8.0.

Can I fix this with registry entries, or does it need an updated driver?

Thx.

P

#74 Protopia

Protopia
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hmmm - please disregard the previous post for the moment as it may be working just fine.

I was assuming that because it showed an Eject icon on the system tray that it was not working - but the disk is not showing as removable in disk manager so it may be working just fine. I am testing a backup to it now and will update once it finishes or fails.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users