wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 March 2022 - 10:47 AM

11 is often more troublesome - Recommended is Win10_2004_English_x64.iso and I use 1

WinNTSetup_MinWin_2022-03-07_083155.jpg

#52 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 March 2022 - 01:01 PM

Index 1 is usually Home version in any lang version, but it lacks some features and files if compared with Pro, I always use Pro, in fact I updated all my PCs to 10x64 Pro, just to get the free activation ID, even if still running 7x64 installed in another partition.

And I have noticed Win10XPE also uses Pro by default.

On 10x64 2004 en-US index 6 is Pro, and on 10x64 2004 es-MX index 4 is Pro,

alacran

• wimb likes this

#53 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 March 2022 - 01:28 PM

U r right, it is, but I did try win10 before as well, on 521; gonna try it on 522 as well, and let u know.

#54 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 March 2022 - 02:03 PM

I made Mini-VHDs using 10x64 2004 en-US and es-MX and both are working very fine.

I had some issues during my first tests with my usual preconfigured unattend.xml and my usual $OEM$ folder.

Then decided to use the unattend.xml from WinNTSetup, that let you edit your data in it, directly from WinNTSetup main window, when selected, a little window opens to put your info.

I also stopped using my favorite $OEM$ folder, and no more issues.

But you can create in \WinNTSetup\Tools\MinWin\Default\Add or in \WinNTSetup\Tools\MinWin\Medium\Add folder and all sub-folders into that folder will be copied to drve root (C:\).

I created the profile Medium because I edited several lists text files, to make some tests to solve certain issues as LibreOffice and notepad++ not running.

It seems to me the MinWin mode doesn't acept any thing that will be executed during OOBE, and my  favorite $OEM$ folder runs several scripts in OOBE to pre-configure many settings to my preferences.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#55 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 March 2022 - 04:07 PM

R u sure one is not better off miniwinning a just completely installed version?

#56 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 March 2022 - 02:53 AM

For now I'm testing MinWin and results look very good, maybe still some very minor details to fix, but in general it works fine and avoids several steps compared with our traditional way to build a Mini-VHD by means of the GREAT wimb's programs VHD_WIMBOOT and following apply of Win_Debloat and Win_Reduce.

So if we make a MinWin installation theoretically apply Win_Debloat and Win_Reduce should not be necessary.

I still think in apply Win_Reduce but in this case selecting only all the options we would like to add to the VHD, also possible it could be still useful to reduce the garbage from a VHD installed as MinWin once the installation and all user settings are done, and rebooted again, and after next filedisk boots.  I haven't tested this yet and I don't know if some of this options could not work, but I'll do it and comment it in this topic.

I'm sure VHD_WIMBOOT still will be very useful to capture a WIM file and re-install it.

The new WinNTSetup v5.2.2 is working fine if I install Classic Shell after booting on my Mini-10x64 2004, maybe other similar programs may work too, but haven't tested, this is required because the original OS Start Menu doesn't work fine.  In this version Wifi issue was solved by JFX.

But keep in mind a MinWin build lacks .NET framework and also PowerShell. Not a big deal as I usually don't use them.

Nevertheless JFX lists in Default profile are made to keep only the bare minimum, and the user may need to modify them in some cases.

All lines I suggested to modify in System32-DLL.txt (for DLLs deletion) are now fixed in v5.2.2 (some removed and some commented), no more issues with the USB device extraction, and no more failures with notepad++ or Paint, or any other programs that were not capable to Save as....

Spoiler

But I made a new finding:

\Windows\System32\dxdiagn.dll  >>>  is listed for deletion, comment it to avoid deletion because dxdiag.exe (directx dignostic) that is not listed for deletion, will be present in our build, and will not work without dxdiagn.dll

NOTE: If you don't care about directx dignostic, you can safely ignore this finding.

SySWoW.txt list deserves especial attention: It is proven the default list (for DLLs to keep) is not enough to run some x86 programs. In case you have this issue, I recommend to use my modded SySWoW.txt list, (nothing too sophisticated), I only added almost all lines taken from Win10XPE basic SysWoW that are not present in default list, with some exceptions and additions, as an example with this modded SySWoW.txt list LibreOfficePortable runs fine now.

