#1 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

Interesting! Any here used the service?

https://gizmodo.com/...s-mo-1836005672

Ebooks Purchased From Microsoft Will Be Deleted This Month Because You Don't Really Own Anything Anymore

Anyone who bought ebooks through the Microsoft Store is in for a rude shock in the coming days. The good news? You can get a refund. The bad news? All of your books are going to be deleted this month.

Microsoft announced in April that it would stop selling ebooks and that any books the company already sold would stop working in early July because the DRM servers were being shut off. Yes, you read that correctly. Those books that you “bought” are going to disappear. Even the “free” books that you downloaded through Microsoft will be deleted.

#2 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:44 PM

This is only another thing that demonstrate their store is a total failure. It is cheaper to return the money than the cost of the servers.

#3 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3041 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:03 PM

This is mainly why I never was a big fan of DRM...

Your online service goes away and you lose it all.

Same apply to Amazon, etc ...

Although one may argue that Amazon is unlikely to cease their kindle service (really?) but still, Amazon can do pretty much what they want with your books.

Another one could also argue that if you read the contract closely, it is there documented and you actually signed it with your blood... and that one would probably be right :) (damn...).

I am a big fan of ebooks, use a french ereader (bookeen) not affiliated to any GAFA and manage all my books locally and I am a very happy reader !

#4 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:28 AM

muahahaha.. happy DRM !.. the DRM-Servers be shuted down, as I have read, anywhere.

ah ja, there :

in german : https://winfuture.de/news,109815.html

https://support.micr...osoft-store-faq

https://www.theverge...tal-books-store

https://www.wired.co...apocalypse-drm/

and so on, where can works with Google seach (or duckduck)

is in clear advantage ..

DRM ..=>.. bullschit ..

best regards

Blacky

#5 GabF

GabF

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:03 PM

Pheww, this does not concern microsoftpressstore.com... Were it otherwise it wouldn't be the end of the world, since those e-books are DRM-free, but it would still be an hassle to check I already downloaded the last versions of everything and a pity to not have the ability to get newer MS e-books.

I'm looking forward for the day the Kindle servers shut down.

I spent thousands of dollars on e-books but only 50 on DRM ones, 40 of which I had to get refunded because the book was unreadable on the only supported reader (all the tables were rotated but Adobe DE didn't support rotating the view).

Edited by GabF, 09 July 2019 - 08:03 PM.

#6 popoof22

popoof22

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 127 posts
  •  
    Tajikstan

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:53 PM

Micorosft a disaster ever since 2015

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:59 PM

This is just ridiculous, I have purchased only a few books from Microsoft but I haven't finished any of them. 

Why?

You were too busy writing essays? :unsure:

:duff:

Wonko

#8 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

Ha, serves you people right, for being foolish enough to buy DRM-laden ebooks from anywhere. At least they are offering a refund, if not then I would consider what they're doing as fraud (revoking access to a product you've bought, without providing access to or compensation for the content). I only download my ebooks from sources that either already removed the DRM or never had it to begin with, preferably in plain old PDF (or epub/mobi if a PDF isn't available). If the copyright holders are going to load their writings up with crap then i wont buy. Arrr! Although I don't mind buying digital products that don't have DRM.

It's about time they shut down the Windows Store anyway, it is a total failure just like their most recent incarnation of Windows for phones. They have a lot of good high end PC games on the store, but I won't pay, I would much rather buy from a reputable platform like Steam (which I consider to be DRM, but it is minimal and unobtrusive, and therefore mostly acceptable in my book).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users