ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 14 March 2022 - 11:03 AM

wimb,

According to this guide by Microsoft, you can disable the following services as well:
sc config "DPS" start= disabled
sc config "PimIndexMaintenanceSvc" start= disabled
sc config "SysMain" start= disabled
sc config "WSearch" start= disabled
sc config "wuauserv" start= disabled

• antonino61 likes this

#102 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 14 March 2022 - 11:05 AM

-ignore-

#103 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 March 2022 - 04:45 PM

wanna check my disabling list and feed me with ur observations?

#104 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 15 March 2022 - 06:54 PM

New version 5.2.3 was released:

Mega - MediaFire

Quote from JFX post:

Version 5.23 is up and should greatly reduce log file creation / size.

There is also a Services.ini and Tasks.ini showing how to disable or remove services and scheduled task.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#105 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 March 2022 - 07:04 AM

I guess we now have to identify the task and/or service that guarantees the full functioning of the settings panel (the modern one) and/or the control panel (the old one) if we want to do everything from the original wim to the vhd, without pre-customizing it, as we  should be able to post-customize it. sorry about the convoluted way of saying it. and don't forget we'll have to do some further adjustments anyway (svbus and the like), unless anyone sees to it any earlier than the vhd is finally created.

#106 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 March 2022 - 08:41 AM

well, I have tried the new version of winntsetup on windows 10, and, I can tell that it works, but the product is no smaller than with the previous edition. the procedure is quicker because it automates what I used to do on an a-priori basis (task and service pruning + zerobyting), and we can say that now we can adjust the txt's in remove to our needs a lot better than before, so the overall effect is that of a sensible improvement. Attaboy jfx and everybody else! higher aims ahead!

btw, one more thing, powershell functionality is not worth getting rid of if u think that it is guaranteed by just some hundred megs. me, I have commented it all out on the lists. I remember wimb having a point on this, and I now see that he was right.

#107 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 March 2022 - 09:21 AM

another question: can winreducetrusted's custom_command be inserted in miniwin's default subfolder? if it can, shall we make any changes to it?

#108 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 March 2022 - 09:59 PM

the file that promises to disable and delete services in the latest version of winntsetup actually ends up doing barely more than half the job, which is finally done by the disableservices.cmd which I posted here weeks ago, together with device remover. I do not know whether the same applies to the file that promises to disable tasks in the same subfolder. 

#109 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 April 2022 - 11:08 AM

I saw anyburn advertised in a google current affairs article. Is it of any help 2 us?

well, I downloaded and installed anyburn just to check, and ... to the best of my knowledge and belief, I do not think it does any more than we already do with winntsetup or wimboot or msgtoolkit or ntlite or the like; in fact, it seems to do much less.

#110 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 April 2022 - 08:26 PM

Well, a couple of days ago I noticed I could print ok but i could not scan at all from my canon aio on a winntsetup-reduced vhd. well, after these 2 days, I realized what was to be done to restore the scanning function:

1) tried scanning from an unreduced vhd - well, it obviously scanned ok

2) with wiaacmgr.exe still open, I ran process explorer and found the necessary dlls 

3) copied the listed files to a directory and then added them to the reduced vhd. 

4) albeit with one error message for the lack of scanning profiles, it finally did scan what it was supposed to.

ps: if u edit files in winsxs outside \remove and several files inside \remove (e.g. \windows and \windows\system32) according to the files listed and place !'s accordingly, u will have ur scan work seemlessly, with no error or glitches, which is much cleaner than the above. 

pps: and the same goes for any other exe that does not start - attaboy process explorer!!!

• wimb likes this

#111 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 22 April 2022 - 03:05 AM

New WinNTSetup v5.2.4 is available:

WinNTSetup 5.2.4

- fixed Regimport did not support multi line binary data with inline comments
- MinWin: added support for Unicode / UTF-8 text files
- MinWin: added support for subfolders
- MinWin: text files can have condition on first line to enable/disable the entire file

Source: https://msfn.org/boa...comment=1217159

Downloads:

Mega - MediaFire

alacran

• wimb and antonino61 like this

#112 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 April 2022 - 05:33 PM

well, a slight gain in space and time can be appreciated, but one obviously has to do a bit of editing to keep the reduction tailored to one's own needs. thanks to jfk, wimb and alacrán for all and ... let's not forget process explorer.

one "glitch" I have noticed, though. the driver path from the latest run, on the first page at the bottom, is not retained, whereas the last command on the setup page is. I have just noticed that the problem disappears when u deal with the same items. both paths were retained in winntsetup523, no matter on what condition.

