200 replies to this topic

#26 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

Atleast there is a work around. Thanks!
Will see you all later. have to catch some zzzzz's!

#27 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

P.S. Don't let the blue screen disappoint you with ZM-VE200. It is clearly an issue with Windows (as far as I can tell).

#28 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

Why would you need to if you are not using it to boot? Anyway, BootIce will do it.

Will test tomorrow.

Don't say never. Maybe in the future I might want to boot from the drive.

Will try to test tomorrow. Night!

#29 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

Naughty seems to start up stops at the same thing that its loading ie settings.

Solution for this has been posted in the NaughtyPE thread.

I cant use Mouse or keyboard. Gets stuck before the desktop shows up. so I guess usb mouse and keyboard dont get loaded so I can press the enter key to try to get to desktop.

This han't happend since Galopos Keyboard-Mouse Hotplug script got fixed. Are you sure?

:thumbsup:

#30 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:45 AM

Why would you need to if you are not using it to boot? Anyway, BootIce will do it.

Will try to experiment hopefully during this week or weekend.

#31 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:47 AM

Tried it and will see if the results are the same on real hardware.

This han't happend since Galopos Keyboard-Mouse Hotplug script got fixed. Are you sure?

:thumbsup:

Maybe the strong compatibility will fix it since Ie error doesnt come up and will allow to get to desktop.

#32 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:09 AM

:cheers:

Yep Even with this new build no USB mouse or USB keyboard support. I do get to the desktop and get the no network error. I dont have the needed drivers for my nic. Night!

#33 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:17 AM

:cheers:

Im sure. It doesnt seem to recognize my usb mouse and key.

#34 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:59 AM

Easiest way would be to install grub4dos onto the HDD (if you don't know how to do this, for a Windows platform - download RMPrepUSB 2.1.618, select USB HDD and click on Install grub4dos). Then try to boot from it on any PC/nbook that supports USB booting from HDD. You should see grub4dos load and then drop to a command shell window.

Done

No, if the drive was not bootable before then it won't affect anything. Using the Install grub4dos button will change the MBR code and add the file grldr to the root of the hard drive. Just don't click the Prepare Drive button!

Both done.

Will Test Drive with grub4dos

#35 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

Then try to boot from it on any PC/nbook that supports USB booting from HDD. You should see grub4dos load and then drop to a command shell window.

Happens just as you describe. Grub Loads and sets me at grub prompt.

#36 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

OK, I bought one of these. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the ISO load feature to work and was about to return it when it suddenly started working. I have written some notes for others here . It also seems that the VE200 controller can get confused and stay confused. I put a known working SATA hard disk taken from a friends another identical VE200 (same model and nearly identical serial number) and put it on my VE200 controller board and it gave Error 23! Put my friends hard disk back onto my friends VE200 and it worked no problem! I eventually got mine working by using DISKPART CLEAN!

Most disappointing is that the VE200 ISO load function does not support FAT32 format (or EXT2). So I cannot use the drive to boot to DOS OS's as a DOS hard disk. The first partition has to be a primary NTFS one. This is a bit of a disappointment.

#37 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:20 AM

OK, I bought one of these. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the ISO load feature to work and was about to return it when it suddenly started working. I have written some notes for others here . It also seems that the VE200 controller can get confused and stay confused. I put a known working SATA hard disk taken from a friends another identical VE200 (same model and nearly identical serial number) and put it on my VE200 controller board and it gave Error 23! Put my friends hard disk back onto my friends VE200 and it worked no problem! I eventually got mine working by using DISKPART CLEAN!

Most disappointing is that the VE200 ISO load function does not support FAT32 format (or EXT2). So I cannot use the drive to boot to DOS OS's as a DOS hard disk. The first partition has to be a primary NTFS one. This is a bit of a disappointment.

I didnt have any problems as the ones you reported. I used a Travelstar 7K500 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive Kit. Installed it. Put the screws. Formated using the windows disk management. Glad you got it working.
I wonder what the updated driver adds.

On another note, I was reading a past firmware update and it said
http://www.ioddusa.c...rsion-14224-iso

Firmware Version 1.42.24 (ISO)

The iodd[Zalman VE200] will identify the type of image file by the extension:

* .iso -- CD/DVD/Blu-Ray
* .dsk -- Hard disk image
* .ima -- Floppy disk image
* .rmd -- Removable Disk image

NOTE: A non-ISO disk image MUST be contiguous (not fragmented) for the iodd to be able to mount it.

