Is http://www.tinykrnl.org/ closed?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:10 PM

Here's the visual SVN you asked for: http://tortoisesvn.net/

Good luck.. :cheers:

#27 simulatedreality

simulatedreality

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

I just posted as attachment the copy I have. :cheers:

OK, :cheers: definitely we are cross-posting.

Some (most) of the downloads from www.archive.org simply miss 1 (one) byte at the end, in other words the downloaded file is one byte shorter than the original.
Since 99,999% of archive files have a few 00 bytes at the end (so called "padding"), you need to add to the file a byte with value 00.

You do not need necessarily a Hex-editor to do so.
Copy and paste the following with Notepad in a new .txt file and rename the file to pad0.cmd:

@ECHO OFF

if %1.==. GOTO :EOF

if not exist echoo.com (

echo Bj@jzh`0X-`/PPPPPPa(DE(DM(DO(Dh(Ls(Lu(LX(LeZRR]EEEUYRX2Dx=>echoo.com

echo 0DxFP,0Xx.t0P,=XtGsB4o@$?PIyU WwX0GwUY Wv;ovBX2Gv0ExGIuht6>>echoo.com

echo ?@xAyJHmH@=a?}VjuN?_LEkS?`w`s_{OCIvJDGEHtc{OCIKGMgELCI?GGg>>echoo.com

echo EL?s?WL`LRBcx=k_K?AxVD?fCo?Cd?BLDs0>>echoo.com

)

echoo.com $00>tempbin.$$$

copy /b %1 + tempbin.$$$ %1

del echoo.com

del tempbin.$$$

PAUSE
put it in the same directory where you downloaded the file, open a Command Prompt there and simply type:
pad0 filename.ext [ENTER]
or simply drag and drop the archive on the .cmd

jaclaz

Thanks mate :-)

Yes, we are definetley cross posting but it's all good now...

Ok, I completely understand what you mean now in respect to padding and thankyou for this checksum/padding/byte fixing program/batch file script which I have just tested and confirm to work perfectly...

Out of curiousity, how does this batch file work ?

I understand nearly everything in the batch file (I think) except for these lines between the parantheses:

(
)

What does this mean and how does this work ?

Just very curious...

What other languages/scripts/code do you work with - do you also do low-level stuff (ie Assembler) or just high-level (C, C++) and/or Web (C# etc etc) ?

Anyway, in regards to TinyKRNL I have now installed the WDK (6000/VISTA DRIVER DEV KIT) and have setup the Razzle/Dazzle command-line-based build environment...

I have also downloaded the Tortoise-Shell-Subversion client thanks to Nuno Brito below - both you guys have been very helpful in getting me and TinyKRNL up and running so thanks a lot !!! :cheers:

Moving back to my other queries:

has anyone here at BootLand built (compiled) the code in this TinyKRNL archive - using the razzle/dazzle environment and WDK ?

or has anyone used (or even seen) the Native Command Line Interface giving one access to the NT layer of the Windows OS - ie before SMSS.EXE as executed and whilst still in the system process ???
-->(as depicted here: http://tinykrnl.org/dev_test.htm - scroll right down to TESTING A COMPONENT)

I have attached a picture to this post (Native Command Line Interface = command prompt at NT layer before "Windows").

Continuing on with the NCLI for a moment -

My understanding is that this prompt is pretty much running at the exact same time and in the exact same fashion that CHKDSK.EXE would run - even the screen coluring is the same as you will see from that image.

CHKDSK.EXE and AUTOFMT.EXE plus a few other programs in the %system32% directory are NATIVE and do not require the Windows sub-system to be loaded - they are only dependent on NT itself and therefore only require NTOSKRNL.EXE as they run as system threads/processes.

This also means that SMSS.EXE has not been executed and, more importantly, it also means that such programs (CHKDSK, AUTOFMT, AUTOCONV etc etc) are built with device driver kits like the WDK - just my changing the sources file to output an EXE and not a SYS driver. This point is stated here (EXEs made via WDK/DDK) as opposed to most other EXEs being built in Visual Studio or another appropriate "high-level" IDE where programs are reliant on the Windows Sub-System (WIN32K.SYS, CSRSS, KERNEL32.DLL) - ie CreateProcess....