By the way I finished the review of the modded SySWoW.txt list and was able to delete some lines, but also added some other lines to make things more clear. I will add to my following post the current version of my modded lists for users convenience, in case some users want to use them.

alacran

• wimb and antonino61 like this

#57 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 March 2022 - 05:56 AM

Thank you ever so much. One question about file indexing - better on or off?

#58 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 March 2022 - 07:17 AM

Indexing is disabled in MinWin, better use SwiftSearch that doesn't requiere indexing, but also Classic Shell has its own search feature, that if required we can use on FAT-32, where SwiftSearch doesn't work.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#59 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 11 March 2022 - 07:32 AM

alacran,

I highly recommend using VoidTools Everything for searching. I believe Everything 1.5 is much better than SwiftSearch. It uses an index but builds it very quickly.

Be sure to go to Tools > Options > Indexes, and CHECK all the fast sort options. After that any search you do is almost instant (as-you-type).

It also has a dark mode option (View > Theme > Dark).

Here's a direct link to the latest nightly x64 build.

#60 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 March 2022 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestion ericgl, I will try it.

But one advantage of SwiftSearch is it doesn't make an index, it reads directly from the "Master File Table" of NTFS partitions of each volume, basically the speed is only limited by the speed of the hardware.

Another advantage I see is: if you boot from your USB device in another PC, it will always work as usually and does not need to create an index first.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#61 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 March 2022 - 09:07 AM

POPULAR

Attached my current Modded files.7z   Password = alacran  just in case it can be useful for some users.

NOTE: The Modded files.7z file was re-uploaded because for an involuntary mistake the included SySWoW.txt (previously updated), was not the very last version.

With this new modded SySWoW.txt we have a saving of 30+ MB, the lines were not deleted, only were commented, so the changes can be easily reverted if required.

I assume JFX will make some changes/fixes in a near future that will make my modded Languages.txt and System32-DLL.txt obsolet.

But it seems to me the SySWoW.txt could be useful for longer time as JFX said in a post, he will keep his default file very slim, and this means he doesn't have plans to drastically change his file.

By the way by means of VHD_WIMBOOT captured my Mini-10_es-MX.vhd and applied it in Compact LZX mode:

The WIM file is only 827 MB and once intalled (Compact LZX mode) in a single NTFS partition VHD, the used space before first boot is only 1.06 GB

Programs installed into it are: Classic Shell, 7-zip and Sumatra PDF reader.

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb, antonino61 and nordman like this

#62 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 March 2022 - 10:44 AM

JFYI

In previous post The Modded files.7z file was re-uploaded because for an involuntary mistake the included SySWoW.txt (previously updated), was not the very last version.

With this new modded SySWoW.txt we have a saving of 30+ MB, the lines were not deleted, only were commented, so the changes can be easily reverted if required.

alacran

#63 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 March 2022 - 03:38 PM

As regards the previous dilemma, I think we are better off without index, but it may be a matter of personal taste. now I am almost at the end of the preparation of the vhd before reduction. which is the best way to proceed?

1) windebloat-winreduce-miniwin

2) windebloat-miniwin-winreduce

3) miniwin only

4) any other that u guys might suggest

#64 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 12 March 2022 - 01:15 AM

As regards the previous dilemma, I think we are better off without index, but it may be a matter of personal taste. now I am almost at the end of the preparation of the vhd before reduction. which is the best way to proceed?

1) windebloat-winreduce-miniwin

2) windebloat-miniwin-winreduce

3) miniwin only

4) any other that u guys might suggest

Only use MinWim:

Run WinNTSetup, ISO and install.wim selection, select where to install, index selection, set the internal unatend.xml (located in WinNTSetup), select MiniWin Mode, set some tweaks, and install.

I use 7 GB VHD for the installation.  Once the MinWin is installed, used space is about 2.3 GB.

All done in WinNTSetup. Nothing else is required.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#65 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 474 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 12 March 2022 - 03:33 AM

Do programs like PowerRun/AdvancedRun/NSudo work with MinWin?

I don't have the ISO required to create a MinWin.

#66 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 March 2022 - 05:11 AM

MinWin Install with Printer and Scanner Enabled in DrvStore_Inf.txt works OK, when Printer is Connected AFTER Install.

