Photo
- - - - -

Windows 10 TH2 1511 install - weird network issue - any ideas?

windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

I am installing Windows 10 using Easy2Boot direct from standard MS Win10 ISOs which were downloaded from the MS download service. The ISOs have both x86 and x64 versions of Win10 Pro.

• Win10 dual x86\amd64 Pro 10240
  • Win10 dual x86\amd64 Pro 1511

The XML file I am using (same one for both ISOs), runs a cmd shell during the "Specialize" pass stage of install using a RunSynchronous entry. The XML has all unattend settings and disables UAC.

I have a wired ethernet LAN cable connected.

If I choose the 10240 ISO, and use the x86 option for a 32-bit EeePC 904HA netbook, the install proceeds correctly (fully automated with driver and app installs from the internet). When the cmd shell is opened during Specialize I have network access (the built in driver works) and I can ping bbc.co.uk. I can connect to the internet, etc.

Now here's the problem. If I use the TH2 ISO, then there is no internet access at the Specialize cmd shell.

ipconfig shows that the driver is working (and has a DHCP IP allocated) but I have no internet access. ping bbc.co.uk does not work (could not find host).

I have tried various netsh commands but I cannot fix the problem. As far as I can tell most services are running (DHCP Client). I have also tried various NET START commands.

However, I did find that if I run C:\windows\system32\msoobe then this does enable internet access and ping works from the command shell!  (A useful side affect is that msoobe also provides a GUI for me to select a WiFi network and enter the password - this means I don't have to use the ethernet cable if I don't want to!).

So,

1. Why is the network (i.e.internet access) not working for TH2 but does work for 10240 (DNS issue?)?

2. msoobe is obviously enabling internet access somehow - any ideas if there is a better way to enable it?

I haven't yet tried other ISOs - maybe this is a problem because I am using a dual 32/64-bit ISO and MS fouled up something?

Thanks

Steve

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

P.S. ping 8.8.4.4 works, but not if I use a name like yahoo.com

One thing I notice is the ipconfig /all shows no Host Name for TH2, but after running msoobe, the Host Name is set to DESKTOP-2U890TM and ping then works.

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

I tried the latest version of TH2 and there is no network issues, so it must be a bug in the first TH2 ISOs?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users