Finally, this also means that such a program (NCLI/CHKDSK/AUTOFMT) would have all the benefits and privileges of a device driver - not just being executed in kernel memory space etc - but on the x86 processor such programs are executed in Ring Zero (0) !!!

Is this understanding pretty much correct and consistent with everyone else's understandings ?

Well the reason I ask is because I would to know how one could get such a interface (NCLI as in the picture attached/posted) to boot up as part of a WinPE disk or standard windows installation...

I do not think this NCLI is specific to TinyKRNL whatsoever.

Basically, I see the NCLI as being a COMMAND.COM (and not CMD.EXE/NTVDM/MVDM emulated) dos prompt that is able to talk directly to the kernel and make use of the NATIVE NT API...

This would basically be setting up a true and proper "NT" operating system. When I say "true and proper" I suppose the best way to perceive what I mean would be to consider "WINDOWS" as a program that runs on top of "NT".

Makes sense yes ?

Anyway, to summarize and keep things simple and focused, and considering this is boot-land.net, does anyone know how to get a WinPE or Windows installation to bring up such a prompt from a standard cold bootstrap on a REAL machine (no emulation etc) ?

There would be many many uses to this sort of an environment - for example a cluster could be created using several NT/x86 (or x64) boxes: instead of using something like Compute Cluster Server (Win x64) the footprint could be kept to an absolute minimum by just running a MPIEXEC client/server system on top of this native NT NCLI point.

That is what I intend to do as a matter of fact - for my PhD thesis - create a proper cluster operating system.

Finally, and speaking of x64, would it be possible in anyone's opinion, to use Microsoft Windows' Compute Cluster Server with SP1 instead of the standard 32-bit edition that TinyKRNL asks for to build itself around - would CCS/x64 work instead of the standard 32-bit x86 version ???

Could a WinPE disk be made with CCS/x64 - to run in native x64 mode ???

I am not sure if anyone is familiar with Compute Cluster Server (Win x64) or not (download here - www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/ccs/default.aspx ) but this would be interesting to know - both if TinyKRNL could use it as it's base and wether or not a WinPE disk could be made with these files just like a WinPE ISO can be made from any other XP or Server ISO.

Ok, Ok, too much for one post I know - sorry !!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone.

:cheers:

PS:

In conclusion the main interest here is getting to the NCLI so if anyone can help that would be great - any thoughts on any of the rest would also be good - I have tried googling native API and NCLI but NOTHING.

Attached Thumbnails

• NCLI.jpg

#28 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

Out of curiousity, how does this batch file work ?

I understand nearly everything in the batch file (I think) except for these lines between the parantheses:

(
)

What does this mean and how does this work ?

Just very curious...

That code is a clever assembler program by Herbert Kleebauer, see here for reference, encoded in the batch:
http://www.geocities...oomkat/byte.htm
http://www.infionlin...ch/conv2bat.htm
ftp://137.193.64.130/pub/assembler/ube.zip

basically the ECHO comand available in batch language has two drawbacks:
1) It doesn't write "pure binary" values
2) It appends a CR+LF (0D 0A) to each line

The code uses ECHO to create an executable .com file echoo.com that can write binary values (prefixed by the $ symbol) without appending anything.

The code of echoo.com when running simply "skips over" the 0D0A added by ECHO when creating the file.

It's use can even be simplified like this:

@ECHO OFF
if %1.==. GOTO :EOF
if not exist echoo.com (
)
echoo.com $00>>%1
del echoo.com

in the version I posted before I used the COPY command to provide for a visual feedback.

What other languages/scripts/code do you work with - do you also do low-level stuff (ie Assembler) or just high-level (C, C++) and/or Web (C# etc etc) ?

