Photo

Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v3.5.0.23 (on XBoot)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 novice_pc_user

novice_pc_user
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:24 AM

Hello,

I am receiving an error when I try to boot Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v3.5.0.23 (on XBoot). I receive the error using a USB Flash drive and also on the ISO image written to a CD. The error displayed is below...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------- Norton Bootable Recovery Tool failed to launch. Required file --------
-------- not found. Program will exit. [ERR-0001] --------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried several times with no success. I have used 'Add using Grub4DOS ISO emulation', 'Utility PE (Windows XP only' and 'Utility PE (Windows Vista and 7 only)'
ISO types for adding the file to XBoot, all with no success.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:"Booting and Owning".
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

Hello novice_pc_user
I haven't played with XBoot yet, but this code may help you.
What I do know about NBRT is that it is an x86 only build,
it will not run correctly in x64 environment.
Also NBRT.exe is the shell the windows boots to.

*** This is from nativeEx_Win7 Create ISO.script modified ***
pCheckBox6="Add: Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v 3.1.0.11",1,3,574,218,277,19,False

// ****** ADDING images\Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v3.1.0.11*********************************************************************************
If,%pCheckBox6%,Equal,True,Begin
If,NOTEXISTVAR,%GlobalSupport%,Set,%GlobalSupport%,%BaseDir%\Workbench
If,NOTEXISTVAR,%GlobalTemplates%,Set,%GlobalTemplates%,%GlobalSupport%\Common
Set,%NBRTFolder%,%GlobalTemplates%\NBRTISO
If,NotExistDir,"%targetdir%\images",Dirmake,"%targetdir%\images"
If,NotExistFile,"%targetdir%\images\NBRT.iso",FileCopy,"%NBRTFolder%\NBRT.iso","%targetdir%\images"
End
// ********* ADDING Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v3.1.0.11.iso TO MENU *********************************************************************************************
If,ExistFile,"%targetdir%\images\NBRT.iso",Begin
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"title Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v3.1.0.11",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"find --set-root /images/NBRT.iso",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"map /images/NBRT.iso (hd32)",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"map --hook",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"root (hd32)",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"chainloader (hd32)",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,,Append
End

*** This is Norton Bootable Recovery Tool .script for Win7PE_SE x86 build only ***
Downloads

#3 novice_pc_user

novice_pc_user
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hello novice_pc_user
I haven't played with XBoot yet, but this code may help you.
What I do know about NBRT is that it is an x86 only build,
it will not run correctly in x64 environment.
Also NBRT.exe is the shell the windows boots to.

*** This is from nativeEx_Win7 Create ISO.script modified ***
pCheckBox6="Add: Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v 3.1.0.11",1,3,574,218,277,19,False

// ****** ADDING images\Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v3.1.0.11*********************************************************************************
If,%pCheckBox6%,Equal,True,Begin
If,NOTEXISTVAR,%GlobalSupport%,Set,%GlobalSupport%,%BaseDir%\Workbench
If,NOTEXISTVAR,%GlobalTemplates%,Set,%GlobalTemplates%,%GlobalSupport%\Common
Set,%NBRTFolder%,%GlobalTemplates%\NBRTISO
If,NotExistDir,"%targetdir%\images",Dirmake,"%targetdir%\images"
If,NotExistFile,"%targetdir%\images\NBRT.iso",FileCopy,"%NBRTFolder%\NBRT.iso","%targetdir%\images"
End
// ********* ADDING Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v3.1.0.11.iso TO MENU *********************************************************************************************
If,ExistFile,"%targetdir%\images\NBRT.iso",Begin
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"title Norton Bootable Recovery Tool v3.1.0.11",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"find --set-root /images/NBRT.iso",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"map /images/NBRT.iso (hd32)",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"map --hook",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"root (hd32)",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,"chainloader (hd32)",Append
TXTAddLine,%MenuFile%,,Append
End

*** This is Norton Bootable Recovery Tool .script for Win7PE_SE x86 build only ***
http://home.comcast....ier/NBRT.script

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello RoyM,

Thank you very much for your reply. You are right, Norton Bootable Recovery Tool will only run in an x86 (32-bit) environment, which fortunately I am using.

My knowledge of scripts is minimal to say the least, but I appreciate your input and help.

I am thinking that perhaps the application might be looking for a particular file in the root directory of the USB Flash drive, in order to operate correctly, but I am only guessing here.

However, I appreciate your input very much, and I will take a note of your suggestion if ever I use this application with 'nativeEx_Win7' in future.

Thank you.

#4 alochet

alochet

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

I found out a way to get it to work with xboot.

1. Use the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool and create the NBRT.iso, make sure the filename is NBRT.iso.
2. Start xboot and select the iso as "extra", then create USB. Select the usb drive and use the syslinux bootloader.
3. Once its done goto your usb drive under boot\grub4dos folder open the utility.lst with notepad and enter this line at the bottom

### MENU START
title NBRT
ls /images/NBRT.iso || find --set-root /images/NBRT.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/NBRT.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/NBRT.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)
### MENU END

Then goto \boot\syslinux and open the utility.cfg file with notepad and enter this at the bottom:

### MENU START
LABEL -
MENU LABEL NBRT
LINUX /boot/syslinux/grub.exe
APPEND --config-file="ls /images/NBRT.iso || find --set-root /images/NBRT.iso;map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/NBRT.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/NBRT.iso (0xff);map --hook;chainloader (0xff)"
TEXT HELP
norton (496 MB)
map --hook
ENDTEXT
### MENU END

Now, you still need to copy and paste the entire contents of the iso file directly in the root of the drive, otherwise it will give you an error that it cant start norton.

Of course this method will double the size and waste space because you have the iso and the contents of the files on the drive. There is one way to get around this, but you need a software like ultraiso. If you start the program ultraiso and load the NBRT.iso you can delete the "drivers" and "SYMANTEC_NBRT" folder from the Sources folder of the ISO, then save that new ISO as NBRT.iso.

So that way you have an iso file that only has the BOOT information that xboot needs to boot up and then you have the contents of the files on the root of the drive, but you still need to add the new iso file in xboot

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

#Norton Bootable Recovery Tool
#The ISO is WinPE 3 based. To make it work, it needs to find the NBRTSTRT.exe file in the root of the USB drive
#and also you need to copy two folders from inside the ISO to your USB drive, so as well as the ISO file on your USB drive you just need:
#\NBRTSTRT.exe
#\Sources\DRIVERS
#\Sources\SYMANTEC_NBRT

title NBRT
map /images/NBRT.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users