Photo
- - - - -

Yet another USB booter. Try it out if you are interested.

boot loader usb

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

EDIT 2016-01-09:

Download multimbr.7z for source code and binary build. Use mbr_8G.img to write onto a 8G usb drive. Use mbr_16G.img to write onto a 16G usb drive. etc. After you have done the write, you MUST correct the partition-length field(4 bytes at offset 0x1CA) of sector number 0 and the BPB-total-number-of-sectors field (4 bytes at offset 0x20) of sector 63. You may use diskgen to automatically correct the partition-length field(4 bytes at offset 0x1CA) of sector 0. But diskgen cannot correct the BPB-total-number-of-sectors field (4 bytes at offset 0x20) of sector 63. So you may do it by hand. Both of the two fields should have the same value. After all done, you may place a menu.lst or a grldr of your preferred version in the root directory of the usb drive. If grldr exists in the root directory, it will gain control at startup. If grldr does not exist in the root directory but a menu.lst exists in the root directory, then the menu.lst will be run by the builtin grldr. The builtin grldr is from grub4dos-0.4.6a-2015-12-31.7z, that is, the latest version for now.

Attached Files

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

It seems to make an 8gb partition? What if I only have a 2GB USB drive? 

The grub4dos is very very very slow!

So the idea is that it has a hidden grldr file?

Can you explain the advantages/disadvantages and what it is pls?

#3 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

hi steve6375, I am very sorry. my english is poor and cannot explain it in detail. if possible, visit the following chinese site for detailed discussion.

http://bbs.wuyou.net...read&tid=320244

2G is no problem. Even with 64M USB drive, you may do this test. It is in an early stage of development.

copy your menu.lst into the usb drive, you may use a line of "geometry --lba127sector" at the very beginning of your menu.lst. it can speed up the usb access. EDIT: "geometry --lba127sector" is not needed any more.

reportedly, a buggy machine cannot do 127 sector EBIOS access(just hangup!), it hangs up even with 2 sectors per EBIOS read. So we have to use single sector access. The command "geometry --lba1sector [ optional device ]" will disable multi-sector-access for this device(by default, it is the current working device). In the embedded grldr, the preset-menu has a line of "geometry --lba1sector". But you may use a "geometry --lba127sector" in your external menu.lst for normal non-buggy BIOSses.

Edited by tinybit, 09 October 2016 - 02:43 AM.

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

Hi

I used VBox to test. The build you have reminds me of some of the recent chenall test builds of 0.4.5c which were also extremely slow (early jan 2014).

geometry --lba127sector  fixes the speed issue, thanks.

#5 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:09 AM

Updated. See post #1 for details.

#6 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

steve6375,

Can you post some kinda steps tutorial for it. I know its not youre work, but it seems you had success.

tinybit,

What is diskgen

#7 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

Diskgen is diskgenius, sorry, but it seems it has only Chinese version.

free download page is here :

http://www.diskgenius.cn/download.php

#8 Agent47

Agent47

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 164 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

Diskgen is diskgenius, sorry, but it seems it has only Chinese version.

free download page is here :

http://www.diskgenius.cn/download.php 

Yes, it has English version which is marketed under a different name - "PartitionGuru".

http://www.eassos.co.../PGSetup465.exe

Offtopic

tinybit , is there a Govt restriction in China to not use English to code software or build web pages ?.  I would love to see a single Chinese site which has native English port.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boot loader, usb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users