No, just batch, if I want to shoot my own foot, I want to do it without the need to read a half a dozen of books on C, let alone C++ and C# (which I call C "obtuse") :cheers::
http://www.kirchwitz...hoot_foot.shtml

About all the rest of your post, my understanding is that you are more or less correct, though I would call that an "Enhanced Recovery Console".

jaclaz

#29 simulatedreality

simulatedreality

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

That code is a clever assembler program by Herbert Kleebauer, see here for reference, encoded in the batch:

The code uses ECHO to create an executable .com file echoo.com that can write binary values (prefixed by the $ symbol) without appending anything.

The code of echoo.com when running simply "skips over" the 0D0A added by ECHO when creating the file.

in the version I posted before I used the COPY command to provide for a visual feedback.
No, just batch, if I want to shoot my own foot, I want to do it without the need to read a half a dozen of books on C, let alone C++ and C# (which I call C "obtuse") :cheers::

About all the rest of your post, my understanding is that you are more or less correct, though I would call that an "Enhanced Recovery Console".

jaclaz

That is the funniest the thing I have seen all week; it must be pretty funny because my girlfriend is NOT laughing at all and I am :cheers:

The best one of all is Assembler - and it is entirely true:

" You try to shoot yourself in the foot, only to discover you must first invent the gun, the bullet, the trigger, and your foot."

However I think (with most compilers/build environments/IDEs anyway - especially the Windows Driver Kit), that before you invent the foot you need to firstly invent the body and brain and consciousness - not to mention REALITY !!!

Isn't that how it goes - I think therefore I am ?

Speaking of assembler, yes that batch-file-script is quite clever...

And I get it now too (so obvious in hindsight) -

Essentially the ECHO is printing out the pre-written-ASCII and "compiling" it to a .com file which is then executed.

What I did notice however is that there is no MZ byte at the start of the .COM file - how does this work - does it use NTVDM/MVDM/SoftPC ?

Moving on, and getting back to reality for a minute:

Have you tried to build the TinyKRNL code you have in that 7Z file you posted ?

Do you have the WDK ?

I would REALLY appreciate it if I could talk to someone else who has/is/would work on the project at least to the point where they could help me get up to the NCLI/Extended Recovery Console (which it very well is albeit it also allows full execution of "programs" that use the Native API - hence the "Extended")...

If you wouldn't mind attempting to unzip your tinynightly.7z and setting up the build environment - with the WDK - and compiling/loading the test environment - see website for instructions - I would be very appreciative.

I just want to know what I am doing wrong because as soon as I type MAKE at the first Dazzle prompt it comes up with build errors and this is a pure clean install of WDK and that tinynightly.7z release.........

All I need help with is getting up to the NCLI point - in KQEMU or in REALITY - then I can take off on my own.

Would you mind taking a look at it ?

The WDK can be obtained for free from http://connect.microsoft.com

Anyone else is also welcome to provide there thoughts/assistance and I can be reached at simulatedrealitylimited@gmail.com

PS: As I said I am opening up Dazzle window using WDK and proper variables/paths/settings - but it does not build properly - I get no compiled files albeit I do get the MININT drive and NTLDR etc on R: under the Virtual Disk/KQEMU - but when I try and boot I get NOTHING...

#30 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

What I did notice however is that there is no MZ byte at the start of the .COM file - how does this work - does it use NTVDM/MVDM/SoftPC ?

MZ is the signature for .exe, not for .com.

If you have time to experiment:
http://www.programme...5/download.aspx

jaclaz

#31 simulatedreality

simulatedreality

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

MZ is the signature for .exe, not for .com.

If you have time to experiment:
http://www.programme...5/download.aspx
jaclaz

Ahh - thanks again :-)

Yes, I have the time - quite interesting comment on the website from the last/2nd last person who downlaoded that file - "just what I needed to create my own operating system" - I dare say if that is all that is needed my PhD thesis should complete itself as I sleep :cheers: ...

Well I have just downloaded the SP1 for Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (x86) as apparently I must use this for TinyKRNL - using the -x parameter (?) with update.exe and extracting to a directory such as c:\servicepackfiles is the first step: then I tell TinyKRNL where to get these files from once I open the build environment (Dazzle in WDK) by typing "test install c:\servicepackfiles"...

The script file should then build a MININT (WinPE HDD type) installation on R: drive (which is created by the Virtual Disk Service driver included in that little 7Z (Vmware VDS Utility)...