#113 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 April 2022 - 02:05 PM

one "glitch" I have noticed, though. the driver path from the latest run, on the first page at the bottom, is not retained, whereas the last command on the setup page is. I have just noticed that the problem disappears when u deal with the same items. both paths were retained in winntsetup523, no matter on what condition.

well, actually, the above problem ... has never existed - If u run winntsetup524 for a 2nd time from the same vhd, it will definitely retain the path, we cannot expect it to do the same on a vhd where winntsetup524 has never be run before, so no prob.

#114 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:52 PM

well, I have just found out that \windows\servicing and \windows\Systemtemp can be entirely deleted, with no apparent hindrance to the functioning of the system SO FAR - I am obviously alluding to windows11, but I am going to try deleting the earlier subfolder from windows 10 as well and will let u know in a bit.

#115 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 15 May 2022 - 05:17 AM

well, I have just found out that \windows\servicing and \windows\Systemtemp can be entirely deleted, with no apparent hindrance to the functioning of the system SO FAR - I am obviously alluding to windows11, but I am going to try deleting the earlier subfolder from windows 10 as well and will let u know in a bit.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to remove the Windows\Servicing folder.

The TrustedInstaller.exe file is in there, and it's pretty important.

#116 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 May 2022 - 04:43 PM

What can u not do without trustedinstaller.exe?

#117 sakatgg

sakatgg
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 27 May 2022 - 04:46 PM

Tell me, if the method is in MinWin mode, do not clear the WinSxS folder? She needs to stay intact.
How to edit WinSxS.ini?
Cleaning Win7 x86 Enterprise 6.1.7601.17514.

If possible, make WinSxS.ini, list at this link https://pastebin.com/U6HcWiHC

Thanks

#118 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 May 2022 - 06:14 PM

@sakatgg

i do not know whether urs is an answer or a question. anyway, winsxs.ini does not need to stay intact for less-space's sake, but the one u find in  \Winntsetup524\Tools\MinWin\Default is adjusted to win10's and win11's requirements. as for win7's requirements, u might try editing it, or else contact jfx or try wimb's win_reduce_trusted (u might as well contact wimb himself if u can't get around to it or if u r not sure whether it is tailored for win7 as well, I guess). 

#119 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 July 2022 - 07:00 PM

here are two pictures listing some other \windows and \windows\system32 subfolders that can safely be gotten rid of. unfortunately, the deletion can be carried out only by brute force on an online vhd, either before or after applying the wim image in miniwin mode by winntsetup. the gain in free space is about 300 megs. needless to say, whatever cannot be deleted should be left undeleted.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 2.png
  • Image system32.png

#120 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 July 2022 - 03:28 PM

WinNTSetup new version 5.2.5

WinNTSetup 5.2.5

- updated ADK tools to version 22621.1
- disables DumpStack.log.tmp file creation
- disables network requirement for Windopws 11 (disconnected devices only)
- Logs are saved in \Windows\Log\WinNTSetup\%Date%_%Time%
- added NVRAM log
- added NVRAM tool: WinNTSetup_x64 NVRAM
- added CatRoot trimm tool: WinNTSetup_x64 CATTrim

Downloads: Mega - MediaFire

Hi JFX, thanks for the new version.

