Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Dhilip89, thanks a lot for your work.

I patched my Win 7 x32 (starter) installation, and it's succesfully boots from USB HDD.

But, when I cloning this bootable partition (by Acronis) to 16Gb USB stick (transcend), I'm getting BSOD 0000007b at several seconds after booting begins. Tried to disable swapping and forced to assign "HDD" type to my flash stick in BIOS, but no success.

What else I can try?

Are you cloning the partition only or you also cloned the MBR (actually just Disk Signature of the MBR is needed)?
See here (only seemingly unrelated):
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=22984

:cheers:
Wonko

#202 chaotist

chaotist
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

My problem is a bit deeper. Now, I tried to boot from my HDD once again, inserting it to USB-SATA container (it booted succesfully this way for first time), and it fails with same 7b error, just like my cloned USB stick. Being attached to sata, hdd booted ok. Patching program detects this Windows installation as already patched and does nothing.

So, when it sucesfully booted for first time from USB, something changed in system configuration, and made it not working.

What it can be?

#203 chaotist

chaotist
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

Succesfully resolved my problem: it was because of System Protection (LUA) enabled. After disabling it, everything is ok.

#204 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Just for clarity, System Protection creates restore points for Windows 7 and there's no need to disable it for patching. When you say LUA, do you mean UAC (User Account Control)? It's a fine idea to disable this annoyance but shouldn't prevent patching unless you don't give permission when Windows asks. Are you referring to a Limited User Account issue? This I can see being a problem but how would you 'disable' it? You mean you setup a different account with full privileges?

#205 chaotist

chaotist
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

I had following situation:

1. I patched clone of working W7 partition on USB stick.
2. First time It booted ok.
3. After shutdown/restart it was hanging with 7b error at boot.

Then I found, that after first boot, value for "USBSTOR" service (in CTRL SET001&2) returned to "3" from "0", preventing usbstor from starting at boot time, and me from being satisfied.
I changed "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystemEnableLUA" to 0, and problem gone away. Now my USB stick boots W7 as many times, as it is nedeed.

#206 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

This is good to know, thanks for testing and fix :)

I haven't seen this issue, I guess because I always disable UAC; I'm surprised the reg patch isn't included in PWBoot code.

#207 grzesiekgs

grzesiekgs
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

I tried NT 6.x fast installer before, it wasnt working (got stuck on BSOD 0x7b not found any working solution) so I tried this one.
Installed it, its working (no more BSOD) BUT if I will not unplug all other USB devices then I`m getting stuck at "loading system", if I will unplug all USB devices then I`m not able to pass system configuration (pc name, account name etc.)
Anyone has some solution?

#208 larophel

larophel
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Colombia

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

I have used this great tool and it allowed me to boot Windows 7 from an external USB 2.0 HD.
However, if I try and plug in the same HD to my USB 3.0 port, Windows does not start.
Instead, it seems to show a blue screen (not sure, it flashes by very quickly) and then reboots.

Any hints on how to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

#209 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

I would guess that Win7 does not have USB 3 mass storage drivers. Either add the drivers or try Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Windows to Go).

#210 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

There are a couple of threads about USB 3.0 drivers added to Windows 7 based PE, maybe you can get something useful from them:
http://reboot.pro/16769/
http://reboot.pro/12974/
Additionally, see this:
http://reboot.pro/10...250#entry135380

Wonko

#211 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

I would guess that Win7 does not have USB 3 mass storage drivers. Either add the drivers or try Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Windows to Go).

Is that the case only with Win 7 PEs or even with normal Win 7 x 64 Installs? Have these USB3 drivers come out after SP1? How/ where to get and install them?

Also, I've seen & experienced how USB 3.0 external HDDs worked faster & better than USB 2.0 externals even with my older USB 2.0 Machine. So, I am curious to know how much faster/ better it can get even on USB 2.0 Hardware with USB 3 drivers and USB 3 external drives.

#212 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

Win 7 installs use WinPE. In any case USB 3 drivers are not in WinPE or Win 7. So Win 7 installs from a USB stick in a USB 3 port will fail (the WinPE won't be able to find the sourcesinstall.wim file and report DVD not found).

#213 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

In that way can I use windows on any computer that has at least 1GB of RAM?

#214 PhillipSreellip

PhillipSreellip
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hi guys,

The project looks graet and I wanted to install Win7 with SP1 on Adata USB HDD. This is the result:
1.Installed with default options - OK
2. Booted for first time, setting language timezone etc. then reboot - OK
3. System starts to boot again and after waiting for about 1 min at loading screen "Starting Windows" I get a BSOD and system reboots.
4. In safe mode boot fails at disk.sys file

This happens on all 3 computers i checked it, no matter what port i use, no other devices are connected by USB.

Please help in finding some solution to my problem.

