Someone fiddled with my profile settings

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

Why the whole forum database should be parsed to begin with? If backup is setup incremental style, only these changes to the DB after recent forum soft update need parsing. The parsing process is not error proof either, so incremental backup seems to be a preferred solution.

Because we don't do incremental backups.

#27 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

Why the whole forum database should be parsed to begin with? If backup is setup incremental style, only these changes to the DB after recent forum soft update need parsing. The parsing process is not error proof either, so incremental backup seems to be a preferred solution.

...or maybe use differencing .vhd's.... :whistling:

You are missing what the actual issue is about. (Because there are several different ones).
The one I was talking about is the one that you were hit by recently :ph34r::
http://reboot.pro/15407/page__st__17

The "old" database, created by the "old" version of the Board software was saved with a given, compatible with the "old" board software format.

Then upon install of the "stupid new" board software
EITHER:
  • the pre-existing database records are NOT parsed correctly by the "stupid new" board software
OR:
  • the "old" database contents were imported by the "stupid new" board software using it's own "stupid new" importing feature into a "stupid new" database with it's own "stupid new" format
In both cases there is nothing connected with differential vs. full backup methods.

The "stupid new" board software cannot read properly the converted or imported pre-existing data.

This happens a lot of times in the actual "real world" of business when a program is changed, I have several experiences (nightmare ones) with re-importing COBOL originated "fixed size" and "delimited" data from old programs to new ones (by ANOTHER software house, using a totally different data format), this is "normal" what is Abby Normal:
http://www.imdb.com/...uotes?qt0504329
in this case is that we are talking of a new version of the SAME software, written by the SAME Software House :w00t:

:cheers:
Wonko

#28 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

in this case is that we are talking of a new version of the SAME software, written by the SAME Software House

This is very true and happens almost without exception on every COTS that I work with.. :rofl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users