Quite a lot for such a small package actually !!!

Then, once that is done (R: drive created with "test mount") I can type "test current" and cross my fingers as I wait for a KQEMU window to pop-up with this image booting to that NCLI/Command Prompt/Console...

If only it is that simple.

Well, the above has been quite simple and I have had no problems with that...

I can in fact get the KQEMU system to, well sort of, "boot".

The problem I am having is actually with "building" the source: after installing WDK and Dazzle etc I open a new Dazzle window and type make but get compile errors despite EVERYTHING being done properly and the system being clean.

Hmmmm.

Maybe this is out of place but considering you already have TinyKRNL you just need the WDK and Windows Server 2003 and you are ready to run - if you could attempt to build this for me and/or attempt to get to the NCLI I would much appreciate it.

It is just a matter of getting the WDK from connect.microsoft.com - the rest is in the 7Z as I am sure you already know: it will also download anything it needs including SP1 of server 2003 (although I wish it would work with compute cluster x64)...

Anyway - Would you have the time to try this for yourself - to build TinyKRNL and compare results with my build/source ?

#32 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

I am afraid that this would be really outside my field of competence (if we can call competence the amount of scattered bits of knowledge I have on Operating Systems :cheers:)

You should post a request for help, maybe here:
http://www.boot-land...-Vista-f15.html

it is possible that some other member with the "right" kind of knowledge is willing to partecipate in the project.

Just for the fun of it :cheers: , do you realize that this:

Maybe this is out of place but considering you already have TinyKRNL you just need the WDK and Windows Server 2003 and you are ready to run

equates, in other words, to :cheers: :

ok, you already have the 4 wheels, all you need is a 300HP engine + transmission and a Camaro body, and you are ready to race

jaclaz

#33 simulatedreality

simulatedreality

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:13 PM

jaclaz

Hi again mate - yes this is my most recent post since I built TinyKRNL and, after asking for your assistance, I ended up getting it working within that day - right up to that Native Command Line Interface on a real machine.

But anyway, another BIG problem - one that impacts on my PhD thesis as arisen - and considering the above quote and batch file-machine code technology you have introduced me to - it seems fate has brought me to you after all.

Ok, problem is - I have a large ZIP file that if I do not open in FULL I am DEAD.

And it just seems that the above little padding program is ideal to solve the problem I have.

The file I need to open will allow one to explore (ie using WINRAR etc) to the full tree but it will not decompress to the full tree and at a certain point STOPS and the rest of the tree is left for dead and I only get half of nothing.

So here is the problem and here is what I need done - if you would be so kind as to make me a pad0.cmd type fixing program I would be in great debt to you and would also be willing to make a donation to you for your time if this program works and un-corrupts the file I need to open in full.

Ok - here goes nothing - here is the instruction set my friend compiled to pass onto you for assistance - please help us and we will be forever in your debt I promise:

REMOVED by jaclaz

*** NOTE ***

Both archives (the good copy and the corrupt one described above) have problems
extracting with WinRAR, PKZip and WinZip. They will not process any files
further than ...........

InfoZIP's unzip utility handles them fine though. I used version 5.50 without
any problem. You can get this from http://www.info-zip.org/

Hope this helps,

S

#34 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:31 PM

Besides the fact that the file you need to open appears to be of "unauthorized" source, so I am removeing any related info to it.

If the question is "how can I patch some bytes in a file, knowing it's offset, actual value and needed value?"

The answer is simple, use a hex-editor or a patcher program, there are several Freewares of both, just as an example you can use these:
http://www.hhdsoftwa...hex-editor.html
LGPATCH
http://www.geocities...606/utility.htm

Otherwise, you can easily write your own batch to use dsfi (part of the DSFOK toolkit):
http://members.ozema...eezip/freeware/
or of a similar utility.

I don't want to put you down, mind you :cheers:, but maybe before attempting to write your own OS, you should study a bit the basic procedures used on existing ones, changing a handful of bytes in a file should be, if not Chapter #1, Chapter #2 or #3.

