Photo

What are the most useful tool apps for working directly on/with Android?

apps .apk

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:05 AM

Hello,

I am interested to know what others here use to tweak, tune, etc. the Android OS itself with.

with less than a couple of weeks experience with android I could use some suggestions but here is what I have so far:

my most used app up to now is ES File Explorer and next is Autorun Manager then AppGuard. I am just getting familiar with these but the others I have but dont know very well yet are:

Titanium Backup
DroidWall
SuperUser
Secure Settings
Terminal Emulator
GooManager
OS Monitor
ROM Manager
Root Explorer
ES Task Manager
RebootManager
BusyBox Pro
Easy APP2SD
Nandroid Manager

some of these are redundant but that is because I am still trying to determine which are the best for my usage.

Im not actually sure if all of these are even compatible with my device, they all installed OK but Im very careful using them until I get a solid back up strategy working.

anyway, please let us know what tools you use most.

thanks
  • Brito likes this

#2 Nitro_123

Nitro_123
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

One tool that I use a lot is Greenify. If you really want to tweak you should root your phone and run a custom ROM and kernel :)
What phone are you using ? That should help with a few things :) I use a Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000

• Brito likes this

#3 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:K-Mart-ian Legend
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

I have used Astro File Manager to get OS related files off my phone before. I know it can be used to copy apps from the phone to a computer.

#4 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:34 AM

I've just found probably one of the best apps you can get! most here are probably familiar with the absolutely brilliant creation "PLOP" which allows one to boot from USB on PCs whos BIOS does not support USB booting and made by a fellow reboot.pro member to top it off!

Elmar has a couple of apps for android available:
http://www.plop.at/en/android.html

permission remover and DLAIN. I cant wait to try these out! security is a high priority so thanks to Elmar we can control permissions on all these other apps.

One tool that I use a lot is Greenify. If you really want to tweak you should root your phone and run a custom ROM and kernel :)
What phone are you using ? That should help with a few things :) I use a Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000

hi Nitro_123,
Im just getting my feet wet with android on an obscure chinese tablet that was too cheap to ignore. I mainly bought it to learn more about the android OS.

is now rooted and will be doing a custom ROM asap that will focus on security. once I learn full control of all android functions then I then I might be comfortable using a phone/device with it, we shall see! I also want to learn dual booting on these devices with other linux flavors too.

BTW, do these phones still work like a tablet does when one does not have a contract for phone service? in other words, could one buy a phone device only for the device without buying a phone service?

I have used Astro File Manager to get OS related files off my phone before. I know it can be used to copy apps from the phone to a computer.

hi Tripredacus, that sounds like a good one too. will check it out! thanks

now that I think about it, surely there are other members/devs here that have made apps also? if so then let us know!

#5 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

ES File Explorer

SuperSU

TWRP Recovery

#6 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

Take a look to this http://reboot.pro/to...ks/#entry180267

Apps for rooted devices

Or go to direct link: http://www.tomsguide...droid-apps.html

Added direct link

Edited by alacran, 08 December 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#7 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Take a look to this http://reboot.pro/to...ks/#entry180267

Apps for rooted devices

A post with a link specifically to go to another post with a link? Seriously?

• pscEx likes this

#8 NonZenon

NonZenon
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:01 AM

Paragon drivers for NTFS&HFS+ + Usb Host Controller  - finally we can stub a lil green beast with USB stick or make use of SD NTFS/HFS+ partitions. I've been waiting for that to happen

#9 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

A post with a link specifically to go to another post with a link? Seriously?

I know it is not the best way but I made the linked post first, then in order to don't double post (which could be considered Spam), just posted here a link to the initial post. Please forgive me; I hope you didn’t get a broken finger for that terrible effort of clicking twice (just joking).

A direct link has been added to post No. 6

Best Regards

#10 Nitro_123

Nitro_123
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

Another good app is Airdroid 
P.S. Why can't I edit my posts :( Is this not allowed by this Forum ? 

#11 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:08 AM

The Xposed Framework and apps seems promising: http://repo.xposed.i...posed.installer XDA Thread here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1574401

specifically the XPrivacy module but Boot Manager and ReciverStop also and there are some functions that this framework allows that would otherwise only be possible with a custom ROM or modified .apk so check it out!

Another good app is Airdroid
P.S. Why can't I edit my posts :( Is this not allowed by this Forum ?

unless something has changed you should be able to edit. double check at the lower right corner of your post you want to edit. you should see report & edit buttons just to the left of the quote button but they are very faint until mouseover.

