steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

The links in the first post do not work - nor do the links in the pdf. Can you correct them please?

#28 rebell

rebell
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:02 AM

I'm sure many people appreciated the trouble you went to in order to lay out this procedure. Unfortunately, you went to a lot of trouble for nothing, as Paragon Backup and Restore (free for non-commercial use) will backup your entire hard drive, including the boot sector and restore it on any hard drive, in effect making a clone of the original. The software is super simple to use and gives one the option of backing up to DVD, USB devices or an internal hard drive. I'm not sure why anyone would want to backup to DVD with large capacity external drives running less than 50 USD, but the option is there. If you are interested in building ISO disks, the best ISO burner I've seen is ImgBurn and is also free for individual use. I've noticed that people seem to go to a lot of trouble to create bootable DVD's and other devices when there are a number of free programs that only take a few minutes to do what you want.

#29 rocketero

rocketero

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:46 AM

To Andex

The links to:
-bootable-usb-utilit...ver-2008-and-7

and

Gimagex

Goes to a NOT FOUND pages.

And to Airsuya:
The windows 7 ISO they refer to is the original Windows 7 DVD, you just need to extract the file "Install.wim" from the folder "Sources".

#30 andex

andex

• Tutorial Writer
  • 68 posts
  •  
    Ethiopia

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

Thank you all for the comments. The links in the frist are updated. As I am out of city, I will update the links in the PDF in 24 hrs time. Sorry for the inconvinence.
@ rebell, the aim of this method is to make a universal Windows 7/vista ISO. So it means once you make this ISO you can use it for any computer. Where as paragon, acronis, or Norton Gohst can only make a backup for one PC only or for PCs of same model. ImageBurn is a nice free application, I didn't mention it because it is a bit complicated for most of the beginers.
@alvinwong, I partly agree with you. However, if you see the first two lines of Phase One, you will get the answer to your question. I agree with you in that updating some of the softwares might be necessary. I am sure it will be much better than installing pto 100 softwares and drivers whenever a PC crashes.
@pehera, thank you for the share. It looks interesting.

#31 Aisurya

Aisurya
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:31 AM

To Andex

The links to:
-bootable-usb-utilit...ver-2008-and-7

and

Gimagex

Goes to a NOT FOUND pages.

And to Airsuya:
The windows 7 ISO they refer to is the original Windows 7 DVD, you just need to extract the file "Install.wim" from the folder "Sources".

But in Dell 15 R inspiron, win 7 is preinstalled. There is no DVD of win 7.. Here what to do?

#32 andex

andex

• Tutorial Writer
  • 68 posts
  •  
    Ethiopia

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:52 AM

But in Dell 15 R inspiron, win 7 is preinstalled. There is no DVD of win 7.. Here what to do?

The simplest solution is to order a free recovery CD from Dell by claiming that you have lost the recovery partition. If they say the want to check it or if they are unwilling, ask them the Product Key of your Windows 7, and download the ISO from any file sharing sites without using any illegal key and activators. Mind you if you use other keys or activators, your Windows will not be genuine, so take care of that.

I have updated the links in the PDF format of the tutorial.

#33 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

OEMs such as Dell use BIOS locking (SLP2) and have a single Product Key for each different OS SKU. They will not tell you their OEM Product Key, but even if you found it (by using Magical Jelly Bean for instance), it would be no good as it will not activate any installation.
Dells DVDs come 'pre-activated' with their OEM product key already embedded in the OS on the DVD and it is BIOS locked to Dell PCs. Equally the Product Key on your Dell COA label on the PC will not work either. You need the Dell Recovery DVD if you want to install an activated copy and it will only work on a Dell PC.

#34 MusTangAu

MusTangAu
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Great post... :cheers:

Will be able to use this for many oem systems...

:D

Edited by MusTangAu, 18 October 2010 - 08:15 AM.

#35 Aisurya

Aisurya
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

The simplest solution is to order a free recovery CD from Dell by claiming that you have lost the recovery partition. If they say the want to check it or if they are unwilling, ask them the Product Key of your Windows 7, and download the ISO from any file sharing sites without using any illegal key and activators. Mind you if you use other keys or activators, your Windows will not be genuine, so take care of that.

I have updated the links in the PDF format of the tutorial.

Thanks , I have 16 digit alphanumeric Product ID in "View basic information about your computer" and also there is product key of 25 digit alpha numeric in the back side of laptop . Which one will works for downloading the win 7 ISO .

#36 andex

andex

• Tutorial Writer
  • 68 posts
  •  
    Ethiopia

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

Thanks , I have 16 digit alphanumeric Product ID in "View basic information about your computer" and also there is product key of 25 digit alpha numeric in the back side of laptop . Which one will works for downloading the win 7 ISO .

If you have DataSafe Local 2.0 on your system, you can make a recovery dvd in dell's way. You can request a recovery dvd from dell by filling a form at the bottom of this page.
http://support.dell....o...;l=en&s=gen
Using the product key on the back side of the laptop is a hassle as it requires activation by phone or might not work as Steve said.

#37 Aisurya

Aisurya
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

If you have DataSafe Local 2.0 on your system, you can make a recovery dvd in dell's way. You can request a recovery dvd from dell by filling a form at the bottom of this page.
http://support.dell....o...;l=en&s=gen
Using the product key on the back side of the laptop is a hassle as it requires activation by phone or might not work as Steve said.