And besides, since info-zip is said to be working on that file, why not using it? :cheers:

jaclaz

#35 simulatedreality

simulatedreality

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:03 AM

Besides the fact that the file you need to open appears to be of "unauthorized" source, so I am removeing any related info to it.

First and foremost, within being inpolite and causing any damage to our friendship (yes I do consider us friends as you helped me out with TinyKRNL - and also actually answer my questions despite our stupid/paradoxical/overly complex - IE when I asked for TinyKRNL everyone else did NOTHING) -> BUT ->
I must hereby correct you on this one point:

The fact that the file I need to open appears to be of "unauthorised" source is not sufficient cause to give you the authority to remove such - think aboub it: The source was mentioned yes but you have referred all reference to it DESPITE NO SUCH SOURCE BEING REVEALED ON THIS SITE - only a reference was made to it and that reference was mde with in the bounds of the law because, furthermore to the abvoe I am acutally AUTHORISED under a signed share source licenscing agreement/non-disclosure agreement with MICROSOFT and my Univeristy as my PhD thesis is, paritally, on the comparison of leaked illegal source belonging to M$ and that being used by the open source community including projects like ReactOS and TinyKRNL which you so politely provided me and, by the way, I have succesfully buily and have running now, both on KQEMU - AND ON A REAL MACHINE !!!

Moving on, I will soon make a release of this as a WinPE disk that boots on a real machine - yes a real machine without any emulation - direct NCLI running straight to the processor and with much more commands than an Ehanced Recovery Console : you see TinyKRNL only loads one file (non-system-thread) beyond NTOSKRNL.EXE --> that is SMSS.EXE or (so internally named) NATIVE.EXE...

NATIVE.EXE is a replacement SMSS.EXE for lack of a better description - if you goto the boot execute switch in Session Manager in HKLM - that is:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

and change the Boot Execute

to read nothing more than native

(thus removing autocheck and autochk and *)

then your Windows system will boot to NCLI -->

to get it back to normal just reboot and press F8 and select last known working good configuration...

And everything will be back to normal.

Point is NATIVE.EXE is an SMSS.EXE replacement which is open source and which many many many new functionality routines can be added to - for example you could get it to run NT layer based programs or perhaps, as I intend to do in my thesis: write a MPIEXEC.EXE that can be executed from this NCLI or maybe just replace NATIVE.EXE

Anyway, another way to go would be to boot into your system and copy SMSS.EXE (in both \system32\ and \system32\dllcache\ to SMSS.BAK and then copy NATIVE.EXE to SMSS.EXE in both \system32\ and \system32\dllcahce\ although I think the Boot Execute in HKLM is a better act...

So just for fun I will post NATIVE.EXE.

Anyway, just remember, we are friends and I undestand your paranoia but I DO HAVE A SIGNED SHARE SOURCE AGREEMENT/NON-DISCLOSURE-AGREEMENT with MICROSOFT and my UNIVERISTY and am able to do whatever I want (other than publish the source obviously) to produce my thesis and create my operating system.

Now - moving on to this:

If the question is "how can I patch some bytes in a file, knowing it's offset, actual value and needed value?"

The answer is simple, use a hex-editor or a patcher program, there are several Freewares of both, just as an example you can use these:

LGPATCH

Otherwise, you can easily write your own batch to use dsfi (part of the DSFOK toolkit):
or of a similar utility.

Can you please give me an example based on what a previously posted, or for your own personal paranoia reasons - based on the following - which has the W*****S S****E C**E parts removed - ie this data here is just referring to a program I wrote and own copyright to and as nothing to do with anyone else and should not be removed because it impacts and hurts nobody and does (negative wise anyway) absolutely NOTHING.

So, how would you write a echo pad0.cmd that would fix such a file based on this - remembering here I am not posting source and the file to which I refer I have full authority to use under NDA and written permission from Microsoft so - as long as I do not publish code - you are legally welcome to help me write a padding program that would fix a corrupt file such as this one which is, allegedly, corrupt:

Hello reader! This file contains information to help you find the original copy
of REMOVED by jaclaz

The file should be xxx bytes in size and have an eDonkey/Overnet hash
of xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

The ed2k URL for it is:

REMOVED by jaclaz

There is another file of the same name and size which is currently more
available. The hash is xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. This copy is corrupt -
the file REMOVED by jaclaz has a CRC of
b96a76fc when it should be 2d55d7bd.