#12 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:11 AM

Paragon drivers for NTFS&HFS+ + Usb Host Controller - finally we can stub a lil green beast with USB stick or make use of SD NTFS/HFS+ partitions. I've been waiting for that to happen

hi NonZenon, this look very useful indeed! thanks

#13 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:15 AM

Paragon says in their web site it can read and write exFat too, I have it about a week ago but haven't installed it, at Google store some people say it doesn't work with exFat, as my device can read an write NTFS and at least can read exFat I don't want to install it until I'm sure it is not going to misconfigure some thing because almost all of my USB sticks are exFat formated.

Please any info about it's exFat capability from some one who has it installed will be appreciated.

#14 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

@ alacran

Reading between the lines I think you may be looking for this.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1468531

#15 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

@ alacran

Reading between the lines I think you may be looking for this.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1468531

The info in your link looks pretty good, I will keep it just in case, but what I want to know is if "Paragon drivers for NTFS&HFS+ + Usb Host Controller" is cappable to read and write to exFat formated SD or USB, and I don't want to install it if not, because my tablet already read and write to NTFS and also read only from exFat, and I don't want to take the risk installing another app if it is not going to improve what It already can do.

Thanks for your help.

#16 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

after spending more time trying to get a handle on this thing I will post my current most frequently used apps are.

ES File Explorer #1

Nova launcher
I like for making it easier to access other apps and functions but it doesnt work well with IceCreamSandwich or at least on my device only for JellyBean.

System_app_remover
good for removing system apps and hasnt failed to do so unlike others Ive tried.

Reboot_Manager

Terminal Emulator

Papyrus

SuperSU

those are the main ones I use right now. I havnt had the device on the net yet but when I get there I will be sure to post what apps I find most useful there too. I looked at some so called firewalls though and well, it doesnt look good. see here: http://reboot.pro/to...e-firewall-app/

also need to mention Vplayer since that seems to be the best video player that plays everything Ive tried so far.

those are really all I have so far that I include in each "build". the tool I use more than anything is ClockWorkMod Recovery but thats not an app. its a alternative recovery partition deal and in my case with this device there was no recovery option at all.

it took some time finding and getting it working on this device also but for the more popular hardward it should be readily available with an easy install procedure unlike what I had to go through LOL but I learned a lot from it. closest thing to a dual boot I have managed so far (still working on that) I can boot ICS or JB and different versions of each with it but I just have to reflash each one between boots but CWM makes it pretty painless.

Ive found an Ubuntu Touch OS made for hardware very similar to this (same chipset) so that is something I want to get figured out but right now the touch screen doesnt work when I install it on this device and its so uncommon I think it will be upto me to get that working if I decide to risk it. really easy to make it a paper weight when experimenting with this stuff! may go to the network portion of this study next instead but dual booting Android/Ubuntu would be a reboot worthy topic. even better if I can multi boot it adding PlopLinux in that mix (If/when Elmar comes though with ARM support)

anyway, thats my Android report for this (?week, month) will post back more as I have a chance to make more progress.

#17 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:52 AM

just checking in with my latest finds.

Im now running Android fork Cyanogenmod 10.1
this has Privacy Guard feature and much more other stuff that makes it better than JellyBean or KitKat but it uses the same apps.

Xposed framework is great! and one of the modules available is Xprivacy which provides the most comprehensive control of network data Ive found yet. I am still learning how to use this.

other notable xposed modules are:
bootmanager, minminguard, xmultiwindow, & gravitybox but there are many others!

current notable "standard" apps worth mentioning:

BetterBatteryStats. you will not find a more comprehensive battery monitor! this app is for developers mainly but it does provide very very detailed data. more than you can imagine actually.

NinjaMorph, allows you to modify and replace system files. I used it to change the black mouse cursor to a white one.

WifiAnalyzer, very good for testing wifi routers range.

QuickOffice, havnt used it much but seems to have all the basic tools for documents and spreadsheets if needed.

the most customizable browser by far that Ive found is:

Opera Labs, Opera Mobile version 12.00 build-1203300859

very specific to this build because it has custom preferences available (enter opera:config in URL bar) opera add-ons (extensions) work in this one. both flash and HTML5 support.

Im still tweeking and testing with it but just finding a browesr for android that you can even do this with is difficult and this one offers the most in this area out of all the many Ive looked at.

sorry for not adding links but a decent search engine should do it for you but if not just ask!

#18 NonZenon

NonZenon
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

It's kinda weird nobody mentioned TOR for Android - am I missing something, or is the subj not worthy? 

#19 NonZenon

NonZenon
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Elmar has a couple of apps for android available:
http://www.plop.at/en/android.html

Hi Zoso, 

now that is awesome! Thank you for sharing this! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apps, .apk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users