#215 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

The project looks graet and I wanted to install Win7 with SP1 on Adata USB HDD. This is the result:

Check if anything here applies/helps:
http://reboot.pro/14186/

Wonko

#216 PhillipSreellip

PhillipSreellip
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Check if anything here applies/helps:
http://reboot.pro/14186/

Wonko

Hi I tried Cdob's batch but I can't get it to working:

• Boot your PC "normally" from internal HD - OK
  • Insert the USB stick containing the USB based 7 that doesn't boot from USB anymore because of the 0x0000007b BSOD caused by the update - OK
  • check that the USB drive containing Windows directory gets letter U: - OK
  • open a command prompt, navigate to where you put the set_7_usb_boot.cmd - OK
  • type:
  • set_7_usb_boot.cmd U:windows - OK
  • press [ENTER]- OK
  • i receive display: "Path to your SystemRoot folder on usb drive (e:Windows):"
  • whatever i type here i receive "Error: target not found"

#217 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

6. set_7_usb_boot.cmd U:windows - OK

Which drive letter does your USB stick get? :dubbio:

pushd %~dp0

rem set_7_usb_boot.cmd
rem created by cdob
echo prepare offline windows 7 registry, set USB boot drivers &echo.

set System_Root=Windows
if not %1.==. set System_Root=%1

if not exist "%System_Root%system32configsystem" set /P System_Root=Path to your SystemRoot folder on usb drive (e:Windows):
if not exist "%System_Root%system32configsystem" (echo Error: target not found &pause &popd &goto :eof)

The batch tries to find in the path you gave on command line the file system32configsystem , if it doesn't find it tries to have you type the "right" path.
If it cannot find that same file in the "new" path you provided, then it exits.

Try copying the batch to the root of the USB stick, and run it with NO parameters.

Wonko

#218 Navigator

Navigator
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

@Dhilip89 and to everyone who make this project possible thanks and congrats.

It works on my USB HDD WD 250 GB. First partition(active) utilities, os installer and rescue cd, Second partition Data files and Documents, 3rd partition Portable window 7 patched by PWBoot Created by VMw@re, Partition 4,5&6 Ubuntu.
Tried and tested in two macchines my old box is amd 64 and with Vaio i5 works great with no problem.
Keep up the great work. :cheerleader: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :clap: :yess:

Navi

#219 PhillipSreellip

PhillipSreellip
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Ok the problem with patch was that i just simply needed to start it as administrator.
And it seems it worked, but not fully:
- at first boot this time no windows settings first - he went strait to windows (no BSOD) but then it asks me username and password???? and typing nothing doesn't work
what username and password could it set? i didn't even see the screen with setting users and rest of setup time zone etc.

I'll try reinstalling it, then i will run it for first time to set no user and no password and then patch it and boot again, we will see.

Also, i'm using adata usb hdd by USB 2.0 and it boots for like 8 minutes time. Its normal? or a little long even for external

Edited by PhillipSreellip, 11 September 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#220 PhillipSreellip

PhillipSreellip
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

I reinstalled it once again, then set the username after first boot, then patched with cdob's file, and then it boots but VERY slowly and ends up like this:
rebooted three times, no change.
Posted Image

#221 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Those you describe are "strange" symptoms and seemingly unrelated to either the PWboot or the USB boot fixes.
You are either doing "strange" things when performing the "base" install or you have "strange" hardware or you have a "strange" Windows 7 source (maybe Polish or "mixed" English/Polish?).

Try doing another thing, set aside (temporarily) this PWboot thingy and try instead the Wimb's approach here:
http://reboot.pro/9830/
(it is likely that if it doesn't work, some of the "strange" possibilities listed above is true)

Wonko

#222 Navigator

Navigator
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Install Windows Normal and VHD workd like a charm. Patching external it cannot see one of the test install Win XP in third internal Disk, second partition. Second partition is active..Booted the machine using the the Patched Win 7 in USB HD Third partition also cannot detect the first internal Drive with Win XP in Firts partition also the Win xp in the third internal drive @ 2nd partition.
Will do more test later for XP. This is the Easiest way to make portable Window indeed. Sorry for my bad English.

Navi

Edited by Navigator, 12 September 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#223 Navigator

Navigator
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

How exactly the software detect the OS? Hope we can add Select drive to pathced manualy then it check if has windows in it?

#224 Navigator

Navigator
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

Since Windows to go has many limitation like Store not available and it's only for Windows enterprise so I tried to apply this patched. First installed it using this app but the installation has more limitation, only explorer and desktop is on the start, Windows store is there but not clickable. So I tried to patch a normaly instaled Win 8 but it has an unnown errror.

#225 binford

binford
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

First off, I'd like to say that this is a great project. It is helping me create a computer that boots from USB so that I don't use one of my SATA ports for a boot drive (the computer primarily functions as a NAS, and I like to swap out the storage HDDs without affecting my Windows installation.)

I have created a bootable windows 7 install on a thumb drive using the new install method in the PWboot utility. Everything works perfectly except for a few things:

when the USB 3.0 thumb drive is connected to a USB 3.0 port, the system will not boot successfully (reboots during the "starting windows" screen). When the stick is attached to a USB 2.0 port, boot is successful. This is true even after I install USB 3.0 drivers in Windows. Not a huge deal though.

My second more important issue is that windows update does not function, and i think it's a permissions issue, since i receive error code 80070005. I don't mind repatching after updates, but it would be nice if the automatic (or manual) update service worked.

Other issues include non-working system restore, but i don't mind that so much.

Anyone been able to successfully use Windows update after using PWboot to create a new Windows installation on a usb drive?

Thanks for any input

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb, windows, boot, full, pwboot, vhd, patch

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users