Bluetooth Audio Device Added AFTER Install works OK, but Bluetooth cannot be Selected as Playback Device

Can Print LibreOffice Document. I should say everything works except Selection of Bluetooth as Audio Playback Device

MinWin_PRT_BTH_2022-03-11_095349.jpg

#67 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 March 2022 - 05:56 AM

Excuse me, where is drvstore_inf.txt located?

#68 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 March 2022 - 05:59 AM

\WinNTSetup_v522\Tools\MinWin\Default\Remove

• antonino61 likes this

#69 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 March 2022 - 06:10 AM

thanks wimb; one more thing: what is the difference between !\ and ;\?

#70 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 March 2022 - 06:37 AM

MinWin can be further reduced with Win_Reduce_Trusted followed by VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted

Add Set Drive-Y and Fix Registry and  Remove \Users\All Users and .etl and more ... to be like Mini-10x64 VHD

MinWin_Reduce_2022-03-12_073247.jpg == Min_Win_Reduce_2022-03-12_073535.jpg == MinWin_Reduced_2022-03-12_074307.jpg

• antonino61 likes this

#71 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 March 2022 - 07:45 AM

thanks wimb; one more thing: what is the difference between !\ and ;\?

; = comment can also be used to prevent removal

! = exclude from removal = keep - this can be useful e.g. exclude file for removal when folder that contains this file is removed  :unsure:

• antonino61 likes this

#72 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 March 2022 - 08:03 AM

yes, even though we "pay so much attention to everything", we deal with so many files that we can never be too careful. you will have twigged that i am trying to get feedback from custom_remove_files and custom_remove_folders in order to reach an optimal deletion stage in miniwin. I am in favor of a concerted action of miniwin and winreduce, at least for the time being. there are things that one is still better off doing with winreduce. and it is vital to keep "extra files" for later re-additions.

#73 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 12 March 2022 - 11:43 AM

JFYI

My W10x64_LZX.vhd (MinWin) used space is 1.04 GB, installed in a 2 GB single NTFS partition VHD, plese see attached photo.

Programs installed: Classic Shell, 7-zip and Sumatra PDF, also added Remote Regedit.

It took me some time to get rid of majority of ETL and LOG files, and mitigate their re-creation.

Spoiler

They were using 101.9 MB just after first boot, and I was able to remove from the VHD 101.84 GB of used space,  now they are using only 61.1 KB.

To start I added a new line to Custom_Command.cmd:

"%WorkDrive%\Windows\System32\WDI\Logfiles"

And ran Win_Reduce_Trusted-62, selecting only Add Registry, Custom Folders, Custom Files and Custom Command.

Fab, Wub and all desktop links were allready in place since the installation.

This saved about the half of used space.

Rebooted from the W10x64_LZX.vhd, deleted the folder C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles, and made following juction:

MKLINK /J C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles F:\VHD\Logfiles   >>>   DO NOT replace it by a 0 bytes folder.

During boot the OS writes info into \Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup   >>>   Criticall for booting

This got rid of more than 30 MB.

Finally ran SwiftSearch as TI and from it deleted all remaining *.log and *.etl files.

Now after reboot, there is not any ETL file, and only a few LOG files are present in the VHD:

Spoiler

Using only 61.1 KB (62,617 bytes).

Of course the OS still makes writes to C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles but in fact the info is written outside of the VHD in F:\VHD\Logfiles, but if running Clean_All-Full.cmd, Clean+Reboot.cmd or Clean+Shutdown.cmd all files into F:\VHD\Logfiles are deleted immediatelly.

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• MinWin.png

• wimb likes this

#74 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 12 March 2022 - 12:02 PM

Forgot to mention I also made some little changes in the Clean*.cmd files, standard desktop links and TI desktop links are still the same.

Attached new Utilities-v5.0.7z   Password = alacran

alacran

Attached Files

• wimb likes this

#75 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 12 March 2022 - 12:29 PM

Well, I was thinking all the additional space used for the modded SySWoW.txt is about 45 MB, and the reduction of ETL and LOG files, excluding the writes to the external junctioned location is about 60+ MB, then we can say even with a biger SySWoW folder, now we are able to make a MinWin a little smaller, but with a few more x86 support.

It is good this reduction in size pays for the additional space used for the modded SySWoW.txt

alacran

• wimb likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users