It should be quicker to change these than to download the entire file.

*** NOTE ***

Both archives (the good copy and the corrupt one described above) have problems
extracting with WinRAR, PKZip and WinZip. They will not process any files
further than nt4/private/ntos/rtl/alpha/largeint.s.

InfoZIP's unzip utility handles them fine though. I used version 5.50 without
any problem. You can get this from http://www.info-zip.org/

Hope this helps,

S

I don't want to put you down, mind you :cheers:, but maybe before attempting to write your own OS, you should study a bit the basic procedures used on existing ones, changing a handful of bytes in a file should be, if not Chapter #1, Chapter #2 or #3.

Changing a hand full of bytes should be Chapter #1 indeed but I was one of those nerdy kids that got put up a grade - they moved me to Yale University when I was 9 years old and started working me on C straight away so I shot myself in the foot well before I knew where my foot was and being 9 years old I did not even have a properly developed consciousness - so, yep, your right. Nevertheless, and at the end of the day I am making US$100,000 a year doing what I do so I must be doing something right. Oh, and I also have aspburgers which is a rare form of autism-cross-genius so although I can write an operating system I forget who I am or even if I am - thank god for descartes hey - I just after remember "I think for I am"

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

And besides, since info-zip is said to be working on that file, why not using it? :cheers:

jaclaz

I am trying it now and yes it is seeming to work - in fact I have gotten past the problem point WinRAR and the others stopped at - in fact I am up to (fully extracted):

\nt4\private\sdktools\build\

and, to take things further, I also used the WDK (and a hybrid Dazzle from TinyKRNL mixed with the NT Source original Razzle) and built the above \nt4\private\sdktools\build\ to produce:

BUILD.EXE

which, to answer your other post -

I am afraid that this would be really outside my field of competence (if we can call competence the amount of scattered bits of knowledge I have on Operating Systems :P)

it is possible that some other member with the "right" kind of knowledge is willing to partecipate in the project.

Just for the fun of it :cheers: , do you realize that this:

equates, in other words, to :cheers: :

jaclaz

I am afraid that this would be really outside my field of competence (if we can call competence the amount of scattered bits of knowledge I have on Operating Systems )

Just for the fun of it , do you realize that this:

Maybe this is out of place but considering you already have TinyKRNL you just need the WDK and Windows Server 2003 and you are ready to run

equates, in other words, to :

ok, you already have the 4 wheels, all you need is a 300HP engine + transmission and a Camaro body, and you are ready to race

jaclaz

Nope, I am already racing: I have full the entire operating system building perfectly and yes, believe it or not, it compiles the whole of NT/2K (the whole operating system) on my 1000HP cluster per Microsoft's own specifications (see using http://sourcedepot - oh, again on - that is intranet and will not work for you (only me on M$ Intranet) -

you will have to go here to see my system/cluster in front of me - by the way it is also using MPIEXEC over a grid for extra power but this is only experimental as I mentioned before I am trying to get MPI to run in native NT etc etc to build a true cluster operating system -

Anyway - here is the system I am using to build Windows and my operating system:

http://www.securityo...her/Startup.htm

Well, check that out and let me know what you think.

Again, I am sorry if I have been rude but I seriously have, as far as breaking forum rules or being rude, or breaking the law goes, done absolutely NOTHING.

#36 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

Let me get this straight, I don't care if you or your University have the License or whatever to make use of those files.

Sure it seems peculiar that you need to use a (corrupted) copy downloaded from ed2k, but this is none of my business.

What you cannot do is to provide on this board ed2k links to download those files.

And this is my business.

We can go forever like this, with me telling you that you must not post reference of links to leaked sources on this board and you stubbornly re-posting them, but ultimately I may get tired of this and I may simply ban you from the Board.

