27 replies to this topic

#1 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

I managed to build the MultiPE project (ver 54) with a 32 bit Windows 7 source with only 4 errors during the build -

(LocalisationEx.Script) RegRead - Failed to read specified key from: [HKLM]Section: [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000C09] Key: [Layout File] to variable:: [%KBDDLL%]
file:///E:/multiPE/Pictures/cross.gif (LocalisationEx.Script) RegRead - Failed to read specified key from: [HKLM]Section: [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000C09] Key: [Layout Display Name] to variable:: [%LAYOUTNAME%]: Section does not exist
file:///E:/multiPE/Pictures/cross.gif (LocalisationEx.Script) RegRead - Failed to read specified key from: [HKLM]Section: [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000C09] Key: [Layout Text] to variable:: [%LAYOUTTEXT%]: Section does not exist
file:///E:/multiPE/Pictures/cross.gif (LocalisationEx.Script) RegRead - Failed to read specified key from: [HKLM]Section: [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\DosKeybCodes] Key: [00000C09] to variable:: [%DOSKEYBVALUE%]: Key does not exist

There were no customized settings. The only change from the default settings was to set the location of the Win7 source. The build machine was running XP SP3. I also tried building it on a PC running Win 7 and got the same result.

It boots OK but there is no explorer. When you double click "Computer" or try to open documents you get an error dialog with a title of "explorer.exe" and the message "No such interface supported"

I noticed that with the XP track there is a script in the Core Files section that adds explorer to the build but this script gets disabled when the track switches to Win 7.

Has anyone got any ideas about what may have gone wrong ?

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Only 4 errors are 4 too much!

Can you provide the log.html of that build?

The XP-Track explorer installation is different from Win7-Track explorer installation.

Peter

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

I found the reason for the 4 errors:

The locale of your source CD is c09 (Australian English).

But in the standard windows installation there is no such entry under "Keyboard Layouts".

You can propably temporary avoid this issue by adding in Core > Tweaks >LocalisationEx [process] as first line (hardcoded!)

Set,%SourceLocale%,00000409

That will install English keyboard to the PE.

Maybe that missing keyboard information is the reason for the missing explorer.

I tried a fresh downloaded multiPE 054, and it ran well.

Peter

#4 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your prompt response. I edited the script file as you suggested but the errors remain. As before, the iso boots but there is no explorer. Here is the log from the most recent build -

https://dl.dropbox.c...810428/log.html

I also tried to comment out the line immediately following the one I edited and this did eliminate the 4 errors but the iso still had no explorer.

I also changed the locale of my PC to English-USA and the location to USA and re-ran the build but the result was the same. The iso boots but no explorer.

Hopefully the log file will provide some clues.

Regards,

Robert.

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Robert,

In the log I do not see the change you should make.

The code should be:

[main]

Title=LocalisationEx

Description=Set localized data and keyboard layout of your build based on your PC's settings

[Variables]

%EngID%=00000409

[process]

Set,%SourceLocale%,00000409   (here we are!)

If,EXISTVAR,%PEF_Type%,Begin

CheckPackage,1

MountCD

End

For the explorer I'm going to check now.

Peter

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

BTW: You can decrease build time to about 40%, when you use RAM-target:
Attached File  ramtarget.gif   27.83KB   6 downloads
Check the "Use RAM ..."

Peter

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

The log does not say anything what gives a hint on the missing explorer.

I built with win7 english ultimate sp1 like you.
Ran well.

But I think I gave you the wrong patch:
Please try this:
in Core > 2 - Core Files > 2 - Build > multiPE configuration, change

RegRead,HKEY_USERS,".DEFAULTControl PanelInternational",Locale,%Locale%

Set,%Locale%,%Locale%,PERMANENT

to

RegRead,HKEY_USERS,".DEFAULTControl PanelInternational",Locale,%Locale%

Set,%Locale%,00000409,PERMANENT

Peter

If that does not help, maybe your source CD has a failure.
Can you try a different source CD?

