Photo

Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP, Win7PE & Portable Apps!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#326 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hello Amalux.

If you can be so nice and to give me an example of menu.lst where isnt ifexist part... Cant find it!

And about DVDs. Some DVD are burned at 2x, 3x and some of them are at 18x. Check it on my PC (Asus Z68 MoBo, 8GB RAM and SATA DVD) and on wide range of HP PCs, D530, DC7100 and it is the same problem. When tried to boot newly crated Win7PESE with old grldr, every PC what I wrote here, worked beatiful!

I am tring to find a solution and just need info about that ifexist parts...

Ok. I find something on reboot.pro about if statement but my menu.lst dont have if statement?!?!

Edited by gnikolic, 06 September 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#327 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

I gave you an example in post #302 http://reboot.pro/41...300#entry159528 (sorry if I misunderstand the question).

Burn speed has little to do with it. We're talking about the transfer rate of data from the DVD at pre-boot. It is sometimes the case that fast machines have a very slow transfer rate pre-boot, even if very fast transfer rate post boot. This can sometimes be helped by loading better drivers before transfering the image but this can't be done before loading the menu! What you're waiting on is the menu to be loaded and searched through (in RAM), using a simple menu.lst alleviates this delay.

I think you're confusing the fact that any older grldr also has a simple menu.lst along with it. The more advanced, ifexist menu.lst was only added with the newer grldr that supports it.

#328 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

My menu.lst is like this:

default 0
timeout 5
color light-blue/blue blue/white
write (md)0x220+1 !BATnecho -n -P:0000 $[0107] Ultimate Boot DVD 0 && initscript (md)0x220+1

title Boot From Hard Drive (Windows Vista/7/2008 or Xp)n
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /bootmgr || find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr || rootnoverify (hd0) && chainloader +1 && boot
map () (hd0) && map (hd0) () && map --rehook
find --set-root --devices=h /bootmgr || find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr
chainloader /bootmgr || chainloader /ntldr

title n
root

title Win7PESEn Boot Custom WinPE7SE v.082-04.08.2012.
map --mem /wimpatched (rd)
write --offset=0x654C4 (rd)+1 xB0xF4x05x00
write --offset=0x654CC (rd)+1 x3ExB5x40x24
write --offset=0x654D4 (rd)+1 x80x7Dx13x00
write --offset=0x654DC (rd)+1 x01x00x00x00
chainloader (rd)+1
root ()

title Active@ Boot Disk 6.0.0 for Windows
map --mem /wimpatched (rd)
write --offset=0x654C4 (rd)+1 x22xB8x03x00
write --offset=0x654CC (rd)+1 x46x28xD7x29
write --offset=0x654D4 (rd)+1 x90xCEx0Bx00
write --offset=0x654DC (rd)+1 x02x00x00x00
chainloader (rd)+1
root ()

Is first part of menu.lst makeing that trouble?
In your post http://reboot.pro/41...300#entry159528 is nothing about if statement or ifexist only find statement...

And why this menu.lst making trouble with newer grldr and older working just fine? Where is the error? maybe to make a simpler menu.ls...?

Best regards.
GNikolic.

Edited by gnikolic, 08 September 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#329 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

It's difficult to know what the problem is. That menu (with new grldr) loads very fast from UFD on my older/slower machines where ifexist causes delays. The problem appears to be specific to loading from DVD which is painfully slow. Since I rarely use multi-boot DVDs it's hard to know what is normal but I would avoid DVD for this reason. have you tried a similar setup from UFD?

That's right, the idea there was to give you a simple menu without ifexist search parameters.

Just to confirm something, in all cases your menu loads very fast (menu on screen) with newer or older grldr. The big delay comes (for me) when selecting an image inside the wim. Are you following instructions here: http://forum.sanbarr...c.php?f=85&t=15 Maybe it would be better to ask Joakim or JFX since they know much more about their setup.

#330 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

Does Winbuilder PE refer to PORTABLE EXECUTEABLE OR PREBOOT EXECUTION ENVIRONMENT?

#331 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

PE originally stood for Pre-installation Environment but has come to mean Portable Environment since no one only uses it for OS deployment. Also, the original PEs were limited, now they have become full fledged, portable operating systems.

#332 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

It's difficult to know what the problem is. That menu (with new grldr) loads very fast from UFD on my older/slower machines where ifexist causes delays. The problem appears to be specific to loading from DVD which is painfully slow. Since I rarely use multi-boot DVDs it's hard to know what is normal but I would avoid DVD for this reason. have you tried a similar setup from UFD?