Consider this a friendly warning, but do not abuse of my patience.

jaclaz

#37 simulatedreality

simulatedreality

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

LGPATCH

or of a similar utility.

jaclaz

Ok, my sincere apologies...

Anyway, I did download it using INFO-ZIP and used TinyKRNL's build environment + WINDDK and it actually built parts of Windows NT4 and 2000 that could be EXECUTABLE - that is the leaked source !!!

Anyway, enough is enough - I am allowed to but I will not post any edk:// links etc ok ?

I want to share info and remain friends and I am already in debt to you for padding.cmd and tinykrnl !!!

Now one more thing -

Would you or NunoBruto explain to me HOW to get any NT based PE (WinPE 2003 or VISTA) ISO to boot from a USB key ???

I know it sounds simple and it's unbelievable I do not know/can not figure it out but I have asperbergers and am better of (starting at chapter #10 before #1) and just creating a new operating system.

So far I have tried pretty much SFA - ie using Windows Server 2003 Recovery Console but how do I put ETFSBOOT.COM onto USB ?

Please help anyway including you Anna/Annie/Nuno/Alex/M$ :cheers: !!!

Did I mention I took over TinyKRNL ? Well I did and I have and I am - what are your thoughts ?

Back to USB - SO far I am getting nowhere fast and need this before the end/week or I'm stuffed.

Tried talking to alex again but - you guessed it -

NOTHING.

#38 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

It's fairly easy to boot from USB, just need the proper tools for the job.

Under VistaPE / Vista read this topic: http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=1123

For LiveXP project, there's a tool called PeToUSB created by codebettle that will make USB drives bootable - it's available when you dowload the liveXP project or you can download the standalone tool here: http://gocoding.com/....php?al=petousb

Try these on and let us how it works for you.

---------

I'm very happy to hear that tinykrnl isn't going to fade away in memory - maybe we could organize a new section on this site to further discuss tinykrnl - what do you think? :cheers:

Good luck! :cheers:

#39 simulatedreality

simulatedreality

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

I readed a topic "Is www.tinykrnl.org/ closed?".
I just want to compile the TinyKRNL, i downloaded a source and test suite, but
i can't find the WDK. Can you help me???
If you can, i very thank you.
Sorry for my mistakes in English, becouse I'm from Poland.

Did you download the TinyKRNL file (tinynightly.7z) from this website ?

That is the only non-corrupt/clean copy I am aware of being publicly available although I am happy to re-post it in other places if need be...

You are best off using 7Z and InfoZip for all extractions/zipping as certain files - in particular some of the Windows Source Code on P2P networks - are corrupted in a certain fashion that will cause problems with WINRAR etc so just stick to these two (7Z and InfoZip) if you want no hassles...

Ok, so you have TinyKRNL and want to build yes - have you extracted it and had a look already - what do you think of the source ?

There is nothing much there really but I find the build scripts and environment more interesting than anything (although SMSS.EXE/NATIVE.EXE [main.c] and the use of \MININT makes you think - the latter in particular makes you want to get a real working version going instead of this limited use under KQEMU which is only good for WINDBG as it eliminates the need for messing about when trying to connect to the kernel)...

Anyway, to answer your question, the Windows Driver Kit must be used to bulid TinyKRNL as it needs components from what we previously called the common DDK, HAL DDK, and Installable File Systems DDK - this can be any version above 6000 and that is exactly what I am using - the Vista/Longhorn level DDK is better anyway (6000+) even though I only use Windows Server 2003 with SP1 which you will also need in order to build - here is a list of everything you should have:

0) TinyKRNL itself - obviously - which you already have. You should also read everything on the website before even extracting this however. Otherwise you won't know where to start. Best place is tinykrnl.org and checkout these pages 100%:

Like here -

http://tinykrnl.org/dev_build.htm AND
http://tinykrnl.org/dev_test.htm AND also checkout this:

http://www.securityo...her/Startup.htm

Just read it properly so you understand you must put in SYSTEM VARIABLES like BASEDIR before you run the WDK...

You really need to go over the website and understand the whole thing before trying to build...

By the way, do you understand/are aware of/know how to use Razzle and Dazzle ???