Tested a Win98se boodisk.ima and windows loaded it as A: floppy. Wow!
Havent tested if PC would be able to boot. But this info might help you.

http://www.ioddusa.c...-format-utility

Disk Format Utility (Windows)

Windows' built-in format utility does not like to format disks larger than 32GB as FAT32, which makes it inadequate for formatting disks for use with the iodd. This format utility will allow you to format any disk as FAT32.

Windows won't let me format the drive FAT32! Help! PDF Print E-mail
Written by Barry Callahan
Sunday, 29 November 2009 23:58

For some reason, Windows XP and Vista will only allow you to format a USB drive as FAT32 if it is 32GB or smaller.

Anything bigger, Windows will insist that it's too big to format using FAT32, despite the fact that FAT32 supports partitions up to 2 Terabytes in size.

To get around this limitation, we have a format utility available for download.

Can I use ISOs larger than 4GB in size? PDF Print E-mail
Written by Barry Callahan
Sunday, 27 September 2009 01:36

Because the image partition must be formatted using FAT32, the largest single file you can store on it is 4GB.

That being said, you CAN use ISOs that are larger, if you split them into chunks that are 4GB or smaller. When you split the file, name the chunks "filename.iso", "filename.is1", "filename.is2", etc.

Nice!

#38 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for the info about other formats, I will try that.
I used XP to make a 20GB FAT32 single primary partition and that is not recognised by the VE200, nor is a 232GB FAT32 partition if created by EASEUS Home Partition Master or RMPrepUSB. It just does not seem to support FAT32 of any size for iso loading.
Edit - OK, I tried a 1.44MB dos622 floppy ima file - it listed it and tried to load it when I pressed in the jog wheel - then seemed to reset itself but then loaded the file. I tried it on another .ima file and that loaded too! I tried it on an ISO and that loaded too!
So now I have A: and B: and the ISO on J:. Both A: and B: are read/write which is useful!
If I remove the USB cable - wait 20 seconds - then re-insert the USB cable - it seems to remember what I loaded last and My Computer shows A: B: and J: again! If I try to load the same IMA file it says 'ALREADY HIT'. I tried three IMA files and it seems to think all 3 are loaded as it says ALREADY HIT when I try to select any of the three again even after a power down. The funny thing is that now I cannot unload these A: and B: drives just by unplugging it! I also cannot replace any of them with another IMA file
To clear all virtual disks and reset it, I have to press in the jog wheel whilst inserting the USB cable.

I loaded four IMA files and now have A:, B:, J: and K: as four floppy disk drives in Windows Explorer! If I try load load another it says 'vDISK Limit'.

I wish there was some decent documentation on this thing!

#39 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:49 AM

Thanks for the info about other formats, I will try that.

No Problem.

It just does not seem to support FAT32 of any size for iso loading.

Was this result with the tool provided from Iodd also.

Edit - OK, I tried a 1.44MB dos622 floppy ima file - it listed it and tried to load it when I pressed in the jog wheel - then seemed to reset itself but then loaded the file. I tried it on another .ima file and that loaded too! I tried it on an ISO and that loaded too!
So now I have A: and B: and the ISO on J:. Both A: and B: are read/write which is useful!
If I remove the USB cable - wait 20 seconds - then re-insert the USB cable - it seems to remember what I loaded last and My Computer shows A: B: and J: again! If I try to load the same IMA file it says 'ALREADY HIT'. I tried three IMA files and it seems to think all 3 are loaded as it says ALREADY HIT when I try to select any of the three again even after a power down. The funny thing is that now I cannot unload these A: and B: drives just by unplugging it! I also cannot replace any of them with another IMA file
To clear all virtual disks and reset it, I have to press in the jog wheel whilst inserting the USB cable.

Thanks for the tests and the solution on how to clear the floppy Drive[s] from loading. Not to bad. You can have 4 multiple floppy drives. I was thinking unloading would be as easy as with the iso's. Glad you found the way to unmount them. Saved me alot time in trying to find a solution.

I loaded four IMA files and now have A:, B:, J: and K: as four floppy disk drives in Windows Explorer! If I try load load another it says 'vDISK Limit'.

I wish there was some decent documentation on this thing!

So with this info. It seems 4 floppy drives are the limit.