That's right, the idea there was to give you a simple menu without ifexist search parameters.

Just to confirm something, in all cases your menu loads very fast (menu on screen) with newer or older grldr. The big delay comes (for me) when selecting an image inside the wim. Are you following instructions here: http://forum.sanbarr...c.php?f=85&t=15 Maybe it would be better to ask Joakim or JFX since they know much more about their setup.

What I did is this. Two cases.
1. In new ISO in boot folder I copy only old grldr and nothing happend. The booting from DVD is the same.
2. In old ISO with fast booting, I delete everythin but boot folder. Copied everything from new ISO except Boot folder. And voila, the booting is fast again.

Is it something else than grldr? Maybe something in boot folder?

GNikolic.

Edited by gnikolic, 15 September 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#333 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Maybe best to try to simplify the menu ?
For instance remove default statement and timeout.
Also remove color and write (md) lines.
i.e. remove anything that is not absolutely necessary and test again.
Maybe add echo statement as very first line too, so can see when it is output?

#334 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

Maybe best to try to simplify the menu ?
For instance remove default statement and timeout.
Also remove color and write (md) lines.
i.e. remove anything that is not absolutely necessary and test again.
Maybe add echo statement as very first line too, so can see when it is output?

Found it!
Default point from my menu.lst
"title Boot From Hard Drive (Windows Vista/7/2008 or Xp)n
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /bootmgr || find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr || rootnoverify (hd0) && chainloader +1 && boot
map () (hd0) && map (hd0) () && map --rehook
find --set-root --devices=h /bootmgr || find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr

chainloader /bootmgr || chainloader /ntldr"
making a trouble with booting!
This whole worm with find command is making forever loop and eventualy menu started. Thinking that older grldr doesnt support that kind of find worm command...

Never mind. Will use something simplerer...

GNikolic.

#335 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Your current menu says - 'if cannot find ntldr or bootmgr on any hard disk, then boot from the MBR of drive (hd0)', so if the system you are testing it on has no XP or NT6 OS on it, then it will boot from the hd0 drive (whatever code is on it)...and so it could just reboot back to the DVD again, etc., etc.
The rest of your current menu seems to say 'if bootmgr is found on any partition then boot from it, else if ntldr on any partition then boot from that' -so if you had a dual boot system, it would always boot from the first partition it found that had bootmgr on it (even if it had other partitions with more Vista/7 or XP OS's on them).

If you are booting from a DVD then the line
map () (hd0)
is saying map (cd) as (hd0) and map (hd0) as (cd) which seems strange??

if you boot from DVD, then you can use maybe using latest 0.4.5c chenall grub4dos (untested)

set bf=
find --devices=h /ntldr && set bf=/ntldr
find --devices=h /bootmgr && set bf=/bootmgr
if "%bf%"=="" echo Cannot find bootmgr or ntldr && pause && configfile /menu.lst
find --set-root --devices=h %bf% && echo %bf% found!
chainloader %bf%

#336 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Dear Mr Amalux,
Dear script developers, who are presented here.
I would like to have very complex programmers pleasment for You.
I have been using excellent package of system utilities, called Regtoy. Those sets of utilities are including services program, which is even able to add new services, add new drivers or even remove system services or drivers from The system registry.
My pleasment is, how complex would be to modifi Net framework script, so it would contain all registry keys and Net framework modules, which are needed by Regtoy application.

If somebody of us would try to atleast incorporate The script for services.exe, which have been created in The Regtoy folder after installation, many advanced users and system administrators would be very appreciated it.

I Am dreaming about triing to run some of those programs by using runscanner.
But this can not be reached, if Net Framework script will not contain registry values and Framework modules, which are needed by The programmer of Regtoy.

I really very like his utilities.
Unfortunately, Nirsoft serviwin can not remove services from registry, it can disable them. It is treasure, but if Regtoy utilities would be usable with runscanner and from some live PE project, it would enable users and system administrators to have full control on The host system.
It is much more secure to use program for removing services or drivers than do it by using regedit.

What do You think about my pleasment script developers?

Thank You very much for YOurs answers.

With kindness regards.
Janusz Chmiel.

#337 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

@Janus
BUt what is what you actully need?
Add a lot of bloat (.Net) to a build or having a way to:

add new services, add new drivers or even remove system services or drivers from The system registry.

