15 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

First off, I have to say I LOVE your product idea so much I had to get one.

for future iterations, would you consider making a cap for the stick? also maybe move the micro sd slot to the end as opposed to the side?

maybe like the USB rubber ducky from hak5.

Either way, those are probably the only improvements that i could suggest.

Now to my question. it concerns the iso_filename.txt that was mentioned in How to use your isostick thread.

Do I need to add all the iso's i have on my sd card to the list ? or is it just for mounting the single iso ?

Do I need to use this method if i use the Iso-manager?

#2 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

First off, I have to say I LOVE your product idea so much I had to get one.

for future iterations, would you consider making a cap for the stick? also maybe move the micro sd slot to the end as opposed to the side?

The slot is unlikely to move at this point, but adding a cap is not out of the question for the future.

Do I need to add all the iso's i have on my sd card to the list ? or is it just for mounting the single iso ?

It is just for mounting the single iso.

Do I need to use this method if i use the Iso-manager?

Nope, ISO Manager will create and write to iso_filename.txt for you.

:cheers:

• Ben Thomas likes this

#3 Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

wow, that was a fast response!

I'll leave a tiny tidbit of info for other isostick users:

look into a forensic Live CD called Paladin from Sumuri which can boot both pcs and macs.

Have fun :)

• elegantinvention likes this

#4 pktman

pktman

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I received a few days ago my isostick.

I have to say that I also love this product.

For now the only drawback I see is the limited number of ISOs that can display. I bought a 64Gb microSD, and I'm getting the ISOs I need but do not all show. This is a big problem when you do not have another pc to mount another iso. When you solve this limitation?

The cap would be nice, but do not see it as important.

Thank you very much for this great product.

#5 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

@pktman, please try running a Firmware Update to r1624 as this version solves the issue you mentioned.

#6 pktman

pktman

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks, now works fine

#7 Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I seem to be running into problems getting newer macs recognize the isostick as a CD drive. I can get to the isosel menu, select the iso, then the machine just reboots and the iso just hangs :/ the image boots fine from a physical CD though. Is this related to the EFI issue? I dont mean to harry you with questions but any ETA on a solution?

To other isostick owners,

have you come across any live cd's that work on both macs and pc's? I work at the helpdesk so any tools, recommendations would appreciated :)

#8 bblaauw

bblaauw

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Did you already verify your Isostick works/boots properly on a non-Apple computer? A tool like RUFUS (google: 'rufus dos usb' ) is quite usefull for getting the microSD card in decent shape (FAT32 instead of exFAT or whatever).

Fedora 18 and maybe PartedMagic might be good testing ISO files, even for Mac.

#9 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

I seem to be running into problems getting newer macs recognize the isostick as a CD drive. I can get to the isosel menu, select the iso, then the machine just reboots and the iso just hangs :/ the image boots fine from a physical CD though. Is this related to the EFI issue?

It is normal for it to reboot, but it shouldn't hang of course, hmmm...

Which iso were you using, and at what point did it hang?

#10 Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I was using a version of Ubuntu [Sumuri Paladin] it's a forensic live CD. it throws a few lines for loading the boot menu for the CD and hangs. I tried with a fresh download and got the same result.

#11 greggorievich

greggorievich
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

I'll jump in here as well.

When I received and had a chance to play a bit with my isostick (the extra two days waiting for my MicroSDXC card was excruciating) I just walked into my boss' office and said "I am holding in my hand the most fantastic and brilliant piece of technology that ever graced your office."

After I explained, he agreed. "Where on earth was that thing when I was trying to update my ultrabook to Windows8?!"

I initially thought I would lament the lack of a protective cap, until I looked at all my other USB things and noticed that I lost all the other caps. /shrug

The only issue I've had so far is that some really old hardware will have limited/no functionality (one machine only saw the Flash Drive and not the emulated DVD Drive, and another didn't recognize it at all (I think it predated USB storage entirely, though).

I have yet to run it through its paces as much as I'd like, but I'll make sure to test it on every machine I get a chance to.

• elegantinvention likes this

#12 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I was using a version of Ubuntu [Sumuri Paladin] it's a forensic live CD. it throws a few lines for loading the boot menu for the CD and hangs. I tried with a fresh download and got the same result.

Thanks, is that the disc from sumuri.com? If so, which version? I'm downloading 3.0.3 and 4 beta 2 and will give them a test on a MacBook Air (mid 2011, if I recall correctly) some time soon. By the way, would you be willing to run some debug firmware if I cannot reproduce the issue here? It will produce a crashdump file that I'll need you to send back to me for analysis.

... one machine only saw the Flash Drive and not the emulated DVD Drive, ...

Ooh interesting, the opposite (BIOS sees CD, but no Flash) is quite common, but I had not heard of this :)

I have yet to run it through its paces as much as I'd like, but I'll make sure to test it on every machine I get a chance to.

#13 greggorievich

greggorievich
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Elegantinvention: It was a flaky Intel server board. I'm not sure if it was related to the isostick or the board itself, because a BIOS update ended up killing it entirely.

#14 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

@greggorievich, ahh ok!

#15 Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

Thanks, is that the disc from sumuri.com? If so, which version? I'm downloading 3.0.3 and 4 beta 2 and will give them a test on a MacBook Air (mid 2011, if I recall correctly) some time soon. By the way, would you be willing to run some debug firmware if I cannot reproduce the issue here? It will produce a crashdump file that I'll need you to send back to me for analysis.

Ooh interesting, the opposite (BIOS sees CD, but no Flash) is quite common, but I had not heard of this :)

yes, it is from sumuri.com. And it is version 3.03. I would be more than happy to help with the debugging, provided you give me detailed instructions :P
Sorry for the late reply. Just been a little busy at the helpdesk with all the kids coming back to college.

Edited by Ben Thomas, 24 January 2013 - 03:54 AM.

#16 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

@Ben Thomas, awesome, thanks! I will give it a shot today and see if it works. If I can't reproduce the issue, I'll come back with instructions and a debug firmware package :cheers:

Sorry for the late reply. Just been a little busy at the helpdesk with all the kids coming back to college. 

No worries, I've been swamped at work as well  :juggler: 

Speaking of which, it's time to go locate more caffeine and shovel some snow before I get back to coding!  :hyper:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users