#40 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

I downloaded the IODD FAT32 disk format program. It could initialize the VE200 but the Format button is always greyed out (running Win7 64bit). Even on a 1GB flash drive the Format button is greyed out. ???
I also tried exFAT using Win 7 format and it does not like that either!

#41 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

Might be the new Firmware. Maybe downgrading Firmware might work.

#42 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

Just tested installing win7 from Zalman VE200 using ISO and installation went well. The person had problems with infected OS.

Had to back up the Windows 7 Reginfo. So I tested for the first time this tool called' Token Restore '. Which helps as a Windows 7 Activation Backup Tool and then when you do a clean install of same version OS and same hardware it will allow you to restore the Saved Activation Info back to youre new clean install.
Saves you from having to reactivate.

Token Restore 2.2
http://megaupload.com/?d=M0G1E92Y#

#43 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Looks handy if you have no internet connection and used a retail product key, but most systems are OEM systems which do not require internet connectivity anyway. The Token Restore also displays the original Win7 product key which might be handy!Posted Image

#44 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:30 AM

Looks handy if you have no internet connection and used a retail product key.

OK! The One used was the REg files from the original installed version of 7 and same hardware. Im not sure if it was OEM.

but most systems are OEM systems which do not require internet connectivity anyway.

How would you activate this OEM without Internet Access. Would it be by using that computers Serial. Or is there another method im not familiar with Other then backing up reg files.

The Token Restore also displays the original Win7 product key which might be handy!

:confused1:

#45 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

How would you activate this OEM without Internet Access. Would it be by using that computers Serial. Or is there another method im not familiar with Other then backing up reg files.

OEMBIOS or SLP? :clap:
http://www.msfn.org/...vation-utility/
http://www.msfn.org/...pre-activation/

:happy_dance:
Wonko

#46 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:58 AM

Royalty OEM XP activates from a combination of

1. OEM string in memory somewhere between E000:0000 and F000:FFFF
2. Special OEMBIOS files in Windows folder
3. Correct OEM Product key in the registry

No internet activation is required.

Note: XP activation does NOT use WMI/DMI. Many OEMs put their OEM string into memory by using DMI - however, many systems do not store DMI strings between E000:0000 and F000:FFFF but use the D000:xxxx area for DMI storage - therefore for these systems, the SLP OEM string may or may not be a DMI string. The OEM string may be hard coded into the BIOS by the OEM so it is in the correct E000:0000 to F000:FFFF area.

#47 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

I noticed someone posted a review of Mac OSX being booted of this iodd Hard Disk Drive HDD Enclosure.

The question is..
- Which version of Mac OSX was it? Leopard or Snow Leopard?
- Was it stored as a .ISO, .IMG, .DMG (.DMG is typical imaging on the Mac)
- Also, could / would this thing be able to boot a Mac OSX .DMG or .ISO on a Hackintosh !!! ?

Link to ISO you want tested please.

I can link to specific instances that I have.. or you could try some of these:

Can you try booting a Mac OSX Snow Leopard / Leopard instance..
- A retail vanilla DMG
- An ISO of Mac Hackintosh Distro
- A modified .DMG with Mac cloning tools etc.
- Etc

The iodd[Zalman VE200] will identify the type of image file by the extension:

* .iso -- CD/DVD/Blu-Ray
* .dsk -- Hard disk image
* .ima -- Floppy disk image
* .rmd -- Removable Disk image

So, where and how do Mac .DMG files fall? Are they .ISO / .DSK or .RMD equivalents?

Edited by crashnburn, 30 March 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#48 Grif

Grif

• Developer
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

Ive had one of these for a few months. Works fantastic. Boots any bootable .iso file I've found so far. Mine shipped with some wonky old firmware that would only allow FAT32, but after rolling it back to some even OLDER firmware, was able to flash it back to the latest. Its been rock solid on NTFS ever since.

#49 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

Grif - Could you share / post all the 3 FW numbers..
- The one you had a problem with
- Which one you rolled back to and
- Which one you on now that works well?

#50 Grif

Grif

• Developer
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

Currently using version ZMVE200-v1.00.00-57N from Zalmans website. I believe its the latest. I could not flash it directly however I had to roll back to iodd firmware, whose version numbers escape me as this was a couple months ago. I could go try to find them, but would only be guessing at the actual version numbers. If I recall I went back to the earliest iodd firmware I could find, then flashed the latest Zalman release.

It was an interesting experience as the iodd fw has features and operations much different than the Zalman. It may have potential for some custom FW IMHO if somebody were so inclined to create some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users