I will appreciate a lot a brief explanation about how to use NVRAM tool and CatRoot trim tool

After downloading the v5.25 from MediaFire and run it the first time to download required non-distributable files from MS,  I was able to find \WinNTSetup\Tools\CATTrim.ini, but I can't find anything related to NVRAM in \WinNTSetup\Tools\ folder.

alacran

Hi alacran,

just run it from command prompt:

WinNTSetup_x64.exe NVRAM

NVRAM 1.00

Usage:
NVRAM option [ID|DisplayName]
Options:

(A)dd      "full_path_to_EFI_File" "DisplayName"
 (D)el      [ID|DisplayName]
 (S)etfirst [ID|DisplayName]
 BootNe(x)t [ID|DisplayName]
 (E)num

E(n)ter UEFI on next boot

It's a command line modification of the boot entries and boot order stores in UEFI NVRAM.
Kinda a command line version of BOOTICE UEFI options.

WinNTSetup_x64.exe CATTRIM

CatTrim 1.00 - Only use with WinPE or MinWin installations!

This Will delete "non essential" catalogs in \System32\CatRoot folder!

Usage: CatTrim "Windows directory"

CatTrim will remove most catalogs in \System32\CatRoot and delete or rebuild the cached database in \System32\CatRoot2 folder.
That would be fatal for any full windows, but will save some space for a MinWin or WinPE installation.
It uses Tools\CATTrim.ini as a list of critical files and lookup what *.cat files hold their signature.

It support online or offline installations.

alacran

• ericgl and devdevadev like this

#121 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 July 2022 - 08:08 AM

I do not know about nvram, but the rest works perfectly

#122 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 29 July 2022 - 11:59 PM

Just made a new MinWin build using WinNTSetup 5.2.5

New build made with WinNTSetup 5.2.5 is working fine.  Source ISO used was Win10x64 v2004 es-MX.

Programs included in the build are:

• 7-Zip x64
  • Classic Shell (Only Start menu was applied).
  • SumatraPDF x64
  • SvBus driver (installed manually, not by SVBus_INST_Trusted-20)
  • Fab_x64
  • Wub_x64

NVRAM and CatRoot trim tools were not tested yet.

I only edited SySWoW.txt, adding 112 lines to be able to run LibreOfficePortable  and  lz4_compressor , this way all my 32 bits Portable Apps run fine in MinWin.

JFX included 4 or 5 of this lines in recent SySWoW.txt from WinNTSetup v5.25, I didn't edit the list as JFX may change anytime his SySWoW.txt, and there is no harm if some lines are repeated.

After running Win_Reduce_Trusted-62 (from Win10), only selecting items shown in attached photo.

(Note: the photo was made latter from a running Win7x64 just to show the items selected).

And followed by re-capture and re-apply using VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted-67, the used sizes in NTFS partition just installed are:

MinWin-10x64-LZX  >>>  936 MB          1.6 GB VHD, First Primary Active Partition FAT-32 100 MB, Rest NTFS

MinWin-10x64-WB  >>>  58.6 MB          512 MB VHD, First Primary Active Partition FAT-32 100 MB, Rest NTFS

MinWin-10x64.wim  Size is 840 MB

For users convenience I attached here my modded SySWoW.txt:

Modded_SySWoW.7z  Password = alacran

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• Win_Reduce_Trusted.png

Attached Files

• devdevadev likes this

#123 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 30 July 2022 - 01:54 PM

Testing CatRoot trim tool:

Running from MinWin-10x64-WB.vhd, and having mounted MinWin-10x64-LZX.vhd on drive K, from WinNTSetup_v525 folder, I opened an elevated command prompt and ran following command:

WinNTSetup_x64.exe CATTRIM "K:\Windows"

The command ran fine and it was able to delete 20.6 MB on MinWin-10x64-LZX.vhd, please see attached picture.

Rebooted from MinWin-10x64-LZX.vhd, but it didn't boot anymore, so for me CatRoot trim tool didn't work fine. tested Ramboot and Filedisk boot, and both ways it fails to boot.

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• Cattrim.png

#124 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 July 2022 - 08:13 PM

Strange, alacran, the only way cattrim did not work for me was when i did it on a non-miniwin version, whereas it worked fine right after miniwinning, on an offline basis, after having booted the miniwin; did not try it right after miniwinning, nor did i try it online straight after booting the miniwin, though.

#125 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 31 July 2022 - 12:05 AM

@ antonino61

I'm glad CatRoot trim works fine for you, but it doesn't work fine for me.

alacran

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users