122 replies to this topic

#51 Erik_FL

Erik_FL

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Somehow the 2% was changed to 3%, now changed back to the correct 2% as below...

If,%pCheckBox2%,Equal,True,Add_Shortcut,Desktop,,,,,"Dont_Eject","%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\%ProgramICO%"

ALL Working now.

That was my fault :chair:

I am using a slightly different script than you, so my checkbox is numbered 3. Your checkbox is numbered 2. I'm glad that you got it working.

#52 Mikka

Mikka

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 175 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Essentially it seems to indicate your script is corrupted.

Strange indeed. But you were right, I guess it was due the fact that I downloaded it via FlashGet/Orbit Downloader.
Thanks, BobxT.

#53 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

Strange indeed. But you were right, I guess it was due the fact that I downloaded it via FlashGet/Orbit Downloader.
Thanks, BobxT.

Ah.. I have used both Orbit and Flashget for downloading scripts in the past myself.
In almost every case I ended up with an unusable script, although I never got your particular error message.

Since then, I download in a browser only.

Glad it worked out.
BobxT

#54 Erik_FL

Erik_FL

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

This is a bit off topic, but I'm wondering if any of you are able to use the help in the Paragon software. I only see a script of some kind on the "Help" tab, rather than the help index. I think I may have gotten it to work with earlier versions, but I don't remenber what I did exactly. It might require Windows Scripting Host or some other scripting language.

Also, Paragon has removed the detailed progress information. I was hoping to find that in the logs, but apparently the log function is not working with WinPE either.

Any suggestions or information will be appreciated.

Paragon have officially announced that they will no longer provide a Windows PE boot disc for the product. They do provide some kind of batch file for use with WAIK, but I haven't tried it to see how well it works. There is a PDF document available from Paragon that describes how to build the disc using WAIK. In the long run this might be good for those of us who build our own. Perhaps the configuration details will be better documented by Paragon.

#55 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

Hi Erik_FL,

I have noticed the same. The help system in Paragon is html based with JavaScript.
My default browser in Win7PE_Se is OperaUSB, but it is crashing now. Not sure when this started happening.

From Win7PE_SE, I can manually load the html help file in Firefox so I will do a build without Opera and with Firefox as default browser and see what happens.

BobxT

This is a bit off topic, but I'm wondering if any of you are able to use the help in the Paragon software. I only see a script of some kind on the "Help" tab, rather than the help index. I think I may have gotten it to work with earlier versions, but I don't remember what I did exactly. It might require Windows Scripting Host or some other scripting language.

Also, Paragon has removed the detailed progress information. I was hoping to find that in the logs, but apparently the log function is not working with WinPE either.

Any suggestions or information will be appreciated.

<SNIP>

#56 Erik_FL

Erik_FL

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

I found out that the help problem is another strange side effect of the "MiniNT" registry key. If I delete the "MiniNT" registry key then the help works. Paragon's official boot DVD may delete the "MiniNT" registry key. It is difficult to tell since that is a completely captive system. One can't access the command prompt.

So, I'm back to the messy batch file solution that deletes the "MiniNT" registry key before starting the program. So far that is the only way that I've gotten the program to mostly work correctly on Windows PE.

#57 Erik_FL

Erik_FL

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:22 AM

The second help problem that I found is that the Express Launcher help does not work.

I had to add a line to "ExpLauncher.ini"

HelpFile=.\..\html\Help.chm
HelpContentHide=0
HelpViewer=chmview.exe
UseEjectCD=1

Unfortunately that only fixes the help in the Express Launcher. In the advanced mode, you must still delete the "MiniNt" registry key to get the help to work.

Batch file to run program.

@ECHO OFF
reg delete hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\minint /f
start /min %SystemDrive%\Programs\HDM12\Program\launcher.exe %1
REM reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\MiniNT /ve
exit

You must pass the "Dont_Eject" parameter to the batch file, just like when running the EXE file directly.

X:\Programs\HDM12\HDM12.bat Dont_Eject

#58 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

I am trying to get a clean running Backup and Recovery 2012 on my Win7 PE image and am seeing the following problems. I'd be interested if anyone else has these symptoms or if anyone has some possible suggestions for fixing this.
Posted Image

I can use the program, but at certain times, the message box above appears.

Additional issues:

Posted Image

#59 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

Something missing from your pe build causing the refresh problem . Not sure what, tho.

Did you make your own pe, or is it from a project ?

Help issue - I always remove the help files as I don't need them - saves a lot of space.

However, I think others who do keep the help files haven't resolved that one yet.

#60 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I built my own with MAKE_PE3. You are right though, no need to keep the help files. HTML doesn't work when launched from inside the BR app, but there's no problem when viewing the help files with IE8. That's something I can live with.

