project

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:30 AM

Posted Image

File Name: UXP
File Submitter: Nuno Brito
File Submitted: 20 Aug 2011
File Updated: 20 Aug 2011
File Category: Projects

uxp

This project will create a customized multiboot XP Install DVD that can be used to install Windows XP or run it directly from a CD without installing.

Steps that were automated:
  • Copy all files from a Windows Source onto to a target folder
  • Add BCDW to be used a multiboot manager
  • Create in unattended mode a 5Mb sized WinRoot project and add to target folder
  • Create in unattended mode a full sized 300Mb LiveXP project and add to target folder
  • Process nLite addons found inside a sub-folder and attach them to a nLite profile
  • Process WUD (Windows Updates Downloader) update files and attach them to the nLite profile
  • Launch unattended nLite and customize the Windows source found on the target folder
  • Launch DriverPacks and silently add all selected driverpacks inside the target folder windows folder.
  • Create a ISO with mkisofs
  • Launch this ISO image with VirtualBox
  • Burn ISO image on DVD
Requirements:
  • nLite is not included and should be installed on your computer before running this project
  • Spaces in path name are not fully supported - use a simple path like "c:\uxp" for example
  • You need a maximum of 4Gb disk space free on disk.
  • Windows XP SP2 PRO Install CD or files copied to a folder on disk

Click here to download this file

#2 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Dear sir,
I would like to thank You for this project. It is excellent system administrators present. The best think is, that You have been included The technology to add drivers from driverpacks.net and, and this is best, You have managed The project by The way, that Windows operating system can automatically detect all devices and install The necessary drivers. So user can automatically install Windows to The computer and user do not have to install drivers for sound carts, scanners and other included devices manually. Unfortunately, The algorithm for creating .iso file included inside this project is producing nonreliable .iso content. 7-zip test .iso is annoucing, that some files are having wrong CRC. This issue is not causing problems during installation or booting The project.

My idea. What about writing Article how to place The project on bootable USB stick? I do not have to boot Partimage from bootable USB stick. I would like to use only Windows XP installation choice. while booting from USB stick. My older computer is not having DVD drive. I think, that while using Universal USB installer, using use non listing .iso image, creating syslinux.cfg by specifiing The option from bcdw.ini file?

Here are the lines, i will try to add The right parts to The syslinux.cfg produced by universal USB installer.
C: ; Boot from drive C:
I386setupldr.bin ; Microsoft Windows XP Setup

pmagicISOLINUX.BIN; Parted Magic 2.0
Rootsetupldr.bin ; WinRoot
MyXPsetupldr.bin ; LiveXP

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

Hi Janusz,

Unfortunately there is no support for this project to boot from USB. The reason is because the bcdw that allows two windows setup coexist (Windows XP install and Windows XP PE) is only supported for CD/DVD media. The author has not modified his tool to allow USB boot.

However, one possible solution is using ISOstick: http://blog.elegantinvention.com/

It is a USB stick that will emulate a CD drive based on the ISO images present on the USB disk itself. One other solution is changing the boot loader and perhaps rewriting the Windows files to allow multiple XP installs to coexists but this is not permitted according to MS EULA and I lack the time to implement this solution in either case.

With my regards,
Nuno

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Or one could use grub4dos or Syslinux instead of BCDW.

ISOstick might be (in the future) a possible solution, right now it doesn't really "exists".
There is the iodd (or whatever it is called now) though, and the CDEMU:
http://reboot.pro/8944/

:cheers:
Wonko

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

Or one could use grub4dos or Syslinux instead of BCDW.

Can one use grub4dos to syslinux to boot the setupldr.bin file without need to hack this file and change the references of the I386 folder to something else?

As far as I knew, only BCDW provides this feature without need to physically change on the MS XP files.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

Can one use grub4dos to syslinux to boot the setupldr.bin file without need to hack this file and change the references of the I386 folder to something else?

As far as I knew, only BCDW provides this feature without need to physically change on the MS XP files.

From what I remember, BCDW patches files "on the fly".

with grub4dos you can mount a mem mapped floppy image and patch it before booting it or with syslinux (actually memdisk) you can mount an already patched image.

I think it is also possible to patch the file in memory with grub4dos :unsure: but I wouldn't know HOW exactly this can be done.

Or you can have an additional setupldr.bin (patched).

:cheers:
Wonko

#7 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Patching on the fly is possible with grub4dos.

Some examples:
title WXPE and WINNT.XPE

map --mem /WXPE/SETUPLDR.BIN (rd)

cat --locate=I386 --replace=WXPE (rd)+1

cat --locate=WINNT.SIF --replace=WINNT.XPE (rd)+1

chainloader (rd)+1

root ()

http://reboot.pro/9718/
title Win7 cc7PE

### Map w7boot into Mem for LivePatching

map --mem /w7boot (rd)

### Patch CRC Check w7boot

write --offset=0xE28 (rd)+1 xEBx08

### write unicode boot

write --offset=0x54B5C (rd)+1 x00bx00ox00ox00tx00x00cx00cx007x00

chainloader (rd)+1

root ()
http://reboot.pro/16004/

• Brito likes this

#8 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

manu described "Breakthrough in grub4dos development" in 2009.
http://reboot.pro/9718/
  • Brito likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users