1) 7Zip and InfoZip - plus IsoBuster and Winrar - but just use InfoZip before anything - I am pretty sure InfoZip will extract the tinynightly file also but if it doesn't use 7Z - you should always try InfoZip first because some things like the Windows Source Code on P2P has either corrupt or SECRET files that only come out via this program.

2) Nero Ultimate Edition for burning - if you get any complications (after downloading the WDK from http://connect.microsoft.com or http://microsoft.com) you should change the file extension .IMG on the download to .NRG - this will automatically bring up Nero and just use the default settings - it will burn 100% if you change nothing.

3) Subversion - tortoise shell - check out TinyKRNL.org or go here: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ and download the latest release. You need to understand this also - how to use a source control system like subversion and/or sourcedepot... You can read up on sourcedepot and razzle (and other M$ things which are secret) by going to http://www.securityo...her/Startup.htm

4) WINDBG - you should goto microsoft.com and get the Windows Server 2003 SP1 X86 based DEBUG kit - that is here: http://www.microsoft...installx86.mspx - make sure you get the latest version and it is X86 which you should be using - TinyKRNL is biased to x86...

5) SYMBOLS and SYMBOL SERVER -

http://www.microsoft.../symbolpkg.mspx - make sure you get Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Checked (debug) Symbols and do NOT download spack 2 - just use RTM+sp1.

Speaking of which you should really be on X86 and running from Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Compute Cluster Server from BOOT - being in the environment you are building helps.

You also want to setup the symbol server which will update the symbols directory as needed. You can furthermore use this with process explorer (sysinternals) and the TinyKRNL scripts (dazzle) are all pre-coded with the msdl support server's address (in order to download). So again, before even starting with TinyKRNL, you should setup a whole complete partition on your computer - preferably W: drive if you also play around with NT4 source - or just get a cheap $100 computer with at least year 2003 specs (ie Pentium 4 with HyperThreading) and you will be right.

6) Sysinternals - get the whole pack here and replace taskmgr.exe with procexp.exe which will allow you to close handles and do pretty much anything - it will even kill smss.exe, winlogon.exe, and lsass.exe so you can get access to things like the registry and pagefile if necessary... Here is the whole pack - http://www.microsoft...rnalssuite.mspx

7) the actual OS - Windows Server 2003 SP1 - which you should be using to build and run your comptuer.

8) MS-DOS 3, MS-DOS 6, Reactos, Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Award BIOS, and UEFI source code - they all provide a lot of insight into how an operating system works and particularly how one like NT/Windows/MS-DOS is built. You can also see how a BIOS based or ALPHA/UEFI based firmware device works.

Speaking of firmware, the LinuxBIOS/OpenBIOS/OpenEFI website has a complete list of what NT needs at this level. It is quite an unexpected dependency (considering the HAL) and it took significant effort from the Xbox-Linux team and BAMBIOS crew who, respectively, solved the Xbox NT boot (using COMPLEX & XDK) problem, and Intel Macintosh + Windows problem. The Xbox version 1 would not boot without a .XBE (portable executable derivative) based program that ran under the Complex Debug 1.00 BIOS and Complex Debug Shell (which in turn connected to Visual Studio .NET and the Xbox 1 SDK). So this XBE was a complete BIOS emulation (simulacrum BIOS) and the same principle was employed on the Intel Mac's which employed a .EFI program to trick NT into seeing a BIOS.

Paradoxically, NT is actually based around processor emulation - Windows is very x86 centric and as such it has a built-in (MVDM/NTVDM)emulated BIOS and actual processor.

I could go on and on forever but the point is you want to get a feel for how these things work in reality - and the best place to start is to look at the actual source.

Get yourself a copy of Windows Internals also.

9) Finally, to actually get the Windows Driver Kit you need a Windows LIVE account (@hotmail.com) and must join CONNECT - the instructions are here -->

http://www.microsoft...WDK/WDKpkg.mspx

PS: As far as the above goes (BIOS etc etc) you should start at the same point NT does - power up - so get yourself a copy of Windows Internals and start reading this along with the leaked NT/2000 source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users