The Resfresh operation failed happens when schedule_launch.exe is executed by BR. I renamed it and the message no longer appears. I may not have all the files and reg entries for the Task Scheduler in my PE and the exe is choking because of that. I'd rather fix my PE, but the rename is a quick and dirty for now. Do you see a Task Scheduler in your PE when you run Computer Management?

Do you have the missing Archives Tab symptom in your PE? I would like to have this so I can select what I want from a local archdb without having to go look for it to do a restore.

#61 Erik_FL

Erik_FL

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

The Paragon software may work better if you delete this registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\minint

You can test that by deleting the key using the registry editor before you start the program.

I created a batch file to delete the registry key and launch the program. Put the batch file in the "program" foldeer with "launcher.exe".

@ECHO OFF
reg delete hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\minint /f
start /min launcher.exe %1
REM reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\MiniNT /ve
exit

So far as I can tell, Paragon has made changes to the program to run in a Windows PE environment, but then later decided not to use those changes. So, if the "MiniNt" registry key is defined, the program does not work correctly. I believe that Paragon's own boot CD deletes that registry key.

You may also have better results running the entire program from a RAM disk. If you're using WinBuilder, select the options to boot from RAM disk, and to put all programs in RAM disk. There are a number of "INI" files that you can edit to change things such as log file paths, but unfortunately they are un-documented.

I have purchased the "professional" version of the Hard Disk Manager many times, and am getting frustrated because each new version works worse on Windows PE. Paragon has provided no support for Windows PE and very little support for other problems.

I am still using the 2010 version of the software. It provides a lot more details about what the program is doing, transfer rates, progress and compression. All of that was removed in the 2011 and 2012 versions because it was sometimes incorrect. You may want to try the software from 2010 to see if it works better for you.

#62 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

The MiniNT key does not exist on my PE system. I have a paid version of HDM10 Suite and I'm considering using that instead. I wanted to test 2012 Free because I have a backup that is not compatible with 10 from someone and I wanted to mount it , but that doesn't seem possible without having the archive available.

Do you see all the tabs with HDM10 on your system? I'm not concerned about help not working. I will most likely delete the help files to save space.

Edited by adric, 15 July 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#63 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

@ Adric

From memory I don't think the archive search works from pe - not even in the official paragon iso downloads they used to do. I will check that when I get time.

@Eric

I put the help files in my pe build to test.

It works fine. I don't do any deleting of registry keys.

I added the paragon "html" folder into the "resource" folder - one of the files in the "html" folder is Help.chm

The explauncher.ini and settings.xml need to point at the location of Help.chm

Like this:

explauncher.ini :

[apps]
AppName=Paragon Hard Disk Manager™ 12 SIW2 Custom
AppIconPath=PSG.png

HelpFile=...htmlHelp.chm
HelpContentHide=0
UseEjectCD=0

Edited by SIW2, 15 July 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#64 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

If you have Pargon in pe, you may as well use Paragon chmview.exe for all your .chm files - instead of xchm.exe

Very easy to do.

I just add these reg entries:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClasseschm.file]
@="Compiled HTML help"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClasseschm.fileshellopencommand]
@="X:Program FilesPARprogramchmview.exe "%1""

You will need to adjust the path to point at wherever your chmview.exe is.

Edited by SIW2, 15 July 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#65 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

@SWI2

How did you build your PE?. It would be interesting to know what files or reg entries that I might be missing. I have not had any real problems with my PE. I have one symptom that has me stumped though. I have Fastone Capture installed and it works well except for the fact that when I take a screen capture the first, it takes the editor screen almost 1.5 minutes to appear. After that, any time I do a capture, there are no delays at all. Only if I restart Fastone on the first capture.

Edited by adric, 15 July 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#66 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

I built it by hand.

Putting together what i got from other people all around the net - some recent additions I found out from Max ( how to use psexec ) and from Chris I found out about gfxmenu - I didn't know about that before.

Mostly by trial and error and guesswork.

I use the stunning pecmd as the cmdline .

None of that is connected with your issue- I came across it my earler builds.

I don't know what I did to fix it.

You might take a look at my pe file list and see if you can spot anything there, or it might be in the registry.

I will post them up for you when I get a moment.

#67 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

I built it by hand.
You might take a look at my pe file list and see if you can spot anything there, or it might be in the registry.

I will post them up for you when I get a moment.

Sounds good. I really appreciate that. Maybe that will ge me further.

Thanks, Al

#68 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=B0A22789320E3247&id=B0A22789320E3247!320

new.7z

#69 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thanks SIW2, I'll see if I find anything. If not, I may want to try your method of building the PE. I took the lazy way out and let Make_PE3 do most of the work for me, but it seems I'm still missing a few things. Do you have a cmd to do your build or is it more complicated?

Edited by adric, 16 July 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#70 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

I haven't got a cmd of any kind - just built it up as I went along.

You should be able to reconstruct it from that - fle list is in dirinfo.txt.

