11 replies to this topic

#1 limale1

limale1
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

im not all into booting my computer because i never had good luck but now i must use it to fix my comp of asus a7m266-d comp
I already push myself over the edge with trying and trying but no luck,

this computer is server type and need to know if anyone has anything similar to booting for vista on this

because I get so confused with this or should I just loss all my files and start over.

i think not can anyone help in detail or so can anyone help me with a boot img. i want to try off an usb drive

hopefully i can get something made already cuz i spend to much time on this with windows aik

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:45 AM

Hi limale1,

Around this site you'll quickly see that most people have VistaPE images but unfortunately these cannot be shared publicly to avoid breaking the Microsoft EULA since it is not legal to share their files without permission.

However, there's hardly any need for that either since you can create your own boot disk quite quickly without hassle.

Download VistaPE from here: http://vistape.net

- Unpack all files and run winbuilder.exe
- Select the path where your Vista DVD files are found or where your WAIK is installed
- You now have a winpevista.iso image that can be customized by you.

im not all into booting my computer because i never had good luck but now i must use it to fix my comp of asus a7m266-d comp

Doesn't your Asus come with a OS recovery option on boot up? :whistling:

Maybe after you get your files it would be interesting to look into the manual and see if this option is available or not, what do you think?

because I get so confused with this or should I just loss all my files and start over.

No need to lose your files.

There is also knoppix (linux) that is capable of helping you retrieve the files from the disk onto USB, look here: http://knoppix.com/

i think not can anyone help in detail or so can anyone help me with a boot img. i want to try off an usb drive

Use the search tool on these forums, this USB boot topic has been mentioned several times before that you're bound to stumble on some tutorial that works the best for your case.

hopefully i can get something made already cuz i spend to much time on this with windows aik

Don't worry, it is time well spent if you're learning something new.

Good luck. ;)

#3 limale1

limale1
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

Hi limale1,

Around this site you'll quickly see that most people have VistaPE images but unfortunately these cannot be shared publicly to avoid breaking the Microsoft EULA since it is not legal to share their files without permission.

However, there's hardly any need for that either since you can create your own boot disk quite quickly without hassle.

Download VistaPE from here: http://vistape.net

- Unpack all files and run winbuilder.exe
- Select the path where your Vista DVD files are found or where your WAIK is installed
- You now have a winpevista.iso image that can be customized by you.

Doesn't your Asus come with a OS recovery option on boot up? :whistling:

Maybe after you get your files it would be interesting to look into the manual and see if this option is available or not, what do you think?

No need to lose your files.

There is also knoppix (linux) that is capable of helping you retrieve the files from the disk onto USB, look here: http://knoppix.com/

Use the search tool on these forums, this USB boot topic has been mentioned several times before that you're bound to stumble on some tutorial that works the best for your case.

Don't worry, it is time well spent if you're learning something new.

Good luck. ;)

#4 limale1

limale1
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

thanks for the info.....i apprecitate you taking your time

I just tried this and didn't get to use it properly as i got about 1000 errors
http://forums.slickd...d.php?p=9551797

is it 1 your dvd cd info
2 your other vista files or any other folders
3 the main path......
?????????

i think you guys are great and really want some help for my self in the future.

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:15 AM

The tutorial is fairly complete, you probably need to read with some attention to see if something was wrong on your setup.

- Disable UAC and run as Administrator
- Use a short path like d:\VistaPE
- Download VistaPE from the respective server without changing anything
- Build the first VistaPE without any modifications and only then proceed with customizations if it works.

It's usual for people to try doing everything on the first step and then not being able to debug where things go wrong so I recommend taking little steps to see if each one is well done until you get more experienced.

1000's of errors probably means that you didn't selected a correct path to your windows source files, take a look on your log file to see why it errors and try to see how it can be solved, also advise to post the log here for others to view and help you interpreting these error messages if you wish.

:whistling:

#6 limale1

limale1
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:34 AM

ok i saved log.html
now I don't know where it is.
I want to show it to u but where do I get it.

anyways in the mean while I didn't think I would get the same amount of errors
now I tried a server names vistape.net/archive ..... on my scripts download.

i used what came up as vistape multiboot v.11
and recommended on that.

I just think I got more errors because I saved it to a specific folder where I can find my iso file

I just don't know why this think winrar was updating new created files on beside the files winbuilder.exe
I think they look like this order custom. projects. target. temp. winbuilder.ini

let me know what else I should do meanwhile I try it and see if it works on my computer that doesn't support
flash drive only cd boot. and later on i'll be here back to show off my log file

thanks once again for you time

#7 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

ok i saved log.html
now I don't know where it is.
I want to show it to u but where do I get it.

Same directory as winbuilder.exe.

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

You're also using an old version which certainly doesn't help, try using beta 12 - it can be found on the frontpage of the vistape site.

#9 limale1

limale1
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:08 AM

i tried the boot and it did boot with image burner on cd rom

the only thing is that I get an error after running vistape before it even loads completely it says

info: The boot selection failed becuase required device is inaccessible

the anyone knows what happened here
looks like everything else on the cd works.

i have a similar problem after running some other programs before.

#10 limale1

limale1
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:37 AM

does the computer server i mention have anything to do with my boot problem

its running a iscsi hard drive on an adaptec adapter card.

maybe grub boot command can help me boot what do u think

#11 limale1

limale1
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:16 AM

sorry to bother but I think I got this far so far and now need to see why when i put

SAYS: Partition type for (hd0,0) is 0x7 ............. because i put............. grub> root (hd0,0)
I GET THE SAME: Partition type for (hd0,0) is 0,7 .............is if I try to use .......... grub> parttype(hd0,0)

my point is that it doesn't regonize as (hd0,1) and when I want to put....................... grub> bootloader +1
command it probably doesn't do anything cuz I got that command. Could that be right?

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

Please install VirtualBox and try running your boot disk ISO from there to see if it works good, after this step is certain to work you can proceed to worry about grub.

There have been dozens of topics made about this matter that an whole forum section was made just to keep them sorted, look here: http://www.boot-land...s/?showforum=66

You're bound to find more people and topics mentioning the exact same use you require.

Also, the forum search on grub4dos and VistaPE should also provide an extensive list of results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users