In the dell website we can request only recovery disc,installed software.But we cant request an preinstalled Win 7 ISO.. Help me a another way....

Edited by Aisurya, 18 October 2010 - 02:18 PM.

#38 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

In the dell website we can request only recovery disc,installed software.But we cant request an preinstalled Win 7 ISO.. Help me a another way....

1. Request Recovery disc from Dell
2. When you receive it, make it into an ISO using any of the dozens of tools available.

#39 gutnik

gutnik

• Advanced user
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for very useful tutorial.

With respect,

L.A.G.

#40 Aisurya

Aisurya
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

1. Request Recovery disc from Dell
2. When you receive it, make it into an ISO using any of the dozens of tools available.

Is the Recovery disc is a preinstalled original Win 7 ISO ?

#41 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

It will be an OEM version but very similar. Why not order one and try it?

#42 dunkies

dunkies
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Indonesia

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:25 AM

hello,,, this can be used in differents machines...?? :dubbio:

#43 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

Phase Four – Recovering Windows
The Recovery has no single difference from a clean windows installation. The major difference is the outcome. All your software and setting will be recovered at the end of Windows installation process. The time taken is almost the same as Clean and new Windows installation. Activating Windows might be needed unless you are using a pre-activated Windows.
Most importantly, the recovery DVD can be used for other systems too. The drivers will be installed at first start. It might be necessary to uninstall driver software of the original PC and changing user name and PC name. I have successfully installed Windows 7 Professional on Acer, Dell and Toshiba Notebook using the created Recovery DVD of an HP Notebook.

#44 andex

andex

• Tutorial Writer
  • 68 posts
  •  
    Ethiopia

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

Nice share pehera :hi: I will test it and see if the process is shorter. We can also preprare WinPE 3.0 with imageX bundled, and capture the partition directly with imageX to have an install.wim file.

About a A Bootable USB software, it works well but it is an odd software, you just need to know its odd behavior the it will work. I tried Windows 7 USB/DVD tool but it fails to recognize big ISOs but A Bootable USB don't.

:dubbio:

#45 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929828

#46 maxneo2500

maxneo2500
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Colombia

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

:) excelente aporte hoy realice todos los pasos solo que para meter mi imagen dentro de una unidad de usb kingston de 8 gigas la formatee nfts y con windows 7 usb/dvd todo solucionado...

#47 pehera

pehera
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:59 AM

Nice share pehera :) I will test it and see if the process is shorter. We can also preprare WinPE 3.0 with imageX bundled, and capture the partition directly with imageX to have an install.wim file.

About a A Bootable USB software, it works well but it is an odd software, you just need to know its odd behavior the it will work. I tried Windows 7 USB/DVD tool but it fails to recognize big ISOs but A Bootable USB don't.

:)

I´ve deleted my earlyer post
"This is the way to do it"
Because of it was wrong.
This is how it should be :

1)Install Win 7 using ONLY 1 partition (ONE HD WITH ONLY ON PARTITION)

After installation at the first boot where you are asked to enter your name.

Ctrl+Shift+F3

It will reboot your comp into AUDIT mode.

(Be aware that every time you boot/reboot into AUDIT mode a small Sysprep window will pop up.
You`ll have to CLOSE it NOT Launch it)

2)Now update windows install programs (Acronis True Image Home 2011 is a must,you`ll need it to make the boot cd)

When everything`s ready insert the Acronis boot cd.

Open a Commando promt and type:

C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\SYSPREP.EXE /GENERALIZE /AUDIT /REBOOT

Your comp reboot into Acronis True Image where you make an image of your Windows installation on an external device (USB key or HD)

3)When done boot into windows and start Acronis True Image and convert the Acronis image to VHD (Save it to your desktop)

Then follow Andex`s guide from Phase Two.

Now you have an Windows7 DVD/USB installer that automaticly boot into AUDIT mode after installig Windows.

4)Install drivers if needed,Windows Update if needed, instal more/remove programs and when ready

C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\SYSPREP.EXE /OOBE /REBOOT

Now it will reboot and you`ll be asked to enter your name.

If you wanna keep the installation i decribed in the beginning of this post just repeat step 4)

Sorry !!!!!!

#48 pehera

pehera
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

Step 4)

Could also be like this:

4)Install drivers if needed,Windows Update if needed, instal more/remove programs and when ready

Insert Acronis boot cd

C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\SYSPREP.EXE /OOBE /REBOOT

Now it will reboot into Acronis where you make a DVD set using the direct burn option.

This could be very practicaly if you later on are going to sell your comp.

Just restore from that DVD set and it will be ready for a new end user without any of your personal information.

Edited by pehera, 26 October 2010 - 01:38 PM.

#49 pehera

pehera
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

Why can i only edit a post once ?
Or am i missing something.
When edited once that option disapear.
On Mydigitallife you can edit a post as many times you want.
And speaking of Myditallife you should go there:
http://forums.mydigi...ls-creator-Free
and check out what this Canadian guy AnarethoS is making.

#50 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Or am i missing something.

Yes. :D
Nuno, since a few smart-a§§es changed their posts "wrongly" by adding some SPAM :D links to them or deleted them, has introduced a new limitation, see here:
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=12575

Obviously the new limitation is heavily and unfairly penalizing new but willing to share members like you :D while doing very little against the s"bad guys".

:)
Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users