Sometimes asking for the goal gives better results than asking for the tool with which you decided to reach that goal, the risk is to slip on a chocolate covered banana:
http://homepage.ntlw...red-banana.html

:cheers:
Wonko

#338 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

Dear Wonko,
Yes, You are having right, i know, that those tasks can be performed by using command line utilities or by knowing The registry structure very well.

I Am very sorry, that i have intruded with this idea.
I wish You A nice evening.
With kindness regards.
Janusz Chmiel

#339 Uvais

Uvais

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hello Amalux :)...

I am facing an error from few days on New Laptops...After booting from LiveXP (Latest) Itt's not Showing HDD :( ...I think it's Driver issue ?

#340 Uvais

Uvais

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

Posted 4 days ago and Still no response ..Wow :dubbio:

#341 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

You need to explain the problem better. How did you make this LiveXP, What media are you booting from. At what stage does it not see the HDD and how do you know it does not see the HDD. What symptoms or error messages do you see. What is you hardware model and age (esp. HDD controller and type). What is your BIOS HDD setting (AHCI or Legacy IDE), etc.

What if I said 'my car doesn't work, I think it's the engine.' - do you expect us to figure out what is wrong from that! :loleverybody:

#342 al-jo72

al-jo72

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hey all, I don't know if this is the right place to post my question and I apologize in advance. I am building a Win7PE SE and I am having problem mounting the Norton Ghost 15 SRD. with parameters: [Mount NOT successful!]

Any help to this matter is much appreciated. Thank you.

I'd like to attach my logs but I don't know how? Can't find the attachment button.

#343 Uvais

Uvais

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

I created Live XP (LX.061412) -167 MB with Default Settings and used "Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2- VL" as a source disk ..OK

And booting from USB Drive using .ISO (Grb4Dos/Menu.lst ) ....I also Created Win7PE_SE using Project "(W7.061612) "

and added Ghost's ISO too...

I am not facing Any Error Messages....Simply When I Booted Using LiveXP.ISO than it does not Show "HDD" in My Computer OR in Diskmgmt.msc OR in Diskpart.......But

when I booted Using Ghost 's ISO (dos version) than it Shows HDD...............

This problem is Only comes in NEW Laptops (ie : i3,i5) ...and i thinking it's Driver Issue..

What if I said 'my car doesn't work, I think it's the engine.' - do you expect us to figure out what is wrong from that!

:loleverybody: :loleverybody: :loleverybody:

#344 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

This problem is Only comes in NEW Laptops (ie : i3,i5) ...and i thinking it's Driver Issue..

Ahhh, and here we have the info we need - yes, it will be the driver. As we don't know what model of nbook or chipset you are using, we cannot guess what driver you need...
Why not try installing some drivers using INF or Device Manager or dpinst.exe once you have booted to XP?

#345 Uvais

Uvais

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

:good: Okay..I'll Try :D

Anyway I just want to know is there anyway To add all HDD's Driver Or Anything Like Driver-pack of All HDD ?

#346 Uvais

Uvais

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Device Manager

and How can i Install Drivers Using "Device Manager " If my HDD is not Showing in Device Manager ?

#347 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

and How can i Install Drivers Using "Device Manager " If my HDD is not Showing in Device Manager ?

If there is a driver problem, then you should see the HDD controller have a yelllow Bang ! next to it.. - or maybe an 'unidentifed' device has a yellow bang?

#348 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

PE 1x projects require an unmodified, retail version of M$ Windows XP CD as source (copied to folder on HD is recommended)
LiveXP_Rec (LX.061412) is a lite, fast WimBoot build, portable app's ready with latest Dipe AE and full ppApps support.
Download

Hi amalux,

Unfortunately the download link of your LiveXP Project LX.061412 is not working anymore.
Can you please upload e.g. to Data File Host http://www.datafilehost.com/
this project again or one of your latest projects ?

We will appreciate it very much and it will certainly be very helpful for a lot of interested people.

:cheers:

#349 farzad_Oscar

farzad_Oscar

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hi everyone

i have problem with "win builder" in win 7 pe and win xp live
i want to add avira professional security 2013 + last vdf update and SCSI + AHCI + Raid Driver + Everything search engine and reg scanner to my project but i cant fine any Use full thing for my project
i found avira free personal script 2010 but it dos not work for avira professional 2013 !!! and i need something to crated driver script that i can add to my project
an other thing how can i add Portable Apps to my project ?
Thanks very much

#350 ccl

ccl

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

Dear Amalux, got any build Win8PE guide ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users