You will need pecmd and pecmd.ini

will post those at the same link.

Edited by SIW2, 16 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#71 Erik_FL

Erik_FL

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

https://skydrive.liv...789320E3247!320

new.7z

Thanks for the information. I am particularly interested in the contents of the "ini" files and "xml" files for the Paragon Software. Would you be willing to post them or provide downloads of those files?

The help problem is strange, because the help tab in the program is not running the JavaScript. It seems like it can't find the JavaScript interpreter or some part of QT that handles the scripting. I've tried moving DLLs around and editing the various INI or XML files. So far only removing the "MiniNT" registry key fixes the problem. I'm using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 Professional. I also get the same results using a copy of the files from the Paragon supplied boot DVD. I can't tell if the boot DVD has "MiniNT" defined or not, since I can't run a command prompt or any other programs.

Paragon is actually who told me to delete the "MiniNT" registry key. When version HDM 2010 PRO came out they told me to delete that key when I could not get the program to run (it just would hang). I later found out that I could use the "Dont_Eject" parameter and work around the program hang. The program hang is caused by the fact that Paragon's software does a CD eject if "MiniNT" is defined. If I run the programs from the boot CD, then the CD ejects while the program is loading and the program hangs. Adding "Dont_Eject" as a parameter to "launcher.exe" solves the hang problem. After that I also noticed the help would not work unless I removed the "MiniNT" key.

I'm thinking that the "MiniNT" key changes some default paths for files in Paragon's software. The trouble is that there are a lot of empty or missing parameters in the INI and XML files. The files are not documented by Paragon. I've discovered some of them by looking at files on the Paragon boot DVD. Others have been posted by people, though I don't know where they found the information.

If you have a Windows PE system it should normally have "MiniNT" defined. That key is defined because of a boot manager parameter "/minint". Among other things, having the "MiniNT" key makes the SYSTEM registry hive temporary. Changes to the SYSTEM hive are not saved when "MiniNT" is defined during booting.

How Paragon's sofware uses "MiniNT" is a mystery to me. Surely Microsoft did not intend programs to test for "MiniNT" to be absent on a Windows PE system. If anything, programs should expect MiniNT to be defined in Windows PE. This doesn't appear to be an intentional attempt by Paragon to cripple their software on Windows PE, because it behaves too inconsistently. It doesn't cripple major features of the program and seems to work differently on different Paragon software.

I guess I should mention that most of my testing has been done on Windows XP PE. I am just starting to use Windows 7 PE. Some of my computers have only 512MB of RAM. Also, I have not figured out how to install a Windows 7 PE system to the hard disk unless it boots from RAM. Most of my computers don't have enough RAM to boot from a RAM disk. I am looking for a batch file or some other way to install Windows 7 PE (files) to a hard disk partition.

#72 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

I haven't got a cmd of any kind - just built it up as I went along.

You should be able to reconstruct it from that - fle list is in dirinfo.txt.

You will need pecmd and pecmd.ini

will post those at the same link.

Let me know when you post those two files. I do not see them as of yet. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with PECMD and I'll need some guidance on when and how to use it. What happens when you execute it against the .ini file?

So many questions .. sorry

Edited by adric, 16 July 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#73 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Will be there in 5 mins.

PAR.7Z is for Eric.

Express launcher also includes starting windows command prompt and notepad as examples how to do that.

Pecmd.7z is for Adric.

pecmd is set up as cmdline by changing the reg entry in the pe build system hive like this ( if you called your loaded system hive PE_SYS)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEPE_SYSSetup]
"CmdLine"="PECMD.EXE MAIN %Windir%system32PECMD.INI"

If you are using my reg entries - that is already done.

pecmd .ini is already in there. It will work as it is - but you may want to point the shortcuts and startup picture at whatever you have in your build.

Look in pecmd .ini it is very obvious how to do that.

Edited by SIW2, 16 July 2012 - 09:53 PM.

#74 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

I got the PECMD.7z, but I'm not sure what to do with the folders you included. Can you give me some instructions to follow
to build a new .wim so I can implement what you sent me. I need to know which wim (winre or boot) to start with and the
steps that are needed to make the new wim after it's been mounted. I assume the folders you sent need to be copied
to the wim, but what about reg changes etc. I hope I'm not asking too much. If you don't have the time, I can understand.
Thanks for the help so far..

Edited by adric, 16 July 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#75 SIW2

SIW2

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

I didn't do it this way - but it should work if you mount boot.wim image2 - it must be sp1x86

delete system32/config and winpeshl.ini and winload.exe and winsxs folder from your mounted folder.

Put config you have already from new.7z into your mounted system32

put in all from pecmd.7z.

Run FILE-batch.cmd to get the other files from your HD - ( only if you are running win7x86SP1 ) then copy those into your mounted folder.

FILE-batch.7z is at the same link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users