Peter

#8 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the tip about the RAM target. I did not know what it was until I clicked on the picture you attached. I will try that tomorrow.

The most recent patch to the multiPE configuration solved the problem with the build errors. Now I get no errors and 24 warnings. Here is the link to the latest build log if you are interested.
https://dl.dropbox.c...10428/log2.html

The problem is that I am still getting the explorer error "No such interface supported" and I can't get a command prompt either :(. I did some googling on the error message and found this -
http://www.tomshardw...rface-supported. It says that you need to re-register all the dll's associated with explorer. As I can't get a command prompt I can't apply this fix.

With regards to the windows 7 disk, I have tried 3 different iso files already. I am fairly sure they are un-modified, un-cracked iso's. One of the iso files I tried was a trial version of Win7 that I downloaded from Microsoft just before the release of Windows 7. I suppose it is possible that the problem could be my disks so I will download an official iso from digital river tonight and try that tomorrow.

Regards,

Robert.

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

The warnings are ok.

They appear if the "Debug" option of WinBuilder is ON.
The should help to find out, whether one script overwrites important data of a previous script.

As long as we hane the "No Explorer" issue, that is good.

When the project is running well, you can switch the debug mode off in
WinBuilder > Tools Button > Debug Log checkbox in the middle right.

Let's wait for the result with a DigitalRiver CD.

Peter

#10 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hello,

I got the new iso file from here - "http://msft.digitalr...X17-59463.iso". Unfortunately the result is the same. I did the first build on my XP SP3 machine. I can build an iso and boot it but it still has the explorer error "No such interface supported".

Just to be thorough I used the new iso to reload win 7 on my spare PC and then download the project and did a build. I chose English-USA and a location of USA when loading Win 7. The build worked but it had 2 errors relating to stored wims -

2-ImageIndex.script) DirDelete - Failed to delete directory [C:multiPE_DepotStoredWimsWn72IUen0617601]: Unknown error
2-ImageIndex.script) DirDelete - Failed to delete directory [C:multiPE_DepotStoredWimsWn72IUen0617601]: Unknown error
The resultant iso booted but had the same explorer error as the others.

It is worth mentioning that the PC I am running Win 7 on has a 3 disk raid array.

Subsequent attempts to re-build the project on the Win 7 PC failed with an Imagex error 2 due to the stored wims not deleting. I tried to manually delete the 7 gigs of data in the storedwims folder but could not because it was locked. I managed to delete the data in stored wims using a program called unlocker but it took between 1 and 2 hours. I am sure there is a better way of solving that particular problem but I haven't found it yet.

In summary, I have used 4 different Win7 iso sources and 2 different machines to build the project and I get the explorer error every time.

I am sure there is a solution somewhere but I have not found it yet.

I noticed that you have released ver 55 so I might try that next.

Regards,

Robert.

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Subsequent attempts to re-build the project on the Win 7 PC failed with an Imagex error 2 due to the stored wims not deleting. I tried to manually delete the 7 gigs of data in the storedwims folder but could not because it was locked. I managed to delete the data in stored wims using a program called unlocker but it took between 1 and 2 hours. I am sure there is a better way of solving that particular problem but I haven't found it yet.

XP has troubles with the owner rights of extracted WIMs.
To delete them, the user must boot with Linux or similar. I use PMagic on a multiPE built CD.

I noticed that you have released ver 55 so I might try that next.

Wait a bit. I'm currently delivering version 56 which does not need extracted WIMs anymore.

Peter

#12 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

Hi Peter,

I don't know if this is related to the problems I am having or not but I scanned my PC for viruses last night and the free Avira found this -

G:multiPEProjectsmultiPE_ZipPEFactoryConfig4-Prepare ImageRAMBootEx.ZipFolder.7z
[0] Archive type: 7-Zip
--> bootExt.exe
[DETECTION] Is the TR/ATRAPS.Gen Trojan

It could be a false positive but you might like to investigate this one.

Regards,

Robert.

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hi Robert!

Good news: I could reproduce the issue.
It happens, when WinRe.WIM is used to build the basic PE.
Please change in winre.script to "classic"

I hope to have it fixed in version 56.

Peter

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

I hope to have it fixed in version 56.

Done! :suda:

Version 56 uploaded.

Peter

#15 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi Peter,

That's great news :)

I would try it now but it is 12:30 AM so I will have a go first thing in the morning and let you know how I go.

Regards, Robert.
  • pscEx likes this

#16 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hello,

It looks like there might be a few teething problems with this release. I unzipped it and tried to do a build without changing any settings except for the location of the Win7 source files. It displayed a pop up error for a script error (attached) and after clicking OK it displayed a pop up error for a winbuilder Access Violation. I have attached a copy of these along with the log file for the build.

https://dl.dropbox.c...rors_and_log.7z

I did the first build attempt on my XP machine. I also tried on my Win7 machine with the same result.

Regards,

Robert.

#17 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Version 56 had some initialisation issues.
Try version 57

Peter

#18 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hi Peter,

I think you might be rushing things a bit. Ver 57 seems to have the same script and access violation errors.

No need to rush :)

Robert.

#19 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

When did you download?

Final upload is done about 40 minutes ago.
First upload some hours ago still had the issue, and I deleted from server in the mean time.

Peter

#20 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Hi Peter,

Sorry about that. I must have downloaded the old one.

I have now downloaded the latest version (57). The original script errors have gone but there still seem to be some problems. The script generated 2 errors before stopping. The first error was a failure to create directory followed by an imagex error 2. I have attached the error pics and the log.

https://dl.dropbox.c...rors_and_log.7z

Regards, Robert.

#21 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

As you told me, "Do not rush!" :dubbio:

The upload contained the old system check script.

A new upload (version 58) is running and will be finished in about 10 minutes.

Peter

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

I looked all the time at the wrong place!

I installed XP64 into a new partition and run multiPE.

Bingo! Same ImageX error 2.

For me a reproducable issue is as good as a solved issue.

Peter

#23 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hi Peter,

It's good to hear you can reproduce the error.

Just for the record, I usually try building the project on my XP32 and Win732 machines.

It seems that you have not officially released ver 58 yet as the reboot.pro web site still lists 57 as the latest. I guess I'll wait util the official release of 58 before trying again.

Regards, Robert.

#24 rbanting

rbanting

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hi Peter,

I downloaded ver 58 and very quickly got the imagex error 2 again. I did a bit of checking and found that the imagex.exe in the E:multiPE_DepotWaikFilesWaikFiles.6.0.6001x86 folder was different to the one in my recent Windows AIK installation. The one from my AIK installation was dated 2009 while the one in the WaikFiles folder was dated 2008. I copied the one from the AIK installation to the WaikFiles folder and that fixed the problem. After that I was able to build the iso.

The good news is that the explorer error has been fixed :)

The only minor niggle is that when I booted it on a USB stick it spent several minutes on the "Windows is loading files" screen. Other than that it seems to work really well. I think I may have finally found a replacement for the aging UBCD4Win.

Thanks for all your hard work Peter. It is appreciated.

BTW, did you have a look at the virus detection for bootExt.exe by the free Avira ?. Avira says it is the TR/ATRAPS.Gen.

Regards, Robert

#25 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, Robert!

Can you tell me the version of imagex.exe and wimfltr.sys or wimmount.sys resp. which is running from the waik?
Does WimCaptEx tell, that WimFltr and WimMount services are running?
For optimum multiPE performance, WimFltr must run, WimMount is not necessary.
What is the value of %FastMount%? Should be true.
If it is False and WimFltr service is not running, try ti onstall the service manually in the WaikFilesEx script.
Alternativelly, you get all this information by clicking the "Show Current" button in WaikFilesEx script.

Maybe I can use this information to adjust the initialisation process to a configuration like you have.

The USB boot issue is strange for me.
On my system ISO and USB boot need similar time, and "Window loading files" is estimated less than one minute (3 GHz clock).

Next two weeks I'm disappearing for vacation.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users